• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If we're discussing Custom Robo - then one of those illegal bots has to be the new Assist Trophy if Ray MK were to become playable one day.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If we're discussing Custom Robo - then one of those illegal bots has to be the new Assist Trophy if Ray MK were to become playable one day.
Jameson would be cool. Either that, Rahu, or Hadron. Jameson would be the most recognizable, though, as you fight a lot of those.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To be fair.
I didn't say he'd be slow.
Just heavy.
Example: :4littlemac:

(Edit: Possibly have his second jump being a different kind of float that's more like a jetpack with limited range but then the up B being an explosive launch. Once again, limited knowledge)

But yeah, I didn't know about the logistics of their size. The Brawl AT made him appear about the side of a Medabot.
Could you elaborate here? I'm not sure what you mean, or whom it is to which you refer (Lil Mac or Ray). Is this where this next post comes in to play?

I always suggested that he gets 1 normal jump and then two quick 45° dashes as jump 2 and 3. He wouldn't have the normal double jump OR the multi jumps that some characters have. That would also be accurate to source material.
Max (Advance Wars)
Slim chance of him happening. Sami or Andy would get in before Max most likely, but Max would fit.
I truly believe any Wars rep would be, rather than an individual character, based more on gameplay mechanics (and a combination of a few characters upon such, such as Duck Hunt).

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Could you elaborate here? I'm not sure what you mean, or whom it is to which you refer (Lil Mac or Ray). Is this where this next post comes in to play?

I truly believe any Wars rep would be, rather than an individual character, based more on gameplay mechanics (and a combination of a few characters upon such, such as Duck Hunt).
You realize I was discussing Ray from Custom Robo, correct?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

My point was that someone with a fair amount of weight wouldn't have to be slow, by citing Little Mac who is towards the upper end of things, misunderstanding that Brandi was saying that the weight would hold back the aerial mobility that the fighters are known for in Custom Robo

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I assumed so, but wanted to know upon what in game the information was based, as it seemed particularly specific.
Those air dashes are accurate to the entire Ray model line to my knowledge. I guess I can't speak for the Ray models that appeared in the Japan only games, but Ray models always get 1 jump plus 2 air dashes, and that is definite for the most highly requested models, which are Ray 01 from the GCN game, and Ray Mk III which was the AT as well as the main Robo in the DS game. The 45 degree angle was just so the jumps still caused a gain in height.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I pictured him to be roughly Squirtle sized. Maybe slightly taller.
I can honestly see him that size to be fair. It'd be more interesting to have a small-robot-ranged fighter to add to the roster.

I don't have much of thoughts about what 'robos' could be considered as such in a hypothetical future game of Smash, but I can see IF this one is a boss, then would be RAHU. One of the coolest 'robos' for that role, IMO.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Also a clarification thing... Ray MK is not a character. The MK only stands for "Mark", as in Ray mark III. "Ray" is the model. You can see that with the Ray Robos Ray 01, Ray AIRS, Ray Sky, and others. That's just a little thing that bugs me as a series superfan. :p I feel that I need to clarify that about the name of the character.

EDIT: I also found this which displays the size of the Robo compared to a human, probably around 5'7"-5'10":
Follow this link http://s904.photobucket.com/user/ArmedHibiki/media/DQ4AB/Crahero.jpg.html

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
@AzureWarrior So it appears that you're friendly neighbor has heard his game being advertised! XD Anyways, I saw the F-Zero fans weren't happy about the current state of things so allow me to share a comic with you....

tumblr_nqxtzh0wki1sfv573o1_500.png

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Also a clarification thing... Ray MK is not a character. The MK only stands for "Mark", as in Ray mark III. "Ray" is the model. You can see that with the Ray Robos Ray 01, Ray AIRS, Ray Sky, and others. That's just a little thing that bugs me as a series superfan. :p I feel that I need to clarify that about the name of the character.

EDIT: I also found this which displays the size of the Robo compared to a human, probably around 5'7"-5'10":
Follow this link http://s904.photobucket.com/user/ArmedHibiki/media/DQ4AB/Crahero.jpg.html
Pretty much. Unless you mention others like Javellin, Ape-Head, and such, then there's little to no worries about the 'MK' tidbit. Maybe people call it/him like that to point at the exact model? Who knows. Ray MK III from Brawl and Ray 01 being the ones MOST requested from the series; hence the use of MK or 01 most of the times around the Internet regarding Smash Bros.

:bowser:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I believe the ideal height for a Ray model from Custom Robo or Chibi-Robo would probably range close to Olimar / Squirtle's height, if not a tad smaller.

The only major problem is making it work. Chibi-Robo is known for being, well, chibi. And Ray's size as an assist trophy in Brawl definitely won't work for a playable character. But a character with multiple air dashes as opposed to a double jump could be interesting too. But he better have a good jump and up special then, you get spiked at like 40% and you're probably done if your Up Special isn't competent. It'd also make his recovery options very obvious since he would have no option but to recover high since he probably wouldn't be able to make it back if he went low.

Edit:
Hmmmm.... if it worked something like R.O.B.'s side special in Project: M that would be neat. Ray could be super rush down in that case, but go too far off stage and you've killed yourself. You would commit a stock for a stock, could be a fun to play and hype to watch playstyle.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Yeah you took the words out of my mouth there, heh.

He'd definitely need some way to turn around in the air, perhaps add a unique character mechanic where double tapping makes him turn around in the air? He'd need like three air dashes at least too. Having no double jump is a huge disadvantage.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah you took the words out of my mouth there, heh.

He'd definitely need some way to turn around in the air, perhaps add a unique character mechanic where double tapping makes him turn around in the air? He'd need like three air dashes at least too. Having no double jump is a huge disadvantage.
Maybe do it like Mega Man X4(?) where dashing immediately switches direction?

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
@AzureWarrior So it appears that you're friendly neighbor has heard his game being advertised! XD Anyways, I saw the F-Zero fans weren't happy about the current state of things so allow me to share a comic with you....

View attachment 79258
Ha! I'm reminded of that comic where Mario talks to Samus, Little Mac and Mega Man about being nervous returning/joining Smash like they haven't had or been in a game in years where they straight up death glare him XD

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Maybe do it like Mega Man X4(?) where dashing immediately switches direction?
Well this is assuming the dashing is done by jumping and not a special button, as Bradli Wartooth was suggesting. I mean if you change direction each time you press up Ray would definitely be zaney to watch, lol. Would also make it harder to do the chasing people off of the stage thing.

EDIT: I suppose a way around this is doing what Marth, Lucina, and Roy do and make his back aerial turn him around, my only fear is that a cancelable back aerial would definitely be his best tool since he could just throw it out at anytime and follow up with an air dash / another aerial / special. It would make poking and running away too easy.

But if the move takes too long, the air dash is useless and he'll need to use his up special to recover, which is why I think giving him the ability to change the way he's facing by double tapping would be the best thing to do. But if they could balance it right, it would be easier and make more sense to let him change direction by using his Back Aerial.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ray could also have both double jumps and then the air dashes could be his up-b. He gets two up+b's. But unlike other characters, he could act out of his up+b so you can use that as an approach like in the actual games.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

View attachment 79258

This comic is just too good.

And I don't know, wouldn't F-Zero fans hate the idea of a "Federation Force" happening to their universe? :p

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
To be honest, if the F-Zero Federation Force focused on Jody Summer, Lily Flyer, and John Tanaka rather than the Captain himself, I would probably buy it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
A whole page dedicated to Custom Robo discussion on every front: tears of happiness.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So the Strawpoll is over, most of the people who pertook in it believed the character was Inkling, it would happen at the end of the month, it was most likely fake, and that we'd get a direct this month. Thank you for participating!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
To be honest, if the F-Zero Federation Force focused on Jody Summer, Lily Flyer, and John Tanaka rather than the Captain himself, I would probably buy it.
Yes. I would love for this to happen even if it isn't a racing game. Jody is just one of those characters that need more spotlight and exploring how the Galactic Federation works in the F-Zero universe would be interesting. Falcon had enough time to shine in Smash IMO.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
What if Federation Force is setting up for an F-Zero-Metroid crossover?
I can already imagine how "beautiful" Jody would look in the game's artstyle. I mean, who wouldn't mind looking at those big, low poly "pixels"? :troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anthony Higgs teaming up with Falcon would be a dream come true.

"Remembah me?"

"Hyesh!"

I can already imagine how "beautiful" Jody would look in the game's artstyle. I mean, who wouldn't mind looking at those big, low poly "pixels"? :troll:
Hey, it already happened with Final Fantasy 7 and Tifa's low poly model. So who's to say that it can't happen again with Federation Force!Jody? Then they would still buy such a terrible game because of the fanservice potential. :laugh:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Crossover Twist: Captain Falcon is pre-surgery Samus.

*Was that thing about Samus being trans legitimate?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Then they should have made f zero x metroid instead of someone random side game.

Either way, I'm not to sure I'd be a fan of f zero and metroid sharing a universe. The f-zero universe is more like a super over the top comic book, while the metroid universe is far more gritty. It could work but I don't know.

At this point Though, I just want any f-zero game that doesn't suck

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
A whole page dedicated to Custom Robo discussion on every front: tears of happiness.
It's really refreshing tbh. Whenever I brought him up in the past, this thread wrote him off a few posts later. It's nice to see him getting legitimate discussion away from the Ray thread.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I don't even think its fair to compare first party to third. It's been said many times that when it comes to choosing third parties its different when picking a first or even a second party character. You can't compare Nintendo owned characters to how they get picked compared to a character that is owned completely to another company. The qualifications are totally different, even more so now the fact we got Ryu as a third party DLC character should be a sign that Sakurai hasn't toned down his qualifications on third party even if it is just for DLC.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That is true, Sakurai looks for iconography and popularity when it comes to most third ladies. That's why a certain darkhorse character of mines will never happen in Smash since she's not iconic nor are her games considered mindblowingly good in the video game industry (Kind of like Dynasty Warriors). Asuka would a pretty fun combo heavy ninja with a variety of skills and aerial options due to how versatile Senran Kagura's fighting system is.

She suffers from the same issues as Bayonetta, being too sexy for what could be an E+10 rated fighter. Some drastic changes would have to be made like censoring her skirt like what happened to the princesses, avoiding the clothing damage mechanic from the SK games, and removing the jiggle physics (not like it's really possible to happen in Smash anyways). But I do know that the games would provide for some excellent stage ideas and music (especially the freaking music).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That is true, Sakurai looks for iconography and popularity when it comes to most third ladies. That's why a certain darkhorse character of mines will never happen in Smash since she's not iconic nor are her games considered mindblowingly good in the video game industry (Kind of like Dynasty Warriors). Asuka would a pretty fun combo heavy ninja with a variety of skills and aerial options due to how versatile Senran Kagura's fighting system is.

She suffers from the same issues as Bayonetta, being too sexy for what could be an E+10 rated fighter. Some drastic changes would have to be made like censoring her skirt like what happened to the princesses, avoiding the clothing damage mechanic from the SK games, and removing the jiggle physics (not like it's really possible to happen in Smash anyways). But I do know that the games would provide for some excellent stage ideas and music (especially the freaking music).
Exactly. Asuka has way more problems than Bayonetta and you said them all in one post like a real fan. At least in Bayonetta's case, she has that huge cult following going for her and the sales surpass that of your average SK title by a huge margin. Any gamer can recognize the black witch at least while only (sorry if this offends you) weeaboos would know who Asuka is. Which is more of a reason why I can't see Sakurai picking her over bigger characters like Simon Belmont or Ryu Hayabusa or your average Final Fantasy character.

So it would be way too much work for any character from the SK games to be toned down for a younger audience. This is not like Dead or Alive when they can avoid the more "controversial" costumes all together or limit the Wicked Weave in Bayonetta's attacks. Doubt the DLC would even sell that well like the others because she is that obscure and even the most hardcore of Nintendo fans wouldn't buy it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How likely do people see another 3rd party in DLC, by the way?
Outside of the Sonic series, SEGA doesn't quite have any franchise of the same level as the ones already in the game. Same with Namco.

I don't see indies like Shantae and Shovel Knight as particularly likely either, yet.

:231:

Outside of the Sonic series, SEGA doesn't quite have any franchise of the same level as the ones already in the game. Same with Namco.

I don't see indies like Shantae and Shovel Knight as particularly likely either, yet.

It depends on how many more DLC characters we will get.

In my opinion, if there's only three left, another third-party is not very likely, but if there's six, then it's quite likely.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Exactly. Asuka has way more problems than Bayonetta and you said them all in one post like a real fan. At least in Bayonetta's case, she has that huge cult following going for her and the sales surpass that of your average SK title by a huge margin. Any gamer can recognize the black witch at least while only (sorry if this offends you) weeaboos would know who Asuka is. Which is more of a reason why I can't see Sakurai picking her over bigger characters like Simon Belmont or Ryu Hayabusa or your average Final Fantasy character.

So it would be way too much work for any character from the SK games to be toned down for a younger audience. This is not like Dead or Alive when they can avoid the more "controversial" costumes all together or limit the Wicked Weave in Bayonetta's attacks. Doubt the DLC would even sell that well like the others because she is that obscure and even the most hardcore of Nintendo fans wouldn't buy it.
Sadly, everything you said is the truth. Sakurai going for the E+10 is making things difficult and the series isn't very popular among Nintendo fans/gamers to even warrant haviing a place in Smash. From what I understand, you have to be an icon in other to become a proper guest in the series. Which is a real shame since I might be one of the few SK fans that would want a character in Snash regardless of the severe censorship she will go through. :(

It's becoming much less likely to be me. Sega and Namco don't have many iconic characters to be used, even their most popular characters are too obscure for the general public (Valkyrie and Arle Nadja respectively).

The only way I see a new third party happening is if Sakurai would negotiate with Microsoft for Banjo (unlikely), Tecmo for Ryu (Unpopular), or Square for Slime/FF reps (Too stingy).

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860

But Namco owns the Tales Of Series. And Lloyd is a pretty popular character. But definitely not as popular as Sonic.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I don't think a second Sonic character is impossible but other than that Sega has nothing else, I'm not really sure about Namco though since Lloyd is a mii costume, maybe someone from Tekken?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom