• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
I will still maintain that a character being fun to play as is the most important facet of them getting into Smash.
Yeah, the character need to be fun in a general opinion (because is imposible to make a character that everyone likes xD)

That's the thing though. There isn't a single character every single fan wants.
I agree... Pretty much any popular option has detractors.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Dlc now please.
ty

Just saying what everyone's thinking. That and the well of useful information pertaining to upcoming dlc is running super dry here. It's like zombified hype, we're just making sure we're still shuffling our feet towards the unknown finish line by saying the same things over and over again with little twists and turns. Can not wait for something juicy to revive me from what's become a pathetic habit of over checking the main page/this thread/YouTube current vids... Help me lol

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Fans will always complain who the developers chose no matter what.

K.rool
"Ugh, seriously?"

Wolf
"WHY ANOTHER CLONE WTF"

Snake
"Ugh, a veteran.."

Sceptile
"WTF Sakurai, there was already enough Pokemon

"Shantae"
"Eww, an indie character"

The list goes on.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I think it's too soon too call them a 'mainstay' in Nintendo, it's almost inevitable that they will blow up, but 5 months is not enough time to call them as such, and even if you're super optimistic about it, there are other characters that have established themselves as important to Nintendo that have been overlooked (K. Rool, though I'm indifferent to his inclusion, is the first to come to mind), so to me, even if they are/will be mainstays, that argument alone is not enough to justify it if other characters out there already fit that description and have for years
But pretty much every major Nintendo franchise has a playable character in Smash except Ice Climbers (thanks to the 3DS), Rhythm Heaven (even though we came close to getting a rep), & now Splatoon. Like I said, the Inklings are inevitable. It'd be best to strike while the iron's hot.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I will still maintain that a character being fun to play as is the most important facet of them getting into Smash.
It's honestly not though

Smash has always been about pitting your favourite Nintendo icons against other icons. It doesn't matter how good an obscure character like WFT or DHD's moveset is, they're not characters that people have always dreamed of pitting against Mario and Link.

When the vanilla game came out, the fan base wasn't satisfied with the roster because characters like WFT and DHD had interesting movesets. They were wondering where characters like K. Rool and Mewtwo were.

When Sakurai gives us obscure characters and tries to justify it by moveset, the fans still want their K. Rool. If Sakurai had given us K. Rool, no one would be complaining about the lack of an obscure character with an interesting moveset. This roster has received far more hate than previous rosters precisely because it focused more on interesting movesets for unwanted characters, than just giving us the characters we wanted..

Basically, giving fans the characters they want has historically made them happier than giving them characters they didn't want and trying to compensate with good movesets.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I saw this. Exact same thing as the Pokemon Go thing. Different people keep teasing big announces. Pikmin 4, Pokemon Go info, the new DeNA game... something is coming, we just don't know when.

How many hours left before the "Direct's Endline"?

Oh hahaha xD I remember that phrase.... But don't exactly who use it xD

Some days I think about the Fire Emblem characters chances in the ballot and future Smash outside the new relevant character... Maybe I'm dreaming too much, because I don't have concrete ideas about anything.
There is no deadline/Endline for a Direct. For this week, though, probably tomorrow. Wednesday and Thursday are common days for non game-specific Nintendo Directs (15 on Wednesdays and 10 on Thursdays), but even Friday is possible (there's only been 5 on Fridays, though). The only days we can probably rule out are weekends (they had a couple on weekends very early on) and Mondays (the only non game-specific Direct on a Monday was the pre-E3 2015 mini Direct, and that wasn't live streamed).

But pretty much every major Nintendo franchise has a playable character in Smash except Ice Climbers (thanks to the 3DS), Rhythm Heaven (even though we came close to getting a rep), & now Splatoon. Like I said, the Inklings are inevitable. It'd be best to strike while the iron's hot.
Ice Climber isn't a "major" Nintendo franchise. No, just because it got into Smash doesn't make it a "major" franchise. It has exactly one game released 30 years ago. It can't even be called a franchise honestly.

Rhythm Heaven isn't really a "major" franchise, either. Its just on the high end of the more minor franchise, right ahead of Golden Sun and Advance Wars. Advance Wars is even a much longer running franchise (its just got meh sales). Splatoon is probably the next major Nintendo franchise, though.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's honestly not though

Smash has always been about pitting your favourite Nintendo icons against other icons. It doesn't matter how good an obscure character like WFT or DHD's moveset is, they're not characters that people have always dreamed of pitting against Mario and Link.

When the vanilla game came out, the fan base wasn't satisfied with the roster because characters like WFT and DHD had interesting movesets. They were wondering where characters like K. Rool and Mewtwo were.

When Sakurai gives us obscure characters and tries to justify it by moveset, the fans still want their K. Rool. If Sakurai had given us K. Rool, no one would be complaining about the lack of an obscure character with an interesting moveset. This roster has received far more hate than previous rosters precisely because it focused more on interesting movesets for unwanted characters, than just giving us the characters we wanted..

Basically, giving fans the characters they want has historically made them happier than giving them characters they didn't want and trying to compensate with good movesets.
Is it though? People still complain about Ganondorf having a cloned moveset. I do think that who the character is is a part of liking the roster (as evidenced by the fact that unlike most clones, no one wants to see Ganondorf go), but if there is to be satisfaction, each character must be unique no matter who it is.

EDIT: And don't forget, a character you don't care about now may introduce you to your favorite series.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Is it though? People still complain about Ganondorf having a cloned moveset. I do think that who the character is is a part of liking the roster (as evidenced by the fact that unlike most clones, no one wants to see Ganondorf go), but if there is to be satisfaction, each character must be unique no matter who it is.
Well I think it has to be within reason. If Ganondorf got a unique moveset in Melee, no one would complain about him. I think DK and Bowser are two really good examples of what I'm talking about. Two characters with very bland movesets that barely reference their games at all, yet no one really complains because they're inconic characters.

The previous games had very uninspired movesets, when Sakurai was balancing the game by himself. It was only until Namco-Bandia got on board for this game that we started seeing some genuinely rich and creative movesets. Yet despite having the best movesets this is the most hated roster because of the characters chosen.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
You're presuming that they'll stay huge, I don't want a character in smash because "They'll probably be big someday"

Burruni

Smash Hero
Since when is Ice Climbers a "major Nintendo franchise?"
...Since when is it a franchise, period?

If you listed something like Golden Sun or Advance Wars I understand, and I miss Icies a ton but they don't fit that term

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
We've come to the point where Inklings are considered inevitable by some now as the next character.

A certain Wolf was also considered inevitable for a return months ago...we're at mid-October and the ballot's over, guys, and no signs of him anywhere. High chance, sure, but inevitable is hardly the correct word here for either character. There's a margin of error that needs to be accounted for.

If you don't, well, there's something that's actually inevitable that follows in this whole thing called disappointment.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
We've come to the point where Inklings are considered inevitable by some now as the next character.

A certain Wolf was also considered inevitable for a return months ago...we're at mid-October and the ballot's over, guys, and no signs of him anywhere. High chance, sure, but inevitable is hardly the correct word here for either character. There's a margin of error that needs to be accounted for.

If you don't, well, there's something that's actually inevitable that follows in this whole thing called disappointment.
Actually, I think we're in disappointment right now with lack of news.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead

It's the result of news starvation. That's literally it. Everybody (including me) is clawing at any kind of information they can get, legit or not.

I hate brussel sprouts, but I would gladly stuff myself with them if I was starving to death.

Edit: nvm :4greninja:'d lol

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's also true, yet it's bound to change sooner or later. At worst, November, and at best those rumors of a Direct next week are confirmed.
I believe the rumors of a Direct were for this week more than next. Granted, I fully expect one this month. I'd be shocked if we didn't get one.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Fans will always complain who the developers chose no matter what.
That's why you put characters in the game that will please more people than piss off. Even if there are people who'd hate on K. Rool, even more people want him and would be happy to have him. That's what you got to remember.

With a character like Dark Pit, more people seem unhappy with his inclusion than there are people happy to see him there. Well I don't have the numbers but it seems that way (I could be wrong).

Meanwhile, a with character like Mega Man, more people are happy with his inclusion than unhappy people.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
It's honestly not though

Honestly just because a very, very vocal minority (yes, minority, even as high as 49% can still be a minority and I doubt half of the fandom felt this way) was dissatisfied with the base roster doesn't mean characters like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt goes against what Smash Bros is about; if anything they're exactly what it's about. Sakurai has said several times that it's about celebrating Nintendo's rich history. Pitting the on-screen avatar from the Wii Fit series against the dog from that old NES game in the Animal Crossing village using Pokeballs and Super Mushrooms is the very definition of what makes Smash Bros so great. It gets 2 different characters from 2 ends of Nintendo's rich history together in one game.

Does this mean King K. Rool didn't deserve to get in? Of course not, he was the primary antagonist for the DK series for years, it would give the DK series a 3rd rep and add in another villain (2 things we really need). But that doesn't mean characters like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt didn't deserve to get in. And I wish people would stop acting like Smash 4 is the first game that's done this kind of thing. Game & Watch, R.O.B., the Ice Climbers, Marth, Roy, Ness, Lucas, and Pit were all pretty out-there characters when they were first included in Smash (did anyone other than a small minority on the internet know what Mother 3 was? Who had ever played a Game & Watch game when Melee first came out?). And they're part of what makes Smash so great. Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus wouldn't be relevant today if not for their Smash inclusions. Yeah there hasn't been another Ice Climber game in 30 years and Earthbound is all but dead now, but still. And the Wii Fit series isn't even obscure, there's been several of those games since the Wii first came out, and I bet more people knew about it than people did about Fire Emblem when Melee came out or an obscure NES peripheral when Brawl came out.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Honestly just because a very, very vocal minority (yes, minority, even as high as 49% can still be a minority and I doubt half of the fandom felt this way) was dissatisfied with the base roster doesn't mean characters like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt goes against what Smash Bros is about; if anything they're exactly what it's about. Sakurai has said several times that it's about celebrating Nintendo's rich history. Pitting the on-screen avatar from the Wii Fit series against the dog from that old NES game in the Animal Crossing village using Pokeballs and Super Mushrooms is the very definition of what makes Smash Bros so great. It gets 2 different characters from 2 ends of Nintendo's rich history together in one game.

Does this mean King K. Rool didn't deserve to get in? Of course not, he was the primary antagonist for the DK series for years, it would give the DK series a 3rd rep and add in another villain (2 things we really need). But that doesn't mean characters like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt didn't deserve to get in. And I wish people would stop acting like Smash 4 is the first game that's done this kind of thing. Game & Watch, R.O.B., the Ice Climbers, Marth, Roy, Ness, Lucas, and Pit were all pretty out-there characters when they were first included in Smash (did anyone other than a small minority on the internet know what Mother 3 was? Who had ever played a Game & Watch game when Melee first came out?). And they're part of what makes Smash so great. Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus wouldn't be relevant today if not for their Smash inclusions. Yeah there hasn't been another Ice Climber game in 30 years and Earthbound is all but dead now, but still. And the Wii Fit series isn't even obscure, there's been several of those games since the Wii first came out, and I bet more people knew about it than people did about Fire Emblem when Melee came out or an obscure NES peripheral when Brawl came out.
WFT should've just been an AT or something. Maybe give her a stage, because the franchise is pretty big. They can pay homage to her without making her a character. Character slots should be saved for characters that were actually requested and that people actually want to pit against other icons.

In previous games it was just one or two obscure characters. The majority of the newcomers were popular icons, so people didn't complain too much. The biggest one though was Mewtwo being excluded from Brawl, when you had unrequested characters like ROB instead. Mewtwo should've been the priority there. The fanbase would've been much happier getting Mewtwo back than getting ROB.

The problem is as the roster is getting to 50+, people are starting to expect the prominent side characters or sub-series to be included now. The Dixies, the Impas, the Paper Marios etc. Instead this game we get a higher influx of unrequested characters than ever before. It wasn't just that there was unwanted characters, it's how many wanted characters didn't get in as well.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
This roster has received far more hate than previous rosters precisely because it focused more on interesting movesets for unwanted characters, than just giving us the characters we wanted.

I mean we have all these incredible character choices:4pacman::rosalina::4villager::4shulk::4megaman::4bowserjr::4littlemac: but no, let's hyperfocus on two "obscure" ones.

**** this site has become a glass half-empty crowd within the past couple of years.
We didn't apply this logic to :rob: :pit::lucario::toonlink: or:lucas:, why are we doing it now?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I mean we have all these incredible character choices:4pacman::rosalina::4villager::4shulk::4megaman::4bowserjr::4littlemac: but no, let's hyperfocus on two "obscure" ones.

**** this site has become a glass half-empty crowd within the past couple of years.
We didn't apply this logic to :rob: :pit::lucario::toonlink: or:lucas:, why are we doing it now?
They did..... when Brawl came out...

They also applied this logic to :marthmelee::roymelee::icsmelee::gawmelee::drmario::pichumelee::younglinkmelee: when Melee came out... but got over it when Brawl came out.

People will get over it when SSB5 comes out with even more questionable newcomers! :troll:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
If I have to say, I believe that the Inklings are better suited to push the roster of the next game rather than an add because of DLC. I mean, it does make some sense to add them as to help awareness of the games and popularity but I feel like they do fit better for that.

Kind of like what Olimar was to Brawl, and maybe Little Mac to SM4SH. Still some time since they were taken notice to, but still hype enough then.

:bowser:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If I have to say, I believe that the Inklings are better suited to push the roster of the next game rather than an add because of DLC. I mean, it does make some sense to add them as to help awareness of the games and popularity but I feel like they do fit better for that.

Kind of like what Olimar was to Brawl, and maybe Little Mac to SM4SH. Still some time since they were taken notice to, but still hype enough then.

:bowser:
That's fine, but Nintendo and especially Sakurai don't think that far ahead. I think they're probably coming as DLC. Whether or not they'll be the next character announced? Who knows. But I think they'll probably come.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well I think it has to be within reason. If Ganondorf got a unique moveset in Melee, no one would complain about him. I think DK and Bowser are two really good examples of what I'm talking about. Two characters with very bland movesets that barely reference their games at all, yet no one really complains because they're inconic characters.

The previous games had very uninspired movesets, when Sakurai was balancing the game by himself. It was only until Namco-Bandia got on board for this game that we started seeing some genuinely rich and creative movesets. Yet despite having the best movesets this is the most hated roster because of the characters chosen.
DK uses his ground pound and possibly the punch in DKC2 when he decked K.Rool in the shnoz. Bowser uses fire breath, his stomp attack from Mario 3 and he pretends he's a koopaling. We expect a giant turtle or monkey to move like this

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
DK uses his ground pound and possibly the punch in DKC2 when he decked K.Rool in the shnoz. Bowser uses fire breath, his stomp attack from Mario 3 and he pretends he's a koopaling. We expect a giant turtle or monkey to move like this
That's why I said 'barely'

But seriously, look at their movesets in Skylanders. They have incredibly rich movesets ripe with game references. It's almost painful to look at their Smash iterations after playing Skylanders. I think had they been newcomers in this game, they would've had much better movesets. All the unique newcomers got very creative movesets this game. I'm guessing that was Namco-Bandai's influence because before they were on-board the movesets were really uninspired.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's why I said 'barely'

But seriously, look at their movesets in Skylanders. They have incredibly rich movesets ripe with game references. It's almost painful to look at their Smash iterations after playing Skylanders. I think had they been newcomers in this game, they would've had much better movesets. All the unique newcomers got very creative movesets this game. I'm guessing that was Namco-Bandai's influence because before they were on-board the movesets were really uninspired.
Yes, it was TOTALLY Namco's decision for the movesets despite them not being the director. Some movesets are creative, some aren't. Namco has nothing to do with this, Sakurai comes up with the movesets every time

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yes, it was TOTALLY Namco's decision for the movesets despite them not being the director. Some movesets are creative, some aren't. Namco has nothing to do with this, Sakurai comes up with the movesets every time
Then I don't understand why all of them were so bland until Sm4sh

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

EDIT: And don't forget, a character you don't care about now may introduce you to your favorite series.
I think it's more the case that movesets are a reason to complain rather than a reason to celebrate. People will notice a bad moveset, but they wouldn't be nearly as concerned about a unique moveset that did everything it was supposed to do.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Then I don't understand why all of them were so bland until Sm4sh
:kirby64:Uses multiple attacks from other abilities, able to copy fighters and the only one to do so in Smash history
:falcon64:Nuff said
:link64:Uses the most iconic weaponry in the Zelda franchise, Bows, Bombs and Boomerangs
:marthmelee:A fencing style
:sheikmelee:A ninja, something that you have to try pretty hard at to make bland
:mewtwomelee:A powerful being that can die easily but destroy easily
Before I bring up other examples, define 'bland' and what you think a good moveset means

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
That's fine, but Nintendo and especially Sakurai don't think that far ahead. I think they're probably coming as DLC. Whether or not they'll be the next character announced? Who knows. But I think they'll probably come.
Perhaps. I am not against them but that's what I think as of right now. If the character does come and manages to be fun then even better.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Didn't the Brawl roster end up with a initially negative reception, in spite of all of the fan-favourites added?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
People wanted Wario in Smash.

People got upset when his moveset, despite being creative and dynamic, wasn't what they wanted.

You can't please everybody.

Just have fun with the characters you want to play and don't begrudge others the characters they want to play.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lol was he really? Based on what?
Popularity.

Didn't the Brawl roster end up with a initially negative reception, in spite of all of the fan-favourites added?
That has happened this time too, going by this site, at least.

Some people are bound to be disappointed, and some get so angry they break out the flamethrowers, and these flame-wars are the only things visible to outsiders and observers as they engulf everything else.

:231:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I LOVED Brawl's roster. Only thing that was lacking was Mewtwo. Isaac also would've been extremely nice, but I felt Brawl really had the best newcomers of all Smash games to date. Second being Melee, because Melee also added very 'needed' characters as Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Zelda, Marth, Mewtwo ect. but they also gave us the most clones and weird choices as Ice Climbers.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What's fun to someone is highly subjective.

I think Villager's moveset is a convoluted mess that I can never seem to pick up for the life of me. Yet others delight in axing trees and dropping bowling balls over ledges, and that's fine. Some are turned off by Robin's weapon durability, I see it as a fun application of strategy for keepaway style players.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What's fun to someone is highly subjective.

I think Villager's moveset is a convoluted mess that I can never seem to pick up for the life of me. Yet others delight in axing trees and dropping bowling balls over ledges, and that's fine. Some are turned off by Robin's weapon durability, I see it as a fun application of strategy for keepaway style players.
The weaponry respawns at such a high rate it doesn't matter though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom