• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I interpret it as the highest vote-getting character(s) that are feasible to make. Say the order is Shrek 1st, Banjo 2nd, K. Rool 3rd...K. Rool would be the winner because of how impossible the other two above him are. People like to forgo nuance and just say "because #1 may be Shrek, Nintendo should ignore the high feasible characters and do what it wants," like passing off lower newcomers by way of "it's a suggestion box." I don't think that's a good course of action, though...they put out a means for us to deliver character popularity data and ideas to them, and shouldn't ignore them if they don't match up with their preconceived notions of who to add.

Of course, like JaidynReiman JaidynReiman said, there will be more than one ballot character, therefore the winner isn't just the highest feasible vote-getter, but whoever else gets in from the ballot as well. "From the ballot" being key, since you could have high-ranking characters who get in independently, like Inklings seem positioned to do at the moment (or if they choose Shovel Knight to advance some agenda with Yacht Club, for example).
There is no accurate way to see who won the most votes, and that is a primary issue. Some people voted eight times a day, or on eight different devices. Should each of those count as a vote?
Should each point of internet access be given only one vote, the first one, and if so- how do families of multiple voters handle this, or public arenas?

We cannot go by 'Literal Number of votes,' because even that was very poorly moderated.

ErenJager ErenJager
Nintendo has been capitalizing on their IPs this year: from crossover games like Hyrule Warriors/Pokken/Mario Kart, to mobile gaming, to amiibo merchandise, to the upcoming amusement parks and theorized movies/netflix shoes- Nintendo has spent this year leveraging their IPs.
The poll will be put to this use, it would be moronic for them not to utilize this information.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This is, quite literally, the antithesis of what open-minded means. Too many people try to claim altruistic superiority in asserting that their opinion, which is just different or even less commonly believed, makes them open minded. It asserts that there is a 'quality' to what an open mind is, as if some beliefs are high-quality. Open mindedness is about quantity.

Hope this did not get too personal, but it is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I agree with your overall point, but not your example in Robin. Sakurai went on record to state that adding Robin completed the essence of Fire Emblem in Smash. If you wan to mention non-deserving characters in Smash bros, we can assume Dark Pit is a better example.
"Deservingness" is certainly not arbitrary- it holds a lot of validity in regard to character choice. That said, it is impossible to codify, which makes it difficult to argue.
I'm not talking about what Sakurai says about Robin. I was speaking in terms of fan reception. I didn't like the concept of Robin before seeing him, but I liked him once I played as him.

I don't use the clones to argue anything because they aren't the same thing as a fully fledged character. They're a unique circumstance.

As far as it being arbitrary, the problem is that fans like to use "they're deserving" simply to support their character and it's not consistent. What justifies deserving a spot is different to everybody. Some people would argue that K.Rool isn't deserving. To them it makes sense, to others it doesn't. Same thing with Inklings. Somebody will say they aren't deserving because they don't fit their own criteria, but it's just that...one persons criteria.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Iwata's death was not unexpected; he had a very rare form of cancer, which was a source of his poor health for multiple years.
As a company, regardless of how much he may have meant to them (and to gaming), they must move forward. Iwata's death being used as an excuse to lack of followup information, is uninformed.
Yes, it was. They thought he was recovering and would be able to get through it, but then it came back in full force unexpectedly. This likely messed up their plans they had for a few months. People are making a big deal out of this, like its taking way too long to get information. However, with the death of Iwata, undoubtedly numerous Directs and the like did get delayed, and its not so easy to put them back into full force right away, it will take a couple of months. They need to have a Direct this month, that's true, but to say Iwata's death shouldn't have caused a delay this long is ridiculous, of course it did.

The company had to decide if they should follow what Iwata had planned or rethink things.

They had to make plans to determine how to handle future events Iwata already had planned in advance. He probably expected to make a full recovery and they had plans lined up for announcements and events.

They had to find a person to replace Iwata and handle leadership. Once this came into play, it would still take a little while for everything to take effect so they could continue to plan events with everyone in their full positions.

Anyway, I wrote an analysis on Nintendo Directs over the past few years since they first started. I went through every non game-specific Nintendo Direct and determined what date it fell on, here's the results: (skip the spoiler to just go straight to the results).

The problem with this logic is that a lot of Directs have happened on both Thursday and Friday as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Direct_presentations

The very first Nintendo Direct was on a Friday, the second was on Tuesday (both in 2011, first was NA and Japan in October, second Japan only in December).

2012 added Europe and had one for all three in February on a Wednesday.

April 2012 had two Directs on Saturdays (one in Korea, the other in Europe and NA).

June 2012 had a Sunday and Thursday (the first was E3).

July 2012 had the first game-exclusive Directs.

August 2012 had a Japan only Direct on Wednesday.

September 2012 had a Wii U Direct on a Thurday and other game-exclusive Directs.

There was a Europe only Direct on October 2012 on a Thursday and a Japan/NA Direct two weeks later on a Thursday. The last day of the month (a Wednesday) there was a Korea Direct.

November and December 2012 had three major Directs on Wednesdays. In November, one Wii U Direct for all three regions, and one Wii U Direct for just Japan/NA, with another general Direct for all three regions.

Another Wii U Direct was on a Wednesday in January 2013.

February 2013 had three different Directs, one in reach region, on a Thursday. Basically its a general Direct, but more different between the regions; Japan has a special Luigi 3DS Direct, NA a general Direct, and Europe a 3DS Direct.

Japan later got its own 3DS Direct a week after the prior on Thursday.

April 2013 had another split Direct on a Wednesday (NA general, Luigi in Japan, 3DS in Europe.

May 2013 finally brings back a Friday general Direct with a Japan-only SEGA Direct and general Direct in Europe/NA on the same day.

E3 2013 had Directs on Tuesday (first Tuesday in a while).

July 2013 has one Japan-only Mini Direct on a Wednesday and a NA/Europe Mini Direct on a Thursday.

Another Wednesday Direct in August 2013.

A Tuesday Direct in October 2013 with a Korea Direct on a Thursday.

Another Wednesday Direct in November 2013, this one is NA/Europe. A Japan Mini Direct was on Thursday, though. Probably about the same time, Japan was just late that day.

Another Wednesday Direct in December 2013, Wednesdays are becoming a bit more common.

January 2014 has a Korea Direct on a Friday.

February 2014 has the first Direct I see where the the timing of the Direct puts it in Japan on a Friday but NA/Europe on a Thursday. Well, ok, the November 2013 Direct was, but in Japan that was a Mini.

E3 2014's Digital Event was on Tuesday.

A Japan-only 3DS Direct in July 2014 on a Friday.

Another Japan-only 3DS Direct in August on a Friday (Shulk was revealed in this one).

September 2014 had an Australia 3DS Direct on a Wednesday.

Another Wednesday/Thursday Direct in all main regions in November 2014.

Another Wednesday/Thursday Direct in all main regions in January 2015.

Another Wednesday/Thursday Direct in all main regions in April 2015.

May 2015 had the Japan-only Direct on Tuesday.

June 2015 had the NA-only Micro Direct on a Monday (this wasn't a live presentation, though). This is the only time a general Direct dropped on a Monday.

The E3 2015 Digital Event was on Thursday.

And this year has, simply put, been the largest TOTAL drought of Nintendo Directs ever since Directs started in 2011; three months without a single Nintendo Direct, not even ANY game-specific Directs. At the very least in the past there were some Japan-only game-specific Directs or something.

So, to round everything up:

Monday: 0 (the pre-E3 NA-only Mini Direct wasn't live streamed, so it doesn't count)
Tuesday: 4
Wednesday: 15
Thursday: 10
Friday: 5
Saturday: 2
Sunday: 1

So yes, Wednesday does have the most, but Thursday is pretty damn close. Its not like 90% of all Directs are on Wednesdays or anything. And we simply had three Wednesday Directs right in a row at the end of last year beginning of this year.

NOTES:
1.) I'm counting cross-day Directs as being part of the first day, since cross-day Directs like these would be very early morning the next day in Japan/Australia.
2.) I'm only counting general Directs. This includes E3 presentations and console-specific Directs.
3.) The last three "normal" Directs (from November 2014 to April 2015) have all been Wednesday/Thursday, but Thursday Directs are pretty common as well.
Thursday is the last reasonable day to possibly expect a Nintendo Direct. We can easily have a Direct on Thursday. A Friday Direct, like Octogirl is thinking, is incredibly unlikely. We have had them, but they're so few and far between. However, we cannot write off a Thursday Direct at all.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Fire Emblem gets to use the polls, you say? Imagine the salt if we only have FE characters from now on. Wouldn't mind as long as the characters are cool personally
I was referring to the word choice, before someone wanted to call me out for a censor dodge.
Totally different word with similar meaning.

That said, if the leaks are real, I want it to be someone who manages to squeeze into the criteria (first party, logical choice to get in, not because of the ballot, hype-worthy) but managed to be kinda left field.

...Like Ganon.

I hope it's Ganon, in short.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, I can see Sakurai going back on his word after one time, but after two, I can't see him adding Ridley, especially since he's been established as a stage boss. Also... what about Chrom? (I crie every thime) Also... Arowana Mall? What about Urchin Underpass or Splatspray Rig? This leak makes no sense.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There is no accurate way to see who won the most votes, and that is a primary issue. Some people voted eight times a day, or on eight different devices. Should each of those count as a vote?
Should each point of internet access be given only one vote, the first one, and if so- how do families of multiple voters handle this, or public arenas?

We cannot go by 'Literal Number of votes,' because even that was very poorly moderated.
With regard to spammers, there are ways to easily weed out spammers on basic user-friendly Internet polls. There's no reason Nintendo can't have a similar algorithm in place to prevent that for their own massive worldwide one.

Nintendo's own poor instruction on how to handle multiple votes per device shouldn't excuse them from actually listening to results at all. It's certainly no good excuse for them to plug their ears where feasible frontrunners are concerned, barring potential obvious cases of trolling (Lanky Kong at the #1 spot, for example). Say Character A gets 20,000 votes and Character B gets 5,000...Nintendo has no rational reason to think that Character A is "overrated by vocal fans" and Character B is "actually more popular among a silent majority." Fans know better, whether or not they care.

The Internet always exists if they need to corroborate character support, in case they wonder whether it's reasonable that Daisy won the poll by a 100k vote margin.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
This is, quite literally, the antithesis of what open-minded means. Too many people try to claim altruistic superiority in asserting that their opinion, which is just different or even less commonly believed, makes them open minded. It asserts that there is a 'quality' to what an open mind is, as if some beliefs are high-quality. Open mindedness is about quantity.
Missed the point by several light years. I'm open to anyone joining in including the characters everyone seems to hate.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

Hope this did not get too personal, but it is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I agree with your overall point, but not your example in Robin. Sakurai went on record to state that adding Robin completed the essence of Fire Emblem in Smash. If you wan to mention non-deserving characters in Smash bros, we can assume Dark Pit is a better example.
"Deservingness" is certainly not arbitrary- it holds a lot of validity in regard to character choice. That said, it is impossible to codify, which makes it difficult to argue.
It's possible to be open-minded and mad about something being included...being open-minded means you're willing to listen to arguments and accept other stances if they prove to have valid arguments, not follow blindly and be content with everything. What you're describing sounds more like easy-going or ambivalent than open-minded.

If someone can provide me with a good reason why Inkling or Character X should be in, I am open to hearing it, if it does not convince me, however, I will not support the decision.

Also, open-mindedness being about quantity makes very little sense to me, I don't even understand what you're trying to say with that

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nothing still on the Direct? How rare is an unannounced one?
We could easily get a Direct announced tomorrow for Thursday, but its extremely unlikely it'll be unannounced. That said I've seen them announced very late the night before.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Tbh I feel like the direct release time prediction was pulled from thin air. It's to be expected we'd have one soon but no real signs point to exact times and dates beyond speculation. So I won't lose sleep if they don't mention it by tomorrow.

Never would I want to admit my craving for an announcement of an announcement, but here I am... What has this game done to me

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Tbh I feel like the direct release time prediction was pulled from thin air. It's to be expected we'd have one soon but no real signs point to exact times and dates beyond speculation. So I won't lose sleep if they don't mention it by tomorrow.

Never would I want to admit my craving for an announcement of an announcement, but here I am... What has this game done to me
The times were pulled out of thin air, which is why people shouldn't jump to conclusions about it if nothing gets announced right away. Octogirl said several times it was only speculation about when the Direct would be and when it would be announced. And she's assuming there'd have to be a Direct to announce the new info (and frankly I agree, most content Splatoon puts out has things announce well in advance, but they haven't said anything about this update at all, and this past Splatfest was delayed in Europe and in Japan its Squid vs. Octopus, teasing at Octolings becoming playable).

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
And also the Mario Maker stage wasn't even announced til around 10pm EST. I don't think they care too terribly much about time of announcements. Obviously there's an ideal time, but that doesn't mean they're going to stick to it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And also the Mario Maker stage wasn't even announced til around 10pm EST. I don't think they care too terribly much about time of announcements. Obviously there's an ideal time, but that doesn't mean they're going to stick to it.
I'm pretty sure they've announced Directs way late in the day as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So was a direct supposed to be revealed today or something?
Not necessarily. No one said there'd be a specific time for a Direct. Octogirl said through datamining that a huge Splatoon update is supposed to be dropping at the end of the week. She said she figured there'd probably be a Nintendo Direct some time this week, and her speculation was the 14th would be the Direct and on Friday (the 16th) the update dropped.

At least, that's what most people thought she said. Today she's claiming she meant a Nintendo Direct announced on the 14th and ready by Friday. Regardless, she did say it was speculation right from the start, and there's no guarantee it will happen.

Regardless, I agree with her assumption that we'd probably have to get a Nintendo Direct. Normally they announce these things in advance, but we've heard nothing about these updates that are coming in, and there's some suspicious things going on with Splatoon as well. Splatoon's European Splatfest this past weekend was cancelled, while the Japanese one is Squid vs. Octopus (its in regards to food, but still). The update is supposed to include playable Octolings, and that's a PRETTY BIG update.

There's also a lot of news missing for various upcoming releases (Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam needs new info), a possible Twilight Princess HD, a Skull Kid trailer for Hyrule Warriors Legends (Toon Link got gameplay a week after he was announced and all characters revealed in Famitsu for Hyrule Warriors had the same) as well as a roundup of all the HWL info announced since E3, a launch trailer for Tri Force Heroes, Pokemon Go info, Nintendo's new Mobile title launching this year, etc. So plenty of things to announce in a Nintendo Direct.

Ezequieleste

Smash Apprentice
So was a direct supposed to be revealed today or something?
There was some rumor floating around about a direct the 14th. Imo, the next direct is going and has to be something big. Think about it, it's the first direct since Iwata sadly passed away, Nintendo has undergone a lot of changes after this. The new leaders of the company need to show to us, the customers, and the investors how are they going to manage the company from now on. I expect something important before the end of this month, and would made a lot of sense that they announce the Direct with some anticipation, because it should be the way they want us to the see Nintendo now. Just speculation by myself, could be wrong :/

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There was some rumor floating around about a direct the 14th. Imo, the next direct is going and has to be something big. Think about it, it's the first direct since Iwata sadly passed away, Nintendo has undergone a lot of changes after this. The new leaders of the company need to show to us, the customers, and the investors how are they going to manage the company from now on. I expect something important before the end of this month, and would made a lot of sense that they announce the Direct with some anticipation.
Yes, we definitely need a Direct this month. Its been a month since Kimishima took over, that should be enough time to get everything in order and plan how to hype up the fans of Nintendo again after the trying time.

I think they need to announce a new big game as well, to show that there is more coming. Retro's project would be the perfect thing to announce, but they could just go with Pikmin 4 and giving Zelda U a title, that I think would be hype enough. Retro's project could always be saved for a big announcement early next year, since E3 will likely largely revolve around announcing the NX for 2017 and the NX launch titles, plus promoting everything Nintendo has to finish off the Wii U with.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
It's possible to be open-minded and mad about something being included...being open-minded means you're willing to listen to arguments and accept other stances if they prove to have valid arguments, not follow blindly and be content with everything. What you're describing sounds more like easy-going or ambivalent than open-minded.

If someone can provide me with a good reason why Inkling or Character X should be in, I am open to hearing it, if it does not convince me, however, I will not support the decision.

Also, open-mindedness being about quantity makes very little sense to me, I don't even understand what you're trying to say with that
How's this for an argument?

The Inklings have pretty much solidified themselves as a mainstay Nintendo franchise in a matter of months. Even with the small install base of the Wii U, Splatoon went above & beyond in terms of popularity (& by extension, sales) with justified support via free DLC over the course of the year. They may be seen as a "flavor of the month" character to some. But in reality, they're an investment. The Inklings are just as inevitable as Olimar was before his Brawl inclusion. In fact, had Melee been able to receive DLC, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Olimar in Melee. Same case for the Inklings, except now DLC is an actual thing.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Personally I don't like to much the idea to see the Inklings because I feel they were to new to be in Smash when the Smash Ballot's chance should be for the older characters that were supported in the past and now have a second/third chance.

But now... I don't really care about this, if the rumor is true and they are Pre-Ballot, I would actually be really happy, because these guys and gals don't really need the Ballot to have a chance to be in Smash (in fact... if Smash 5 happens, they are a shoo-in xD)

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

The Inklings have pretty much solidified themselves as a mainstay Nintendo franchise in a matter of months. Even with the small install base of the Wii U, Splatoon went above & beyond in terms of popularity (& by extension, sales) with justified support via free DLC over the course of the year. They may be seen as a "flavor of the month" character to some. But in reality, they're an investment. The Inklings are just as inevitable as Olimar was before his Brawl inclusion. In fact, had Melee been able to receive DLC, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Olimar in Melee. Same case for the Inklings, except now DLC is an actual thing.
I think it's too soon too call them a 'mainstay' in Nintendo, it's almost inevitable that they will blow up, but 5 months is not enough time to call them as such, and even if you're super optimistic about it, there are other characters that have established themselves as important to Nintendo that have been overlooked (K. Rool, though I'm indifferent to his inclusion, is the first to come to mind), so to me, even if they are/will be mainstays, that argument alone is not enough to justify it if other characters out there already fit that description and have for years

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I heard a rumor no characters until 2016, the one closest to completion was Wolf, but they've decided to hold him back until Star Fox Zero comes out. So now they're working feverishly on characters they can release sooner. This was a decision from the new Nintendo president.

I'm lying, I just made that all up, because i'm bored.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not talking about what Sakurai says about Robin. I was speaking in terms of fan reception. I didn't like the concept of Robin before seeing him, but I liked him once I played as him.

I don't use the clones to argue anything because they aren't the same thing as a fully fledged character. They're a unique circumstance.

As far as it being arbitrary, the problem is that fans like to use "they're deserving" simply to support their character and it's not consistent. What justifies deserving a spot is different to everybody. Some people would argue that K.Rool isn't deserving. To them it makes sense, to others it doesn't. Same thing with Inklings. Somebody will say they aren't deserving because they don't fit their own criteria, but it's just that...one persons criteria.
I thought the fan reception of Robin was pretty positive; that is, Smash bros fans. Fire Emblem fans were the only ones seemingly peeved by Robin; Robin finally brought a new element to Fire Emblem in smash.
Even the fans upset by Robin seem, to me, out of line, considering he is finally a magic-wielding character in a magic-trinsic game. ((On a separate note, it always baffles me when fans of a series seem to be hell bent on damning choices differing from their own... but I'm getting way off point.))

Anyway, arbitrary... mostly so. This reminds me of a quotation from the Big Bang Theory;
"[Of course 'wrong' has gradation]. It's a little wrong to say a tomato is a vegetable. It's a lot wrong to say it is a suspension bridge."

Deservingness may not be immediately quantifiable, but I think, overall, there are certain things that make characters more or less deserving. Mario, for example. Of course, he is already in, but we can all agree (well, most of us would agree), that he is the most deserving character to be in this game. Sometimes we must look at the extremes to see the value in the minute...and deserving is absolutely a fair point, it just is not easily calculated, and is almost never backed up.

JaidynReiman JaidynReiman Rare untreatable cancer deaths, even if in remission, are not 'sudden.' It may have been sooner than anticipated, but no company the scale of Nintendo can claim to be both 'responsible with business,' and, 'completely thrown off by the happening.' They are a major corporation, and to think Iwata would be immortal under such extreme conditions is not only negligent, but delusional.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
How many hours left before the "Direct's Endline"?

You mean like the Melee poll and Brawl poll before this?

THOSE DASTARDS! (Fire Emblem gets to use it, totally E-10!)
Oh hahaha xD I remember that phrase.... But don't exactly who use it xD

Some days I think about the Fire Emblem characters chances in the ballot and future Smash outside the new relevant character... Maybe I'm dreaming too much, because I don't have concrete ideas about anything.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So.... democratic debate today.
Cannot help but relate this to Smash ballot.

I know K Rool was equated to Trump before; but I wonder, to whom do you think other candidates relate?

We certainly have enough independents in both the presidential election, and the Smash poll :pimp:

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
In times like these it's always good to listen to something soft and reflect on eveything that has happened

Yes this is an excuse to hopefully get people to listen to undertale music

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I will still maintain that a character being fun to play as is the most important facet of them getting into Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
With regard to spammers, there are ways to easily weed out spammers on basic user-friendly Internet polls. There's no reason Nintendo can't have a similar algorithm in place to prevent that for their own massive worldwide one.

Nintendo's own poor instruction on how to handle multiple votes per device shouldn't excuse them from actually listening to results at all. It's certainly no good excuse for them to plug their ears where feasible frontrunners are concerned, barring potential obvious cases of trolling (Lanky Kong at the #1 spot, for example). Say Character A gets 20,000 votes and Character B gets 5,000...Nintendo has no rational reason to think that Character A is "overrated by vocal fans" and Character B is "actually more popular among a silent majority." Fans know better, whether or not they care.

The Internet always exists if they need to corroborate character support, in case they wonder whether it's reasonable that Daisy won the poll by a 100k vote margin.
You are still operating under an unstated law that this was, indeed, a vote. They are not 'excused' from anything they never promised, they are held under no obligation.

Voting in general is really strange; take popular versus electoral vote. For all we know, this is in fact how the vote was monitored, and everyone in the states counts as 1 vote, australia 1 vote, europe 1 vote..
that would be ludicrous, but you hold steadfast to an idea of a popularity contest, when that is not what we were promised.
I want it to be one, because I cannot believe K Rool came after 1st. For all we know Nintendo added the K Rool Costume to see if his fans would be satisfied, or instead, still vote as steadily.
My point is, we don't know what matters in this poll, and we were never given any promises as to how it would be handled.
Missed the point by several light years. I'm open to anyone joining in including the characters everyone seems to hate.
If this was the point, this is not what you said; point blank.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I say, if you put in a character that's popular and everyone wants, no one will care how they play. If you put in a character that's unpopular and very few wanted, you better make sure they are fun to play as.

Once we discover they are fun and unique we learn to accept them, even though they weren't what we wanted.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I say, if you put in a character that's popular and everyone wants, no one will care how they play. If you put in a character that's unpopular and very few wanted, you better make sure they are fun to play as.

Once we discover they are fun and unique we learn to accept them, even though they weren't what we wanted.
That's the thing though. There isn't a single character every single fan wants.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I will still maintain that a character being fun to play as is the most important facet of them getting into Smash.
That's what it really boils down to. I've never played Street Fighter and I find Ryu to be one of the most fun characters to play with (over all of the other vets). In an ideal world the ballot wouldn't produce all of the salt we know it's going to produce.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Likely so, but 'fun to play' is as subjective as deserving.

On a personal level, this is also something that is an issue with Smash. I want all Nintendo characters who have been important to the company to be in this game. If Nintendo would finally utilize an amalgamated universe game elsewhere, it would alleviate this pressure from Smash Bros. However, it being the only true 'Nintendoverse game' where characters interact, it must act both in its own favor, as well as for the actual gameplay.

I have no idea what tangent you are going off on (as well another or two above you). I don't care who supports whom (except for Sakurai... I want him to want who I want :demon:), I was merely clarifying that his use of open minded was incorrect, and also ironic (albeit playfully). It has nothing to do with 'accepting everything,' rather than hearing possibilities. Regardless, PM me if you have an issue with it, as I said prior (as it is off topic by this point), not for eight other people to bring up in an unrelated manner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom