• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
You are correct we haven't had a character in months. If it IS inkling, which I don't think it will be. I will be say in January "It's been months since we actually got a character I wanted."

Sure Inklings and Splatoon are selling well. But I'd rather us not have the new kids jump in line before some of the more retro (N64 and older) characters get added in.

So don't tell people to stop being mad. They have every right to be upset if they find the next character to be a lousy addition. An Inkling addition to me and a majority of my friends would not be considered "fan-service."
We have gotten to a point in speculation where the Inklings are a "lousy choice" anything that isn't iconic is no longer "fan-service".

I don't really want them in but come on...There are a LOT of people that would be hype for them.

(Also what is this generalization that whoever likes the game is part of "the new kids"? Kinda seems like belittlement to me. I assure you the Inkling thread would not appreciate this.)

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Like I said, content found in Splatoon points to more evidence supporting a Splatoon direct soon. And I mean content we can actually see with our own eyes. Not just implied stuff like Roger is doing. It isn't just the current Rogerbase leak stuff.

Also, makes no different if it is a Splatoon direct or a general direct, as long as they talk about Splatoon it can easily have the perfect transition for an Inkling reveal.
Possibly, but I don't think Splatoon being incorporated in a direct gives more credibility or increases the possibility.

So many games have been in directs, and it didn't mean something related to Smash.

Seems straw graspish to me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What's up with the Inklings hate?
Pretty much, "Inklings aren't the character I wanted, so **** that".

Inklings would be a great Smash character. Covering the ground with Ink and using tons of things from Splatoon would make for a great moveset. From what I've read, people hating on Inklings are either hating because

A) "They don't deserve it! My favored character deserves it more so add him/her!" (it's not about who deserves it. It's about who appeals to consumers and who can sell)

B) They haven't played Splatoon and are complaining to complain. (hipsters)

Inklings are a top choice in the Ballot. They're a popular choice. Now all of a sudden, people are coming out of the woodwork, "THEY DON'T DESERVE IT! THIS SUCKS! WAY TO SUCK SAKURAI!"

I swear this fanbase gets funny. One day they argue one thing, the next they argue something else and express hatred towards a character. There's hardly any critical thinking involved. It's, "Not my character? SUCKS" or "Your character has NOTHING ON MINE!!111!"

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
We have gotten to a point in speculation where the Inklings are a "lousy choice" anything that isn't iconic no longer "fan-service".

I don't really want them in but come on...There are a LOT of people that would be hype for them.

(Also what is this generalization that whoever likes the newer is part of "the new kids"? Kinda seems like belittlement to me. I assure you the Inkling thread would not appreciate this.)
I'm not saying that people wouldn't be hyped for them. I'm saying that I personally feel that they would be a lousy choice. I wouldn't call them fan-service because I'm not a fan.

And I'm not calling their fans "new kids" I'm calling the characters "new kids" inklings are such a new series.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
He could be Sakurai's senpai.
And this could be Sakurai's attempt at getting noticed by him.

But he's not, because he's not from Kid Icarus.
Oh, he noticed Zael alright. If Sakurai hadn't noticed Zael, he wouldn't have ever gotten a trophy. I just think Sakurai didn't add him in because he thought Shulk represented the Project Rainfall(s?) trio perfectly. Besides, people were barely asking for Zael, even before Sm4sh came out. Shulk was the center of the attention. I wonder if Zael would have been a more popular choice if he were on the Gematsu leak? I mean, I have a feeling that the majority of Shulk's popularity came from there.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Pretty much, "Inklings aren't the character I wanted, so **** that".

Inklings would be a great Smash character. Covering the ground with Ink and using tons of things from Splatoon would make for a great moveset. From what I've read, people hating on Inklings are either hating because

B) They haven't played Splatoon and are complaining to complain. (hipsters)

I swear this fanbase gets funny. One day they argue one thing, the next they argue something else and express hatred towards a character. There's hardly any critical thinking involved. It's, "Not my character? SUCKS" or "Your character has NOTHING ON MINE!!111!"
Wait a sec. So you are saying we don't have a right to be disappointed if our character isn't in the game? I get it, they deserve to be in the game. I'm not saying that they aren't. I'm also not arguing over the fact that they don't have move set potential, because it's obvious they do.

I've seen plenty of game play of Splatoon, and I've played the demo. It isn't my cup of tea. Some people are perfectly free to not like Splatoon and not purchase it.

What I am saying, is that I would rather have a different character. Am I not a liberty to say that?

You know what screw it. Obviously people who don't like the idea of Inklings and rather have somebody else aren't allowed to speak.

Yet, those who argue that Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario (characters that I love) are stupid choices are perfectly okay saying that.

This place is screwed up.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I'm not saying that people wouldn't be hyped for them. I'm saying that I personally feel that they would be a lousy choice. I wouldn't call them fan-service because I'm not a fan.

And I'm not calling their fans "new kids" I'm calling the characters "new kids" inklings are such a new series.
I mean I respect your opinion but...saying people have the right to be mad?

Disappointment is fine but anger is kinda unwarranted. This DLC discussion is starting to become increasingly and increasingly competitive to the point where character "hate" is becoming unwarranted and inappropriate. We aren't getting Dark Pit as DLC, what's the value in criticizing or berating it? It isn't a bad decision, just something that isn't popular to you.

I guess I'm mistaken for trying to take emotion out of character choices done independently of this forum (Sakurai isn't really considering our specific viewpoints) idk. I just don't believe your point of view.

Apologies for any misinterpretation tho.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wait a sec. So you are saying we don't have a right to be disappointed if our character isn't in the game? I get it, they deserve to be in the game. I'm not saying that they aren't. I'm also not arguing over the fact that they don't have move set potential, because it's obvious they do.

I've seen plenty of game play of Splatoon, and I've played the demo. It isn't my cup of tea. Some people are perfectly free to not like Splatoon and not purchase it.

What I am saying, is that I would rather have a different character. Am I not a liberty to say that?

You know what screw it. Obviously people who don't like the idea of Inklings and rather have somebody else aren't allowed to speak.

Yet, those who argue that Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario (characters that I love) are stupid choices are perfectly okay saying that.

This place is screwed up.
You're free to not be excited about Inklings. I'm not saying you can't like them.

It's the fact that literally ANY TIME a character gets "leaked" there are people who come out and COMPLAIN. Not just disagree. COMPLAIN. EVERY TIME.

Instead of complaining about different things, why don't people try to see a silver lining? Or try something new? It's always negativity. I'm with you on the clones...I'm sick of people complaining about them too.

You are at liberty to say you'd rather see somebody else. Just don't put Inklings down in the process, because that's all people do. "My character is better, so **** yours".

I may not be a moderator anymore, but that attitude is something I'm certainly not a fan of and will vehemently struggle against.

I've taken opportunities to learn more about other characters. Characters I wasn't previously familiar with. Other users should do the same instead of pooping on other characters simply to make themselves feel better.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I mean I respect your opinion but...saying people have the right to be mad?

Disappointment is fine but anger is kinda unwarranted. This DLC discussion is starting to become increasingly and increasingly competitive to the point where character "hate" is becoming unwarranted and inappropriate. We aren't getting Dark Pit as DLC, what's the value in criticizing or berating it? It isn't a bad decision, just something that isn't popular to you.

I guess I'm mistaken for trying to take emotion out of character choices done independently of this forum (Sakurai isn't really considering our specific viewpoints) idk. I just don't believe your point of view.

Apologies for any misinterpretation tho.
I kinda think anger and disappointment go kind together. I mean it's like the "stages of loss" or whatever, first its disappointment and then it's anger.

Now my question is for the bolded portion, are you saying Dark Pit was a lame stupid choice? Because he's one of my favorite characters in this game. At that point you are doing exact same thing I am doing. Being irritated with a choice.

You're free to not be excited about Inklings. I'm not saying you can't like them.

It's the fact that literally ANY TIME a character gets "leaked" there are people who come out and COMPLAIN. Not just disagree. COMPLAIN. EVERY TIME.

Instead of complaining about different things, why don't people try to see a silver lining? Or try something new? It's always negativity. I'm with you on the clones...I'm sick of people complaining about them too.

You are at liberty to say you'd rather see somebody else. Just don't put Inklings down in the process, because that's all people do. "My character is better, so **** yours".

I may not be a moderator anymore, but that attitude is something I'm certainly not a fan of and will vehemently struggle with.
Ah, okay I understand what you mean. If that's the way I looked then I apologize. I strongly disagree with the choice of inklings if they are added. I think if it sounded like I was complaining, it was more from my irritation that people think this leak is 100% now, which we know, can't be until we see whats behind the fire and the logo come next direct.

And yeah, I think Inklings will be in the series some day. I would just prefer characters over them. Nothing wrong with people that like them, I just can't agree with them being added over some other characters.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

I may not be a moderator anymore, but that attitude is something I'm certainly not a fan of and will vehemently struggle against.

I've taken opportunities to learn more about other characters. Characters I wasn't previously familiar with. Other users should do the same instead of pooping on other characters simply to make themselves feel better.
You're complaining about people that complain.:joyful:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Now my question is for the bolded portion, are you saying Dark Pit was a lame stupid choice? Because he's one of my favorite characters in this game. At that point you are doing exact same thing I am doing. Being irritated with a choice.
In the respect of DLC, Dark Pit would be a pretty poor choice. It would be reskinning Pit and expecting people to buy him at the price of a character. Not only an awful business decision but kind of an insult to fans, as little effort was invested on it. However, I wouldn't go as far as insults such as "lazy" of "stupid"

It's not the worst choice and I would 100% OK with it (if he came with Lucina and Doc) but it would be fair to criticize it. (Berating would be too harsh for most conceivable characters though)

I like/main Dark Pit too lol. He's my favorite Uprising char next to Phosphora.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
In the respect of DLC, Dark Pit would be a pretty poor choice. It would be reskinning Pit and expecting people to buy him at the price of a character. Not only an awful business decision but kind of an insult to fans, as little effort was invested on it. However, I wouldn't go as far as insults such as "lazy" of "stupid"

It's not the worst choice and I would 100% OK with it (if he came with Lucina and Doc) but it would be fair to criticize it. (Berating would be too harsh for most conceivable characters though)

I like/main Dark Pit too lol. He's my favorite Uprising char next to Phosphora.
The good thing is, is that if Dark Pit actually was made as DLC, they'd likely have given him enough differences from Pit for him to be classified as a semi- or quasi-clone. Just like :4lucas::4feroy:. Maybe he'd even get a unique moveset.

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
I can't tell if you are joking because of the part about samus but f you really believe this you have either never played Splatoon or have 0 creativity with all of the weapons in the game. :p
I haven't played splatoon in a while because i lost interest. From what i remember, they're almost all projectile based weapons. Very few are melee weapons. I also feel that the internet would get in an uproar if inklings were added because, according to polls floating around the internet, there are a lot more characters deserving of the slot. Back yo the moveset, maybe you're right actually, because clones.

I haven't played splatoon in a while because i lost interest. From what i remember, they're almost all projectile based weapons. Very few are melee weapons.
Rollers and paintbrushes exist. Plus just plain smacking people with the gun. Not to mention there is still plenty of moveset potential in those projectiles.

I also feel that the internet would get in an uproar if inklings were added because, according to polls floating around the internet, there are a lot more characters deserving of the slot.
I have no idea what you are talking about Inklings are pretty much always top 5 newcomers on polls.

Last edited:

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
I don't even know why I bother arguing here. It's over analysis and people trying to shred others apart to look tuff.

On topic, A Distant Demon A Distant Demon sure they can hit people with their guns, and while they're at it hit people with bigger guns to do more damage. Also I googled Smash ballot polls and they're consistently top 15. Not top 5. You're wrong. #salt

IndigoSSB IndigoSSB Yes, you're right...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Rollers and paintbrushes exist. Plus just plain smacking people with the gun. Not to mention there is still plenty of moveset potential in those projectiles.

I have no idea what you are talking about Inklings are pretty much always top 5 newcomers on polls.
1) Not to mention the ability of having tentacles for hair that have some proven level of "transformability"

2) To say there isn't a moveset potential in Inklings is like saying there wasn't any for :4samus:. The raw number of weaponry makes it moot.

I don't see it being K Rool because of the whole "makes sense" thing, K Rool doesn't if it's not ballot based, Isaac is possible though but I'm still betting on Dixie, she fits all the criteria mentioned so far
Except for K. Rool being massively popular since before Brawl and to a lesser extent Melee and lasted as one of the most requested newcomers alongside Ridley across the entirety of Smash 4, you mean, right? He would've made sense getting in the main disc. The fact that he's popular enough (with credentials that out shine most suggestions) to consistently be a top 5 if not top 3 for pretty much any poll with him on it should state that it's significant enough to have been noticed without the ballot.

Sakurai's stance on the huge popularity behind :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy: being aware before the ballot is no stretch of reasoning for :wolf:'s return or the likes of K. Rool or Inklings to be chosen.

Edit:
I don't even know why I bother arguing here. It's over analysis and people trying to shred others apart to look tuff.

On topic, A Distant Demon A Distant Demon sure they can hit people with their guns, and while they're at it hit people with bigger guns to do more damage. Also I googled Smash ballot polls and they're consistently top 15. Not top 5. You're wrong. #salt

IndigoSSB IndigoSSB Yes, you're right...
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/ #2
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/ #5

These are the two held as standard for the community, for western and eastern appeal respectively.

Last edited:

>claims people are trying to act tough
>posts #salt

you see i'm normally down with a fun little rhetorical argument but you know what? i''m good.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
My uncle told me the next character will be from either Fatal Frame, Pandora's Tower, Zangeki no Reginleiv, or the last story.
He used to work for NoA as a maintenance guy.
Is it crazy that I'd legit want to see a playable character from ANY of these games in Smash, or appear as characters in Project X Zone 2, alongside Chrom, Lucina, and Fiora?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Personally, I don't mind the Inklings, but like you, I'd much rather see someone else come first. I'm still waiting on Wolf, and not giving up hope anytime soon. If they're calling you out for preferring someone else, just ignore them.

Exactly. As long as you're not mindlessly bashing on the game and those who play it, then you're fine with me.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Is it crazy that I'd legit want to see a playable character from ANY of these games in Smash, or appear as characters in Project X Zone 2, alongside Chrom, Lucina, and Fiora?
Nope. No you're not. It's just that no one is asking for them, so it's highly unlikely that they would show up. This is why I wish curveball characters had a chance for DLC. None of my characters are popular enough to be picked from the suggestion box. XD

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If Splatoon doesn't have a Cthulhu themed/ inspired boss, they need one.

Also poke-hats should've happened by now.

COULD YOU IMAGINE AN OCTILLERY THEMED GUN CALLED OCTAZOOKA!!!!??!?!?!?
(Like after it's move)

If the Inklings were playable maybe they'd get to wear Mii hats, since thats like a thing in splatoon.

That'd be sweet for Project X Zone 2.
It's in the realm of possibility.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I don't know why everyone is believing some leaks posted on the Internet with no valid confirmation, just guesses here and there claiming to be the 'realest thing, bruh!'

I mean, why to actually BELIEVE it? Why? To protect the truthness of the leakers or something...? :facepalm:

:bowser:

Last edited:
I don't know why everyone is believing some leaks posted on the Internet with no valid confirmation, just guesses here and there claiming to be the 'realest thing, bruh!'

I mean, why to actually BELIEVE it? Why? To protect the truthness of the leakers or something...? :facepalm:

:bowser:
This is what speculation is about. Wild guesses and hope with a dash of unfounded trust. We have no idea if it's wrong and it very well could be. However there is some credit to them. And that is why they are being given the chance to at least be speculated upon. If these were random nobodies with no followers they would be ignored like the foolish fools they are.

But these happen to be many people with various ties to each other and some things conveniently lining up. Hence why we speculate on the chance they are telling the truth. Better to bring every fake leak to light then let a real one slip through the cracks. Realism and pessimism are key, but the ability to at least see from the opposing side is necessary as well. Some have too much of one or the other (never believing any leak or believing everything is a hint) but having neither just makes speculation dull.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Nope. No you're not. It's just that no one is asking for them, so it's highly unlikely that they would show up. This is why I wish curveball characters had a chance for DLC. None of my characters are popular enough to be picked from the suggestion box. XD
Well, luckily, the ballot wasn't a popularity contest so any character has a chance. If this was just by popularity alone, Sakurai/Nintendo would've made an announcement already. I prefer curveball characters as well; they bring big surprise factor with them.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
You know, I understand that there will be a fair amount of salt if Inklings get announced, but isn't that the case with every other possible character? The second the Ballot was announced we all knew no matter who got picked there would be at least some salt, if not a lot. "Why should I be satisfied with this character when mine didn't get picked", for a lot of people that's enough to hate on a character.

Not that I'm upset, the only reason we're focusing on the Inklings is because of these sketchy twitter leaks.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
I really had no opinion on the Inklings making it into Smash but now I'm really happy that (if the rumor is true) they made it in. Nintendo has all the right of putting in their most recent and successful ips in Smash

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Well, luckily, the ballot wasn't a popularity contest so any character has a chance. If this was just by popularity alone, Sakurai/Nintendo would've made an announcement already. I prefer curveball characters as well; they bring big surprise factor with them.
Yeah, but here's the thing: How would curveball characters sell? King K. Rool or Wolf would sell, no doubt but what about unpopular characters like Lip or another FE/KI character?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah, but here's the thing: How would curveball characters sell? King K. Rool or Wolf would sell, no doubt but what about unpopular characters like Lip or another FE/KI character?
Not as well because you, far moreso, would have people either disinterested in a character they've never heard of (K. Rool and Wolf at least stand to have trophies in the game) or specifically boycotted by more noticable spans of the community.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Simple: Make a good character reveal trailer and make that character look good/badass and give it an original moveset. That will surely turn a few heads. For Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus, that's easy - Stay away from the Marth/Pit templates and they'll do fine.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Not as well because you, far moreso, would have people either disinterested in a character they've never heard of (K. Rool and Wolf at least stand to have trophies in the game) or specifically boycotted by more noticable spans of the community.
Pretty much why I'm not expecting a curveball character.

Simple: Make a good character reveal trailer and make that character look good/badass and give it an original moveset. That will surely turn a few heads. For Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus, that's easy - Stay away from the Marth/Pit templates and they'll do fine.
Sounds fair enough. Hopefully that would be good enough for a lot of people. Still though, a lot of fans are taking this suggestion box really seriously. The fanbase is going to be ticked off if a non popular candidate gets in over KKR or Wolf. Maybe if Sakurai gives an explanation as to why he chose X character over Y, the fanbase would calm down. I mean, I remember when Sakurai de confirmed chararacters like Chrom and Ridley; the fanbase was pretty upset, but they got over it. I can imagine the same thing happening to any big, popular character who might get deconfirmed in the future. :T

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Pretty much why I'm not expecting a curveball character.

Sounds fair enough. Hopefully that would be good enough for a lot of people. Still though, a lot of fans are taking this suggestion box really seriously. The fanbase is going to be ticked off if a non popular candidate gets in over KKR or Wolf. :T Maybe if Sakurai gives an explanation as to why he chose X character over Y, the fanbase would calm down. I mean, I remember when Sakurai de confirmed chararacters like Chrom and Ridley; the fanbase was pretty upset, but they got over it. I can imagine the same thing happening to any big, popular character who gets deconfirmed in the future.
People are STILL salty about Ridley's explanation.

But yes, curveballs are very unlikely at this point because the time that worked best for them was before the ballot came to a close, to say that, akin to Ryu, the character was chosen as "someone you didn't even know you wanted." This condition being one of the cruxes for the cases for someone like Chorus Men or Chibi-Robo.

At this point, everyone's said what they want and, with varying reason, are damn well expecting it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom