• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So your faith in one guy (with no given source), is enough to convince you a leak is genuine? He was convinced. Ok, that's great. If he gave his source, maybe I'd be convinced too. But he hasn't. All the fact that he's convinced means to me is that he's almost as gullible as the fan base. How was he convinced? Was it one guy HE trusted telling him"yeah, this is coming soon"? Because if not, then it took more to convince him than it did you. His leak is banking on you being more gullible than he is. And he's right.

Also, isn't SeanHicksART associated with Smashified? As in, the guys who have been blatantly trolling everyone every time they have a new character, just for the heck of it? But, yeah, they're totally trustworthy.
I had a chat with Sean and a cup of digital coffee, so I think it's probbably true , as in, 99% convinced. If it's all wrong then i'll be mad for a few moments and just think how foolish I was to believe his acting lol.

I don't think smashified troll people when they release a character video. They only trolled with Rayman and some of the character hints.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The problem is too many people doing it at the same time.

If the source of a rumour/leak is singular, it's easier to scrutinise, but with so many (credible, semi-credible and non-credible) people saying that they know something, it's hard to cross-check. It's like that effect where if everyone believes/says something, it becomes the truth.

:231:
And everyone said Shulk was coming on that glorious day when we got Robin and Lucina instead. A lot of people agreeing is called a "bandwagon", not a leak. Lots of people saying something does not make it truth.

All of these leakers could have been convinced by the same piece of Intel, given to them by a single troll who built a fake (like the Rayman leak). They could all just be bandwagoning. They could be trolling together just for the heck of it. None of these possibilities require genuine info.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
You know, as much as I love Splatoon, I wouldn't be too hyped for the inclusion of the Inklings because quite frankly, it feels more like an advertisement than anything.
In fact, I think you could even go as far as saying that the majority of Smash 4's newcomers are just mere advertisements. It's the reason why I don't want characters such as Shovel Knight or Bayonetta.
It's just unfortunate that the likes of K. Rool or Issac haven't gotten in yet because they don't advertise anything.

Burruni

Smash Hero
You know, as much as I love Splatoon, I wouldn't be too hyped for the inclusion of the Inklings because quite frankly, it feels more like an advertisement than anything.
In fact, I think you could even go as far as saying that the majority of Smash 4's newcomers are just mere advertisements. It's the reason why I don't want characters such as Shovel Knight or Bayonetta.
It's just unfortunate that the likes of K. Rool or Issac haven't gotten in yet because they don't advertise anything.
That isn't why they aren't in.
Recency has the ability to highlight a character on the radar but what do the likes of :4megaman::4wiifit::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4miisword::4miigun::4miibrawl: or :4bowserjr: truly "advertise?"

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
My level of hype will be based on how well Sakurai implements the uniqueness of Splatoon into the character. Agreed with Shovel Knight.

As for Bayonetta.... I see your point but I want her in because she arguably has the potential to be incredibly unique, more so than many DLC candidates.

I hope the character comes out of left field, totally unexpected, and is totally awesome.
*cough* anyone from kid icarus/ bayonetta / magolor *cough*

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Can't say I think you are being fair when you are essentially saying you are going to judge a game which the developers had said was "10%" complete at the time. Of course they were also going to advertise the heck out of it. After the disasters in sales that were previous IPs like Wonderful 101 and Codename Steam, why wouldn't they? Especially when they wanted it to be the Mario kart of shooters.

Also, for those bringing up the fact that leaks has been wrong before. We are dealing with somebodies on the internet. Not some random anonymous person. Their reputation is on the line. They could go through heavy punishment if they are seen as lying. Death threats and all. And because they are not anonymous, those kind of things won't stop as easily. The internet is not forgiving.
It's not just that though, I've seen more of it, and I he did some dabbling inside the demo. The game is clearly not for me at all. I get extremely irritated when things are advertised to death. Or when things get repetitive, like a song on the radio. The game's story mode can be beaten easily within a few days, and it doesn't seem interesting. And for multiplayer you are pretty much forced to play online only. It has nothing I actually would want in a video game.

I really wish Nintendo would start reviving the likes of Panel de Pon, Tantei Detective Club, or Ice Climber, because besides Smash 4 Nintendo has left a bad taste in my mouth (Pokemon X, and Awakening really irritated the heck out of me). Kid Icarus Uprising and Tomadachi Life were the last Nintendo First Party games I enjoyed as of late. Sure Pokken, #FE, Fates, and a Starfox revival are keeping me around. But if all Nintendo wants to do is poop out Mario games, I see no point in supporting Nintendo.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
That isn't why they aren't in.
Recency has the ability to highlight a character on the radar but what do the likes of :4megaman::4wiifit::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4miisword::4miigun::4miibrawl: or :4bowserjr: truly "advertise?"
:4littlemac:- Punch Out for the Wii
:4wiifit:- The Wii Fit games
:4bowserjr:- The New Super Mario Bros games
That's why I said the "majority" of characters, not all, due to Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and the Mii Fighters.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
King K. Rool needs to make it because DKC for snes was apart of my childhood, and that stupid cartoon was awesome.
How could such a developed/ used villain all of a sudden fall to obscurity.

He needs to be in because it's probably the greatest Rare character we'll ever get.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I can see why the amount of hype for Inklings will vary, if you hate Splatoon as a game then Inklings will pretty much equate to a wasted slot. We shouldn't hold the advertisement factor against them though, don't forget that there was a similar reason behind including the Fire Emblem cast in this game.

Burruni

Smash Hero
:4littlemac:- Punch Out for the Wii
:4wiifit:- The Wii Fit games
:4bowserjr:- The New Super Mario Bros games
That's why I said the "majority" of characters, not all, due to Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and the Mii Fighters.
Yes. Because Little Mac as a fighter is going to sell a game that came out 5 years before Smash 4 better than the assist trophy that came out a year before Punch-Out Wii, are going to buy the Wii Fit games because they enjoyed playing WFT in Smash, and people are going to buy a Mario game because you fight Bowser Jr.

:ness64: was in Smash 64 to sell Earthbound copies, :samus64: to sell Super Metroid, :marthmelee:/:icsmelee: to sell their NES games, :gawmelee: to sell the Game & Watch gallery series, :younglinkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee: to sell Ocarina more, :toonlink: to sell Wind Waker... so on and so forth.

For the large part (the ONLY real case being either :pit: for Uprising or Fire Emblem getting sent worldwide), characters from big, well selling games get into Smash.
Not the other way around.

K. Rool not being seen since 2008, Krystal since 2006, and Isaac since 2010 are things that may have made them come off the radar. Even if they were in BAD games, would you say that they're in to sell those games and not the merits of the games before them?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
And everyone said Shulk was coming on that glorious day when we got Robin and Lucina instead. A lot of people agreeing is called a "bandwagon", not a leak. Lots of people saying something does not make it truth.

All of these leakers could have been convinced by the same piece of Intel, given to them by a single troll who built a fake (like the Rayman leak). They could all just be bandwagoning. They could be trolling together just for the heck of it. None of these possibilities require genuine info.
Everyone? It was only Gematsu who said Shulk would appearon that day. Gematsu's track record was so strong at that point that everyone took the word for truth.

I know that a lot of people saying doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but these people actually do have some credibility that's why no one is outright dismissing them as they normally do. The Rayman leak is a bad comparison though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So your faith in one guy (with no given source), is enough to convince you a leak is genuine? He was convinced. Ok, that's great. If he gave his source, maybe I'd be convinced too. But he hasn't. All the fact that he's convinced means to me is that he's almost as gullible as the fan base. How was he convinced? Was it one guy HE trusted telling him"yeah, this is coming soon"? Because if not, then it took more to convince him than it did you. His leak is banking on you being more gullible than he is. And he's right.

Also, isn't SeanHicksART associated with Smashified? As in, the guys who have been blatantly trolling everyone every time they have a new character, just for the heck of it? But, yeah, they're totally trustworthy.
No, I don't think its 100% true, and I don't necessarily fully believe its genuine, but we can't dismiss it. At the very least they seem pretty damn convinced its legit.

Shulk is an awful comparison. That was entirely on Gematsu. The only "leaker" in that was the Gematsu leaker, as others have stated. Everyone believed the Shulk rumor to be true even before that due to the previous Gematsu rumors, and due to the retweet made by someone tied to Xenoblade Chronicles and Monolith (the head's wife?).

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Everyone? It was only Gematsu who said Shulk would appearon that day. Gematsu's track record was so strong at that point that everyone took the word for truth.

I know that a lot of people saying doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but these people actually do have some credibility that's why no one is outright dismissing them as they normally do. The Rayman leak is a bad comparison though.

Why? It was a leak which actually had verifiable evidence to back it up! And it was still wrong.

Here, we just have the word of a couple guys. A couple of guys who are supposedly credible. That's great.

Let's say that Omni had developed the Rayman leak now. Only, instead of putting it online freely, he shows it to Roger. Roger has his credible source. Then Omni shows it to someone else. And someone else. And suddenly, they're popping up on Twitter with their "solid source that we should just totally trust". And then it turns out to all be a fraud, set up and "leaked" by a single individual. In other words, exactly like the predicted Shulk reveal.

What's more, this information is [i}STILL[/i] so pathetically vague as to be nothing more than a prediction. As soon as we didn't get any ballot winners announced within the first day, I predicted another announcement coming soon that would be non-ballot related. It only makes sense. The longer Nintendo delays in giving us info, the more sales they lose from DLC. Every day they wait, a casual member of the fanbase gives up on looking for more info, and is less likely to notice the DLC when it releases. Nintendo needs to keep info coming to maintain interest. It only makes sense to get an announcement now. If they had been looking at ballot winners early-on, we'd have gotten them announced as soon as the ballot was closed (or would be told that they'd be announced shortly). Again, maintain interest, keep the ballot intrigue high. Since they didn't do that, it makes since that they'd have other content ready to keep people looking towards Nintendo.

None of this is a "leak". It's all just deduction based on sound business practice and past behavior. And the past behavior part may be slipping this up. If Nintendo's silence since Iwata's passing continues, I will be proven wrong. And the leak will be proven to be just a gamble that a few people thought was sound enough to risk their credibility on.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I honestly don't know what I want from this, I don't want inklings, I don't want K Rool, I want Dixie but I'm doubting it (Although Roger is apparently a Dixie fan so who knows), I kinda want something out of left field, but not too left field. I'm just not sure, all the characters I really want aren't happening anytime soon

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why? It was a leak which actually had verifiable evidence to back it up! And it was still wrong.

Here, we just have the word of a couple guys. A couple of guys who are supposedly credible. That's great.

Let's say that Omni had developed the Rayman leak now. Only, instead of putting it online freely, he shows it to Roger. Roger has his credible source. Then Omni shows it to someone else. And someone else. And suddenly, they're popping up on Twitter with their "solid source that we should just totally trust". And then it turns out to all be a fraud, set up and "leaked" by a single individual. In other words, exactly like the predicted Shulk reveal.

What's more, this information is [i}STILL[/i] so pathetically vague as to be nothing more than a prediction. As soon as we didn't get any ballot winners announced within the first day, I predicted another announcement coming soon that would be non-ballot related. It only makes sense. The longer Nintendo delays in giving us info, the more sales they lose from DLC. Every day they wait, a casual member of the fanbase gives up on looking for more info, and is less likely to notice the DLC when it releases. Nintendo needs to keep info coming to maintain interest. It only makes sense to get an announcement now. If they had been looking at ballot winners early-on, we'd have gotten them announced as soon as the ballot was closed (or would be told that they'd be announced shortly). Again, maintain interest, keep the ballot intrigue high. Since they didn't do that, it makes since that they'd have other content ready to keep people looking towards Nintendo.

None of this is a "leak". It's all just deduction based on sound business practice and past behavior. And the past behavior part may be slipping this up. If Nintendo's silence since Iwata's passing continues, I will be proven wrong. And the leak will be proven to be just a gamble that a few people thought was sound enough to risk their credibility on.
Whatever the case may be, we need a Nintendo Direct announcement tomorrow. The Splatoon update has to drop, at the latest, by Friday. The Direct could potentially be later than Wednesday but its really iffy that it would be.

I don't particularly care. I just want a Nintendo Direct, regardless of what happens.

*glares at signature*
ummmm. care explaining?
I honestly don't know what I want from this, I don't want inklings, I don't want K Rool, I want Dixie but I'm doubting it (Although Roger is apparently a Dixie fan so who knows), I kinda want something out of left field, but not too left field. I'm just not sure, all the characters I really want aren't happening anytime soon
The signature is probably just a list of characters TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern wouldn't mind seeing, but not high on the list.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
*glares at signature*
ummmm. care explaining?
K Rool is a weird case where I'd only want him after Dixie and Inklings are moreso for Smash 5. I want them both but not as much as other characters and I don't want them right now.

Like, I wouldn't mind them and if they did get in I'd be happy but y'know, hence why they're both so far down on my list of characters (Dixie, Wolf, Impa and Krystal being most wanted while Knuckles, Elma, Chibi-Robo and Corrin are the lowest)

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Whatever the case may be, we need a Nintendo Direct announcement tomorrow. The Splatoon update has to drop, at the latest, by Friday. The Direct could potentially be later than Wednesday but its really iffy that it would be.

I don't particularly care. I just want a Nintendo Direct, regardless of what happens.
We still haven't had one since Iwata's passing. Maybe the "leakers" just figured that one is overdue and are gambling their credibility on the thought that we won't just get another big update tossed out the door with no fanfare.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Let's see. The Rayman leak was a video uploaded on YouTube, made by Omni who was largely unknown.

This rumour has multiple credible and semi-credible people saying that they know bit and pieces of info while refusing to tell us what it is. Given than some like Roger actually have connections in the gaming industry, it would take more than a well-made Rayman video to fool him, when he can just confirm with his acquaintances. The information is vague because they can't blurt it out without getting into trouble with Nintendo and the fans.

While it's impossible to discount the possibility that it's an elaborate ruse, it is unlikely as there is too much as stake here if they turn out to be wrong on anything. And if it was a gamble, I don't believe this many people would have jumped in.

...why am I defending something I don't care about?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Let's see. The Rayman leak was a video uploaded on YouTube, made by Omni who was largely unknown.

This rumour has multiple credible and semi-credible people saying that they know bit and pieces of info while refusing to tell us what it is. Given than some like Roger actually have connections in the gaming industry, it would take more than a well-made Rayman video to fool him, when he can just confirm with his acquaintances. The information is vague because they can't blurt it out without getting into trouble with Nintendo and the fans.

While it's impossible to discount the possibility that it's an elaborate ruse, it is unlikely as there is too much as stake here if they turn out to be wrong on anything. And if it was a gamble, I don't believe this many people would have jumped in.

What is at stake? Their credibility as a leaker? Big whoop. It won't hurt any of their actual business connections or anything, and they get a massive laugh at it either way.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Honestly, I definitely think we're getting the Inklings.
I mean, the fact that so many people claim to have knowledge of an upcoming Direct seems to solidify that we ARE getting a Direct.
Now, of course, these leakers could very well be messing with us. But they do they really want to risk destroying their reputations?
Plus, judging by the tweet that Sean Hicks had made, it HAS to be the Inklings. In my opinion, it's not the best character choice, but it does make a lot of sense given the game's success.
Although I would much rather have K. Rool.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
K Rool is a weird case where I'd only want him after Dixie and Inklings are moreso for Smash 5. I want them both but not as much as other characters and I don't want them right now.

Like, I wouldn't mind them and if they did get in I'd be happy but y'know, hence why they're both so far down on my list of characters (Dixie, Wolf, Impa and Krystal being most wanted while Knuckles, Elma, Chibi-Robo and Corrin are the lowest)
I'm honestly starting to agree with the argues against the Inklings > Smash 5 arguments. The thing is, Sakurai has no idea if he'll continue, and we may not even get a Smash 5. If he wants to do them, he'll do them now. IF he wants to them.

We still haven't had one since Iwata's passing. Maybe the "leakers" just figured that one is overdue and are gambling their credibility on the thought that we won't just get another big update tossed out the door with no fanfare.
That's the thing. I don't think some of these guys would actually do that. That's why I'm even giving it the time of day.

They did announce about a month ago Nintendo Directs would continue, and they were hiring for Nintendo Directs. Having one soon is rather likely to happen honestly.

This is why I'm giving it the time of day. And the people in question here are confident its legit and not just a rumor, which is something that's REALLY weird to say. Even Tamaki said his thing was just a rumor.

Anyway, I'm not bothered either way. I just don't think we can outright ignore this.

It's your inner lawyer screaming out It demands you point out every contradiction of logic and find justice.
I know because it happens to me all the time. It's a *****. I've played too much ace attorney recently. not possible

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm honestly starting to agree with the argues against the Inklings > Smash 5 arguments. The thing is, Sakurai has no idea if he'll continue, and we may not even get a Smash 5. If he wants to do them, he'll do them now. IF he wants to them.

That's the thing. I don't think some of these guys would actually do that. That's why I'm even giving it the time of day.

They did announce about a month ago Nintendo Directs would continue, and they were hiring for Nintendo Directs. Having one soon is rather likely to happen honestly.

This is why I'm giving it the time of day. And the people in question here are confident its legit and not just a rumor, which is something that's REALLY weird to say. Even Tamaki said his thing was just a rumor.

Anyway, I'm not bothered either way. I just don't think we can outright ignore this.
He's said that he won't be making anymore sequels twice now, I don't believe that it won't happen again and I don't see how he can't feel the same, he said the same about DLC and look where we are now, an long running fan poll, several characters coming, new stages, costumes and updates coming all the time

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I don't think we can outright ignore anything.

That doesn't mean it should be taken as fact.

It also doesn't change the fact that this info can be acquired via deductive reasoning and common sense, so the entire thing should be irrelevant.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
My uncle told me the next character will be from either Fatal Frame, Pandora's Tower, Zangeki no Reginleiv, or the last story.
He used to work for NoA as a maintenance guy.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
The rumor for shovel knight got me to finally buy and play the game (amazing how even indirect word of mouth can generate sales...)

So glad I did, I'm at the end and it's been such a treat. Hard to say whether it's smash worthy but I love it as a game and wouldn't be mad, even if it is just a generic knight with a shovel and borrows from so much, it's beautiful game design and feels so much like I'm playing a classic. But Smash would be REALLY generous to such a new character with so little on the table compared to others. Can't wait to get home and finish the final stages though ;D

I am going from anti SK for smash to acceptable entry, and highly recommend the game itself to any classic platformer lover who somehow missed it like myself.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What is at stake? Their credibility as a leaker? Big whoop. It won't hurt any of their actual business connections or anything, and they get a massive laugh at it either way.
You don't have much of an idea of what it feels like to be at the receiving end of internet backlash, do you?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You don't have much of an idea of what it feels like to be at the receiving end of internet backlash, do you?

I know that it'll go away and be forgotten as soon as they have some other legitimate piece of info for people.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3ohvb5/firedragonroaar_is_overspeculating_my_tweet_i/

Has anyone read this? It's about the leak. Apparently Hicks deleted the tweets because of overreaction? IDK You guys read it and tell me.
My uncle told me the next character will be from either Fatal Frame, Pandora's Tower, Zangeki no Reginleiv, or the last story.
He used to work for NoA as a maintenance guy.
Oh come on, don't play with me like that. I legitimately want Zael and or Aeron and Smash and I know that's not going to happen any time soon. D:

Burruni

Smash Hero
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3ohvb5/firedragonroaar_is_overspeculating_my_tweet_i/

Has anyone read this? It's about the leak. Apparently Hicks deleted the tweets because of overreaction? IDK You guys read it and tell me.

Oh come on, don't play with me like that. I legitimately want Zael and or Aeron and Smash and I know that's not going to happen any time soon. D:
Hicks made a joke and realised it'd be best to remove it before it blew out of proportion and have everyone say it's inklings.

That silly silly fool.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Aeron is alright but, Ugh, Zael

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
See I really thought that people would take it out of proportions and that's why he deleted it. I said that right after the Reddit thing about the tweets was posted on this topic page.

That being said, I do not think the character is Inkling. I think it is King K Rool or Dixie Kong.

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
IMO best rare character is Banjo & Kazooie, but they aren't likely... K. Rool next to Banjo. Also no to inklings, they have no moveset potential (unless you want to go the mii gunner route... and you could also argue that samus had no moveset potential since she was all projectiles too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom