• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
A better analogy would be a bag od apples with 3 oranges.

Some people don't like that there are oranges when they paid for a bag of apples.

While others prefer to think of the oranges as a bonus.

Other just eat them either way.

And I'll show myself out

:231:
Literally comparing Apples and oranges. well played.

It's more like Ok i'm done now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You know what? I'm ****ing done and I've said what I wanted to say (or rather, I have replayed the same old tape).

Tired of this debate. It's been year and we've had 4 DLC characters that are all more unique than the 3 clones in the game, including highly requested veterans and a guest fighter with unique mechanics.

We've had balance patches and bug fixes, increasing the game's quality a little bit more. We've had a ballot that lasted 6 months so the developers get feedback from the players in regards to new characters. We've had certain kinds of luxuries that we never had before.

Yet people have the nerve to complain about something as insignificant as three clone characters they added towards the end of the development cycle of the base game, back when they still had a bigger team working on the game.

For a ****ing year. One ****ing year.

I'm done with this. I have better things to do than being put up with this sort of whining. It's truly saddening that people can't let things go and can't look at the big picture that is the entire game.

It's a kind of behavior that I will ever fail to understand no matter how hard I try to. Keep on whining and don't mind me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I admit defeat. :laugh:

Why do you admit defeat? Its a pointless comparison.

Half of those are literally the exact same character but they're "generic" characters, so they have variations. In two cases its just a different design of the same character, in the other three, they're avatar characters and have two separate sexes. There's no logical reason for them to be split.

The other 7 were included precisely because it was a great idea to have the Koopalings as alts of Bowser Jr.

Alph is both a totally separate character, does not have the same justification as the Koopalings, and is from a franchise with only one playable character to boot. He's in the same situation as the three last-minute clones that were added, the others are useless comparisons because its not the same thing at all. Not even close.

I agree, I think that a lazy last-minute Alph clone, even regardless of minor balance issues, would make the Dark Pit problem a lot easier to take. Dark Pit is technically a separate character, but is a literal direct clone of Pit.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I really would've liked Dark Pit to be a lot more different, rather having just been an alt. I really enjoyed his character in Uprising, and with the 100+ weapons available in Uprising, it would've been a great opportunity to showcase more of them in Smash. I personally would've liked to see a set of claws, a club, a cannon, and his staff be a more integral part of his moveset. So it is a bit disappointing that he is barely different from Pit. I still prefer him (mostly for his demeanor), though. Frankly, though, I find the complaining really exhausting, as it just goes in circles and circles and ultimately, nothing is going to change. You can't change how people feel about him no more than you can change Pittoo. You're not going to convince people who like him to dislike him, and vice versa.

And I have to say that MorbidAltruism hit the nail on the head- at this point it's just complaining for the sake of complaining. Whether you like or dislike him, that's just how you feel and ultimately there's nothing wrong with that. But when you keep going on and on about it, the vibe I get is unhealthily obsessed. It's such an incredibly minor detail for people to be so worked up over.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You know what? I'm ****ing done and I've said what I wanted to say (or rather, I have replayed the same old tape).

Tired of this debate. It's been year and we've had 4 DLC characters that are all more unique than the 3 clones in the game, including highly requested veterans and a guest fighter with unique mechanics.

We've had balance patches and bug fixes, increasing the game's quality a little bit more. We've had a ballot that lasted 6 months so the developers get feedback from the players in regards to new characters. We've had certain kinds of luxuries that we never had before.

Yet people have the nerve to complain about something as insignificant as three clone characters they added towards the end of the development cycle of the base game, back when they still had a bigger team working on the game.

I'm done with this. I have better things to do than being put up with this sort of whining. It's truly saddening that people can't let things go and can't look at the big picture that is the entire game.

It's a kind of behavior that I will ever fail to understand no matter how hard I try to. Keep on whining and don't mind me.
You're taking this way too personally, imo. Don't let the the debates get you.

You've been on the site for 3 years now... this things shouldn't be bothering you any more.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Half of those are literally the exact same character but they're "generic" characters, so they have variations. In two cases its just a different design of the same character, in the other three, they're avatar characters and have two separate sexes. There's no logical reason for them to be split.

The other 7 were included precisely because it was a great idea to have the Koopalings as alts of Bowser Jr.

Alph is both a totally separate character, does not have the same justification as the Koopalings, and is from a franchise with only one playable character to boot. He's in the same situation as the three last-minute clones that were added, the others are useless comparisons because its not the same thing at all. Not even close.

I agree, I think that a lazy last-minute Alph clone, even regardless of minor balance issues, would make the Dark Pit problem a lot easier to take. Dark Pit is technically a separate character, but is a literal direct clone of Pit.
JR, I was just poking fun at Fal saying that Alph was the ONLY alt costume not made into a seperate fighter.

HOWEVER, we could get a pretty unique Wario out of moves... y'know, taken from Wario Land & World.

Edit: But that's probably me being a little salty going from Brawl to PM to Smash 4, which took away his shoulder ram which as basically the ONE iconic move from his series still in.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I know his point wasn't entirely valid, but it cracked me up and I didn't feel like arguing any further. :p

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We are the consumer and we have a right to critique the product we are buying.

Anyway, talking about Alph reminds me of another reason why characters like Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario sting deep.

All those series (Super Mario, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus) already got newcomers. I wouldnt mind a lazy clone if it came from Pikmin, Donkey Kong, or whatever. They got nothing.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Really though.

>Get to vote for any character you want in the ballot
>Get 4 quality characters as DLC, along with stages
>Get a roster of roughly 50 characters (1 of which is a complete clone)

One year later, people still complaining about ONE clone in the game, despite all the other positives out there about the game.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Holy crap I just found out that when I bought OR/AS last year, I only played through OR.

I have my fresh AS to play...

Sceptile's going to be my starter, now to craft my team around it.

Holy crap I just found out that when I bought OR/AS last year, I only played through OR.

I have my fresh AS to play...

Sceptile's going to be my starter, now to craft my team around it.
use gardevoir/gallade or im unfollowing you :p

Why aren't they playable dammit. My very first caught pokemon and everything

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
>Sees Dark Pit whining
>Wonders why people are upset
>Notes to self that the characters still bear differences, though minor
>Decides to skip to the end hoping that the conversation has changed because it's really flippin' stupid.

Srsly, just pretend he isn't there. There wouldn't be anything else to show if he were absent. You'd never know the difference. Just leave the poor guy alone.

Burruni

Smash Hero
use gardevoir/gallade or im unfollowing you :p

Why aren't they playable dammit. My very first caught pokemon and everything
Oni.

You don't know about how much I enjoy that line if you're asking that.

But I used Garde in X and I don't wanna re-use it within the same technical gen.

MAYBE Gallade if it fits with how the team works.

And honestly they're 3rd in line for my choices of a gen 3 fighter after the Plusle-Minun pair and Sceptile.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Good because your holier than thou attitude is quite frankly annoying.

You imply that the complainers are ungrateful and spoiled. I can turn that around and say you enjoy boot licking Sakurai and defending every boneheaded move he makes. Don't act like you're not equally as foolish and juvenile.

Last edited:
But I used Garde in X and I don't wanna re-use it within the same technical gen.

Morbid why are you following nearly 1000 people. I havent even met 1000 members. why

PS thanks Dusty pumpkin for teaching me how good undertale music is. Sans theme/toriel's themes on repeat

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The problem is, because he's in the game now, people are going to want him in the next game. I mean look, there's people who want freaking Pichu back.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
"We're in a stage where a ballot to vote for characters has ended and the results are tallying in, leaving us in anticipation. Meanwhile, there's a rampant rumor that Shovel Knight is coming to Smash.

So logically, time to rant about Dark Pit."

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

You imply that the complainers are ungrateful and spoiled. I can turn that around and say you enjoy boot licking Sakurai and defending every boneheaded move he makes. Don't act like you're not equally as foolish and juvenile.
Except Frosty has on multiple occasions said that some things could have been more optimal in SSB4.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I was expecting the thread to derail if a indie got revealed after the ballot.

Derailed anyway.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I was expecting the thread to derail if a indie got revealed after the ballot.

Derailed anyway.
You're implying we have a track to stay on.

I got us talking about Jo-Jo's Bizzare Adventure and Touhou a few weeks back.

Edit:
"We're in a stage where a ballot to vote for characters has ended and the results are tallying in, leaving us in anticipation. Meanwhile, there's a rampant rumor that Shovel Knight is coming to Smash.

So logically, time to rant about Dark Pit."
Or, as I put it. "We're going mildly insane waiting for Nintendo to say anything about the Ballot and Shovel Knight's got a questionably defended rumor behind him and little other evidence. Someone's gonna bring up one small thing that's gonna make the thread explode."

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hi all! I'm hearing all this stuff about Indie character rumors...what have I been missing all this time? Can someone fill me in?
WayForward's been a harder pusher and a bit of a tease about Shantae making her way into Smash, and with a recent release of Pirate's Curse in Japan breaks the issue of being only properly known in one region.

YachtClubGames has recently paid for the rights to produce a Shovel Knight amiibo and there's a series of rumors that keep getting knocked down about him being in the game. The latest one has yet to fall.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't care about clones in principle. I don't have a problem with Doc or Lucina.
I hate Dark Pit because it makes me furious that Kid Icarus got 3 characters, and that Sakurai can't control his masturbatory urges.

On another note, can someone fill me in on shovel knight leak #741?

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You're taking this way too personally, imo. Don't let the the debates get you.

You've been on the site for 3 years now... this things shouldn't be bothering you any more.

It rubs me the wrong way when, despite all the things this year offered for the game, people still whine about the same thing as they did a year ago. That thing being a clone character clearly just shoehorned at the very last moments of development that doesn't have any major impact in the game as a whole and its quality.

It's complete insanity. It's incomprehensible. It's mind-boggling. It's just... I don't even know. People are nitpicking the **** out of a small thing in a game full of content for a year.

Not even R.O.B. in Brawl, who was the most hated character by far, had so much whining for such a long time.

Really though.

>Get to vote for any character you want in the ballot
>Get 4 quality characters as DLC, along with stages
>Get a roster of roughly 50 characters (1 of which is a complete clone)

One year later, people still complaining about ONE clone in the game, despite all the other positives out there about the game.
That's exactly what is unnerving.

Like, really unnerving.

The roster, counting the three Mii Fighter types as separate, has a whopping total of 55 characters. And they're not even done with the DLC.

Name the one time I started praising Sakurai like a god. No, Sakurai isn't a god and isn't perfect.

All I just said is that the game has had a tremendous amount of effort and that people are writing that off just because of what clearly is just an harmless extra addition.

I never said the game was perfect either. No game is perfect nor there will be a perfect game. Smash Run, for example, is lacking in some options. I don't like how certain songs were shortened because I feel such things damage the artistic integrity of the soundtrack. See? The game has flawed aspects. It's easy to point the flaws where they exist.

And well, I've wasted more time with this tripe than I ever desired. I'm off.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't care about clones in principle. I don't have a problem with Doc or Lucina.
I hate Dark Pit because it makes me furious that Kid Icarus got 3 characters, and that Sakurai can't control his masturbatory urges.

That's so unsubstantiated it makes me want to puke.

Seriously? I mean, seriously?

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I can sort of see why people wouldn't like clones; if you want a character in you probably want them to have a unique moveset. In the case of someone like Ganondorf, I can totally get why you'd rather he be in with a distinct moveset rather than be Falcondorf. I used to be pretty anti-clone character myself and I still think the Falcondorf situation is pretty weird.

I also think it makes sense to have preferences when it comes to what clone characters get included. Dark Pit seems to be a controversial choice, at least partly because he comes from a game Sakurai developed. If I were in charge, would I have chosen him? Probably not, haha, since as a Pikmin fan I'd rather have Alph.

But honestly, the more I play Smash 4, the more I appreciate all of the characters in the roster, including DP. While I don't play as everybody regularly, I think every character/alt adds something to the game, whether it be offering a completely new or slightly tweaked moveset or giving more people a chance to play as their favorite character. For example, though the female alts for Villager and Robin play exactly the same as the male ones do, they let people who prefer that version of them (and/or identify with it) be able to use the characters they like the most in Smash. I think there's definitely some value to that, just like there's some value to letting Falco fans play as Falco and Lucina fans play as Lucina, regardless of how original or unoriginal their movesets may be.

As for clone characters, Sakurai's statements about how they're made, as translated by the people on SourceGaming, have convinced me that they're really just a nice bonus. Like alts, they give people more options and allow more people to play as their favorite characters without cutting into a ton of development time that could've gone to characters with unique movesets. In my mind, that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That's so unsubstantiated it makes me want to puke.

Seriously? I mean, seriously?
What do you mean unsubstantiated?
Did you seriously think I was speaking literally?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What do you mean unsubstantiated?
Did you seriously think I was speaking literally?
It's unfair to make a claim like that, literal or not.

If you have a legit problem with the women in Smash, just say it without stooping to such a low statement.

Hi all! I'm hearing all this stuff about Indie character rumors...what have I been missing all this time? Can someone fill me in?

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/27/what-we-know-about-shovel-knight-in-smash/

(thank you multiquote)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
It's unfair to make a claim like that, literal or not.

If you have a legit problem with the women in Smash, just say it without stooping to such a low statement.
Don't put words in my mouth. That is a really insulting thing to say.
Sakurai put a buttload of kid icarus content in smash because he made and enjoyed the game. Meanwhile, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, and too many other series to count got the shaft. He isn't being impartial. That is what makes me mad about Dark Pit, and to a lesser degree, Palutena. That is what I figuratively meant with the word masturbatory.

You can take your digusting accusations of sexism and shove em where the sun don't shine.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Mewtwo's a clone of mew.

Can't believe Sakurai would add a clone of a pokeball pokemon.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Guys, calm down.

We're talking about a game, at the end of the day. No need to get so heated up.

Don't start fights here.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
But when you keep going on and on about it, the vibe I get is unhealthily obsessed. It's such an incredibly minor detail for people to be so worked up over.

WIsh I had something to edit this with pictures of Dark Pit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom