• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I get the feeling that Square is probably the last "megaton" level Japanese gaming company that has characters to contribute to Smash, be they more "iconic" classes/figures (Black Mage, Chocobo, DQ Slimes) or established characters (Chrono, Cloud, Sora, DQ Heroes).
Disney owns Sora

Burruni

Smash Hero
While I personally have a bias towards Spyro, I think Rayman is the most likely candidate next to Snake. Rayman trophies already being in the game just point to strong relations between Ubi and Ninty, and it certainly points to potential willingness the use the character.

EDIT: I also feel Black Mage could be a possibility since FF games do have a history appearing on Nintendo consoles, even if it's just spin-offs like Crystal Chronicles (which are great games btw). And someone made mention of the Mario Hoops crossover, and I feel those crossover games add to the chances of a SE character.
"FF games do have a history of appearing on Nintendo consoles, even if it's just spin-offs like Crystal Chronicles."

Or, also. The first 6 main games and their remakes.

When the class system was the foundation of characters.

Of which what has probably stood as the most iconic is the Black Mage.

Edit: Seriously, I love and hate SSF2 for making me love the idea of Black Mage as a fighter.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Interesting how last week, people would say, "NAW MAN. NEEDS A STRONG RELATIONSHIP WITH NINTENDO".

But now, because Sakurai said something about it, everybody says, "YEAH MAN. STRONG GAMING HISTORY" :troll:

Although, the people replying to me aren't the ones who typically go about things the first way. I'm just being a prick :laugh:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Here is my list of 3rd parties worthy of smash, it is quite exclusive:
Banjo and Kazooie
Slime
Black Mage/Chocobo
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot

Borderline:
Phoenix Wright
Spyro
Frogger

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Again, Lucina's changes don't change her playstyle. She still has to be played like Marth in order to work effectively (using that term loosely as she is probably bottom 10 right now).
I think it's comparably to Dark Pit though as while he is exactly the same otherwise, his two changed specials ARE substantially different, and his Final Smash.
Technically they do, though not in any massive manner; Lucina lacks the tipper, and so she can be played with less heed to spacing than Marth for her maximum damage. Essentially "training-wheels Marth", in a literal sense.

That's a playstyle change. And Dark Pit's FS is not original, either; it's basically just a clone of Light Arrow with a Dark Pit skin. And the specials are basically just scrapped Pit customs that were given to a last-minute clone so they'd be used in the game.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm really surprised nobody bought up a Belmont or Alucard...

Because, y'know

The genre of metroidVANIA's

I guess we can't have some EROTIC VIOLENCE in our Smash game.

*Proceeds to rampage down tokyo*

Edit: Litterally the next post

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My personal top pick for a third party character is Simon Belmont. Castlevania is noteworthy for its brutally difficult NES classics and pioneering the Metroidvania sub-genre with Symphony of the Night. While the series has had many protagonists over the years, the Belmont family is considered the face of the franchise and Simon is the original and the most popular, iconic, and reoccurring of the bunch. He can easily represent the 8- and 16-bit eras of Castlevania just as Mega Man and Ryu respectively pay homage to the NES Mega Man games and Street Fighter II.

Konami's current state aside, the main reason why Simon is unlikely right now is that he has to compete with the veteran Snake, and there's no guarantee that Sakurai would pull a Ryu and get both.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm really surprised nobody bought up a Belmont or Alucard...

Because, y'know

The genre of metroidVANIA's

I guess we can't have some EROTIC VIOLENCE in our Smash game.

*Proceeds to rampage down toyko*
*cough*

Here is my list of 3rd parties worthy of smash, it is quite exclusive:
Banjo and Kazooie
Slime
Black Mage/Chocobo
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot

Borderline:
Phoenix Wright
Spyro
Frogger

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Honestly, I can't think of a lot of 3rd parties with a lot of influence besides...Snake. I'd love to hear more ideas though, honest!

Rayman would be a good choice, even if he didn't "redefine" anything necessarily. He's still a gaming icon, or at least I think you could argue he is.

Indies (as much of a guilty pleasure as SK would be), I feel like need to break some boundaries in the industry. If Shovel Knight continues to succeed a few years from now, then I could see him getting added.

I'm honestly kinda glad the whole, "good relationship with Nintendo" thing got pooped on a little bit. I mean, it's not like a character like Master Chief of Kratos would ever get in, but the other extreme isn't that great either.
The Black Mage. Final Fantasy has so much history with Nintendo and it's an absolutely huge series (and it also continues on the 3DS via Bravely Default/Second). I'd put it up there with Mega Man, without the "being basically dead" part.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

So this is a roster of gaming icons I threw together. Notice where a lot of these choices come from. By gaming icons, I refer to characters that any gamer could recognize. Not to mention there are others around that would also be considered.

So who gets eliminated from this list? That would be...Master Chief, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Marcus Fenix, Gordon Freeman, Niko Bellic and Sackboy. The rest? Depends. Duke Nukem probably wouldn't happen, nor would Tetris blocks. Banjo is in limbo with Microsoft, technically Ezio has never appeared on a Nintendo console, Lara Croft didn't originate from a video game...

So we have left: Mario, Link, DK, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Snake, Ryu, Kirby, Luigi, Bomberman, Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Commander Shepard, Heihachi, Simon Belmont, Scorpion, Rayman, Black Mage, Leon... and I think Minecraft Steve? I think that's it.

There's some interesting results here. Clearly, some of these characters might have better perceived chances than others. There's more filters to put these characters through, but these are "icons". Plenty of characters brought up here don't necessarily...stack up.

Granted, for all I know, some of these characters could get shot down by Sakurai. I don't mean to speak for him. But these are just some prospects. Even then, plenty of these games have hardly made an "impact". Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
The moment someone thinks Shovel Knight is going to get in, I will show them that SourceGaming article.
Characters such as Rayman and Snake are a lot more deserving to be DLC.
Plus, now that the argument that Nintendo needs to have a good relationship with the parent company has been debunked, this significantly raises the chances for the likes of Rayman and Snake.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I still want Quote as my primary third-party/indie/outsider character.

Jump starting independent game development ties in with a strong gaming history, eh?? No? O-oh okay. I mean it's not like the average consumer is gonna wanna buy a character they have no attachment too unless they just look super cool or something.

Morbi

Scavenger
The moment someone thinks Shovel Knight is going to get in, I will show them that SourceGaming article.
Characters such as Rayman and Snake are a lot more deserving to be DLC.
Plus, now that the argument that Nintendo needs to have a good relationship with the parent company has been debunked, this significantly raises the chances for the likes of Rayman and Snake.
I do not necessarily believe that Shovel Knight is a plausible candidate; however, I must ask, what aspect of the SourceGaming article completely refutes Shovel Knight?

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Eh, might as well list off the characters I want to be Smash DLC.

1.) Sceptile (Pokémon)
2.) Wolf (Star Fox, Brawl)
3.) Rayman (Rayman)
4.) Bandana Dee (Kirby)
5.) Snake (Metal Gear)
6.) Cia (LoZ Hyrule Warriors)

To be honest, I only see 2 of these make it in :(

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I do not necessarily believe that Shovel Knight is a plausible candidate; however, I must ask, what aspect of the SourceGaming article completely refutes Shovel Knight?
I guess the part where it says that it "can't be anyone and everyone."
To me, Shovel Knight is a nobody. His game is only one year old and because of this, he shouldn't be near Smash.
I don't know what you would rather choose:
A character who has made a huge impact on the stealth genre, has been running for 28 years, and has exclusive Nintendo content,
or
A character who has barely made a dent in the gaming scene, is very young, and has more content on rival platforms?
I think the choice is easy.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
OK then.

While I'm inclined to disagree, I understand what you're saying. My bad.

In the future, more respectable language will prevent more misunderstandings.
Thanks for your measured response.
I should have phrased my criticism more delicately, and I apologize as well.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I always forget about Black Mage. That guy is so fun in Smash Flash.

But Rayman is definitely my go-to third party that I think actually has a shot. Long line of successful platformers on many Nintendo consoles, has a trophy already, plenty of moveset options...It sounds pretty plausible.

Or, y'know, Sakurai could finally put an Advance Wars character in. Andy/Sami PLLLLEEEEEASSSE. Ahem...

If we HAD to get an Indie character I'd put Quote or Commander Video.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I still want Quote as my primary third-party/indie/outsider character.

Jump starting independent game development ties in with a strong gaming history, eh?? No? O-oh okay. I mean it's not like the average consumer is gonna wanna buy a character they have no attachment too unless they just look super cool or something.
1) Toko is amazing.
2) As I said earlier today, Quote... I wish I could support him more because Cave Story is amazing. The issue is that it's been in a purgatory of re-releases in the past 11 years.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I guess the part where it says that it "can't be anyone and everyone."
To me, Shovel Knight is a nobody. His game is only one year old and because of this, he shouldn't be near Smash.
I don't know what you would rather choose:
A character who has made a huge impact on the stealth genre, has been running for 28 years, and has exclusive Nintendo content,
or
A character who has barely made a dent in the gaming scene, is very young, and has more content on rival platforms?
I think the choice is easy.
Preface: I don't care for Shovel Knight. He's been given enough attention everywhere else as it is.

The wording there is so incredibly vague it's impossible to know what exactly Sakurai meant by saying that. It doesn't disprove the possibility of even Shovel Knight at all. If anything, the only thing that hurt any potential newcomer was the fact that Sakurai said the character "needs a history", and SK has only been around for a year.

But to call him a "nobody" is just... to put it politely, off the mark. You don't spiral up to becoming the single most popular Indie game and character within a year for no reason.

"I don't know this character therefore they are a nobody" doesn't equal "I can speak for this character's eligibility as a potential Smash Bros. fighter".

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Push himself is open to the idea of non-iconic third parties with the Shovel Knight rumor coming around.
Still wouldn't put much stock in that, personally. Especially with Sakurai's official stance on Third Parties.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I always forget about Black Mage. That guy is so fun in Smash Flash.

But Rayman is definitely my go-to third party that I think actually has a shot. Long line of successful platformers on many Nintendo consoles, has a trophy already, plenty of moveset options...It sounds pretty plausible.

Or, y'know, Sakurai could finally put an Advance Wars character in. Andy/Sami PLLLLEEEEEASSSE. Ahem...

If we HAD to get an Indie character I'd put Quote or Commander Video.
The fact that the 11 game Wars series hasn't gotten a character yet is the 2nd biggest smash travesty (The first is that Toad isn't playable yet.)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
1) Toko is amazing.
2) As I said earlier today, Quote... I wish I could support him more because Cave Story is amazing. The issue is that it's been in a purgatory of re-releases in the past 11 years.
Your first point is awful because nobody likes Toko. She's just awful, I don't think she has a single redeemable quality just awful.

Your second one though... yeaaaah it doesn't lend itself well to a sequel. Pixel teasing that he would like to do something for it but hasn't done anything for it makes me sad. Just some Cave Story cameos in other games. They're nice but the hunger just grows with each additional thing.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
The first two 3rd parties (Besides Snake) that come to mind that I would like are Crash and Rayman. One has a very low chance, the other has a decent chance. Crash was considered the rival of Sonic and Mario for the PS1, then became 3rd party and appeared on other consoles (Just like Sonic). Rayman is a highly received platformer franchise that has sold around Megaman's sales (Less games to boot). These two would make me very happy to see (Especially with what they could bring). If Crash wasn't so associated with the Playstation brand, (and also being a dormant franchise as of 2010) would people support him more?

Not to say there's other choices. Bomberman, Simon Belmont, and a Final Fantasy character also fit the bill of "Recognizable game character that has supported Nintendo with their franchises". Then there's indies, which I would prefer not to get into (Been debated long enough).

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Preface: I don't care for Shovel Knight. He's been given enough attention everywhere else as it is.

The wording there is so incredibly vague it's impossible to know what exactly Sakurai meant by saying that. It doesn't disprove the possibility of even Shovel Knight at all. If anything, the only thing that hurt any potential newcomer was the fact that Sakurai said the character "needs a history", and SK has only been around for a year.

But to call him a "nobody" is just... to put it politely, off the mark. You don't spiral up to becoming the single most popular Indie game and character within a year for no reason.

"I don't know this character therefore they are a nobody" doesn't equal "I can speak for this character's eligibility as a potential Smash Bros. fighter".
..You do have a point.
Shovel Knight is NOT a nobody. I mean, his game has sold very well.
I should've said this:
When compared to Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, and Snake, Shovel Knight doesn't stack up well in terms of popularity.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Your first point is awful because nobody likes Toko. She's just awful, I don't think she has a single redeemable quality just awful.

Your second one though... yeaaaah it doesn't lend itself well to a sequel. Pixel teasing that he would like to do something for it but hasn't done anything for it makes me sad. Just some Cave Story cameos in other games. They're nice but the hunger just grows with each additional thing.
Please, Jataro beats her out in the self-loathing game.

But... it's the point that it doesn't lend itself well to a sequel that I stress. He's an icon of indie history... but he's largely become just that. History. With Sakurai making the point of not wanting characters who do not have future, a game which has had only remakes in 11 years can be held firmly against it especially as an indie/third party situation.

Which is a similar future that may come of Shovel Knight, but likely due to YCG dabbling in other characters for games akin to The Behemoth's line of games.

We'll see what happens...

Morbi

Scavenger
Eh, might as well list off the characters I want to be Smash DLC.

1.) Sceptile (Pokémon)
2.) Wolf (Star Fox, Brawl)
3.) Rayman (Rayman)
4.) Bandana Dee (Kirby)
5.) Snake (Metal Gear)
6.) Cia (LoZ Hyrule Warriors)

To be honest, I only see 2 of these make it in :(
I have supported essentially every single viable character for the last six months, and perhaps some not so viable ones (Agumon... Ha ha). But when all is said and done, the only two characters that I legitimately want are Banjo & Kazooie and Young Link.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If I did have a choice between Quote, Shantae and Shovel Knight, I would go with Quote. Mostly because I actually played Cave Story from start to finish before the Ballot craze with Shantae and Shovel Knight and it was flippin' fun. Gave me a huge Metroid/Contra-like vibe.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Welp, the movie page was updated. Nothing new...but I feel like there will be something new soon.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
I have supported essentially every single viable character for the last six months, and perhaps some not so viable ones (Agumon... Ha ha). But when all is said and done, the only two characters that I legitimately want are Banjo & Kazooie and Young Link.
If Young Link comes in, I hope they give him a unique moveset based on Majora's Mask.

As for Banjo...
Well, Microsoft still owns him and even if the head of Microsoft is Okay with it, Nintendo is the one to decide that move and it's kind of risky.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
There are a lot of characters I'd like to see in smash.
But Toad and Banjo & Kazooie blow all of them out of the water. No one else really compares, for me.

Morbi

Scavenger
If I did have a choice between Quote, Shantae and Shovel Knight, I would go with Quote. Mostly because I actually played Cave Story from start to finish before the Ballot craze with Shantae and Shovel Knight and it was flippin' fun. Gave me a huge Metroid/Contra-like vibe.
That being said, I wonder if the ballot craze of Shantae and Shovel Knight actually effected anything. Prior to the ballot, I doubt many people were talking about either character; however, seemingly out of nowhere, people decided that we needed an indie character. I did not believe that Sakurai was going to take the ballot results entirely seriously, and that he would probably just choose one of the top candidates that was feasible to develop. But, if one of those two characters actually made it on the roster, that would be enough to convince me that the ballot meant something.

As for Quote, I would go with him just to spite Shantae and Shovel Knight supporters alike. Albeit, I do believe Shantae would be a serviceable choice.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The problem with certain characters could even lay in the amiibo production. Microsoft is a direct competitor, and making an amiibo for them (while awesome) would print money for a direct competitor. That would be the case for Konami, but they aren't a direct competitor.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
I feel like we need some sort of new game mode. Smash 4 is the worst when it comes to modes. Smash tour is terrible, Online Tourney is Ok, Classic and All-star don't feel the same and the rest is forgettable.

Maybe a Story mode? Break the targets? (Melee style) Offline Tournament?
Where the good stuff at?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I feel like we need some sort of new game mode. Smash 4 is the worst when it comes to modes. Smash tour is terrible, Online Tourney is Ok, Classic and All-star don't feel the same and the rest is forgettable.

Maybe a Story mode? Break the targets? (Melee style) Offline Tournament?
Where the good stuff at?
A story mode would be horribly counter-productive for effort or cost as it's one of the largest time sinks into Brawl.
Break the targets is something people in general miss and would be a neat bonus for say a $5 thing you pay for that someone just strung up in their spare time.
Offline Tournament mode.... I don't know.

Morbi

Scavenger
The problem with certain characters could even lay in the amiibo production. Microsoft is a direct competitor, and making an amiibo for them (while awesome) would print money for a direct competitor. That would be the case for Konami, but they aren't a direct competitor.
I had never thought about the Amiibo side of things, which I do believe might influence Rayman's chances. Good point.

Although, they could always attribute the majority percentage of profits to Nintendo. That being said, Microsoft might not be so, "yes, we would love Banjo to be in Smash" if Nintendo did try to siphon those sweet, sweet Amiibo dollars from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom