• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This may be irrelevant, but Toon Link has been confirmed for Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Im expecting him to be based on Triforce Heroes Toon Link Personally.
Funny how LoZ fans don't complain about the prospect of having 3 Links were as Smash fans.....well you already know.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Funny how LoZ fans don't complain about the prospect of having 3 Links were as Smash fans.....well you already know.
In HW? Well, at least Koei gives their Links completely different movesets.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In HW? Well, at least Koei gives their Links completely different movesets.
Which is why having 3 Links doesn't mean they all have to be a clone of each other.

Anyways, I want to leave it at that.

EDIT: Quoting was weird for some reason.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Difference of being a Zelda crossover instead of a Nintendo crossover.
Especially when Link, across his own weapon kinds, and Young Link play with only trace resemblances of eachother.

WHOLE different ball park, so there's nothing to gain bringing it up.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Along with that, I'm pretty sure Zelda fans have complained about there being three Links. Hell, I still remember the backlash Young Link on his own got when he was first confirmed for the Majora's Mask DLC.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
To be fair Legend of Zelda is just one franchise, whereas Smash Bros encompasses numerous different fandoms. It's not the same.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I don't see KI expanding at all for DLC/Smash 5. Especially with the fact that Sakurai has firmly stated he has no intentions on making a sequel to Uprising and will probably lead the series to go dormant.
The only one I can truly think of that may end up making the cut is Medusa. Other than that, either just add her or keep the series at three unless Sakurai makes another game

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Along with that, I'm pretty sure Zelda fans have complained about there being three Links. Hell, I still remember the backlash Young Link on his own got when he was first confirmed for the Majora's Mask DLC.
I remember that. Most of them were silenced when he became FD and cut the moon in half.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Double Posting Warning Received
Holy **** Young Link talk again!?

When are we gonna learn that Impa is best choice?

Do it soon. Young Link talk sucks. Impa talk is much better. Believe me, ask around for evidence.

Probably low as a whole, because the Zelda margin is pretty heavily held on Impa (grrrr)

Yes, I take enjoyment in this.

Last edited by a moderator:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
If we were to get another Zelda character, I'd honestly rather it be one of the four Zelda assists we have already: a slapstick-based Tingle, hair wielder Midna, dark magic swordsman Ghirahim or a dark mage trickster Skull Kid. All have unique playstyles to me, and would definitely bring something to the game others couldn't. However, Ghirahim / Midna / Skull Kid have been kind of limited in their importance to Zelda, kind of just showing up and then disappearing until something like Hyrule Warriors. If we see any of them again, I'd love to see them get the upgrade. Tingle, however, seems to be in AT limbo alongside the other Brawl Assists like Waluigi and Saki, so I'm not sure if they'd let Tingle join the fight unless he's got a huge role in Zelda Wii U or any other titles before Smash 5 goes into development.

EDIT: If transformations were still intact, I'd say Young Link w/ Masks would be interesting, but it's not happening w/o that mechanic. Impa's important to Zelda, but she really doesn't drive the "all-star" concept too well. We haven't even really see too much she can do different from Sheik that isn't from Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Except using magic, using the unutilised Deku Nuts, having a mighty barrier, her trophy mentoining her fighting abilities, the stance she took whilst casting the barrier suggesting familiarity with material arts? NO I SEE NOTHING TO WORK WITH FOR IMPA AT ALL!

using the unutilised Deku Nuts,
already utilized. it is an item

, having a mighty barrier,
not exactly a move you can use offensively. . . pretty uch every characters shield button of palutena's non-custom side b
her trophy mentioning her fighting abilities, t!
plenty of trophies do that. . . At least the AT show off that ability
the stance she took whilst casting the barrier suggesting familiarity with material arts?
talk about a stretch. . .

All other zelda characters > a character that certain people pretend that is much more important to the franchise than she actually is.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Except using magic, using the unutilised Deku Nuts, having a mighty barrier, her trophy mentoining her fighting abilities, the stance she took whilst casting the barrier suggesting familiarity with material arts? NO I SEE NOTHING TO WORK WITH FOR IMPA AT ALL!
The problem is that Zelda / Sheik kind of cover all of those bases of casting magic spells or being a martial arts fighter. The longsword she uses in Hyrule Warriors would be great, but Deku Nuts and a magic barrier aren't enough to condone an entire moveset.

I'm in the party of "I don't care about clones / semi-clones", so I guess an ideal concept for Impa would be having her be the more balanced combination of Zelda and Sheik, with Zelda being extreme defense, and Sheik extreme offense. Giving her some of Zelda's defensive magic (like the barrier could be similar to Nayru's Love), and then a fighting style rivaling Sheik's, I think it'd be an interesting character. But the problem's that I really don't think Impa can provide a gimmick or playstyle unlike any other character without having to rely on borrowing from the princess's forms.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Brawl yes. Not this game.
not exactly a move you can use offensively. . . pretty uch every characters shield button of palutena's non-custom side b
All Special Moves should be offensive? News to me!
plenty of trophies do that. . . At least the AT show off that ability
Yet Impa's compared her to Ghirahim, the game's assumed main antagonist till the end. Gotta say something.
talk about a stretch. . .
:4sheik:'s entire moveset is a stretch.
All other zelda characters > a character that certain people pretend that is much more important to the franchise than she actually is.
Research is your friend, bias isn't.

Just wtf is this 'analysis' of yours?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I want a sonic character. Period. My only problem is that almost all of the sonic characters would present the same meta problem that sonic does: they would all have supreme camping game because of their super-speed compared to every one else.

What are your opinions?
Eh, I don't really want another Sonic character, but I wouldn't mind seeing Knuckles. Metal Sonic would be my top pick though.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Here's how I see it when it comes to a Zelda rep:
Reskin Sheik and replace her with Impa, make Sheik an alt for Impa. That way the Zelda fans have "MUH RECENCY AND RELEVANCE!" and a new rep. :troll:

Next. We take the time and resources and make a rep another franchise ACTUALLY needs (like Donkey Kong, and I don't even care for Donkey Kong).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Yet Impa's compared her to Ghirahim, the game's assumed main antagonist till the end. Gotta say something.

Deku Nuts are here

Oni DOES have a point, 'mighty barrier' could easily just be a shield. Besides, that shield's weak to LGBT, Ghirahim got to break it

That doesn't disprove Oni's point

Not entirely, Vanish came from something

You are actually being hypocritical as you are very biased yourself. This is coming from someone who wouldn't mind Impa

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
...I don't know what you've been thinking, but Deku Nuts are still items in Smash 4.
The majority are, actually. Defensive specials are way more rare than offensive ones.
....that still doesn't say anything. King K. Rool's trophy calls him the Bowser to DK's Mario, and yet he's not playable (yet, at least). Comparing to an AT is even less impressive than that.

No, it isn't. Her Teleport is based on how she uses Deku Nuts to vanish in Ocarina of Time, she has various moves reflecting her athleticism and her entire theme is based on, guess what, ninjas. Impa would either be a clone of Shiek with some magic properties or a Robin knockoff with some Shiek moves, not this badass want you claim her to be. Compare the people who recognize Impa to those who recognize King K. Rool, and there's the proof that she's obscure. Marth and Roy at least had a massive Japanese franchise to them. Impa's another Zelda character, and not even one central to the series. It's like if I said Funky Kong was more likely for Smash than King K.Rool!

A reccuring character is NOT a central one. Lucina is a central character to Awakening, but it's doubtful she'll be important to every game from now on.
Funny, coming from the Impa fanboy who claims she's "the only Zelda rep left", when we DON'T EVEN HAVE A PROPER GANON YET. Give me the main villain over a side character, please. I'm at best ambivalent to Impa, but I'd bet my ass a lot more people would want a real Ganon WAAAAAAY over Impa.

Stating the truth that a non-central character of an already well-represented franchise doesn't actually need to be in Smash. Give me Ridley or K.Rool please; at least then, they're both crowd-pleasers and something for more under-appreciated franchises.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is a non-central character but her name is mentoined alongside Link's and Zelda's to have a special meaning in Hyrule Historia. :laugh: Sure. Original holder of the Triforce of Power, been around the series since the NES days, first ally of Link in Hyrule Warriors (first announced second playable character alongside Link even), having a major revival role in Skyward Sword, NOT being a ****ing one-off whilst staying prominent in the series and NOT named Link, Zelda or Ganon...

Sure, Impa has no merrits to be in Smash. :smirk:

This has been disproved too many times. And yes, Ganondorf needs a new moveset, what the **** else is new?

Also, all Specials are supposed to be offensive, yet we have a trillion Counters and Reflectors... DA **** IS UP WITH THAT!? :laugh: :smirk:

Last edited:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that Zelda / Sheik kind of cover all of those bases of casting magic spells or being a martial arts fighter. The longsword she uses in Hyrule Warriors would be great, but Deku Nuts and a magic barrier aren't enough to condone an entire moveset.

I'm in the party of "I don't care about clones / semi-clones", so I guess an ideal concept for Impa would be having her be the more balanced combination of Zelda and Sheik, with Zelda being extreme defense, and Sheik extreme offense. Giving her some of Zelda's defensive magic (like the barrier could be similar to Nayru's Love), and then a fighting style rivaling Sheik's, I think it'd be an interesting character. But the problem's that I really don't think Impa can provide a gimmick or playstyle unlike any other character without having to rely on borrowing from the princess's forms.
I agree that Impa has a lot more potential a sort of remix of Zelda and Shiek, but disagree that its not enough. I think she would make a great character along those lines in fact.

Also, I feel that people often understate Impa's prevalence in the LoZ series. She has existed in one form or another for a long time and usually plays a major story role. She may not be a main character, but she's definitely major.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Impa is a non-central character but her name is mentoined alongside Link's and Zelda's to have a special meaning in Hyrule Historia. :laugh: Sure. Original holder of the Triforce of Power, been around the series since the NES days, first ally of Link in Hyrule Warriors (first announced second playable character alongside Link even), having a major revival role in Skyward Sword, NOT being a ****ing one-off whilst staying prominent in the series and NOT named Link, Zelda or Ganon...

Sure, Impa has no merrits to be in Smash. :smirk:

This has been disproved too many times. And yes, Ganondorf needs a new moveset, what the **** else is new?

Also, all Specials are supposed to be offensive, yet we have a trillion Counters and Reflectors... DA **** IS UP WITH THAT!? :laugh: :smirk:
We aren't saying she doesn't have merits. We're saying her merits aren't as much as you make them out to be. Also, about your MUH OFFENSIVE argument with counters and reflectors, what do those do? Counter attacks and deal damage. You should have used PSI Magnet as an example, and even then, just creating a barrier is pathetic if it doesn't do anything

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I didn't know you couldn't use items in special moves.

I also didn't know that you can't have shield-based special moves either.
No-One implied those at all though.

Just that Diddy was hilariously wrong (and hypocritical) with his 'no Deku Nuts in SSB4/do your research' statements.

Defensive Specials were already said to be a thing. Maybe read the points properly next time?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Alright nvm let's just discuss Young Link as we cannot take imagination and creativity anywhere.

I THINK YOUNG LINK WOULD PLAY A LITTLE LIKE :4link:, BUT SMALLER, LIGHTER AND WEAKER!

Also I don't play with items, wtf do I know.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
'2 Links, 2 Zeldas and 1 inaccurate Ganondorf. Who should we add? An actual version of Ganon that's true to the source material? Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik as they were planned in Brawl? Impa because clearly she's the only character worth adding' That's pretty much what I got from this.

Alright nvm let's just discuss Young Link as we cannot take imagination and creativity anywhere.

I THINK YOUNG LINK WOULD PLAY A LITTLE LIKE , BUT SMALLER, LIGHTER AND WEAKER!

Also I don't play with items, wtf do I know.
That's not how it works, we aren't saying Impa can't be unique, how the **** did that end up in your monkey brains?

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
No-One implied those at all though.

Just that Diddy was hilariously wrong (and hypocritical) with his 'no Deku Nuts in SSB4/do your research' statements.

Defensive Specials were already said to be a thing. Maybe read the points properly next time?
Oh, I read the points quite clearly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
'
That's not how it works, we aren't saying Impa can't be unique, how the **** did that end up in your monkey brains?
If you cannot imagine a barrier move that basically explains itself in the cutscene making up for a good Special move I really don't know what else to say. Am not gonna waste too much time here anymore explaining stuff. Been there, done that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If you cannot imagine a barrier move that basically explains itself in the cutscene making up for a good Special move I really don't know what else to say. Am not gonna waste too much time here anymore explaining stuff. Been there, done that.
Here's the thing. The barrier acts like an overgrown Shield, it isn't invincible. How do you translate that in Smash? Impa covers herself in a barrier which breaks after a while. That's what shields are for

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
INB4 IMPA REPLACES SHEIK AND THEY ADD GANON AS A SEPARATE CHARACTER
I cannot stand the 'replace Sheik' argument at all. Sheik's stayed this long for a reason and is popular with Smash fans, not to mention it implies Impa can't do anything different. Why waste time and money swapping the model of a popular character to a new one?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Here's the thing. The barrier acts like an overgrown Shield, it isn't invincible. How do you translate that in Smash? Impa covers herself in a barrier which breaks after a while. That's what shields are for
Then make it a half barrier, half counter of some sort? It's not really hard to use a bit of creative liberty. Since :4fox: alot :4falco: of :4falcon: characters :4mii: we :rosalina: have :4duckhunt: now :4rob: do :4zss: that :4sheik:.

Morbi

Scavenger
We aren't saying she doesn't have merits. We're saying her merits aren't as much as you make them out to be. Also, about your MUH OFFENSIVE argument with counters and reflectors, what do those do? Counter attacks and deal damage. You should have used PSI Magnet as an example, and even then, just creating a barrier is pathetic if it doesn't do anything
One cannot pass off a character's merits differently or necessarily over-state them either. Merits are inherent to the character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Then make it a half barrier, half counter of some sort? It's not really hard to use a bit of creative liberty. Since :4fox: alot :4falco: of :4falcon: characters :4mii: we :rosalina: have :4duckhunt: now :4rob: do :4zss: that :4sheik:.
What the flying **** do Falcon, DHD, Rob, Zamus and Sheik do with that? You simply said 'barrier' when 3 of your examples have Reflectors, something possibly based on how Barrel Rolls reflected enemy fire in Star Fox. Rosalina doesn't summon a barrier either, she nullifies projectiles. Are you daft? If you think it's the same then I recommend reading posts a few times before thinking

Morbi

Scavenger
What the flying **** do Falcon, DHD, Rob, Zamus and Sheik do with that? You simply said 'barrier' when 3 of your examples have Reflectors, something possibly based on how Barrel Rolls reflected enemy fire in Star Fox. Rosalina doesn't summon a barrier either, she nullifies projectiles. Are you daft? If you think it's the same then I recommend reading posts a few times before thinking
Calm down, if you read his post, you would realize that those characters are examples of in-game fighters with creative liberties. That means that Sakurai used something for a move-set that was not explicitly in one of their games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Doe jij is ff rustig aan ofzo joh?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Calm down, if you read his post, you would realize that those characters are examples of in-game fighters with creative liberties. That means that Sakurai used something for a move-set that was not explicitly in one of their games.
Doesn't count because I'm tired :p
In all seriousness, I'd love Impa, but she's one of the lowesr Zelda characters on my priority list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom