• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Apparently my cousin has a friend who's dad has sources from multiple gaming companies, and said that they're going to add more Pokemon to the game. :dizzy: I wouldn't believe this, but I thought I'd bring it up. :estatic:
I think it would make sense, but only if Squirtle and Ivysaur were a good ways in development when they were cut.
(Gotta believe right?)

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I think it would make sense, but only if Squirtle and Ivysaur were a good ways in development when they were cut.
(Gotta believe right?)
Wouldn't they have found that in 3DS files alongside Ice Climbers and supposedly Proto Man?

I'm assuming those resources became the Mii Figher Costume.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's the matter with Impa.

She DOES share similarity to :4sheik: in Skyward Sword, her biggest canon role, as any major Sheikah probably would, with the benefit of some time magic shield properties or something. I still don't quite get what that barrier was made of. Of course, she could be made very distinct in spite of this. :4greninja::4sheik: Ninjas can be plenty different.

But, here's the two big things.

1) Inconsistency/Importance - :4link:'s always been the hero, with an overall similar design (outside of the games using :4tlink:'s look). :4zelda:'s changed her hair a few times, but stands as the Princess. :4ganondorf:, even with his three appearances, stands as the big bad (especially if we count the over half-dozen appearances of his Piggy form as the antagonist), and has the biggest variance in design across his few appearances. Impa is... either a nurse or protector of Zelda. But her looks have jumped across ages and body sizes. Let alone that, Skyward Sword is pretty much her only major role... which the next game bumped her back down to a sage and nanny.

2) Popularity - Outside of Smashboards, I've never really seen her brought up. Of course, this isn't everything. But when someone isn't a major protagonist, main antagonist, or "Princess" level important to their home series as a whole, you either are on par of :4bowserjr: as a reocurring second-in-command, uprising established star with strong following :rosalina:, or just be a Sakurai special "surprise" character :4gaw:/:4wiifit:.

Impa, just... doesn't strike out in Zelda enough and I just can't see her making a jump to Smash. There's really only one Zelda character that I do and he honestly isn't close.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I have no idea where you are getting this info But there is no way this is true.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/01/26/smash-4-wii-u-data-discoveries/
Stuff was found (like Viruses from Dr mario) but nothing about wither of those involving scrapped characters :/

Empty files were reported on the 3DS version with names like climber and blues. I don't know about the verifiability, or what they could have been for. I just remember it circulating between the 3DS and Wii U release.

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't they have found that in 3DS files alongside Ice Climbers and supposedly Proto Man?
I'm assuming those resources became the Mii Figher Costume.
......pretty sure neither were found in the 3DS files.

EDIT: Ninja'd by oni.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Impa, Toad, and Waddle Dee / Bandana Dee all suffer from how they're used a lot--and in the latter two are even playable frequently--across their series, but still don't have quite enough significance to make them star "hard enough" within their own respective series. They make lots of appearances, but are only rarely "major" despite sometimes having playable status. This is probably why Sakurai hasn't added any of these three in Smash yet. It's something I wish was not the case since I'd like to see any of these three characters in Smash, if not outright all of three them.

The one with the biggest chance, I think, is Toad, if Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker keeps Toad in the spotlight with further starring appearances or major story roles in other Mario or Toad games. Out of the three Toad is the only one with a starring role, so I'd say he's likely in the event that he's DLC or a character for Smash 5.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Impa, Toad, and Waddle Dee / Bandana Dee all suffer from how they're used a lot--and in the latter two are even playable frequently--across their series, but still don't have quite enough significance to make them star "hard enough" within their own respective series. They make lots of appearances, but are only rarely "major" despite sometimes having playable status. This is probably why Sakurai hasn't added any of these three in Smash yet. It's something I wish was not the case since I'd like to see any of these three characters in Smash, if not outright all of three them.

The one with the biggest chance, I think, is Toad, if Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker keeps Toad in the spotlight with further starring appearances or major story roles in other Mario or Toad games. Out of the three Toad is the only one with a starring role, so I'd say he's likely in the event that he's DLC or a character for Smash 5.
Touching upon this (In a way)...

One of the biggest disadvantages the Zelda series has compared to both Mario and Kirby are spin-offs and co-operative play (not involving multiple Links)...

Impa got arguably her biggest role in a spin-off and some people shrug it off because it isn't canon...but yet characters like Rosalina pretty much continue their popularity and relevance because of their playable roles in spin-offs...SMG on it's own wouldn't have made Rosalina a prominent enough figure if Nintendo didn't follow through with her popularity by adding her to the main cast...

This is why I dislike the whole-one game wonder, and not-important enough to the series arguments for certain Zelda characters because they aren't really given that much of a chance since Nintendo isn't following up with these characters (with the exception of Tingle who mostly everyone in the Zelda fan-base dislikes...I have to admit I'd be pretty salty if he made it into Smash as a playable fighter) as opposed to characters from the Mario series...

The Zelda franchise has way too much potential overall, just think about what can be done with what they already have without even making a main series game...Imagine a Zelda 'turn-based' RPG for example...

PIXLEsauce

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cheatingtaco
3DS FC
2320-6152-1291
Apparently my cousin has a friend who's dad has sources from multiple gaming companies, and said that they're going to add more Pokemon to the game. :dizzy: I wouldn't believe this, but I thought I'd bring it up. :estatic:
well my dad is bill gates and he said shrek will b the only dlc

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm a Tetra, Midna and Ganon kind of guy.

On a side note...

They DID say this ballot was 100% fan-service. It has nothing to do with the characters significance to their, just how significant the character's fan base is. So as far as this ballot goes, Dee, Impa, and Toad are all very possible as long as their fans show serious support in the ballot.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I'm a Tetra, Midna and Ganon kind of guy.

On a side note...

They DID say this ballot was 100% fan-service. It has nothing to do with the characters significance to their, just how significant the character's fan base is. So as far as this ballot goes, Dee, Impa, and Toad are all very possible as long as their fans show serious support in the ballot.
Very possible. I wish we could see who was in lead, would be very interesting.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
If I could add a new Zelda rep, I would go with Ghirahim, Midna or Ganon. And I would like Tetra too, but I prefer the ones I mentioned.

So, speaking of Ganon: if he was going to be added to the game, which form of Ganon would you go with? If I recall correctly, we have the classic blue Ganon with the trident, the double-sword Ganon from Ocarina, the Ganon from Hyrule Warriors and Yuga in his Ganon form (I know anybody will like this last one, but he's still an option :roll:).
I would go with his classic form, the blue boar, because he's the one that's more likely to get re-sized to fit, and represents the classic games, along with a representative moveset.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Very possible. I wish we could see who was in lead, would be very interesting.
The problem is, they also designed the ballot in a way where there really is no "lead". They said they wanted quality over quantity in the responses, which is why there is the "Why you want X character" on the ballot.

Banette

Smash Cadet
Adding Zelda characters are we? I'd choose Midna, Midna & Wolf Link, and Twili Midna :awesome:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Anyway, the ballot ends in October and we're due for a direct soon.

You guys think we can get a character reveal before the ballot ends?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I could see a character getting revealed at the end of September or right at the beginning of October.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Anyway, the ballot ends in October and we're due for a direct soon.

You guys think we can get a character reveal before the ballot ends?
I wouldn't expect a Direct this soon. I think they wouldn't have announced Pikmin 4 randomly a few days ago if a Direct was planned.

Though Sakurai streaming an announcement could happen, like Robin and Lucina's reveal.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

Burruni

Smash Hero
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.
One issue with the listing of it, just for future reference.

Marina Liteyears (of Mischeif Maker) was made by Treasure, which as absorbed into Enix, and thus Square-Enix now owns the rights to the game.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Tingle seems the way to go for another Zelda rep. He represents the wacky, insane Hyrule inhabitants. The eccentric townspeople to the hermit living in the overworld, to a man selling masks, ALL make Zelda games so flavorful and addicting.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What does Tetra add to the Zelda cast?
Not much.

Tingle, as much as I hate to say it (bias) seems to be the best choice. Unless we can find a character that represents all the weird enemies Zelda has to offer.

ToonKake

So Animated
NNID
ToOn_Cake
Heres MY Most Top Wanted Chars for Smash

1. Bomberman ( the way he has his bombs would be dope stage control.)
2. Dixie Kong (Fighting with her hair & Bubble gun would be soo dope)
3. Krystal (Star Fox) (ive BEEN WANTED HER Since Brawl lol.)
4. Shante (ive like seen polls for dis Char like.... EVERYWHERE lol id be down for her)
5. Rayman (Ever since the Rayman hype Turnt out to be fake ive wanted it to happen from time)
6. Shovel Knight (Thus i do believe he IS the highly candiate due to a lot of rumors being backed up behind him Also not to mention his... AMIBIO!!)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So cannonballs? I am not sold.

I would say Tingle for representing the zany side of Hyrule or:

Demise as the "other form of Ganondorf" so each character as another form
Pirates have more than cannonballs. ****, her HW moveset shows enough tbh. Not trying to diss Tingle though, I'm okay with him.
No to Demise, we need PiggyDorf for that

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ganon is the Final Smash of Ganondorf. He turns into a pig monster. Now of course the FS could change or the playable Ganon could be a different Ganon.

But Demise brings in part of the origins of Zelda lore.

But honestly I would be happy with Ganon with a trident. I just think Demise would be a more likely choice.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If we're getting any pirates, they better be bulky crocodile pirates. :p

Ganon is the Final Smash of Ganondorf. He turns into a pig monster. Now of course the FS could change or the playable Ganon could be a different Ganon.

But Demise brings in part of the origins of Zelda lore.

But honestly I would be happy with Ganon with a trident. I just think Demise would be a more likely choice.
If we could have 2 Links from the same game in Melee we can have 2 different Ganons imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom