• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Impa, Toad, and Waddle Dee / Bandana Dee all suffer from how they're used a lot--and in the latter two are even playable frequently--across their series, but still don't have quite enough significance to make them star "hard enough" within their own respective series.
As a fan of all three; this is my biggest fear. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and Rainbow Curse are the last hopes for Toad and Dee. Especially annoying when Toad is actually a decent sized star in his own right, but many Smash fans sadly see him as a pointless addition.

Morbi

Scavenger
As a fan of all three; this is my biggest fear. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and Rainbow Curse are the last hopes for Toad and Dee. Especially annoying when Toad is actually a decent sized star in his own right, but many Smash fans sadly see him as a pointless addition.
I doubt most Smash fans would perceive him as a pointless addition if he was not used as Peach's down-special. He is quite literally the next biggest (most prominent) Mario character after the big four. Albeit, they have been pushing Rosalina A LOT since she was conceived.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Speaking of Captain Toad:

He's in a bit of a conflict now in terms of votes.
Doesn't surprise me.

"Too many Marios"
"Is a counter"
"Annoying voice"
"LolCan'tJump"
"Too generic"

Between the above complaints I'm basically giving up on (Captain) Toad ever getting in from fan polls, and Sakurai's not going to change his stance on the character after three games. Either Sakurai retires or he's never getting in.

Speaking of Captain Toad:

He's in a bit of a conflict now in terms of votes.
Which is really unfortunate with how good of a choice he is. . . He is probably our only chance of getting a playable Toad and people don't even want him that much unfortunately. :/

I can only hope for a Treasure Trackers 2 so he doesn't fade out of existence. . .

Burruni

Smash Hero
I doubt most Smash fans would perceive him as a pointless addition if he was not used as Peach's down-special. He is quite literally the next biggest (most prominent) Mario character after the big four. Albeit, they have been pushing Rosalina A LOT since she was conceived.
Luckily, Morbid, Toad ISN'T Peach's Down-Special
It's her Neutral Special! :troll:

PIXLEsauce

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cheatingtaco
3DS FC
2320-6152-1291
imo if they ever add any mario characters they might as well make a seperate fighting game just for mario characters, kind of like pokken.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Tingle with a moveset entirely based on Tingles Freshly Toasted Plum-Flavored Rupeeland.

BOOM! BOOM!! BOOM!!!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Tingle with a moveset entirely based on Tingles Freshly Toasted Plum-Flavored Rupeeland.

BOOM! BOOM!! BOOM!!!
Yo.
I've played
And beaten
Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
He does damn near nothing but pay people.
He gets bodyguards to do all the combat for him, basically.
Excluding the final boss where Tingle puts on a fishbowl and uses a rupee machine gun.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yo.
I've played
And beaten
Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
He does damn near nothing but pay people.
He gets bodyguards to do all the combat for him, basically.
Excluding the final boss where Tingle puts on a fishbowl and uses a rupee machine gun.
He attacks people by flinging money at them. Anna's immune to this, but if Tingle throws money the edge, Anna tries catching it

Burruni

Smash Hero
Seriously.
Say what you want about Impa being the biggest character not related to the Tri-force, Tingle got THREE spin-offs, even if one was basically a version of Balloon Fighter.

BUT LOOK AT THIS FINAL BOSS FIGHT.

Troykv

Smash Master
Heres MY Most Top Wanted Chars for Smash

1. Bomberman ( the way he has his bombs would be dope stage control.)
2. Dixie Kong (Fighting with her hair & Bubble gun would be soo dope)
3. Krystal (Star Fox) (ive BEEN WANTED HER Since Brawl lol.)
4. Shante (ive like seen polls for dis Char like.... EVERYWHERE lol id be down for her)
5. Rayman (Ever since the Rayman hype Turnt out to be fake ive wanted it to happen from time)
6. Shovel Knight (Thus i do believe he IS the highly candiate due to a lot of rumors being backed up behind him Also not to mention his... AMIBIO!!)
*Amiibo

My Top Newcomers really wanted is only a Top 2, but with other ideas that I want is a Top 4

1.- Micaiah (my loved one, I like anything about her! I love magicians! Actual magicians!...weirdly has more Smash Support in Japan than the recent Lords)
2.- Adeleine

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Tingle seems the way to go for another Zelda rep. He represents the wacky, insane Hyrule inhabitants. The eccentric townspeople to the hermit living in the overworld, to a man selling masks, ALL make Zelda games so flavorful and addicting.

There are tons more who deserve it than Tingle. I'm just wanting to know why the **** people want Tingle in other than him being a wtf, random, and recurring character to the series? He doesn't belong in it at all other than background and AT

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I've always hated the idea of a playable Tingle in Smash. The thing is that I never get angry, irritated, or involved whenever a Tingle discussion is going on because I'm not at all worried that they'll ever actually make him playable in Smash. He doesn't deserve it, and Sakurai has always been aware of that since Melee. He plays a small role in the core Zelda series if any at all, so he wouldn't represent the Zelda franchise well enough. Not to mention that there are plenty of Zelda characters far more requested than Tingle. He's got like no chance ever at being playable, so I kind of just shrug him off.

XbusterKosmos

Keyblade Master
tingle is fine being an assist trophy or just in the level like he was in the past.

Kos-mos should be in, but that just me being optimistic.

D

Deleted member

If it's down to deserving based on arbitrary qualifications, we've already met our quota with the "Triforce Trio". With an alter ego for Zelda and a second incarnation of Link thrown in as a bonus.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
If it's down to deserving based on arbitrary qualifications, we've already met our quota with the "Triforce Trio". With an alter ego for Zelda and a second incarnation of Link thrown in as a bonus.
Exactly. Which is why I stated two pages earlier that a DLC Zelda character doesn't seem very likely to me at this point.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The problem with ssb4 DLC speculation.
  • We have said pretty much all that can be said about the frontrunners.
  • Anyone who is not a frontrunner has the majority against the character's inclusion.
I mean, we are talking about bizarre characters because we have no one else to talk about, and everyone else is just like: "lol NO!"

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
  • Anyone who is not a frontrunner has the majority against the character's inclusion.
I mean, we are talking about bizarre characters because we have no one else to talk about, and everyone else is just like: "lol NO!"
Which is why we need a damn announcement already!!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad Do you still want Toad/think he has a shot in the future or have you completely shifted to Captain Toad?
Personally, after thinking on it, I think Toad should still be considered instead of Captain Toad. For two reasons.

- One, him technically not being Toad means he's...technically a lot less important. I feel like that's a major point in Toad's favor and it would mean more to see him finally make the cut.

- Two, the "Captain" persona kinda limits his moveset. I like the idea of Toad representing Mario spin-offs and power-ups in his moveset and that gives him a ton of potential - Captain's moveset would be based on one game. That would be a bit of a let down considering what Toad can technically do.

Here's my idea of his special moves based on different games and spin-off series.

Neutral Special: Party Block: - Mario Party Series -
Toad creates a numbered Dice Block above his head and hits it with his head with a second input. Then, Toad lays a series of Red Space traps on the ground depending on the number he rolls.

Side Special: Mario Kart: - Mario Kart Series -
Toad hops in a Mario Kart and rides around in it. Similar to Wario's Bike but instead of doing a wheelie he jumps. If you do a Smash input when starting this move, Toad gets on a bike instead of a Kart, which goes faster and farther but can't be controlled.

Up Special: Propeller Helmet: - New Super Mario Bros. Series -
Toad dons a Propeller Helmet and flies far upward. The propeller rapidly damages anyone who gets caught in it and flies off on its own once the move is finished.

Down Special: Red Bomb: - Wario's Woods (Toad's only starring role) -
Toad pulls a huge red bomb from his hat and kicks it in an arc. (works very similar to Mega Man's Hyper Bomb).

Burruni

Smash Hero
@ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad Do you still want Toad/think he has a shot in the future or have you completely shifted to Captain Toad?
Personally, after thinking on it, I think Toad should still be considered instead of Captain Toad. For two reasons.

- One, him technically not being Toad means he's...technically a lot less important. I feel like that's a major point in Toad's favor and it would mean more to see him finally make the cut.

- Two, the "Captain" persona kinda limits his moveset. I like the idea of Toad representing Mario spin-offs and power-ups in his moveset and that gives him a ton of potential - Captain's moveset would be based on one game. That would be a bit of a let down considering what Toad can technically do.

Here's my idea of his special moves based on different games and spin-off series.

Neutral Special: Party Block: - Mario Party Series -
Toad creates a numbered Dice Block above his head and hits it with his head with a second input. Then, Toad lays a series of Red Space traps on the ground depending on the number he rolls.

Side Special: Mario Kart: - Mario Kart Series -
Toad hops in a Mario Kart and rides around in it. Similar to Wario's Bike but instead of doing a wheelie he jumps. If you do a Smash input when starting this move, Toad gets on a bike instead of a Kart, which goes faster and farther but can't be controlled.

Up Special: Propeller Helmet: - New Super Mario Bros. Series -
Toad dons a Propeller Helmet and flies far upward. The propeller rapidly damages anyone who gets caught in it and flies off on its own once the move is finished.

Down Special: Red Bomb: - Wario's Woods (Toad's only starring role) -
Toad pulls a huge red bomb from his hat and kicks it in an arc. (works very similar to Mega Man's Hyper Bomb).
1) So, you're copying :4bowserjr:'s Side B but with the Smash input of a super missile.

2) If anyone's getting moves drawn from the Spin-Off games like Party, I feel like it should be focused for someone who's famous in spite of being bound to them.... Oh... who could it possibly be...

OH I KNOW!

But seriously, I've thought a good idea for one of Toad's specials would be plucking a Mega Turnip, first in the Advance version of Super Mario USA and brought back for Treasure Tracker, which would function more like the removed Bonsly pokemon than the turnips that :4peach: Plucks, being a sluggish threat of a projectile. Just... not to the extreme weight or power of Bonsly.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

There are tons more who deserve it than Tingle. I'm just wanting to know why the **** people want Tingle in other than him being a wtf, random, and recurring character to the series? He doesn't belong in it at all other than background and AT
How about Yes, Tingle is going to visit you in your sleep, snuggle up to you with his butt in your face, and throw glitter all over the sheets. Your mom will come into the room and see two people in the covers with a string rising upwards, out of the tangle of cloth and bodies, ending in a red balloon.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
1) So, you're copying :4bowserjr:'s Side B but with the Smash input of a super missile.

2) If anyone's getting moves drawn from the Spin-Off games like Party, I feel like it should be focused for someone who's famous in spite of being bound to them.... Oh... who could it possibly be...

OH I KNOW!

But seriously, I've thought a good idea for one of Toad's specials would be plucking a Mega Turnip, first in the Advance version of Super Mario USA and brought back for Treasure Tracker, which would function more like the removed Bonsly pokemon than the turnips that :4peach: Plucks, being a sluggish threat of a projectile. Just... not to the extreme weight or power of Bonsly.
1. Um, sure, I guess?

2. Waluigi is only famous for being a meme. I don't think he should ever be playable with his current standing. Besides that Toad is basically the go-to filler character and much more important than Waluigi, so...

Troykv

Smash Master
Only look the New Poll... even some frontrunners has a lot of negative votes, only the Brawl no-Pokémon Veteran, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Inkling and other few ones has mostly positive votes

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
How did you guys find out the last DLC update was coming? I only knew when my WiiU started blinking at me. Do we have any idea when there'll be another?

Burruni

Smash Hero
How did you guys find out the last DLC update was coming? I only knew when my WiiU started blinking at me. Do we have any idea when there'll be another?
They come out Bimonthly, near the start of the month.
April 1st, July 6th, August...11th?
The next will be with the ballot closing, on October 3rd, most likely.

D

Deleted member

2. Waluigi is only famous for being a meme. I don't think he should ever be playable with his current standing. Besides that Toad is basically the go-to filler character and much more important than Waluigi, so...
Um...okay. Sure.
In that case, so is Daisy, who's been in the series for longer and actually did appear in a platformer (and is more popular)
Should she get the shaft over Waluigi?
You're just trying to start a fight with me, aren't you?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I will always want Toad, but the Captain probably has more a standardized moveset that people won't complain about. Plus I really like the pickaxe item. Like a lot.

Whenever I bring up stuff from Wario's Woods it's deemed too obscure, or when I've used things like Mario Kart or 3D World they're not deemed 'Toad' enough. Likewise when I discussed an item house based moveset people said it was too off the wall to use the Toad House minigames as a basis for a moveset. Ironically when it comes to the spinoff characters that's seemingly fine to use random ****, but if I try and pull any power ups Toad actually uses in the platformers it's frowned upon.

Basically people are unpleasable if they disagree with the notion of a character they personally don't like getting into Smash. Even if that character has more star power than half the cast on the roster of current.

Which Toad clearly does. He's a household name, recognised world wide, merchandise up the wazoo and the Captain's Wii U game has sold pretty well it seems and has been considered a very good game overall.

I've been supporting Toad for the past 14 years, and although I like Waluigi and Daisy just fine, Toad should of frankly been the next logical inclusion after Wario for Mario related characters. The little guy isn't a nobody, but a lot of people treat him like one partially due to Sakurai's relegation of the character to a hapless punch bag meat shield.

If it sounds like I'm ranting, I am; imagine for a moment if one of your most wanted got this treatment, you'd all be ****ing pissed too.
Imagine for a second if K. Rool was a projectile that DK would pull out and punch in the face to launch at people since Melee. Yes it's a ludicrous notion, but the same ooc notion the all caring Princess Peach pushing her subjects in harms way is and makes the character seem like a laughing stock in the exact same way.

But **** it; we don't want to alienate those poor Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 Peach players in the next game who may have a brain hemmerage if the Toad counter got reskinned to the more accurate guardian of Toadsworth, or say something a bit different with Perry or Anger Point being her counter after all. Best just continue to relegate one of the biggest Nintendo names not playable in the game to a glorified Sandbag.

/rant
Okay I feel better now.

Yes I still want a playable Toad, no I'm not super picky between kickass waistcoat classic Toad and pickaxe headlamp donning Captain Toad, but this series treatment of Toad and general public apathy towards the character(s) doesn't give me high hopes for a future where he actually becomes playable in any form instead of one of the worst counters in the game.

Last edited:

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
Toad isn't a single character though, it's a species, a species with many different representatives across lots of games. There's no definitive Toad personality, and certainly no fighting style associated with them. I'd much rather have, say, Goombella or Vyvian from Paper Mario, to bring a point of difference.

You'll never please everyone, of course. Personally I'd far rather almost any obscure Nintendo character to any 3rd party inclusion, but lots of people feel otherwise and that's ok. I do hope that the developers go down the route of what they feel they can make work well, rather than just what's most popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom