• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm genuinely surprised that you shot down Ashley over Vaati. :surprised: I would have figured you would be in the camp to argue "darkness and wind =/= paranormal", but it reasonably makes sense if our definition of paranormal extends out towards anything eldritch.

That said, I've never been a real advocator for Ashley, but I sensibly thought that if she ever were to be a character, the whole witch-magic angle would be a more paranormal take on all of the magic-users in Smash. The idea of Ashley not being paranormal herself so much as being the lightningrod for everything paranormal around her, you know?
Vaati's lucky he's got an eldritch state of being available. :troll:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You're actually on to something.
Not Gengar specifically, because Gengar would be a random addition for Smash at this point in time, but having a spectral fighter.

A fighter whose very fighting style can be described simply as "paranormal activity". You can't tell what's going to happen or when it's going to happen, and once it does, you cannot explain it.

Kind of like how I'm struggling to put the concept that's in my head into words. :p

I guess in a way, think Master Core but on a much smaller scale.
I'm a little late to this but the kind of playstyle I feel that you would want would be best suited for this guy:

This is the Geist form of John Raimi, the protagonist of... Geist.

If you've never played the game, John Raimi gets his spirit separated from his body, more or less, and is forced to utilize the living beings around him to engage in combat (or stealth). He does so through the process of possession which could make an interesting feature for a Smash character.

In other words, this game was all about using the people and animals around you to complete your objectives. And, yes, Geist is, in fact, owned by Nintendo.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm a little late to this but the kind of playstyle I feel that you would want would be best suited for this guy:

If you've never played the game, John Raimi gets his spirit separated from his body, more or less, and is forced to utilize the living beings around him to engage in combat (or stealth). He does so through the process of possession which could make an interesting feature for a Smash character.

In other words, this game was all about using the people and animals around you to complete your objectives. And, yes, Geist is, in fact, owned by Nintendo.
The idea isn't bad. I'm pretty sure he's a Nintendo character (published by Nintendo so I don't really know). A spectral Smash fighter would be pretty awesome. I don't think possession would be fair in Smash though (you could literally just make your opponent jump off the stage lol).

D

Deleted member

Raimi would be perfect for the idea (I've played Geist).
Problem is, he's from a decade old game never released in Japan that wasn't much of a success and isn't well known.
So even though he's the most qualified option, he's also the least likely. Which is saddening.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here it is. It's locked...

29 posts, how depressing. At least I happened to be two of those way back when it was still up.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Everyone's talking about playable ghosts while I'm just siting here thinking about how sweet it is to get a playable Fatal Frame character. Then there's the problem of the character being too realistic or dark for Smash representation.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Everyone's talking about playable ghosts while I'm just siting here thinking about how sweet it is to get a playable Fatal Frame character. Then there's the problem of the character being too realistic or dark for Smash representation.
Well there happens to be a Fatal Frame trophy in Smash Wii U, (I think there's also one on the 3DS?) so its not like they couldn't have the idea of including a character from that franchise or acknowledging it (Besides, we've already had a rated M franchise in Smash Bros :snake:). However, I do wonder how a moveset could work. I have no knowledge on the franchise, so if someone could give an idea on how it is, that would be great.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Then there's the problem of the character being too realistic or dark for Smash representation.
Which is a total bull**** problem.
Well there happens to be a Fatal Frame trophy in Smash Wii U, (I think there's also one on the 3DS?) so its not like they couldn't have the idea of including a character from that franchise or acknowledging it (Besides, we've already had a rated M franchise in Smash Bros :snake:). However, I do wonder how a moveset could work. I have no knowledge on the franchise, so if someone could give an idea on how it is, that would be great.
I could see a character from FF working similarly to how Frank West did in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

He was able to snap pictures to level himself up. Maybe in smash a FF character could use it to attack and/or summon ghosts. (Yes, I am aware that's not how the Camera Obscura works. :p)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
One fan in particular made a well done moveset for the character Yuuri from the upcoming game and it's pretty impressive. Her main gimmick is using a gear that changes the properties of how her Camera Obscura works, complete with the Capture Circle to indicate where a clean hit would occur. And kind of like MvC2 Jill, the apparitions from the older games would appear in certain attacks to possess or even lunge at the fighters. As a fan of the series myself, this is actually of the best ideas of a playstyle for any character from the series.

http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuri_(Smash_5)

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
One fan in particular made a well done moveset for the character Yuuri from the upcoming game and it's pretty impressive. Her main gimmick is using a gear that changes the properties of how her Camera Obscura works, complete with the Capture Circle to indicate where a clean hit would occur. And kind of like MvC2 Jill, the apparitions from the older games would appear in certain attacks to possess or even lunge at the fighters. As a fan of the series myself, this is actually of the best ideas of a playstyle for any character from the series.

http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuri_(Smash_5)
Hmm, I like what I see here. I could see a SLIGHT chance of a Fatal Frame character being considered for Smash 5. Shame to, because this seems like a creative moveset that's right up Sakurai's alley. If only ballot support was enough compared to others...

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
Is it ok to talk about characters that have like -negative 1*10^99 absolute 0% chance of making it in to smash? I mean talking about them as a fighter e.g. movesets. We could get some creative ideas, though it wouldn't be too useful.

Just an idea for fun. Of course it would stick to fictitious characters.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Is it ok to talk about characters that have like -negative 1*10^99 absolute 0% chance of making it in to smash? I mean talking about them as a fighter e.g. movesets. We could get some creative ideas, though it wouldn't be too useful.

Whether a character is absolute 0% is subjective methinks

But eh, if to waste time, sure.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

As long as they're not ineligible (Goku, Shrek, Optimus Prime, etc.)

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Reminder, I'm still working on the data. I'll let you guys know when I'm finished collecting the data.

Speaking of random Pokemon... I've noticed that some people say that Grovyle is not random because of his role in PMD... by that logic all other Pokemon with imporant roles on PMD series (ex. Dusknoir, Wigglytuff, Gengar, Gardevoir) aren't random either.

EDIT: But I'm not saying that those examples are random either (well, at least Gengar isn't imo).

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's really hoping that the Inklings don't take away Isaac's spot in the Ballot. I would be really ticked off if that were to happen because this is pretty much Isaac's last chance of getting in Smash and Inklings are already a shoe in for the next Smash Bros game. They really don't need a DLC spot in this game.

Muah

Smash Rookie
It is nothing too bad. It's just that YouTube celebrities would rarely show their face here unless they are named Shokio or Toadster.
Please don't refer to me as a "YouTube Celebrities" I just hate that & I recently joined the site nothing wrong with that :3

Troykv

Smash Master
lol how did Charizard not win? Eh, I guess. But still for a spectral fighter, I would rather have other characters (John Raimi).
Probably they doesn't show the characters that have already "spot" in the original game (don't put Charizard in Pokken would be a crime against humanity.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom