• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You missed the point. Look at all the third party content, including the Mii Fighter costumes. They are all from Sega, Capcom and Namco. Nintendo would not go out of their way to get specific rights to Llyod or Virtual Fighter for a $1 costume. It would not be worth it. We can thus surmise that Nintendo has access to a lot of content from these publishers outside of the specific series in Smash. Nintendo does not have rights to use Konami characters or Snake so they would have to go out and do that just to add Snake for Smash as a DLC fighter. Its a lot more work than is needed for extra content.
Unless you know, there's high enough demand to add Snake. Which there appears to be based on numerous polls.

Again, you missed the point. Shulk is the protagonist of his series, one which sparked quite a big campaign to be brought over to the States. The game went on to sell the best in the US, despite a limited release, and led to a sequel. Within his own series, Shulk is very important and he is well known to those who played his games. E Gadd is small part of a larger series. To compare, the equivalent would be asking for Riki over Shulk. Also, Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are very important in the series they are from. If you've played a Mario game since 2007, you have likely seen both of them.
Well if Toad is so special, why did Rosalina and Jr. beat him out? Why couldn't E.Gadd do the same?

Riki over Shulk is like E.Gadd over Toad? Yeah right. That's not a good comparison. If I were asking for E.Gadd over Mario, sure. But it's Toad. Toad has already been looked past for other Mario characters anyway. Not to mention comparing Xenoblade to Mario is bad in the first place because of how drastically different the two franchises are.

From what you're saying, even if Toad has the lamest moveset imaginable and E.Gadd has something great, Toad should be added? That's stupid.

The movement to bring those games stateside was great...yet the campaign doesn't suddenly mean everybody knows who Shulk is. He's still a relatively obscure character. As you said, he's well known to those who have played his game...obviously. Those who haven't wouldn't know him.

The problem is you see trees, not forest. As a result, you missed the underlying concept. The concept is this:
1)Third parties are not easy to get since you need to negotiate, and likely pay, to be able to use that character (duh. I know that, but thanks for insulting me. doesn't make your point any stronger)
2)While uniqueness is not unimportaint, it is not more important than recognition and can not be used in lieu of it. (would Rosalina and Jr. over Toad not prove this wrong? Or are those two, as important as they are, more iconic than Toad? importance does not equate to recognition)

What you pointed out were instances where those do not see to be the case at first glace. At first glace, Nintendo has to get the rights to Street Fighter. But when you notice the Mii Fighter costumes which are from numerous third party series, you'll see that it actually support my point. Ryu was added because Nintendo could get the rights to Capcom character far easier than other publishers. Shulk seems like he contradicts my point until you realize that Shulk is incredibly importation in his own series.
Would a large group of trees not BE a forest?

With 3rd parties, there will always be contractual obligations. It's clear that there were deals made to have plenty of content from the companies. However, none of that matters with my point. There is simply zero evidence that they wouldn't add another 3rd party. Zero. They've even said the Ballot is open to any video game character who meets the criteria.
The series itself is hardly recognizable to people who didn't support the localization project or followed it.
Its also why Sakurai could add both Robin and Lucina since they are major players in the Fire Emblem franchise (with Awakening being the best selling game in the series). Uniqueness matters which is why those two beat out Chrom (although he was considered), but recognition is why they used characters from Awakening in the first place.

To further emphasize the last point, a character needs to be unique, but also recognizable. The reason I criticized your original point is you were doing the same thing you criticized, just from a different perspective. Sakurai is naturally discriminatory with characters which is how he maintains a strong quality in the roster. Yes, we do play with the characters which is why they should be unique, but fans do not want to play with C tier characters because they are more "unique" than the characters we want.
Here's the thing with C Tier characters. Who else is left who could arguably be considered an A- B tier character?
We're at the point where there's maybe one or two Wario level characters left. K.Rool is a popular pick to the Smash fans, as are Isaac and others. Nobody needs to meet the level of Mario...unless you're a 3rd party character. You can't hold 3rd parties to the same standards as a 1st party, mainly because of Sakurai's own words on the icon status of a 3rd party has to be. For another 3rd party character to get added, they have to have that. Snake or Rayman meet that. Sakurai wouldn't have added Snake in the first place if he didn't feel he met that requirement.[/quote]

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Ice Climbers were cut late in development. Sakurai has gone on record to say that it was the 3DS version holding them back, and has said there were no issues with them running on the Wii U version.
Then what do you make of the statement on 8-player Smash?

Ice Climbers running properly could very well be referring to normal 4 player matches.

which is completely ignoring how **** like Ridley won't appear with 5 players at the very least
You don't need to be that aggressive, you know.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Then what do you make of the statement on 8-player Smash?

Ice Climbers running properly could very well be referring to normal 4 player matches.
The "flashy" stages are the ones that hinder 8 player smash. Its not exclusive to the Ice Climbers. Maybe they did have some difficulties with 8 player Smash on certain stages, but again this would apply to stages with a lot going on. More simplistic stages could have been capable of supporting 16 Icies at once.

I haven't seen anything stating 8 player Smash was a last second addition to the Wii U version, which would mean that at one point the Ice Climbers were tested in the game mode. Again Sakurai has stated it wasn't the Wii U version that held them back. Sakurai has went into explicit reasons as to why they were cut, and only stated it was because of the 3DS

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The "flashy" stages are the ones that hinder 8 player smash. Its not exclusive to the Ice Climbers. Maybe they did have some difficulties with 8 player Smash on certain stages, but again this would apply to stages with a lot going on. More simplistic stages could have been capable of supporting 16 Icies at once.

I haven't seen anything stating 8 player Smash was a last second addition to the Wii U version, which would mean that at one point the Ice Climbers were tested in the game mode. Again Sakurai has stated it wasn't the Wii U version that held them back.
Was 8 player smash revealed when Sakurai was talking about IC? Did Sakurai simply want both versions having the exact same characters?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
8-Player Smash isn't the reason IVs was ever held back.

For God sakes, they had 6 ICs working in Melee which had a debug mode where you can have 6 players there. On the GameCube, nonetheless.

The only thing holding them back was the 3DS version and will forever be the 3DS version.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Was 8 player smash revealed when Sakurai was talking about IC? Did Sakurai simply want both versions having the exact same characters?
Sakurai said he wanted both versions to have the same characters. Thats basically the extent of it. Simplifying a character on one version would still keep this integrity. (Such as having only one Ice Climber). However, its likely Sakurai wanted to keep both games playing identically, so thats why he didn't opt out for this choice, as it would change how the Icies played between versions. Limiting the amount of Ice Climbers that can be selected at once does not change how the character is played.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I haven't seen anything stating 8 player Smash was a last second addition to the Wii U version, which would mean that at one point the Ice Climbers were tested in the game mode. Again Sakurai has stated it wasn't the Wii U version that held them back. Sakurai has went into explicit reasons as to why they were cut, and only stated it was because of the 3DS
I didn't say anything about it being a last second addition.
Here's the article though: http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...ayer-smash-originally-planned-for-melee-more/
“It was a thing I considered when thinking about the follow-up for the first Smash,” Sakurai noted. Sadly, “it was more than impossible” based on technical performance. This time around, it was “achieved just barely. In 8-Player Smash, the stage selection is limited, stage gimmics are changed [no bosses for example] and so on.”
Based on this, I thinking it may have played a part.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sakurai said he wanted both versions to have the same characters. Thats basically the extent of it. Simplifying a character on one version would still keep this integrity. (Such as having only one Ice Climber). However, its likely Sakurai wants to keep their game play identical, so thats why he didn't opt out for this choice. Limiting the amount of Ice Climbers that can be selected at once does not change how the character is played.
Sakurai only chose IC because of their gimmick. If Sakurai couldn't be arsed to change Ganondorf, why would he be arsed for IC? And about your limitation idea AGAIN...SAKURAI REMOVED THEM FROM THE WII U VERSION BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT 3DS USERS TO FEEL RIPPED OFF. WHY WOULD IT CHANGE WHEN YOU MAKE ARBITRARY LIMITS TO HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN PLAY?

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Sakurai only chose IC because of their gimmick. If Sakurai couldn't be arsed to change Ganondorf, why would he be arsed for IC? And about your limitation idea AGAIN...SAKURAI REMOVED THEM FROM THE WII U VERSION BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT 3DS USERS TO FEEL RIPPED OFF. WHY WOULD IT CHANGE WHEN YOU MAKE ARBITRARY LIMITS TO HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN PLAY?
If 3DS users feel ripped off because they can only select 3 Ice Climbers at once, shouldn't they feel even more ripped off that they can play as 8 at once in the Wii U version. You are already "ripped" off by 4 less players for the 3DS version, why would 5 less make them feel any worse?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If 3DS users feel ripped off because they can only select 3 Ice Climbers at once, shouldn't they feel even more ripped off that they can play as 8 at once in the Wii U version. You are already "ripped" off by 4 less players for the 3DS version, why would 5 less make them feel any worse?
Because he's the thing. IC WOULD BE THE ONLY CHARACTER WITH SUCH LIMITATIONS! How do you not understand this? Tell me

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Because he's the thing. IC WOULD BE THE ONLY CHARACTER WITH SUCH LIMITATIONS! How do you not understand this? Tell me
Again, why does this limitation matter? I'm sure anyone who wants to play the Ice Climbers would rather take them with full functionality and limited to 3 selected at once. If they want the full "4 player" experience, they can just play the Wii U version, which already provides more characters at once anyways.

Also to make this parallel, only certain stages are playable in 8 player Smash. Sakurai choose to limit how many maps could be chosen, because he knew players would rather have the mode available with less choices, then not have it at all.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Again, why does this limitation matter? I'm sure anyone who wants to play the Ice Climbers would rather take them with full functionality and limited to 3 selected at once. If they want the full "4 player" experience, they can just play the Wii U version, which already provides more characters at once anyways.

Also to make this parallel, only certain stages are playable in 8 player Smash. Sakurai choose to limit how many maps could be chosen, because he knew players would rather have the mode available with less choices, then not have it at all.
If I have a game that can be played with 4 players, I expect to be able to play with 4 players.
'just go to the Wii U version' HOW RICH. Smash 3DS sold much better and is the best selling Smash game. Limiting the majority is a nono

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
'Just play the Wii U version' isn't as simple as you make it sound. The 3DS outsells (and has always been outselling) the Wii U. Plus Japan much prefers handhelds over consoles, unlike the rest of the markets. Such a decision simply won't go over well. And Sakurai is a man who'd do something perfectly or not at all.

It's pretty much saying "Let them eat cake."

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
OK, so the fact that you played quote soup instead of taking in the entire point tells me you don't see the forest for the trees. You don't see the big picture, just small instances. I don't have the time to go over each thing, so I want to address the things I think are the most relevant.

• The issue with Snake is that Konami, and not Nintendo or the other comapnies Nintendo contracted with for this game. See here
  • You said "Well if Toad is so special, why did Rosalina and Jr. beat him out? Why couldn't E.Gadd do the same?" This is a reverse slippery slope. You and I both know Rosalina, Bowser Jr, and Toad are far more prominent characters.
  • I'm not insulting you and I'm not sure how you could infer my statement as such. The statement is simply the crux of my argument, my assessment. Your points will always be challenged in any discussion. My advise: grow a thicker skin.
  • Not sure if sarcastic, but "Seeing the forest for the trees," means you don't see the big picture.
  • The ballot being open to any character does not mean they'll add any character. The absents of evidence is not the evidence of absents. See above for reasons why they won't add other third party characters (at least those outside of Namco, Capcom and Sega).
The fact that you used red text to respond to the point tells me you don't have a reason for arguing outside of trying to disprove my specific point. Let's say you totally debunked my points. What did you accomplish? What case are you trying to build. Without on, all your doing is saying specific things are incorrect, not the premise. In the end, you get nowhere. The reason I posted those two things is because you should have argued those providing an anti-thesis. You could have brought up new points like I did, but because you have no reason, all you can do is try to break down my assessment for my support. Again, the reason you attack my point is so that you can build up yours, but without one, you go nowhere.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
'Just play the Wii U version' isn't as simple as you make it sound. The 3DS outsells (and has always been outselling) the Wii U. Plus Japan much prefers handhelds over consoles, unlike the rest of the markets. Such a decision simply won't go over well.

Again the "just play the Wii U version" only applies if you are upset about how many characters can be selected at once. My argument is that they should limit how many Ice Climbers can be selected at once from 4 to 3 for the 3DS version. Sales have nothing to do with this because the 3DS version is already limited to less players than the Wii U version. So one less is nowhere near as bad as 4 less, which has already been implemented.

And as I've stated with the 8 player mode, Sakurai chose to limit how many stages could be selected and still over 8 player smash, then not offer it. So the statement that "Sakurai would rather do something perfect or not do it at all" is not true.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Again the "just play the Wii U version" only applies if you are upset about how many characters can be selected at once. My argument is that they should limit how many Ice Climbers can be selected at once from 4 to 3 for the 3DS version. Sales have nothing to do with this because the 3DS version is already limited to less players than the Wii U version. So one less is nowhere near as bad as 4 less, which has already been implemented.
Why limit it even further though? Why make this 1 character only have 3 at a time? Not to mention it could have arguments 'Hey, I want to play as IC now, stop playing as them!' 'No, we want to keep playing'. If IC are popular enough as people claim, then lots of people would buy them. Meaning lots of people would be affected by the limitations

D

Deleted member

So........Urban Champion........anyone?

At least a Mii costume of him would be nice.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Again, this comes down to Sakurai's design principles now. While you would prefer to have a compromise like that, Sakurai would rather omit it to be done in the next game than put restrictions like this. He wanted the game to be fair to all. There's nothing you or I can do about that.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Again, this comes down to Sakurai's design principles now. While you would prefer to have a compromise like that, Sakurai would rather omit it to be done in the nest game than put restrictions like this. He wanted the game to be fair to all. There's nothing you or I can do about that.
As I've stated with the 8 player mode, Sakurai chose to limit how many stages could be selected and still offer 8 player smash, rather than not offer it. So the statement that "Sakurai would rather do something perfect or not do it at all" is not true.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Eigh player Smash is an extra feature; 4 player free-for-alls are the main mode of Smash Bros. They're just sacrificing that JUST so three people can play a character at once.
As I've stated with the 8 player mode, Sakurai chose to limit how many stages could be selected and still offer 8 player smash, rather than not offer it. So the statement that "Sakurai would rather do something perfect or not do it at all" is not true.
Again, eight player Smash limits the stages, but not the characters. And the characters are vastly more important than stages.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Remember when extra stages were added to 8 player smash in a patch? Fun times

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
'Just play the Wii U version' isn't as simple as you make it sound. The 3DS outsells (and has always been outselling) the Wii U. Plus Japan much prefers handhelds over consoles, unlike the rest of the markets. Such a decision simply won't go over well. And Sakurai is a man who'd do something perfectly or not at all.

But the cake is a lie!!!

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
\
Again, eight player Smash limits the stages, but not the characters. And the characters are vastly more important than stages.
But compared to the 3DS version, you can already select more characters at once on the Wii U version. Why would anyone be upset if you could only have 3 ice climbers at once? These are different arguments.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But compared to the 3DS version, you can already select more characters at once on the Wii U version. Why would anyone be upset if you could only have 3 ice climbers at once? These are different arguments.
Because the ****ing game can be played with 4 players and if 4 people want to play IC at once they can go **** themselves according to your logic. It's like if Capcom released a patch to lock up more fighters as ondisk DLC, surely, taking away stuff isn't bad then if you do it multiple times?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Because what if the fourth person wanted to pick the Ice Climbers?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Because 8player Smash isn't an important mode. 4 player is not only important, but a standard.
People would be upset because every other Smash game lets you play with 4 people at once, no matter what.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why would anyone be upset if you could only have 3 ice climbers at once? These are different arguments.
Plenty would. I'm pretty sure the majority of the 3DS owners would have.

You have to look the full picture. If Sakurai were to offer ICs on both 3DS and Wii U, with the 3DS restricted, it would obviously appear that the 3DS owners are getting the short-end of the stick, despite forming a larger portion of the fanbase. You decide whether they would want that.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Because the ****ing game can be played with 4 players and if 4 people want to play IC at once they can go **** themselves according to your logic. It's like if Capcom released a patch to lock up more fighters as ondisk DLC, surely, taking away stuff isn't bad then if you do it multiple times?
Because what if the fourth person wanted to pick the Ice Climbers?
Because 8player Smash isn't an important mode. 4 player is not only important, but a standard.
People would be upset because every other Smash game lets you play with 4 people at once, no matter what.
How many times do all 4 players play as the same character though? Honestly, out of all the smash games you've played over time, how many pick the exact same fighter? I'd probably say around 1% for me, and I've been playing with my friends almost daily since the original game. This game isn't fox only, and its much more diverse than its ever been. Even Nintendo tried to limit each fighter to only one player when they took a try at the tournament scene at E3 2014. If it came down to giving players a new demanded fighter (and make money) they would do it, over hindering a match up that happens around 1% of the time. You can still have a 4th player in this case, just all can't pick Ice Climbers at once. Its a much better solution than allowing only one Ice Climber in the 3DS version, thus changing the gameplay and gimmick completely.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
OK, so the fact that you played quote soup instead of taking in the entire point tells me you don't see the forest for the trees. You don't see the big picture, just small instances. I don't have the time to go over each thing, so I want to address the things I think are the most relevant.

• The issue with Snake is that Konami, and not Nintendo or the other comapnies Nintendo contracted with for this game. See here
  • You said "Well if Toad is so special, why did Rosalina and Jr. beat him out? Why couldn't E.Gadd do the same?" This is a reverse slippery slope. You and I both know Rosalina, Bowser Jr, and Toad are far more prominent characters.
  • I'm not insulting you and I'm not sure how you could infer my statement as such. The statement is simply the crux of my argument, my assessment. Your points will always be challenged in any discussion. My advise: grow a thicker skin.
  • Not sure if sarcastic, but "Seeing the forest for the trees," means you don't see the big picture.
  • The ballot being open to any character does not mean they'll add any character. The absents of evidence is not the evidence of absents. See above for reasons why they won't add other third party characters (at least those outside of Namco, Capcom and Sega).
The fact that you used red text to respond to the point tells me you don't have a reason for arguing outside of trying to disprove my specific point. Let's say you totally debunked my points. What did you accomplish? What case are you trying to build. Without on, all your doing is saying specific things are incorrect, not the premise. In the end, you get nowhere. The reason I posted those two things is because you should have argued those providing an anti-thesis. You could have brought up new points like I did, but because you have no reason, all you can do is try to break down my assessment for my support. Again, the reason you attack my point is so that you can build up yours, but without one, you go nowhere.
Why would I reply to several points in a single paragraph? I chose that format. Doesn't mean anything aside from me picking that format. It's not like you only made one point in your response.

My point still stands. Sure, we can argue that Toad would be added over E.Gadd, but that was the literal same exact thing everybody said before Smash 4 came out. Nobody expected Jr., Rosalina or even Doc to get in before Toad, yet they did. With that in mind, how can we so easily say E.Gadd is an obvious passover? Is he the same level as the others? No. Does that mean he's got no chance and wouldn't be picked over Toad? Not necessarily.

My skin is plenty thick. Maybe I took it the wrong way. However with this reply, i'm sensing a wee bit of hostility. But whatever, it's irrelevant. Yes, it was sarcastic.

That last part...I don't quite understand. There is literally nothing saying another 3rd party wouldn't be added. Sakurai got Snake already in Brawl. He's not going to be against getting another one for some mysterious reason. If there's reward in adding a character, I would think he'd do it. It doesn't mean Shrek or Goku would happen, but I don't think Snake or Rayman are out of the question as far as 3rd parties are concerned.

In general, we debate and discuss to rival or comment on the other person's idea. We disagree and we share our thoughts. In your assessment of me "breaking down" your post, I did that because I DO think there are holes. I replied with points in regards to your last post, and you didn't respond to them. I still disagree that Riki:Shulk is a bad comparison to E.Gadd:Toad for a number of reasons. I still think there are some contradictions in your post.

My original point on top of all of this, was that gameplay is important (never said others weren't important btw) and it SHOULD be the most important to people. Gameplay is what makes this game fun to play and talk about at the end of the day, right? Most of what else everybody brings up is a bunch of crap that they only care about because of their own character. To me, that's boring. According to quite a few people, that's boring.

I don't care what games Toad has been in. I know he's a reoccurring Mario character. Frankly, I don't care what games E.Gadd has been in. I just want to know what they can do. If we're going to refer to general powerups as part of Toad's repertoire...that sounds boring. Almost like the ideas people have for Jumpman. Captain Toad might be a cool idea too, and that doesn't mean E.Gadd is a bad one. I just happen to like the idea of E.Gadd better than Toad on a gameplay train of thought.

I would dare say that this debate is over, mainly because you've disregarded my point as in essence, "not having one". That's fine. That's a shame though. I would never take a point and say it has no merit. I think about what makes somebody think something and then understand said point. The points that I countered in your post were ones that I flat out think aren't good ones. But that's all a part of what a debate is in general.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How many times do all 4 players play as the same character though? Honestly, out of all the smash games you've played over time, how many pick the exact same fighter? I'd probably say around 1% for me, and I've been playing with my friends almost daily since the original game. This game isn't fox only, and its much more diverse than its ever been. Even Nintendo tried to limit each fighter to only one play when they took a try at the tournament scene at E3 2014. You can still have a 4th player in this case, just all can't pick Ice Climbers at once. Its a much better solution than allowing only one Ice Climber in the 3DS version, thus changing the gameplay and gimmick completely.
When a new DLC character is released, this happens a lot. Even then, why are you thinking 'Yes, how about you **** on the people who made you the most money because I want muh husbando and waifu back'? Think. Of. Everyone

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How many times do all 4 players play as the same character though? Honestly, out of all the smash games you've played over time, how many pick the exact same fighter? I'd probably say around 1% for me, and I've been playing with my friends almost daily since the original game. This game isn't fox only, and its much more diverse than its ever been. Even Nintendo tried to limit each fighter to only one play when they took a try at the tournament scene at E3 2014. You can still have a 4th player in this case, just all can't pick Ice Climbers at once. Its a much better solution than allowing only one Ice Climber in the 3DS version, thus changing the gameplay and gimmick completely.
That's a bad argument. As an example, just because most users don't use MS Paint doesn't mean Microsoft should stop adding it in future Windows versions. That would be stupid and generate bad press.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
When a new DLC character is released, this happens a lot. Even then, why are you thinking 'Yes, how about you **** on the people who made you the most money because I want muh husbando and waifu back'? Think. Of. Everyone
Usually the first thing people do is "Lets see how this character compares to other fighters. For example, a lot of people were excited to do a Mewtwo vs Lucario match when he got released. No one was hyped for a "4 Player free for all with only Mewtwos."

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Ice Climbers were some of my most wanted veterans only behind a few such as Dedede and Jigglypuff. I checked the PoTD every day for their return and some other things. I was massively dissapointed at their cut and kind of expected something like it to happen but feared it. I personally find it more unfair to not include them on the Wii U version than including them ( But i could kind of see why others would think overwise ), especially since the Wii U version doesn't have many differences from the 3DS version imo besides better visuals, controls and trophy studio ( I find 8 player Smash to be too messy ) . 3DS even got the better Classic mode.

Alternatives are still there but as mentioned on this thread Sakurai is usually a man who chooses to either do it perfectly or not at all so i don't see them likely as much as it pains me, but it's definetly not impossible. Infact i see them as the second most likely veterans behind Wolf. But that's really mostly because i don't find any of the others having much of a good chance.
They'll always remain my top pick however no matter how unlikely they are :popo:.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
How many times do all 4 players play as the same character though? Honestly, out of all the smash games you've played over time, how many pick the exact same fighter? I'd probably say around 1% for me, and I've been playing with my friends almost daily since the original game. This game isn't fox only, and its much more diverse than its ever been. Even Nintendo tried to limit each fighter to only one player when they took a try at the tournament scene at E3 2014. If it came down to giving players a new demanded fighter (and make money) they would do it, over hindering a match up that happens around 1% of the time. You can still have a 4th player in this case, just all can't pick Ice Climbers at once. Its a much better solution than allowing only one Ice Climber in the 3DS version, thus changing the gameplay and gimmick completely.
More than you think...do you know how fun it is to have a four way Ganondorf or Jigglypuff ditto match?...Ice Climbers would be just as fun because Inuit everywhere!!!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The point is, Nintendo isn't limiting one of the core features of their game for a single character. They aren't going to, and they didn't. It's as simple as that.
And FYI, plenty of people play 4-player matches with the same characters. You are vastly underestimating the amount of people who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom