• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
Maybe this is worth discussing?

https://twitter.com/LaytonSmash/status/635188962257190912

Chronology goes like this:

1. Almost a month ago the Layton fan twitter asked Layton's VA about Smash, since he appeared in IMDB.
2. VA denies it
3. Today, the VA on his own switches the old reply with a new one where he says he thinks that he did record lines for Smash
4. Apparently he said that to other user (or other Tweet of the Layton guy, not sure Edit: this is the case)
5. The VA Twitter was always private.

Possibilities:

a. He spilled the beans
b. He wants to **** with people
c. He is mistaken

I'm opting for c.

Since a long-standing VA should be used to NDAs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remember when it was believed Snake was confirmed because Reuben Langdon stated that he always wanted to voice Raiden and he got to do so in Smash?
Turns out he was mistaken and meant PSASBR.

I'm predicting a similar case with this Layton thing.

His updated response comes off as him assuming he's recorded lines for Smash based on extra pages in a recording session that he apparently didn't know what they were for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Maybe this is worth discussing?

https://twitter.com/LaytonSmash/status/635188962257190912

Chronology goes like this:

1. Almost a month ago the Layton fan twitter asked Layton's VA about Smash, since he appeared in IMDB.
2. VA denies it
3. Today, the VA on his own switches the old reply with a new one where he says he thinks that he did record lines for Smash
4. Apparently he said that to other user (or other Tweet of the Layton guy, not sure Edit: this is the case)
5. The VA Twitter was always private.

Possibilities:

a. He spilled the beans
b. He wants to **** with people
c. He is mistaken

I'm opting for c.

Since a long-standing VA should be used to NDAs.
His tone honestly sounds like hes joking. IMDB has cited everyone from Fifty Cent to Liam Neeson to God working on Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

To me, it seems like this is what happened:

Someone credits Chris Miller as Layton for Smash on IMDB
-> Layton fan Twitter points this out and asks if it's true
-> Chris Miller wasn't aware he was being credited for such and denies it, believing he hasn't done voice work for Smash
-> 1 month passes and Chris Miller remembers a recording session that had an extra page for recordings he didn't know for what they were for
-> Chris Miller recalls that he was credited on IMDB as Layton for Smash
-> Chris Miller assumes that extra page was for that
-> Chris Miller updates his response to reflect his new assumption

D

Deleted member

Could this be the begining of a brand new wild goose chase Leak?

Or maybe we are looking too much into this.

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
To me, it seems like this is what happened:

Someone credits Chris Miller as Layton for Smash on IMDB
-> Layton fan Twitter points this out and asks if it's true
-> Chris Miller wasn't aware he was being credited for such and denies it, believing he hasn't done voice work for Smash
-> 1 month passes and Chris Miller remembers a recording session that had an extra page for recordings he didn't know for what they were for
-> Chris Miller recalls that he was credited on IMDB as Layton for Smash
-> Chris Miller assumes that extra page was for that
-> Chris Miller updates his response to reflect his new assumption
I fully agree with your view.

However, shouldn't the lines for Smash be quite different from the usual Layton stuff? Pain grunts and the like maybe?

Should be easy to tell if the lines were actually for a fighting game and act accordingly (By not saying anithing of course.)

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe he wasn't actually doing Layton for that.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I would love Layton to be in Smash! Sadly his support is not as vocal or large compared to other fighters (He could be preballot, but very very unlikely)

:( :(

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kind of reminds me of Krystal's VA thing a while back.

Also reminds me of the Raiden VA slip up.

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
I would love Layton to be in Smash! Sadly his support is not as vocal or large compared to other fighters (He could be preballot, but very very unlikely)

:( :(
Well, Level-5 are currently huge in Japan and have many dealerships with Nintendo. Not saying we can expect him to be in, but honestly it wouldn't be surprising in the context of ownership.

All the 3rd parties in the game are owned by companies with meaty dealerships with Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Kind of reminds me of Krystal's VA thing a while back.

Also reminds me of the Raiden VA slip up.
You mean that one time in which Krystal's voice actress was confirmed to reprise her role for said character and everyone thought she was playable, only to be revealed that the recordings were just for the Smash Taunts in Lylat Cruise? I remember hearing about this in one of Chronobound's posts.

Also when did the Raiden voice thing happened?

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
You mean that one time in which Krystal's voice actress was confirmed to reprise her role for said character and everyone thought she was playable, only to be revealed that the recordings were just for the Smash Taunts in Lylat Cruise? I remember hearing about this in one of Chronobound's posts.

Raidens voice thing happened before the Smash direct in april last year. He said he played Raiden in Smash, but meant Raiden in PS All Stars.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

For Krystal: Yep.

For Raiden: Near last year's E3, we had Raiden voice actor saying he did work for Smash Bros. This caught everyone's attention and they all flipped the **** out with hype. Later he said he meant PSASBR.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
She made the initial claim to have done voicework for Zero Suit Samus, Knuckle Joe and Krystal. It was later updated/rewritten as Krystal's role had not been shown pre-release.

Miikon

Smash Cadet
Layton would be an interesting choice for a smash fighter, mainly because he doesn't seem like a brawler. But if Phoenix Wright can fight in MvC3, then Layton could possible work in a fighting setting too.
I do however believe the VA have misjudged something.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Layton would be an interesting choice for a smash fighter, mainly because he doesn't seem like a brawler. But if Phoenix Wright can fight in MvC3, then Layton could possible work in a fighting setting too.
I do however believe the VA have misjudged something.
But doesn't he use a sword (oh no...) at one point?

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
He does fence yes. I'd love Layton, but I'd be worried he'd fall into the Chrom territory of having nothing to offer as a basic sword fighter. He doesn't have magical abilities, so I'd worry for his moveset. He could use his hat and maybe bring Ema to help fight.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The problem keeping Ice Climbers from being back isn't fitting 8 working models on 3DS alongside ATs/Pokemon/stage hazards.

It's fitting 4 normal characters, along with 4 CPU fighters who must respond and work alongside their partner. Nana isn't a basic AI fighter, she has to wait for commands from Popo and still be capable of recovering / grabbing ledges / using items / throwing foes without input from Popo. Reducing polygons or framerate will not fix the problem that the 3DS can't handle Nana's AI without strain on the console. The 3DS (or even the New 3DS) is not capable of running Melee exactly as they were made, with a lot of sacrifices made to graphics, mechanics and overall content.

This is the same reason Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik were separated (as well as the Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle and Ivysaur getting the boot), the 3DS just can't handle it. It can't handle loading a new character mid-game, or loading a very different AI that still has player input.

Now, in my honest opinion, we will see Ice Climbers back in the next Smash Bros. title, assuming that whatever console they're developed on is capable of running GameCube games at their original form (I'm talking handhelds, but I hope that Wii U's successor is powerful enough for Icies. If not, Nintendo's got some skewed priorities in the console market. :p)

Now, let's get onto more... pressing news. Bandanna Waddle Dee is apparently Top 5 material in Japan, just behind K. Rool, Inklings and Wolf. Does anyone else see him as a definite possibility now? I'm not saying "WADDLE DEE CONFIRMED", but I'd like to see what people think, and get some discussion on how he'd play and be different from others.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Weird for Chris Miller to bring it up again but hey if Layton's in I know I'll play as him.

Miikon

Smash Cadet
Now, let's get onto more... pressing news. Bandanna Waddle Dee is apparently Top 5 material in Japan, just behind K. Rool, Inklings and Wolf. Does anyone else see him as a definite possibility now? I'm not saying "WADDLE DEE CONFIRMED", but I'd like to see what people think, and get some discussion on how he'd play and be different from others.
Smash works similar to Kirby platformers, in which Bandana/Waddle Dee has a moveset, so he/she/it is a plausibel option. The question is: Can he sell as DLC to people who aren't in favor of his/her/its inclusion?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Maybe they couldnt work on a tight development cycle, but they were already finished on both versions, and the development team has had nearly a year now to figure out a compromise to get them to work. They wouldn't throw something out with so much work put into them, without giving it another go.

Besides, if we can assume the two remaining preballot slots are both veterans, and Wolf is one of them. That leaves 6 possible choices for the spot. Ivysaur and Squirtle probably won't get in unless the other does. Young Link is replaced by Toon Link. Snake was cut for issues with Konami. Pichu is the only other realistic choice that could happen, but we just got a DLC Pokemon rep, so maybe, maybe not.

Ice Climbers are finished, just requiring tweaking to get to work. Again Sakurai said he tried his best during the main games release to get them to work, but that was under the pressure of a tight development frame, alongside 50 other characters. Theres a lot more freedom and less stress now.
I know this is dead and everything but yeah sakurai literally tried to cut gravity from the 3ds version of smash and couldn't get the ice climbers to work.I think it's safe to assume that there gone this time around

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
He does fence yes. I'd love Layton, but I'd be worried he'd fall into the Chrom territory of having nothing to offer as a basic sword fighter. He doesn't have magical abilities, so I'd worry for his moveset. He could use his hat and maybe bring Ema to help fight.

In fencing, there are a lot of defensive and counter strategies involved. Each of the players concentrate hard to strike the opponent’s target area without leaving themselves open to hitting.

This can translate to his being a more defensive character that has a variety of ways to counter the opponent. Layton is known to think and solve puzzles in as many ways as he can, so it certainly stays true to his character while keeping him interesting and making him stand out from other characters currently in the game. It’s something I definitely see happening if he’s planned since a fan did mention fencing to Sakurai in a gaming talk show. He is also known to be a skilled craftsman, from creating a slot machine gun, to a catapult, to a hang glider. This could be used for defensive strategies and to make his moveset stand-out more. I recommend going to the support thread to see more moveset ideas.

Copied and pasted from my article. He certain provides enough to make for a unique fighter.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

In fencing, there are a lot of defensive and counter strategies involved. Each of the players concentrate hard to strike the opponent’s target area without leaving themselves open to hitting.

This can translate to his being a more defensive character that has a variety of ways to counter the opponent. Layton is known to think and solve puzzles in as many ways as he can, so it certainly stays true to his character while keeping him interesting and making him stand out from other characters currently in the game. It’s something I definitely see happening if he’s planned since a fan did mention fencing to Sakurai in a gaming talk show. He is also known to be a skilled craftsman, from creating a slot machine gun, to a catapult, to a hang glider. This could be used for defensive strategies and to make his moveset stand-out more. I recommend going to the support thread to see more moveset ideas.

Copied and pasted from my article. He certain provides enough to make for a unique fighter.
I hope so, his gadgets could be fun, and Sakurai could maybe bring some of his logic puzzles into play somehow.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

Um... you do realize that Marth's entire play style is based around fencing, right? That's why he has the tipper.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Difference is that his playstyle involves more on the tipper, Layton would not focus on that aspect. Plus the way his fencer is used is different from that of using a blade. Plus, he has the use of his handcrafted tools that can be used as projectiles too, different from Marth. :p

How about this, think of it as non-tipper Marth with use of projectiles and many counters.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Why have Layton with a sword when he can have a Metal pipe? Heck, he fought with one twice in the series. Well, if people don't want him to be a swordfighter. He could be a piper instead.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Layton wouldn't be a bad choice for DLC, but I feel like his popularity has waned. If he gets in there has to be a Yoko Shimomura remix of one of his tracks. Just has to be.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
This goes against Sakurai's rules of conduct (Very important gaming icons) but who knows, maybe Nintendo went out and secretly purchased Level 5 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom