• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
How about one for you getting flagged or something for cursing in every post? Seriously are the mods sleeping? How do you get a pardon for this? Honestly, you have more than six offences, why isn't the law carried out to the full extent around here?
Appeals to Authority usually only get you so far. There is an "ignore" feature that is handy when self-control fails. I wouldn't worry so much about the other user lest the boomerang comes back to you. Remember: takes two to tango. The mods will bring the hammer when it's needed.

I feel like Snake's neck-breaking maneuver was more unsettling than any use of firearms...

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Appeals to Authority usually only get you so far. There is an "ignore" feature that is handy when self-control fails. I wouldn't worry so much about the other user lest the boomerang comes back to you. Remember: takes two to tango. The mods will bring the hammer when it's needed.

I feel like Snake's neck-breaking maneuver was more unsettling than any use of firearms...
Ignoring is the coward's way out to me. That's why I don't use it, however if someone gets snippy or meme happy, I'll just shut them down. Without cursing like a sailor, or blaming my place of origin for my use of language as a means of justification for my actions.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Please cut it out with the ad hominem.

Please.

This is a place to discuss characters.

Can we just leave the petty insults and naked vitriol at the door in future?

Pakky

Smash Hero

Please.

I'm not insulting anyone those were accounts of things that have actually happened however I see your point. And I apologize.

Has anyone seen my NiGHTS set or is NiGHTS too irrelevant.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Please.

This.
I'm reporting any such remarks from either party from this point on.
Also.

Ignoring is the coward's way out to me.
Ignoring is not a "coward's way out".
You can TehEpicRyuga clearly cannot get along, whatsoever. That's fine.
But the logical and mature thing to do is to not pay attention to someone you can't stand, not to respond to every remark or comment made at you. The other party already has you on Ignore, so there's no point in seeing content you can't reply to.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Are you just trying to confirm my point?
You basically spent two paragraphs saying what I said in a sentence. A katana user would be unique because katana techniques are very distinctive.
Quick draw, rapid thrusts, etc. Just look at Mitsurgi from Soulcalibur.
Quite the opposite, Kenith. Quick draw, rapid thrusts sounds like Meta Knight, Sheik, Pit and Marth. Katana techniques aren't very distinctive because they tell me what his sword-fighting would look like, not what he'd feel like. If you're telling me he'd feel like one of those characters in terms of making using of quick, disjointed hitboxes, that doesn't sound unique at all.

Little Mac's aesthetics are all about punching, but his kinaesthetics are all about patience and sheer retaliation on the ground. With plenty of moves with armor that come out very quickly, he's very punish-centric. Of course, there are those who will use Little Mac like a rushdown character, which is brilliantly designed to backfire much the way rushing down in the Punch-Out series will backfire, but it's still understood that Little Mac feels powerful and efficient yet completely naked in the air.

So let me ask it like this: You're a programmer for Smash 4 and you were told to create the hitboxes, frame data, and other technical mumbo jumbo that will comprise Takamaru of his gameplay. The model, animations, and sound effects were handed off to different people from you. What I'm asking is to describe your work on Takamaru at this point in development. What would make those hitboxes look any different from any of the other characters we've had thus far? What makes him unique if you can't use aesthetics as a reason?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ignoring is not a "coward's way out".
You can TehEpicRyuga clearly cannot get along, whatsoever. That's fine.
But the logical and mature thing to do is to not pay attention to someone you can't stand, not to respond to every remark or comment made at you. The other party already has you on Ignore, so there's no point in seeing content you can't reply to.
Right you talk about them as if they weren't there... after you ignore them of course. You see it one way I see it another. And that's all I have to say on the matter.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I can see why, the sound it makes does leave a mark, and then there's his down grab which is just him laying the opponent down (fitting since these are moves Snake does from MGS). I guess this is a question regarding Snake, but would his grab be changed to something else?

After thinking it through, I'm now on the stance that it doesn't matter, since we have fighters doing a lot to harm their opponents, and Snake is simply chocking the opponent. However, in the chance it does get changed, I could see a possibility of him hitting the opponent in their back with his knee. And if the down throw needs to be changed, there's a CQC move in MGS3 where Snake's slams the opponent to the ground, which could be a fitting replacement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys let's play a game again:
You have to give your most wanted character a trophy description.

........anyone?...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Quite the opposite, Kenith. Quick draw, rapid thrusts sounds like Meta Knight, Sheik, Pit and Marth. Katana techniques aren't very distinctive because they tell me what his sword-fighting would look like, not what he'd feel like. If you're telling me he'd feel like one of those characters in terms of making using of quick, disjointed hitboxes, that doesn't sound unique at all.

Little Mac's aesthetics are all about punching, but his kinaesthetics are all about patience and sheer retaliation on the ground. With plenty of moves with armor that come out very quickly, he's very punish-centric. Of course, there are those who will use Little Mac like a rushdown character, which is brilliantly designed to backfire much the way rushing down in the Punch-Out series will backfire, but it's still understood that Little Mac feels powerful and efficient yet completely naked in the air.

So let me ask it like this: You're a programmer for Smash 4 and you were told to create the hitboxes, frame data, and other technical mumbo jumbo that will comprise Takamaru of his gameplay. The model, animations, and sound effects were handed off to different people from you. What I'm asking is how do describe your work on Takamaru at this point in development? What would make those hitboxes look any different from any of the other characters we've had thus far? What makes him unique if you can't use aesthetics as a reason?
I'm sorry, but I can't respond to any of this.
I'm not a programmer for Smash Bros. How would I know how to make a character "feel" unless I play them?

Another user had this same argument before. You're just defining characters by their hitboxes. You make it seem like their personality, playstyle, and moveset is irrelevant, because their "hitboxes" aren't unique.

If it's not feasible for Takamaru to bring something new with a katana, it shouldn't be feasible for a mace, a spear, an axe, any weapon can be directly compared to someone else's moveset. That's a very critical way to think of characters.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

........anyone?...
King K rool is my most wanted but he already as a trophy so I'll do one for a character that I like. NiGHTS is a Nightmaren who helps lucky visitors vanish their nightmares and guides them through blissful dreams. or something along those lines.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

So let me ask it like this: You're a programmer for Smash 4 and you were told to create the hitboxes, frame data, and other technical mumbo jumbo that will comprise Takamaru of his gameplay. The model, animations, and sound effects were handed off to different people from you. What I'm asking is how do describe your work on Takamaru at this point in development? What would make those hitboxes look any different from any of the other characters we've had thus far? What makes him unique if you can't use aesthetics as a reason?
I was a huge Takamaru supporter when it was open, so I know a few counter arguments for him. :p

Imagine this, take Marth's speed, take Ike's two handed fighting style mix in a few ninja techniques and that's what Takamaru is. This is how most Katana wielders would be. Ryu Hayabusa is another Katana wielder that would do the same.

Of course, we are talking about just Katana wielders in general and every Katana wielder in about every game ever is all about the attack and retreat technique. Get in, make a combo, get out. Sound familiar? Yes, like Marth or Meta Knight. The difference would be where you want to be in their face until they finally start to make a move, retreat, wait for an opening, get in, rinse and repeat. That's how I would imagine a Katana wielder would feel different though this IS all just my opinion.

D

Deleted member

Well, at least this can't get worse.

I mean at least we aren't talking about the Gematsu lea-OH CRAP I JUST BROUGHT IT AGAIN. ¿WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

........anyone?...
"A mysterious masked being. Midna was a princess in the Twilight Realm who was transformed into an imp by Zant. Midna's personality is characterized by a sharp tongue and a tendency to act on whims. Midna pairs with Link to save the world. She also possesses powerful magic skills, such as the ability to warp through space."

"Link's alternate form in the Twilight Realm. In this form, he cannot use weapons such as swords or shields, but he can attack with a ferocious wolf bite. He also has a number of unqiue skills inherent to his beast form, such as a keen sense of smell, the ability to dig, and a loud wolf howl."

- Wolf Link and Midna's trophy descriptions, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
;)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well, at least this can't get worse.

I mean at least we aren't talking about the Gematsu lea-OH CRAP I JUST BROUGHT IT AGAIN. ¿WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?
hoof... well, how long do we have?

I wanna know why they got rid of Sheik's chain,yeah the grenade is better but why not leave it a grab?

........anyone?...
"The goddess of nature, she believes it is her duty to return heaven and earth to their pure states, and so she labels humans as contaminants of nature that should be eliminated. She butts heads with human-protecting Palutena but hates soul-stealing Hades even more."
:troll:

if it isn't obvious I stole this

Viridi is the Goddess of nature, and does everything she can to protect her turf from those who would do it harm, with her army, The Forcres of Nature. In her attempt at destroying humanity for overtaking too much of the environment, her forces fight* with Pit and Palutena. However other threats force the 3 to form an unnatural alliance.

*the official description stole my idea of "butt heads"

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'm sorry, but I can't respond to any of this.
I'm not a programmer for Smash Bros. How would I know how to make a character "feel" unless I play them?

Another user had this same argument before. You're just defining characters by their hitboxes. You make it seem like their personality, playstyle, and moveset is irrelevant, because their "hitboxes" aren't unique.

If it's not feasible for Takamaru to bring something new with a katana, it shouldn't be feasible for a mace, a spear, an axe, any weapon can be directly compared to someone else's moveset. That's a very critical way to think of characters.
Because you don't have to be a programmer to be able to tell us what makes them a fundamentally different character. :facepalm:

You're ignoring my point. It's not just their hitboxes, it's what their hitboxes and everything else that makes their gameplay possible are working towards. The final result. It's the same reason the Fighting Polygon Team exists and operate differently from one another. Despite looking very similar to one another, you can immediately tell them apart from each other. That's because what they look like doesn't matter, it's their movesets that do. Hell, if Smash Bros. never existed and all we had was a fighting game with the Fighting Polygons, we would still be able to tell differences between the polygons. And I'm not talking about the subtle differences in their models, I'm talking about how the way their movesets work makes them feel different from one another. Just as how you can look at data and tell it apart, so too could you look at generic, seemingly random polygons and distinguish them. This isn't an impossible concept. You can tell me how Kirby and Bowser are different characters beyond what they look like, right?

I'm not saying it's impossible to bring something new with a katana. Again, appearance does not limit creativity. I never once said anything of the sort. What I'm asking is what Takamaru would do to feel different. It's not enough to have a distinct weapon, otherwise you're telling me that a character can be a clone of Dedede and still be undeniably unique simply because they have an axe. Their weapon of choice doesn't matter, what does is how their weapon affects the gameplay.

Dedede, a slow, heavyweight character that makes use of powerful, large-hitboxes and excellent recovery.
Look, I just explained what makes Dedede unique in one sentence without needing to mention anything about his hammer or his appearance. Dedede's hammer could have actually been one really fat arm for all we know from that description without knowing what Dedede looks like, yet we still have an idea of what his gameplay would be like. Here's another: Meta Knight, a lightweight character excellent at aerial combos comprised of rapid smaller-hits to build up damage. Again, not a single mention of his weapon or his wings, nor does any other character. Using the same broad terminology, describe Takamaru the same way. If you struggle to name a concept another character doesn't already have in Smash Bros., that should say something about how Takamaru's uniqueness is only skin-deep.

D

Deleted member

........anyone?...
My most wanted first/second party character already has one, so...

Simon Belmont

The most famous vampire hunter of the Belmont Clan from Konami's Castlevania series, Simon wields his ancestral Vampire Killer whip and battles gruesome monsters while courageously traversing through Dracula's haunted castle to fulfill his family's tradition of defeating the vile count. Seven years later, Simon must find and collect the deceased vampire's scattered body parts and duel him once more to rid himself of a horrible curse. In Smash Bros., Simon is equipped with his trademark whip and an arsenal of sub-weapons obtained from his adventures.

Appearances
Castlevania (NES, 5/1987)
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES, 12/1988)

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
hoof... well, how long do we have?

I wanna know why they got rid of Sheik's chain,yeah the grenade is better but why not leave it a grab?
Because no one could do the move at all, thus, leaving it as a B-move you never use. Like Charizard's Rock smash (4 version)

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

........anyone?...
Well, K. Rool is my most wanted. He has one already, but **** it, let's do a DLC style one where it talks more about his moves and such:

"Donkey Kong's archenemy joins the fight at last! With all sorts of tricky traps and krazy kontraptions, he's a force to be reckoned with. His special attack, Kaptain Kannon, shoots a kannonball that while slow, packs some serious launching power. Missed with it? No problem! If it hits the ground, it will sprout spikes and stay there for a bit. Try knocking your opponents into it for a pointy surprise!"

And a more traditional one for my other most wanted:

"A member of the famed Belmont clan of vampire slayers, Simon Belmont infiltrated Dracula's castle in 1691, and defeated the fiend with the legendary whip, the Vampire Killer. Seven years later, he resurrected the Dark Lord only to destroy him again in order to break a curse that had been placed on him. In Smash Bros, he comes armed to the teeth (or should that be fangs?) with his whip as well as various weaponry. Even Link would be jealous!

Last edited:

Aleis

Smash Rookie
I uhhh, uhhh... I guess I'll suggest my character that I want as SM4SH DLC....

Olivia should be in Sm4sh since she has great potential and is already a Nintendo character so no true licensing would be needed for them. Her moveset would be based off of some Skills she actually has and would not play like the other sword characters. She is a medium-lightweight character who has a speed of around Palutena and Little Mac. She trades power for speed, her aerial game is very good, but it is most likely best to keep her close to the ground where she is less vulnerable. She has a high first jump and a good second jump, put with her great recovery she will be a good recovery character.

Moveset Ideas

B- Special Dance: Olivia dances and raises her strength and defense for a short amount of time, takes a while to recharge in order for her to dance again. If she is in a close vicinity of her teammate in a Team Battle, she would be able to raise the stats of her partners for a short time as well. This move has super-armor on her when she uses this move, the spin has a windbox effect and if you hit with her sash against a projectile she will reflect them. The move will spin once rapidly, spring upward doing a flip. The flip animation is when she can start to attack again. The Flip can also be utilized as an option to return to the stage, but you will have to wait through the spin.

↑B- Dancing Galeforce: Olivia spins upwards or downwards if it connects successfully she will kick up or in the direction you are holding flying higher or of course the direction you are holding, if it does not connect she will be vulnerable to all attacks until she lands. Landing lag if unsuccessful is high like most recovery moves, but if it lands and she gets back successfully she will have no landing lag whatsoever. To have no landing lag she will have to land on the ground when she is falls/flies with the second hit, a move that could be comparative with this one would be bouncing fish, but it can go in all directions not just vertically. She trade the kill power for the extra direction and the strict no landing lag fall.

→B- Astra: If Olivia successfully connects with a character, she will instantly do five consecutive hits only the last hit has Knock Back. If she misses the attack it will do nothing but leave her open. Astra will have medium-small ending lag leaving her open, if used in the air it has five bursts forward losing height and momentum each time. When pressing the jump button while attacking she will do a move similar to ZSS' ↓B, but it will not bury them, she will grab them instead thus cancelling the move.

↓B- Lethality: This move takes 10 seconds to charge up, and once charged up it launches Olivia leaps forward and she slashes in an arc over her body. When used in the air she curls into a ball and smashes full force into opponents, this move kills at about 112%; but when Olivia is over 100% it kills at 65%. This move can be used as a way to get back to the stage, yet until Olivia curls into a ball she is fully vulnerable.

A- She slashes her sword rapidly until the move connects and does a Slash-Slash- Kick combo.

Dash Attack- She lunges forward doing a forward handspring.

↑Tilt- She swings her sword at an ark over her head, hitting taller enemies behind her and shorter enemies in front of her. Good against falling players.

→Tilt- Olivia quickly kicks forward once, does not cover her back.

↓Tilt- Olivia sweep-kicks opponents in the front tripping them at lower percentages, and knocking them into the air at higher percentages. On behind enemies it knocks them in front of her.

(Aerials have little to no landing lag, but are fairly weak. She can be launched easily in the air and is even frailer in the air. If you are going for an aerial pursuit remember she is fast, but extremely light. Her fast fall is very quick, but since she jumps high it is more difficult to fast fall at the perfect time.)

Standard Aerial- Swings her sword in a circle around her, it can protect all of her areas if used correctly. Kills around 125%

Up Aerial- She kicks upward. If it connects will send straight upward. Kills around 89-94%

Down Aerial- She falls face forward with her sword in front of her spiking if she can sweet spot, if it connects she will stop falling. Kills around 154% (not spiking). Spiking: sure kill. 85%

Forward Aerial- She slashes forward with her sword not protecting her back. Kills around 120%

Back Aerial- She kicks backwards twice. This move has low knock-back, and can string into multiple other aerials. Kills around 200%

Grabs

Pummel- She quickly elbows them in the jaw. Does around 1.25%

Back throw- She kicks them behind her at about a 35° angle. At low percentages she will kick them at a much lower angle that will allow her to follow up with her dash attack. Kills around 110%

Forward throw- She will throw them forward at about a 45° degree angle. Kills around 115%

Up Throw- She kicks them straight up into the air. Kills around 105-115%

Down Throw- Olivia turns them so their back if facing her, she grabs them and does a back-bend smashing their heads into the ground. Kills around 150%

Up Taunt- Blows a kiss in the direction you are facing.

Down Taunt- Touches her right hand to her chest and breathes out deeply

Side Taunt- “Catcalls” cupping her hands around her mouth

Final Smash- Pair Up+: She calls upon Tharja, Cherche, Mariebelle or Panne and they fight together. They would fight like the Ice Climbers did when they were here. Panne would transform into her Taguel form and melee attack anyone who tries to damage Olivia. Mariebelle would protect Olivia whenever she is about to be hit, if the hit is successful she heals Olivia’s damage. Tharja uses dark magic to immobilize all opponents for a small amount of time as Olivia gets free damage on them. Cherche has a very good AI and attacks freely, mostly going after opponents who are at higher damage.

Winning Animations

WA 1- Olivia pulls her hands close to her chest, closes her eyes and quickly says “I’m sorry…”

WA 2- Olivia does her dance animation from FE: A

WA 3- Olivia does a different dance and blows a kiss at the screen.

WA against Robin M- I’m so sorry, are you alright!!!

WA against Robin F- Robin are you okay, I hope I didn’t hurt you!

Synopsis- Olivia has above average speed but very low killing power; forcing you to have to wait for perfect opportunities to hit and evade. You will be constantly switching between her aerial game and her ground game. Without any projectiles she will have a hard time making a wall around her, but due to her speed she will approach somewhat easily. Since Olivia is such a low weight character you will most likely be using Special Dance whenever you can to raise her defense. She has more options recovering, but most leave her open if unsuccessful.

Sorry if it's too wordy, I just love Olivia!

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I uhhh, uhhh... I guess I'll suggest my character that I want as SM4SH DLC....

Olivia should be in Sm4sh since she has great potential and is already a Nintendo character so no true licensing would be needed for them. Her moveset would be based off of some Skills she actually has and would not play like the other sword characters. She is a medium-lightweight character who has a speed of around Palutena and Little Mac. She trades power for speed, her aerial game is very good, but it is most likely best to keep her close to the ground where she is less vulnerable. She has a high first jump and a good second jump, put with her great recovery she will be a good recovery character.

Moveset Ideas

B- Special Dance: Olivia dances and raises her strength and defense for a short amount of time, takes a while to recharge in order for her to dance again. If she is in a close vicinity of her teammate in a Team Battle, she would be able to raise the stats of her partners for a short time as well. This move has super-armor on her when she uses this move, the spin has a windbox effect and if you hit with her sash against a projectile she will reflect them. The move will spin once rapidly, spring upward doing a flip. The flip animation is when she can start to attack again. The Flip can also be utilized as an option to return to the stage, but you will have to wait through the spin.

↑B- Dancing Galeforce: Olivia spins upwards or downwards if it connects successfully she will kick up or in the direction you are holding flying higher or of course the direction you are holding, if it does not connect she will be vulnerable to all attacks until she lands. Landing lag if unsuccessful is high like most recovery moves, but if it lands and she gets back successfully she will have no landing lag whatsoever. To have no landing lag she will have to land on the ground when she is falls/flies with the second hit, a move that could be comparative with this one would be bouncing fish, but it can go in all directions not just vertically. She trade the kill power for the extra direction and the strict no landing lag fall.

→B- Astra: If Olivia successfully connects with a character, she will instantly do five consecutive hits only the last hit has Knock Back. If she misses the attack it will do nothing but leave her open. Astra will have medium-small ending lag leaving her open, if used in the air it has five bursts forward losing height and momentum each time. When pressing the jump button while attacking she will do a move similar to ZSS' ↓B, but it will not bury them, she will grab them instead thus cancelling the move.

↓B- Lethality: This move takes 10 seconds to charge up, and once charged up it launches Olivia leaps forward and she slashes in an arc over her body. When used in the air she curls into a ball and smashes full force into opponents, this move kills at about 112%; but when Olivia is over 100% it kills at 65%. This move can be used as a way to get back to the stage, yet until Olivia curls into a ball she is fully vulnerable.

A- She slashes her sword rapidly until the move connects and does a Slash-Slash- Kick combo.

Dash Attack- She lunges forward doing a forward handspring.

↑Tilt- She swings her sword at an ark over her head, hitting taller enemies behind her and shorter enemies in front of her. Good against falling players.

→Tilt- Olivia quickly kicks forward once, does not cover her back.

↓Tilt- Olivia sweep-kicks opponents in the front tripping them at lower percentages, and knocking them into the air at higher percentages. On behind enemies it knocks them in front of her.

(Aerials have little to no landing lag, but are fairly weak. She can be launched easily in the air and is even frailer in the air. If you are going for an aerial pursuit remember she is fast, but extremely light. Her fast fall is very quick, but since she jumps high it is more difficult to fast fall at the perfect time.)

Standard Aerial- Swings her sword in a circle around her, it can protect all of her areas if used correctly. Kills around 125%

Up Aerial- She kicks upward. If it connects will send straight upward. Kills around 89-94%

Down Aerial- She falls face forward with her sword in front of her spiking if she can sweet spot, if it connects she will stop falling. Kills around 154% (not spiking). Spiking: sure kill. 85%

Forward Aerial- She slashes forward with her sword not protecting her back. Kills around 120%

Back Aerial- She kicks backwards twice. This move has low knock-back, and can string into multiple other aerials. Kills around 200%

Grabs

Pummel- She quickly elbows them in the jaw. Does around 1.25%

Back throw- She kicks them behind her at about a 35° angle. At low percentages she will kick them at a much lower angle that will allow her to follow up with her dash attack. Kills around 110%

Forward throw- She will throw them forward at about a 45° degree angle. Kills around 115%

Up Throw- She kicks them straight up into the air. Kills around 105-115%

Down Throw- Olivia turns them so their back if facing her, she grabs them and does a back-bend smashing their heads into the ground. Kills around 150%

Up Taunt- Blows a kiss in the direction you are facing.

Down Taunt- Touches her right hand to her chest and breathes out deeply

Side Taunt- “Catcalls” cupping her hands around her mouth

Final Smash- Pair Up+: She calls upon Tharja, Cherche, Mariebelle or Panne and they fight together. They would fight like the Ice Climbers did when they were here. Panne would transform into her Taguel form and melee attack anyone who tries to damage Olivia. Mariebelle would protect Olivia whenever she is about to be hit, if the hit is successful she heals Olivia’s damage. Tharja uses dark magic to immobilize all opponents for a small amount of time as Olivia gets free damage on them. Cherche has a very good AI and attacks freely, mostly going after opponents who are at higher damage.

Winning Animations

WA 1- Olivia pulls her hands close to her chest, closes her eyes and quickly says “I’m sorry…”

WA 2- Olivia does her dance animation from FE: A

WA 3- Olivia does a different dance and blows a kiss at the screen.

WA against Robin M- I’m so sorry, are you alright!!!

WA against Robin F- Robin are you okay, I hope I didn’t hurt you!

Synopsis- Olivia has above average speed but very low killing power; forcing you to have to wait for perfect opportunities to hit and evade. You will be constantly switching between her aerial game and her ground game. Without any projectiles she will have a hard time making a wall around her, but due to her speed she will approach somewhat easily. Since Olivia is such a low weight character you will most likely be using Special Dance whenever you can to raise her defense. She has more options recovering, but most leave her open if unsuccessful.

Sorry if it's too wordy, I just love Olivia!
That is rather nicely put together and makes good use of Olivia's skills. If you haven't already I'd suggest making an Olivia thread where you can give this move set a home and have better general talk about the character.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Because you don't have to be a programmer to be able to tell us what makes them a fundamentally different character. :facepalm:

You're ignoring my point. It's not just their hitboxes, it's what their hitboxes and everything else that makes their gameplay possible are working towards. The final result. It's the same reason the Fighting Polygon Team exists and operate differently from one another. Despite looking very similar to one another, you can immediately tell them apart from each other. That's because what they look like doesn't matter, it's their movesets that do. Hell, if Smash Bros. never existed and all we had was a fighting game with the Fighting Polygons, we would still be able to tell differences between the polygons. And I'm not talking about the subtle differences in their models, I'm talking about how the way their movesets work makes them feel different from one another. Just as how you can look at data and tell it apart, so too could you look at generic, seemingly random polygons and distinguish them. This isn't an impossible concept. You can tell me how Kirby and Bowser are different characters beyond what they look like, right?

I'm not saying it's impossible to bring something new with a katana. Again, appearance does not limit creativity. I never once said anything of the sort. What I'm asking is what Takamaru would do to feel different. It's not enough to have a distinct weapon, otherwise you're telling me that a character can be a clone of Dedede and still be undeniably unique simply because they have an axe. Their weapon of choice doesn't matter, what does is how their weapon affects the gameplay.
Dedede, a slow, heavyweight character that makes use of powerful, large-hitboxes and excellent recovery. Look, I just explained what makes Dedede unique in one sentence without needing to mention anything about his hammer or his appearance. Dedede's hammer could have actually been one really fat arm for all we know from that description without knowing what Dedede looks like, yet we still have an idea of what his gameplay would be like. Here's another: Meta Knight, a lightweight character excellent at aerial combos comprised of rapid smaller-hits to build up damage. Again, not a single mention of his weapon or his wings, nor does any other character. Using the same broad terminology, describe Takamaru the same way. If you struggle to name a concept another character doesn't already have in Smash Bros., that should say something about how Takamaru's uniqueness is only skin-deep.
Please.
You could use the work you've put into these posts to write a book.
No, I guess I don't get your "point". And I never will, because I don't have the patience to argue over whether or not having a certain type of sword helps a character be unique.
So, agree to disagree.

Troykv

Smash Master

........anyone?...
"Micaiah is a magician known as the "Priestess of Dawn" and member (alongside her best friend Sothe) of the Dawn Brigade, a group that fight for the Daein's Independence against the Begnion's Occuppational Army. In Smash Bros Micaiah is a powerful glass cannon, she can use the staffs and her Thani to put the opponent in an strategical disadvantage. Use her carefully."

Appearances:

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (2007)
(I'm unsure if count Awakening too xD)

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

........anyone?...
My most wanted (Ridley, Goroh, and K Rool) already have trophy descriptions and I don't want to make one for Isaac so I'll just do Star Man.

Hailing from Mexico? Star Man comes down to the ring and is ready to wrestle. Star Man's lucha libre style and high flying offense makes him a tough opponent for any who underestimate him. Watch out for his flying cross chop that has been known to knock out opponents for a three count pin. Like any other luchador, Star Man has never taken off his mask, leaving his identity a mystery.

Appearances:
Pro Wrestling (NES, March 1987)

Also lol, Pro Wrestling's Japanese and European release dates have actual days but I couldn't find the specific day Pro Wrestling was released in the US.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You know, there is one character that has not been used that would be an interesting type

A ghost

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...GENGAR!!!

Think about it. It's ****ing brilliant!

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Please.
You could use the work you've put into these posts to write a book.
No, I guess I don't get your "point". And I never will, because I don't have the patience to argue over whether or not having a certain type of sword helps a character be unique.
So, agree to disagree.
So the discussion comes to an end over one of the parties not even caring anymore? Ouch. I didn't write a novella for that kind of response...
Of course, we are talking about just Katana wielders in general and every Katana wielder in about every game ever is all about the attack and retreat technique. Get in, make a combo, get out. Sound familiar? Yes, like Marth or Meta Knight. The difference would be where you want to be in their face until they finally start to make a move, retreat, wait for an opening, get in, rinse and repeat. That's how I would imagine a Katana wielder would feel different though this IS all just my opinion.
This, on the other hand, does a good job trying to address what I meant. I apologize for not noticing this earlier. Given, guerrilla tactics doesn't sound immediately unique on paper, but the fact that you make it a point of what his gameplay promotes and conditions of its players--this case being to allow little room for punishment while getting in only chips of damage... A physical camper, perhaps? It's a crude way to put it, but I'll admit that the concept could be unique if properly executed.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You know, there is one character that has not been used that would be an interesting type

A ghost

but....shadow sneak and shadow ball....welp not unique enough, guess we'll go with Weavile's Ice typing...dammit Lucas....

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Takamaru's ninja tools would ensure he isn't just your everyday swordfighter, right?

I think that in itself is pretty fun.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
but....shadow sneak and shadow ball....welp not unique enough, guess we'll go with Weavile's Ice typing...dammit Lucas....
Toxic, Lick, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Claw, Elemental Punches, Hex, Thief, Will-O-Wisp, Scary Face, Sludge Wave, and Psychic could work well on Gengar.

I would love if Gengar has an unique Final Smash like Perish Song or Destiny Bond, but we all know how that would make him become XD perhaps Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A ghost

You're actually on to something.
Not Gengar specifically, because Gengar would be a random addition for Smash at this point in time, but having a spectral fighter.

A fighter whose very fighting style can be described simply as "paranormal activity". You can't tell what's going to happen or when it's going to happen, and once it does, you cannot explain it.

Kind of like how I'm struggling to put the concept that's in my head into words. :p

I guess in a way, think Master Core but on a much smaller scale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not Gengar specifically, because Gengar would be a random addition for Smash at this point in time, but having a spectral fighter.

A fighter whose very fighting style can be described simply as "paranormal activity". You can't tell what's going to happen or when it's going to happen, and once it does, you cannot explain it.

Kind of like how I'm struggling to put the concept that's in my head into words. :p

King Boo!

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603

Do any of King Boo, Vaati, Dark Matter, or Ashley help with that mental image of a spectral fighter?

D

Deleted member

King Boo!
He's a good example of someone that could implement the idea.
Though it raises the issue that he's another Mario character, and we also don't need to throw in King Boo into the "Captain Toad/Daisy/Paper Mario War".

Do any of King Boo, Vaati, Dark Matter, or Ashley help with that mental image of a spectral fighter?
King Boo and Dark Matter, yes. Vaati as well, provided he's in his flying shadowy eyeball form.

Ashley, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

He's a perfect random and wtf character combined. Your paranormal activity idea is giving me an idea on how to use him. There's gotta be something about him being so scary that's ****ed up for people to use mind games on

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
He's a good example of someone that could implement the idea.
Though it raises the issue that he's another Mario character, and we also don't need to throw in King Boo into the "Captain Toad/Daisy/Paper Mario War".

King Boo and Dark Matter, yes. Vaati as well, provided he's in his flying shadowy eyeball form.

Ashley, not so much.
I'm genuinely surprised that you shot down Ashley over Vaati. :surprised: I would have figured you would be in the camp to argue "darkness and wind =/= paranormal", but it reasonably makes sense if our definition of paranormal extends out towards anything eldritch.

That said, I've never been a real advocator for Ashley, but I sensibly thought that if she ever were to be a character, the whole witch-magic angle would be a more paranormal take on all of the magic-users in Smash. The idea of Ashley not being paranormal herself so much as being the lightningrod for everything paranormal around her, you know?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom