• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Countering stopped being charming for me after we got more of the roster that uses it and how spammable it is.
That makes more sense, thank you.

See, the issue here isn't that your opinion isn't respected.

The issue is that you get ultra-defensive whenever anybody disagrees with said opinion.

If you express your opinion, you have to accept that there will be disagreement.

Your opinion is that swords are inherently dull due to their constant appearance in the series, to the extent that characters with swords are, by extension, dull.

My opinion is that a character is more than a mobile vehicle for a weapon type.

This is a good place to start a formal debate.

We can educate each-other this way.

Moves that you can do nothing against.
Grab.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My favourite example of a unique Swordsman is MK. People pretty much forget about him when whining about swords.I WONDER WHY?!?
Why is...why is everything "disgusting"?
Counters aren't that bad, seriously. They're just moves. I don't understand why it's so horrible a handful of characters do similar things.
You might as well say Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Samus having a similar up tilt is "disgusting", or both Kirby and Jigglypuff having five jumps is "disgusting".
Oh wait, Pakky again?
He/she isn't a swordsman though. They are magic users with swords.
You whined about Isaac having a sword. This argument is null and void
Because there were much more unique options. Other options that also aren't REALLY bad moves. she really didn't need a counter and a reflector. ESPECIALLY as her base moves.

I've said it before i will say it again. If lightweight and super speed were her starting moves and not customs much less people would dislike her.
Lightweight alone makes her about 5x more threatening

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
He/she isn't a swordsman though. They are magic users with swords.
Robin IS a swordsman considering most of their standard attacks use a sword...it's not like Kirby who uses a sword for one attack and perhaps some absorbed Neutral B's...

either way Isaac fits in the same boat as Robin by being a 'magic-user with a sword'...This is why the 'too many swords' argument irks me...there isn't really a good argument for it unless the character in question obviously lacks uniqueness like chrom who isn't in the game because of it...

----

Also the whole counters thing...people who spam counters are incredibly predictable as they are very easily punished if they don't successfully land a counter...this is all about learning your matchups and conditioning...baiting counters for a hard punish is hella satisfying...especially if you know that your opponent counters every chance they get...

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh wait, Pakky again?

You whined about Isaac having a sword. This argument is null and void
Just to say it, but I don't think personal attacks will help.

Also the whole counters thing...people who spam counters are incredibly predictable as they are very easily punished if they don't successfully land a counter...this is all about learning your matchups and conditioning...
This.

You need to understand your opponent's tactics before you commit to a move.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If you get countered by Greninja or Lucario, just shield. Or, better yet, counter yourself if you have one!
Exactly. There's plenty of ways to counter a Counter.
My favourite example of a unique Swordsman is MK. People pretty much forget about him when whining about swords.I WONDER WHY?!?
Exactly.
Less extreme example, a katana user would probably be pretty unique too.

Pakky

Smash Hero
That makes more sense, thank you.

See, the issue here isn't that your opinion isn't respected.

The issue is that you get ultra-defensive whenever anybody disagrees with said opinion.

If you express your opinion, you have to accept that there will be disagreement.

Your opinion is that swords are inherently dull due to their constant appearance in the series, to the extent that characters with swords are, by extension, dull.

My opinion is that a character is more than a mobile vehicle for a weapon type.

This is a good place to start a formal debate.

We can educate each-other this way.
Its not that I'm being defensive its that I can't tolerate childishness or memes.

Disagreement is fine I just feel that with the vast amount of things to choose from why settle on the lowest common denominator which is the sword user.

Robin despite him/her being a little on the bad side is an interesting character. Isaac I feel would be a great one as well because he has more to offer than being just a swordsman. Nightmare on the other hand is terrible because he provides nothing to the roster that is unique. The size of his weapon matters little.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Just to say it, but I don't think personal attacks will help.

This.

You need to understand your opponent's tactics before you commit to a move.
Didn't mean to attack, it's just Pakky's always called opinions he disagrees with gross or something similair, that's why I said it. Besides, had Kenith not mentioned the 'disgusting' complaint, I wouldn't have checked Ignored Content. Pakky, I'm not trying to offend you with this, so if you do feel offended, I appologize

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Its not that I'm being defensive its that I can't tolerate childishness or memes.
Ad hominem insults make you out to be spiteful.

Disagreement is fine I just feel that with the vast amount of things to choose from why settle on the lowest common denominator which is the sword user.
Define how it's the lowest common denominator.

Robin despite him/her being a little on the bad side is an interesting character. Isaac I feel would be a great one as well because he has more to offer than being just a swordsman. Nightmare on the other hand is terrible because he provides nothing to the roster that is unique. The size of his weapon matters little.
Serious question, have you ever played a Soul Calibur game?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Didn't mean to attack, it's just Pakky's always called opinions he disagrees with gross or something similair, that's why I said it. Besides, had Kenith not mentioned the 'disgusting' complaint, I wouldn't have checked Ignored Content. Pakky, I'm not trying to offend you with this, so if you do feel offended, I appologize
Not offended? You have blatantly cursed me out on a number of occasions and have broken the rules of the board several times. Yet you are still here? The mods of this board are the most lax I have ever seen.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Two things.
1. Isaac is great? Weren't you just complaining about hating swords in general?
2. I agree, Nightmare IS terrible.
He is a terrible, terrible monster, and you should fear him, you poor soul.
#Nightmare4Smash

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that there'll be 6 DLC characters in the future.

I'm ready to be wrong.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ad hominem insults make you out to be spiteful.
And I have been insulted which would provoke being spiteful as displayed by TehEpicRyuga.

how it's the lowest common denominator.
Swords are the most common weapon in fiction if you ask me, that's why I said that.

question, have you ever played a Soul Calibur game?
2 and 4 and I honestly don't see anything special about him

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just to say, I have contacted a mod to ensure this thread remains civil.

We're all entitled to our opinions if we treat each-other with respect and formality.

Nightmare would be fun. His moveset writes itself.

Would his Final Smash be a transformation into Night Terror?

And I have been insulted which would provoke being spiteful as displayed by TehEpicRyuga.
That doesn't matter. Please stop it, it's uncomfortable for everybody here.

Swords are the most common weapon in fiction if you ask me, that's why I said that.
Fair enough, but why does that make swordfighters intrinsically dull?

I daresay there's a reason swords are so common in fiction.

2 and 4 and I honestly don't see anything special about him
Okay, so long as your opinion is informed and respectable.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Two things.
#Nightmare4Smash
Nightmare is, dare I say, Nightmarish?
It's funny, all this sword talk and a Kingdom Hearts video popped up in my subbox. Sora could theoretically also have a counter because of KH2's reaction commands. This isn't a coincidence

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Two things.
#Nightmare4Smash
1. I do hate swordsmen but he does have something that makes him stand out
2. the rest is that of which I referred to earlier, and therefore will not get a constructive response.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I don't see why it wouldn't unless the idea of him transporting some unlucky victims to Ostreinsburg Castle where he topples it on top of them with his sword strikes sounds better.

Pakky

Smash Hero

We're all entitled to our opinions if we treat each-other with respect and formality.

What makes him different is what I'm asking? Having a big sword is well, not enough...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Would Night Terror be fanservice to the SC fans, or disservice because of SC fans hating fighting him? You brought up Devil Jin(?) before, you must know how painful those bosses are Winny

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
1. I do hate swordsmen but he does have something that makes him stand out
2. the rest is that of which I referred to earlier, and therefore will not get a constructive response.
Wasn't holding out for a constructive response anyways. :ohwell:

Of course. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, FYI, Nightmare doesn't just wield "a sword". He wields a hulking organic demon in the shape of a zweihander that eats your soul.
Big difference.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that there'll be 6 DLC characters in the future.

I'm ready to be wrong.
I really hope so to though i'm really only expecting to see 4 characters become DLC.

Wolf, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and a character popular with casual fans are what i'm predicting personally. Hopefully, that last character ends up being K. Rool.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What makes him different is what I'm asking? Having a big sword is well, not enough...
The fact that he has dark powers, a fighting style unlike anything else in the roster, many moves that make use of his own body rather than his sword and, most importantly, he can transform into a devil-winged fiend from the depths of hell.

Would Night Terror be fanservice to the SC fans, or disservice because of SC fans hating fighting him? You brought up Devil Jin(?) before, you must know how painful those bosses are Winny
When Shin M. Bison is a character in Smash, we can talk, dear. ;3

Pakky

Smash Hero
The fact that he has dark powers, a fighting style unlike anything else in the roster, many moves that make use of his own body rather than his sword and, most importantly, he can transform into a devil-winged fiend from the depths of hell.
So he's Ganadorf?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I still don't understand why people hate swords. There are a ton of styles of sword play that can be implemented without any similarities to the others. Let's take the two most popular for example.
Isaac - though a sword user, he only has to utilize it in his normal and Smash attacks. Otherwise he would probably use his Psynergy in Djinn.
Takamaru - Takamaru is extremely projectile heavy, to the point that when the Takamaru thread was a thing most of us decided that his sword would be sheathed and only utilized again in his Normal and Smash attacks. Even if he used his Sword for most of his attacks, he's a quick two-handed Katana weilder which is a much different fighting style than what's represented in Smash as of now.

Even after all of that swords are the only other weapon besides fists that Sakurai will really allow. Knives? Off-limits. Guns? Off-limits. It's pretty ridiculous honestly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Also, FYI, Nightmare doesn't just wield "a sword". He wields a hulking organic demon in the shape of a zweihander that eats your soul.
Big difference.
Now that I think it, wouldn't a soul stealing slash by easy to implement? Kinda like Ryu's Focus Attacks and a few customs, as it's attacking the soul, maybe it can ignore shields? I'm strictly thinking of potential special moves, Nightmare not being able to be shielded wouldn't be wise

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yes, in the same way Ryu is Captain Falcon and Pit is Marth.

:3
Well no from what I've seen he would amount to what Ganadorf would be like if he had a sword. The shoulder thrusts/charges, the wild kicks, and the counters. I'm sorry I'm not seeing to much that sands out and screams unique character. If anything its as if one combined Ike with present smash Ganadorf.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The fact that people don't want diversity in the roster crushes my soul. It's one of toughest things about being a Snake fan. "Too Realistic" or "Doesn't Fit" or "Not Nintendo Enough" ****ing EVERYWHERE.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well no from what I've seen he would amount to what Ganadorf would be like if he had a sword. The shoulder thrusts/charges, the wild kicks, and the counters. I'm sorry I'm not seeing to much that sands out and screams unique character. If anything its as if one combined Ike with present smash Ganadorf.
So kinda like how Isaac is a combination of Robin's swordplay and Charizard's down-b?

You need to consider characters on their own merits, rather than in contrast to others.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I remember another dumb argument because of this. 'Too anime'. What does it even ****ing mean? Bishie? Humanoid and realistic? Flashy as ****?
Anime is taking over Smash Bros. We can't let them win!
ffLdfRy - Imgur.gif
The fact that people don't want diversity in the roster crushes my soul. It's one of toughest things about being a Snake fan. "Too Realistic" or "Doesn't Fit" or "Not Nintendo Enough" ****ing EVERYWHERE.
I want Snake...do you love me now?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I agree which is why I would like Snake back as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom