• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Isaac gets in, I really can't see him ever using axes or maces. Either relying on his sword for most of his normal attacks, using his sword for some of them, or no sword at all.
Oh, of course, I'm just saying, Isaac isn't restricted to just Swords in the games. His only special connection to swords is that his default weapon is a sword, so its considered his canon weapon.

Honestly I blame the artwork if Issac does end up using a sword, they always HAVE to draw the main hero with a sword
Odds are extremely likely Isaac would use a sword in Smash regardless. It is his default weapon, and he has it on his Brawl Assist Trophy model. Most likely, though, he'd keep it sheathed and only pull it out for specific attacks, like Shulk does.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This "I hate *insert something here*"-thing or hating counters?
Countering because it's horrendous

I also love how when my opinion is shot down but when I disagree with someone's else opinion everyone turns into a sensitive sally.

Anyway all I'm saying is that the amount of swordsman is rath obnoxious especially when there are an enormous amount of other things you could have. However the thing I'm starting to notice with Smash fans is that they don't like different, they like more of the same. The matter that there was an argument about Nightmare being unique because he has a large sword was ridiculous. Even more so when you consider Ike already fills that role.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Countering because it's horrendous

I also love how when my opinion is shot down but when I disagree with someone's else opinion everyone turns into a sensitive sally.

Anyway all I'm saying is that the amount of swordsman is rath obnoxious especially when there are an enormous amount of other things you could have.
Because the 'too many swordsmen' argument is silly, there's no problem with having over half of the roster that punches/kicks or slashes, etc...but if they use a sword then there's a problem...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
FYI, swords are cool. They are by far the most popular weapon ever made.
Of course a JRPG protagonist uses one. It's not that big of a deal if he uses a sword for like two attacks when can also create earthquakes and giant psychic ghost hands, and control djinns, among many other very awesome things.

Also, swords are cool. I'd actually love if Isaac used a mace though.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Anyway all I'm saying is that the amount of swordsman is rath obnoxious especially when there are an enormous amount of other things you could have.
You make it sound as though Sakurai has a methodical tally of how many swordfighters he needs in every game.

There are a ton of swordfighters because these characters happen to wield swords, Sakurai doesn't arbitrarily pick characters based on his blade quota for Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because the 'too many swordsmen' argument is silly, there's no problem with having over half of the roster that punches/kicks or slashes, etc...but if they use a sword then there's a problem...
"Fictional characters fighting with popular weapons in fiction? Worst characters evar!!!!!111"
It's not what you fight with that makes you different, but rather, how you fight

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Swords are also extremely popular weapons with a variety of fighting styles to it.
Still waiting for a dedicated Dual Swords user like Lloyd Irving or Seven.

I hate stairs. I hate hospitals. I hate doctors. . .
Jeez does anyone even get that reference?

As long as a character is unique I don't care what weapon they have ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Although I DO think we are overdue for a few weapons like a spear . . . Chrom/Anna when?

I don't get Counter hate honestly. Is it because lots of characters have it? Or is it because the people who are complaining are too scrubby to use them well yet fall for them easily or something?
For me it's because I usually play against CPUs and they constantly spam it, and many characters have counter in SSB4, so I often get one as random opponent.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Although I DO think we are overdue for a few weapons like a spear . . . Chrom/Anna when?
Actually, Bandana Dee, a deedeecated spear wielder, seems to be rather popular. My personal most wanted and I wouldn't be too shocked if he made it in

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Counter is a clever mechanic for the Fire Emblem characters because it refers to the main method of combat in the series, i.e. turn-based action with initiatory and counter phases.

Shulk's counter is the best because it's a very cute depiction of his talent for oracular visions.

Sorry forgot I can't have an opinion here.
Of course you're entitled to your opinion.

But with that opinion comes the burden of disagreement with said opinion.

You mentioned your opinion.

Other people disagreed with it.

Our opinions conflict with yours.

This is called a debate.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I just want a dual swords character myself and Pit does not count god dammit.
Ghirahim would have been perfect :cry:

Actually, Bandana Dee, a deedeecated spear wielder, seems to be rather popular. My personal most wanted and I wouldn't be too shocked if he made it in
I know that. But even though I like Dee i would much prefer one of the FE cast. TBH I was kind of waiting for a Dee response

and as for counters, I have no inherent problem with them, we just got a lot of them this game. shulk's and greninja's are cool, but the rest are kind of boring. especially palutena's.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Counter is a clever mechanic for the Fire Emblem characters because it refers to the main method of combat in the series, i.e. turn-based action with initiatory and counter phases.

Shulk's counter is the best because it's a very cute depiction of his talent for oracular visions.
Counter is also disgusting because more and more characters tend to get it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Wait what? You, Wintropy, a huge fan of Uprising, didn't mention the Counter Power as an example?!?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I just want a dual swords character myself and Pit does not count god dammit.
Ghirahim would have been perfect :cry:
Why doesn't he? A least the weapon is unique.

See this is what I'm talking about, why do people like more of the same rather than the unique?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That doesn't even make rational sense.

Wait what? You, Wintropy, a huge fan of Uprising, didn't mention the Counter Power as an example?!?
Well it's kinda awful in execution soooo...~ ;3

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Sorry forgot I can't have an opinion here.
You can...I'm just tired of hearing this all the time...people need to stop dismissing characters because of their choice of weapons...and not for what else they can do as a fighter...just because they use a sword doesn't mean they can't be unique...

Look at Robin and tell me he/she is a generic fighter...

Because there were much more unique options. Other options that also aren't REALLY bad moves. she really didn't need a counter and a reflector. ESPECIALLY as her base moves.

I've said it before i will say it again. If lightweight and super speed were her starting moves and not customs much less people would dislike her.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why is...why is everything "disgusting"?
Counters aren't that bad, seriously. They're just moves. I don't understand why it's so horrible a handful of characters do similar things.
You might as well say Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Samus having a similar up tilt is "disgusting", or both Kirby and Jigglypuff having five jumps is "disgusting".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
**** it, I'm looking at something
:4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4miisword::4palutena::4feroy::4shulk:
These are all characters with Counters, correct?
Greninja uses Substitute, a move from the games, similairly, Lucario uses Double Team. Remove them. Then we have the FE cast, a franchise in which countering is what helps the strategy. Remove those. Little Mac's Slip Counter could possibly be taken from how in Punch Out, you can dodge and attack quickly. Palutena has the Counter Power from Uprising. Shulk's Vision is easily the best way to make his visions in his moveset in Smash
:4miisword:is the only character with a counter where it originated from nothing

Pakky

Smash Hero
You can...I'm just tired of hearing this all the time...people need to stop dismissing characters because of their choice of weapons...and not for what else they can do as a fighter...just because they use a sword doesn't mean they can't be unique...

Look at Robin and tell me he/she is a generic fighter...
He/she isn't a swordsman though. They are magic users with swords.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Countering stopped being charming for me after we got more of the roster that uses it and how spammable it is.
Counters are also easily punishable with a grab or a delayed attack. Shulk's vision even has less counter frames the more it's spammed.

He/she isn't a swordsman though. They are magic users with swords.
Yes. Let's ignore the "I'm no ordinary swordsman!" part of the Lucina/Robin trailer.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Why is...why is everything "disgusting"?
Counters aren't that bad, seriously. They're just moves. I don't understand why it's so horrible a handful of characters do similar things.
You might as well say Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Samus having a similar up tilt is "disgusting", or both Kirby and Jigglypuff having five jumps is "disgusting".
Moves that you can do nothing against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom