• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
You need to consider characters on their own merits, rather than in contrast to others.
Is hard not to compare and contrast when you start to see the similarity start to pile up. For example I personally feel that Darkpit, Dr.Mario and Lucina should have been scrapped and released as costumes at a later date. Because I feel that I can't help but compare them to the couterparts and see how much worse they are by comparison.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Is hard not to compare and contrast when you start to see the similarity start to pile up. For example I personally feel that Darkpit, Dr.Mario and Lucina should have been scrapped and released as costumes at a later date. Because I feel that I can't help but compare them to the couterparts and see how much worse they are by comparison.
You're suggesting that the clones be scrapped from the base game to be released as even worse costumes as DLC?
why

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Gonna be frank here, it sounds like you let personal bias form an irrational opinion that you thereafter stick to.

It sounds like you're using your snap judgements as an excuse to vindicate an uninformed concept.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can agree with this. Though, there are certain characters that shouldn't really be compared. Ike and Marth come to mind. Little Mac and Ryu. Mario and Wario. All those are similar but vastly different making their own merits stand out more.

I can say that Dr. Mario is a character that needed to be included. He's a vet and the replacement for the missing Melee Mario. Sure, he isn't that viable but he's unique enough to stand out far more than the other two. Even if he is just Mario in a Doc outfit.

Edit: the above posts said it better but each clone has their fans. Most notably Lucina, least so Dark Pit.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Exactly.
Less extreme example, a katana user would probably be pretty unique too.
What does the kind of sword a character uses have to do with being unique?

I mean, it's something to notice aesthetically, but it doesn't sound like it has to do with gameplay when gameplay is what makes a character unique first and foremost.

This is exactly why Robin stands out so much as a sword-user: It's not that he has a unique sword--I mean, it's literally a dinky bronze sword with the occasional Falchion-dipped-in-Pikachu-juice substituting in on occasion--but rather the system in which durability applies to his weapons and causes the need for strategic use of his moves. Playing him feels different than playing as another character. The kinaesthetics that come out of his Levin Sword's Glass Cannon-like fragility are a result of his unique gameplay. Likewise, the sturdiness of Link's Master Sword as a back-up to his heavy use of projectiles, or the focal point of power that exists within Marth's Falchion's tip, or the swiftness of Meta Knight's Galaxia that feels nothing Ike's Ragnell in its heavy, slow approaches. It's not about the swords themselves, but rather what they do in gameplay. Heck, all of these guys could be punching instead of using swords, but would be just as unique from one another if they retained the same attributes in terms of hitbox sizes, power, speed and the works.

What I'm more interested in is not the idea of Takamaru using a katana, but rather, how said katana is used. If he's just a rushdown character that focuses on building up tiny hits like Meta Knight and Sheik, that honestly doesn't sound enticing as another character to add, imo. What would he feel like to play as?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Gonna be frank here, it sounds like you let personal bias form an irrational opinion that you thereafter stick to.

It sounds like you're using your snap judgements as an excuse to vindicate an uninformed concept.
Well I'm I just can't what else Nightmare would bring to the table that doesn't already exist. However I don't have to get it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'd love a Young Ike costume. :nifty: Or a Ken costume for Ryu...

Pakky

Smash Hero
You know, what other ****ty arguments are there?
How about one for you getting flagged or something for cursing in every post? Seriously are the mods sleeping? How do you get a pardon for this? Honestly, you have more than six offences, why isn't the law carried out to the full extent around here?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
How about one for you getting flagged or something for cursing in every post? Seriously are the mods sleeping?
If it's censored she can curse all she wants. Censor dodging is what will get you in trouble.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
How about one for you getting flagged or something for cursing in every post? Seriously are the mods sleeping? How do you get a pardon for this? Honestly, you have more than six offences, why isn't the law carried out to the full extent around here?
You really need to let your vendetta against Ryuga go. It's absolutely childish.

Well I'm I just can't what else Nightmare would bring to the table that doesn't already exist. However I don't have to get it.
Sometimes you don't need to add something to the table. Sometimes you can mix things on the table up a little to create something new.
Heavy Swordsman with Fire (:4myfriends:) + Teleportation (:4sheik:) + Soul Draining (:4robinf:'s Nosferatu) + either a Super Armour sort of thing(:4bowser:) or reduced damage from attacks(:4bowserjr:'s Clown Car). Then it's just a matter of balancing it out.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
What characters should be DLC costumes outside of NPCs? No one
Honestly, I'd take an official costume of Ghirahim over Marth, lol. I used it in Brawl, after all. :p
That's something I really wish we had in Smash Bros., good costumes.
Like MvC3 style. I don't care if it's just one palette, as long as it's there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You really need to let your vendetta against Ryuga go. It's absolutely childish.

Sometimes you don't need to add something to the table. Sometimes you can mix things on the table up a little to create something new.
Heavy Swordsman with Fire + Teleportation + Soul Draining + either a Super Armour sort of thing( :4bowser: )or reduced damage from attacks(:4bowserjr:'s Clown Car).
Thinking about it, K.Rool could possibly be able to borrow moves from the likes of Bowser Jr, Bowser and Dedede, yet still be unique

Pakky

Smash Hero
Oh be quiet, that white knight attitude is disgusting. Especially when things are the other way around.

you don't need to add something to the table. Sometimes you can mix things on the table up a little to create something new.
Heavy Swordsman with Fire + Teleportation + Soul Draining + either a Super Armour sort of thing :4bowser: or reduced damage from attacks:4bowserjr:'s Clown Car.
Okay I'm done.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still don't understand why people hate swords. There are a ton of styles of sword play that can be implemented without any similarities to the others. Let's take the two most popular for example.
Isaac - though a sword user, he only has to utilize it in his normal and Smash attacks. Otherwise he would probably use his Psynergy in Djinn.
Takamaru - Takamaru is extremely projectile heavy, to the point that when the Takamaru thread was a thing most of us decided that his sword would be sheathed and only utilized again in his Normal and Smash attacks. Even if he used his Sword for most of his attacks, he's a quick two-handed Katana weilder which is a much different fighting style than what's represented in Smash as of now.

Even after all of that swords are the only other weapon besides fists that Sakurai will really allow. Knives? Off-limits. Guns? Off-limits. It's pretty ridiculous honestly.
Isaac doesn't even have to use swords in his Smash attacks; several Psynergy attacks can be used for those instead. Earthquake could be used for Side or Down, Gaia for Down or Up, and Spire for up or Side (Side could work if Spire is horizontal instead of vertical; in the case of Earthquake a Side would probably shoot characters up instead).

Also, NSG, what are you talking about regarding weapons? Knives and Guns are the ONLY things off-limits. There's potential for Spears, Axes, Cannons (K. Rool's blunderbuss), Maces, Whips, just pure Bombs (Bomberman), etc. We haven't had any of these yet, but that doesn't mean they couldn't ever be used. We do have Hammers (both Dedede and Kirby, mostly Dedede though).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
What does the kind of sword a character uses have to do with being unique?

I mean, it's something to notice aesthetically, but it doesn't sound like it has to do with gameplay when gameplay is what makes a character unique first and foremost.

This is exactly why Robin stands out so much as a sword-user: It's not that he has a unique sword--I mean, it's literally a dinky bronze sword with the occasional Falchion-dipped-in-Pikachu-juice substituting in on occasion--but rather the system in which durability applies to his weapons and causes the need for strategic use of his moves. Playing him feels different than playing as another character. The kinaesthetics that come out of his Levin Sword's Glass Cannon-like fragility are a result of his unique gameplay. Likewise, the sturdiness of Link's Master Sword as a back-up to his heavy use of projectiles, or the focal point of power that exists within Marth's Falchion's tip, or the swiftness of Meta Knight's Galaxia that feels nothing Ike's Ragnell in its heavy, slow approaches. It's not about the swords themselves, but rather what they do in gameplay. Heck, all of these guys could be punching instead of using swords, but would be just as unique from one another if they retained the same attributes in terms of hitbox sizes, power, speed and the works.

What I'm more interested in is not the idea of Takamaru using a katana, but rather, how said katana is used. If he's just a rushdown character that focuses on building up tiny hits like Meta Knight and Sheik, that honestly doesn't sound enticing as another character to add, imo. What would he feel like to play as?
Are you just trying to confirm my point?
You basically spent two paragraphs saying what I said in a sentence. A katana user would be unique because katana techniques are very distinctive.
Quick draw, rapid thrusts, etc. Just look at Mitsurgi from Soulcalibur.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Isaac doesn't even have to use swords in his Smash attacks; several Psynergy attacks can be used for those instead. Earthquake could be used for Side or Down, Gaia for Down or Up, and Spire for up or Side (Side could work if Spire is horizontal instead of vertical; in the case of Earthquake a Side would probably shoot characters up instead).

Also, NSG, what are you talking about regarding weapons? Knives and Guns are the ONLY things off-limits. There's potential for Spears, Axes, Cannons (K. Rool's blunderbuss), Maces, Whips, just pure Bombs (Bomberman), etc. We haven't had any of these yet, but that doesn't mean they couldn't ever be used. We do have Hammers (both Dedede and Kirby, mostly Dedede though).
About your weapons argument, we technically have Bowser Jr's cannon and Mechakoopa if it counts as a bomb, Zamus' whip (of course the character with the most sex appeal gets a whip) and Samus herself has her Morphballbombs. I think a better argument is 'what has been done? What can be expanded on?'

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Are you just trying to confirm my point?
You basically spent two paragraphs saying what I said in a sentence. A katana user would be unique because katana techniques are very distinctive.
Quick draw, rapid thrusts, etc. Just look at Yoshimitsu from Soulcalibur.
*fixed...

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It's not that I hate swords, I just like other weapons too and think they could be cool to play with
Maces are Cool, Axes are cool, spears are cool, Naginata are ESPECIALLY cool because I love the FemPersona 3 Protagonist and Atlus are jerks for completely erasing her but that's for a different discussion

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's not that I hate swords, I just like other weapons too and think they could be cool to play with
Maces are Cool, Axes are cool, spears are cool, Naginata are ESPECIALLY cool because I love the FemPersona 3 Protagonist and Atlus are jerks for completely erasing her but that's for a different discussion
That's my point.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

It is strange, isn't it? All these weapons that can be used but aren't. If Sakurai were to use Axes, Spears, and Maces then why the hell are daggers off limits? It's very strange to me that only Guns that shoot BULLETS (any other gun is free game) and Knives are off limits. I mean I know children could try and play with those weapons and hurt someone but that doesn't really explain everything.

I would kill to have Hector from FE, Bandana Dee, and some mace user to fill those gaps but it just doesn't seem like it's happening. MAYBE BD. Hector? No chance.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It is strange, isn't it? All these weapons that can be used but aren't. If Sakurai were to use Axes, Spears, and Maces then why the hell are daggers off limits? It's very strange to me that only Guns that shoot BULLETS (any other gun is free game) and Knives are off limits. I mean I know children could try and play with those weapons and hurt someone but that doesn't really explain everything.

I would kill to have Hector from FE, Bandana Dee, and some mace user to feel those gaps but it just doesn't seem like it's happening. MAYBE BD. Hector? No chance.
If anything, swords and **** are worse for children because they already try poking eachother's eyes out with plastic swords. Knives, I disagree with Sakurai. Especially as I'm too lazy to rewrite my Anna moveset

I also thought of something for my Anna moveset that I never brought up. A 'Beserk' state. A character is temporarily unable to shield, dodge or roll...At the cost of great buffs. Yay or nay? Whether it's a character who inflicts it on themselves or to others, you decide

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman

I would kill to have Hector from FE, Bandana Dee, and some mace user to feel those gaps but it just doesn't seem like it's happening. MAYBE BD. Hector? No chance.
Apparently realistic rocket launchers and grenades are also fair game :snake:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I get the feeling that a lot of people here haven't seen Bowling for Columbine...Realistic firearms can be a sensitive subject in america when children are involved...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I get the feeling that a lot of people here haven't seen Bowling for Columbine...Realistic firearms can be a sensitive subject in america when children are involved...
See, literally anything can be a serious subject when children are involved, so that doesn't quite work out. For instance. 'Apples are unhealthy' and 'Apples are unhealthy for children'. Which false clickbait title would get more attention?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
See, literally anything can be a serious subject when children are involved, so that doesn't quite work out. For instance. 'Apples are unhealthy' and 'Apples are unhealthy for children'. Which false clickbait title would get more attention?
Apples are a bit different than firearms...I'm not saying it makes sense but this is how the ESRB works because there are a lot of parents that ***** about these sort of things...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Said parents usually whine about how the M rated games they buy for their kids is turning them into swearing and antisocial monsters
They only have their own stupidity to blame....problem is they're too stupid to realise that...

Miikon

Smash Cadet
If we consider firearms dangerous for children because they can kill irl., then eggs with solid matter inside should go under the same category according to the Law of the US of A.
Bye bye :4yoshi: :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom