• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Let's get down to brass tax here what bout dem ice climbers or "Ike clombers" are we gonna see a comeback ?? I certainly hope so !!

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
After looking back on this thread, it seems to be looping around eternally. Is there really any point to continue discussion until the new DLC characters are released?

Morbi

Scavenger
After looking back on this thread, it seems to be looping around eternally. Is there really any point to continue discussion until the new DLC characters are released?
It was the same prior to the game's launch. Basically, different people will come here at a later time to discuss the same stuff that has already been discussed. If you feel as though it is pointlessly redundant, perhaps it is... to you. There is always an audience for this type of thread.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
We need to find a weird retro character that absolutely no one has talked about yet. In the same vein as Wii Fit Trainer.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Well, Excitebike is actually an immensely iconic character. I wanted him in Sm4sh, (granted it was because of Pizzadudemanguy's old videos). I'm talking about really obscure characters that no one has thought of. I had the thought of a Seattle Mariners baseball player be playable (since Nintendo majority owns the Mariners) but it would be too far-fetched.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It was the same prior to the game's launch. Basically, different people will come here at a later time to discuss the same stuff that has already been discussed. If you feel as though it is pointlessly redundant, perhaps it is... to you. There is always an audience for this type of thread.
Oh, we had PoTD.... But that rarely changed the conversation here.

The only thing different was you liking every single post.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
What does a baseball player have to do with obscure retro Nintendo characters? I don't think that'd go over well...
Well, Nintendo has an extensive history with baseball. Dating all the way to the Ultra Machine in 1967. Their Baseball NES game, Earthbound, Home-Run Bat, Rusty's Real n Deal Baseball... Wait, Rusty would fit that bill, he could have a Mariner's alternate costume.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Actually, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't used the Mariners in their games. Something like a Mii Swordfighter outfit or an outfit in Splatoon would be cool.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
It would be pretty profitable too, I wonder if they get any money from those MLB The Show games.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Well, he has been thought of already, and is not too obscure.

Let me actually be helpful.
Character from Warlocked
Satebou & Parabou (Satellaview mascots)
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Space Firebird (represents Nintendo space shooters)

Last edited:

DekuSWEG

Smash Rookie
I know hes already an assist trophy, but thats not enough for me. I will never truly be satisfied until Skull Kid is a playable character. Come on nintendo, make it happen!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I know hes already an assist trophy, but thats not enough for me. I will never truly be satisfied until Skull Kid is a playable character. Come on nintendo, make it happen!
Poor guy couldn't even get into Hyrule Warriors as a playable, instead getting stuck as a part of Young Link's Focus Attack(he gets cut in two)...and to make things worse EVERYONE could perform the one move he's most famous for; bringing the moon down.

Talking of which; why EVEN have Skull Kid as an AT if he doesn't drop the damn moon on the stage? Togepi or Clefairy could easily do everything he currently does using metronome.

What does a baseball player have to do with obscure retro Nintendo characters? I don't think that'd go over well...
Nintendo of America are the owners of the Seattle Mariners. I suppose they're technically an obscure property of Nintendo.

Last edited:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Instead of Mark from Pokemon TCG, why not have a character from Card Hero as a retro rep? For some reason I am opposed to a Hanafuda rep.

D

Deleted member

:4gaw::4rob:and:4duckhunt:confirmed to belong into the "Retro" category.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There was disagreement?
The only "disagreement" was over the argument of "recency" being a factor in all cases except Retro's, because its a stupid argument. Yeah, there's going to be Retro characters, but that doesn't mean they're the only characters who can get into the game that haven't been around recently. In Smash 4 that was largely the case for the most part, but this has never been a factor in the past, and even then there's still characters in-game who haven't been in a new game in some time (Little Mac since 2009, for example).

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I don't know if any of you have already done this. But say your most likely pick for DLC from each series.

Mario: Paper Mario
DK: K.Rool
Zelda: Tetra
Metroid: Mother Brain
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Pokémon: Sceptile
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: Tiki/Azura
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Wario: Young Cricket
Animal Crossing: Mr. Resetti
Punch-Out!! Doc Louis (Maybe 5mash)
Xenoblade: Elma
Retro: Takamaru
Misc: Isaac
Third-Party: Heihachi/Rayman
ATs (Mother Brain, Takamaru) and stage hazards (Kamek) are not very likely....

Mario: Paper Mario
DK: King K. Rool
Zelda: Impa
Metroid: Sylux (there isn't many options left)
Yoshi: none of the viable ones has any demand
Star Fox: Wolf
Pokemon: Pichu, Squirtle or Ivysaur
F-Zero: Black Shadow (see Metroid)
Mother: Porky (see Metroid)
Fire Emblem: Anna
Kid Icarus: Medusa or Hades (see Metroid)
Wario: Mona (see Metroid)
AC: see Yoshi
Punch-Out: see Yoshi
Xenoblade: Elma
Retro: Excitebiker or Mach Rider
Misc.: Isaac
Third-party: Rayman, Bomberman or Snake

I personally don't see Metroid, Yoshi, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Wario, Animal Crossing, Punch-Out, Xenoblade or retro DLC character happening. I also don't see Pokemon, Mother and Fire Emblem getting another one (I don't think that any series will get two DLC reps).

EDIT: Apparently you meant the most wanted pick instead:

Mario: Captain Toad
Zelda: Impa
Metroid: Ridley
Star Fox: Wolf
Pokemon: Gengar
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Earthbound: Porky
Fire Emblem: None, it has enough
Kid Icarus: None, it has enough
Wario: None
AC: None
Punch-Out: Doc Louis (his Final Smash could be clone of Captain Falcon's, except that he rides a bike instead of Blue Falcon :troll:)
Xenoblade: None
Retro: Mach Rider
Misc.: Isaac
Third-party: Black Mage
Are you sure that you don't put the wrong word? XD

Anyway:

Mario: Eh... Unsure
Zelda: (Indifferent)
Metroid: Ridley I think
Kirby: Bandana Dee/Adeleine
Star Fox: (Indifferent)
Pokémon: Unsure
F-Zero: Unsure
Mother: Unsure
Fire Emblem: Micaiah!
Kid Icarus: Unsure
Wario: Ashley
Other: (Indifferent)
Third Party: Unsure

Yeah.. I support few ideas.
tfw everyone forgets about Pikmin. :c

Hm...
What's that sound? I think I hear the sound of a motorbike in the distance...

WHOA, WATCH OUT.
It's Excitebike!
Excitebiker would be really cool. He has a lot of moveset potential just because he's on a bike. Also can you imagine the sick tricks he could have for taunts? :awesome:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
tfw everyone forgets about Pikmin. :c

Excitebiker would be really cool. He has a lot of moveset potential just because he's on a bike. Also can you imagine the sick tricks he could have for taunts? :awesome:
I actually think Louie is a good candidate for 5mash, especially if they make a Pikmin 4. He could use attacks inspired by Titan Dweevil, through Pikpik carrots, other Pikmin creature inspired moves, he could even throw Bulbmin.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Isn't Sakurai's Famitsu column supposed to be up today? Or at least the scans for his column.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah but I think it was mostly just him talking about what a burden Smash is on him.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah but I think it was mostly just him talking about what a burden Smash is on him.
No, that info was leaked from a treehouse guy who had heard some things about the higher-ups in the Nintendo scene. That's not the same thing; as far as I've heard there hasn't been a Famitsu leak/release yet, and I've also heard Sakurai doesn't necessarily have a column -every- week (oddly I heard that he did last week, its really hard to keep track of what's what).

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I actually think Louie is a good candidate for 5mash, especially if they make a Pikmin 4. He could use attacks inspired by Titan Dweevil, through Pikpik carrots, other Pikmin creature inspired moves, he could even throw Bulbmin.
Yeah that's what I would envision Louie as. He actually has a lot of potential. Unfortunately when most people think of Louie, they think of an Olimar clone.

Last edited:

DekuSWEG

Smash Rookie
Poor guy couldn't even get into Hyrule Warriors as a playable, instead getting stuck as a part of Young Link's Focus Attack(he gets cut in two)...and to make things worse EVERYONE could perform the one move he's most famous for; bringing the moon down.

Talking of which; why EVEN have Skull Kid as an AT if he doesn't drop the damn moon on the stage? Togepi or Clefairy could easily do everything he currently does using metronome.

Nintendo of America are the owners of the Seattle Mariners. I suppose they're technically an obscure property of Nintendo.
Ive complained about his assist trophy multiple times, it makes absolutely no sense to me. Having the moon drop would have been a perfect animation for his trophy. Totally agree!

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Let's talk Yoshi characters. The most iconic Yoshi characters that have no connection to the main Mario series (Kamek) are the Stork and Poochy. Stork being the most likely due to more moveset potential using the babies from Yoshi's Island, and is also more iconic than Poochy.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Let's talk Yoshi characters. The most iconic Yoshi characters that have no connection to the main Mario series (Kamek) are the Stork and Poochy. Stork being the most likely due to more moveset potential using the babies from Yoshi's Island, and is also more iconic than Poochy.
The Stork himself is hardly iconic. Baby Mario and to a far lesser extent Baby Luigi and Baby Peach are more known than the stork is. I know the common suggestion is to use Stork in order to get the babies in, but Stork himself is hardly a fan favourite.

Kamek is more reoccurring and important to the overall Yoshi series than Stork, and Poochy appearing on the boxart for Yoshi's Wooly World, is probably now rivaling the Stork in terms of recognisability amongst the public(aka; barely recognised), although again Kamek kicks his butt in terms of importance. Shame he's a stage hazard...thing.

Heck; Shy Guy is probably the most well known character who could be considered a 'Yoshi character' alongside Baby Mario at this point.

If we're going by pure non-Mario related characters iconicness then...well frankly there isn't a standout. That's basically a choice between a NPC who in Yoshi's Island DS becomes what is essentially a question block for you to pick a power up, or a NPC who is basically a moving platform.

Being the most likely (pure) Yoshi character isn't exactly a great credential when it's between two fairly obscure and unpopular choices from all of Nintendo. That's coming from a Yoshi fan too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only "disagreement" was over the argument of "recency" being a factor in all cases except Retro's, because its a stupid argument. Yeah, there's going to be Retro characters, but that doesn't mean they're the only characters who can get into the game that haven't been around recently. In Smash 4 that was largely the case for the most part, but this has never been a factor in the past, and even then there's still characters in-game who haven't been in a new game in some time (Little Mac since 2009, for example).
I think that recency has always been a factor in all Smash games. I personally think that recency generally applies to newcomers that had major roles in games or their respective franchises got new games in the current console generation and/or the previous console generation... but there are few (and I mean, really few) exceptions of the rule.

SSB4 = Wii U, Wii, 3DS, DS
Recent: :4bowserjr::4darkpit::4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::rosalina::4ryu::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit:
Not recent: :4duckhunt: (NES)

Brawl = Wii, GameCube, DS, GBA
Recent: :charizard::dedede::diddy::ike::ivysaur::lucario::lucas::metaknight::olimar::snake::sonic::squirtle::toonlink::wario::wolf::zerosuitsamus:
Not recent: :pit: (NES) :rob: (NES; it could be argued he's recent at the time because of Mario Kart DS but on the other hand, it wasn't a new game in the ROB series)

Melee = GameCube, N64, GBA, Game Boy
Recent: :bowsermelee::drmario::falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee: (look up Game & Watch Gallery 1-4) :peachmelee::pichumelee::roymelee::sheikmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee:
Not recent: :icsmelee: (NES) :marthmelee: (SNES; the sole exception of a "not recent" character from a franchise that is still active)

Smash 64 = N64, SNES, Game Boy
Recent: :dk64::falcon64::fox64::jigglypuff64::kirby64::link64::luigi64::mario64::ness64::pikachu64::samus64::yoshi64:
Not recent: N/A

I think that's why recency is and always will be a contributing factor... it increases the likelihood of a character getting noticed by Smash developers and getting requested by Smash fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom