• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's not so much appealing to casuals, it's ensuring the most sales based on logic. Logically, if you vote for a character, you'll buy that character, so more votes add up to more sales. If you deviate from that in cases that aren't weeding out costly third parties and memes, you're making a business choice with your heart and not your head...it makes little sense to say "this character got way more votes, but I think this one will sell better with the casuals based on absolutely nothing." That's just how I see it.
I agree with this mostly except for one thing; a lot of people are making multiple votes for the same character spread across multiple devices thus spoiling the ballot.

This means that 1 vote =/= 1 sale, as those people who voted for that character multiple times can't buy the character more than once. Maybe twice if they buy the 3DS and Wii U versions seperately but it's unlikely.

That said; on average the more votes should still equal more sales as it would have to be a few very dedicated fans to manage to spoil the ballot in a way extreme enough to swing the overall votes. Whilst not impossible to do, it would be extremely time consuming and that small fan group would have to be excessively dedicated to voting multiple times every single day.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
See this is what i didnt want a dixie argument.
Same reason I don't start a Daisy topic at GameFAQS. An infamous troll at that board is way too known for heading the Daisy topics there, and it's just been arguments all 'round. It doesn't help that some people think Daisy would be a Peach "clone" like Dixie Kong to Diddy Kong as well.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I agree with this mostly except for one thing; a lot of people are making multiple votes for the same character spread across multiple devices thus spoiling the ballot.

This means that 1 vote =/= 1 sale, as those people who voted for that character multiple times can't buy the character more than once. Maybe twice if they buy the 3DS and Wii U versions seperately but it's unlikely.

That said; on average the more votes should still equal more sales as it would have to be a few very dedicated fans to manage to spoil the ballot in a way extreme enough to swing the overall votes. Whilst not impossible to do, it would be extremely time consuming and that small fan group would have to be excessively dedicated to voting multiple times every single day.
This is true, but like you said, in a ballot where millions of votes will be cast, a few extra per a small number of fanatics won't shift the results in any meaningful way. You definitely can't just sit at a computer and vote for the same character over and over again. Otherwise, it's unknown how they'd weed out repeat ballots unless the person just submitted the same write-up (or close to it) twice, because you can't really prove who's casting what votes, but I trust they know that, if over the course of a week, Brash the Bear skyrockets up the results, something is amiss. With the larger fanbases, the multi-voters could also very well cancel each other out, leaving the same few choices to evaluate.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
This is true, but like you said, in a ballot where millions of votes will be cast, a few extra per a small number of fanatics won't shift the results in any meaningful way. You definitely can't just sit at a computer and vote for the same character over and over again. Otherwise, it's unknown how they'd weed out repeat ballots unless the person just submitted the same write-up (or close to it) twice, because you can't really prove who's casting what votes, but I trust they know that, if over the course of a week, Brash the Bear skyrockets up the results, something is amiss. With the larger fanbases, the multi-voters could also very well cancel each other out, leaving the same few choices to evaluate.
and this is why I will never vote a second time despite having a different IP, mac address, network, ISP, location or even computer.

It just isn't making any sense to me. Your vote should worth as much as other if you explained it well in the reason box. Making the same vote twice for me is adding unnecessary value to my vote. I may want paper mario the most here, but it doesn't change the fact that the person next to me who wants another characters would get his votes with less value than mine while both should be equal.

And as for multi characters votes.....well I would still draw a line somewhere. To me, voting for your most wanted ONLY is better than voting for 2 while the second you could live without.

I really don't get why people spam that much considering they will have more trouble to check your votes....anyway.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
...What, I don't remember that
I remember something along the lines of "It's all fanservice from here on"

Three versions of Ridley would be neat But I'd prefer a worthwhile Ridley be included in the first place
Replace the word fanservice with favouritism and the whole meaning changes, apparently. I intended it as the same thing.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Curveball eh?

If said unlikely curveball ended up being Barbara, how many of you will rage? How many will just not care? And how many will be happy?
Personally I'd be firmly in the 'Not care' camp. I don't hate Barbara, I merely have had no exposure to her game making me indifferent. Her fanbase isn't particularly obnoxious, so there's no other reason to dislike her either.

I would still be rather confused why she was selected from the ballot over the larger fanbase picks such as Isaac, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Inklings, etc though, and as a result probably initially annoyed with the decision to choose her over ones people have been asking for before slipping back into 'don't care' territory.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Agreed, I hate Ash in the anime, I think they should have replaced him after the original series. The series is repeating itself because they never change the protagonist.
The Origins anime already proved Red > Ash anyway.

But I digress, Ash never appeared in the games anyway.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ash did actually appear in the intro of Smash 64 (his feet is the only thing that's shown). He was also mentioned in the PKMN trainer's trophy which is kind of stupid if you ask me.

Thank goodness they went with Red instead in Brawl though.

EDIT: NVM I checked back on the intro. It's just a generic trainer that's shown in the intro, not Ash.

Last edited:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if any of you have already done this. But say your most likely pick for DLC from each series.

Mario: Paper Mario
DK: K.Rool
Zelda: Tetra
Metroid: Mother Brain
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Pokémon: Sceptile
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: Tiki/Azura
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Wario: Young Cricket
Animal Crossing: Mr. Resetti
Punch-Out!! Doc Louis (Maybe 5mash)
Xenoblade: Elma
Retro: Takamaru
Misc: Isaac
Third-Party: Heihachi/Rayman

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know if any of you have already done this. But say your most likely pick for DLC from each series.

Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Punch-Out!! Doc Louis
You included ATs. I think 'who you want to see playable' is better

ATs (Mother Brain, Takamaru) and stage hazards (Kamek) are not very likely....

DK: King K. Rool
Zelda: Impa
Metroid: Sylux (there isn't many options left)
Yoshi: none of the viable ones has any demand
Star Fox: Wolf
Pokemon: Pichu, Squirtle or Ivysaur
F-Zero: Black Shadow (see Metroid)
Mother: Porky (see Metroid)
Fire Emblem: Anna
Kid Icarus: Medusa or Hades (see Metroid)
Wario: Mona (see Metroid)
AC: see Yoshi
Punch-Out: see Yoshi
Retro: Excitebiker or Mach Rider
Misc.: Isaac
Third-party: Rayman, Bomberman or Snake

I personally don't see Metroid, Yoshi, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Wario, Animal Crossing, Punch-Out, Xenoblade or retro DLC character happening. I also don't see Pokemon, Mother and Fire Emblem getting another one (I don't think that any series will get two DLC reps).

EDIT: Apparently you meant the most wanted pick instead:

Mario: Captain Toad
Zelda: Impa
Metroid: Ridley
Pokemon: Gengar
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Earthbound: Porky
Fire Emblem: None, it has enough
Kid Icarus: None, it has enough
Wario: None
AC: None
Punch-Out: Doc Louis (his Final Smash could be clone of Captain Falcon's, except that he rides a bike instead of Blue Falcon :troll:)
Xenoblade: None
Retro: Mach Rider
Misc.: Isaac
Third-party: Black Mage

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

We've done this once or twice...once more can't hurt...

these are pretty much 'if I had to' picks...also I put indies under Misc. because reasons...

Mario: 'WAAAA!'
DK: King K.Rool
Zelda: Midna <3
Metroid: Dark Samus
Pokémon: Weavile
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Fire Emblem: Anna/Azura
Wario: Ashley
Punch-Out!!: King Hippo
Misc: Shantae
Third-Party: Banjo & Kazooie

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So it seems very few care about other Nintendo franchises aside from the ones listed above. Most people just want to add a new character under Mario, or Metroid or whatever.

Hey what about other franchises like Chibi Robo, Advance Wars, or Shin Onigashima?

I'd like to see a very diverse roster from all across Nintendo instead of pulling from the same franchises over and over again.

Troykv

Smash Master

Are you sure that you don't put the wrong word? XD

Anyway:

Mario: Eh... Unsure
Zelda: (Indifferent)
Metroid: Ridley I think
Kirby: Bandana Dee/Adeleine
Star Fox: (Indifferent)
Pokémon: Unsure
F-Zero: Unsure
Mother: Unsure
Fire Emblem: Micaiah!
Kid Icarus: Unsure
Other: (Indifferent)
Third Party: Unsure

Yeah.. I support few ideas.

Last edited:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure that you don't put the wrong word? XD

Anyway:

Mario: Eh... Unsure
Zelda: (Indifferent)
Metroid: Ridley I think
Kirby: Bandana Dee/Adeleine
Star Fox: (Indifferent)
Pokémon: Unsure
F-Zero: Unsure
Mother: Unsure
Fire Emblem: Micaiah!
Kid Icarus: Unsure
Other: Indifferent
Third Party: Unsure
Wait what did I do wrong?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I don't find enough characters from series likely to make a list like this.
So, here's my dramatically small list:
:4mario:: Paper Mario
:4dk:: King K. Rool
:4link:: Tetra
:4fox:: Wolf
:4pikachu:: Pichu
:4gaw:: Takamaru
:4pacman:: Rayman/Snake

Everyone else: Nobody

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So it seems very few care about other Nintendo franchises aside from the ones listed above. Most people just want to add a new character under Mario, or Metroid or whatever.

Hey what about other franchises like Chibi Robo, Advance Wars, or Shin Onigashima?

I'd like to see a very diverse roster from all across Nintendo instead of pulling from the same franchises over and over again.
Well there's been a lot of love for Chibi Robo and Advance Wars at least from the one's you listed although character choice is split on the latter between Andy and Sami.
Shin Onigashima is a bit too obscure for the majority of people to get excited for since it's unlikely many had the chance to play it.

Splatoon and Golden Sun are two series that have characters dominating the polls at current with Inklings and Isaac. Strong demand for new series there.

Worth noting that prior to AT status Dillon had a sizable fanbase too with many wanting him as a playable. Starfy and Saki also had decently sized fan groups. Takamaru STILL has a huge fanbase despite being an AT and his game only coming to the west in the past year. Lip also had a lot of fan support until the Lip's Stick returned.

People STILL want Rhythm Heaven support although it's lost a lot of momentum recently in people clamouring for a RH character.

There's plenty of new IP characters people want. They just also want the stragglers from the games that dominate Nintendo since those will more than likely be the one's they grew up with.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I mostly want IPs that people HAVEN'T heard from.

Think about it like this. When Melee was coming out, how many people wanted to see Marth in the game? Almost no one in the western world wanted Fire Emblem characters because no one had ever heard of them. But thanks to Smash, Fire Emblem is known worldwide!

Now imagine what Smash could do for these other obscure franchises!

Smash is like a gateway drug deeper into Nintendo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Think about it like this. When Melee was coming out, how many people wanted to see Marth in the game? Almost no one in the western world wanted Fire Emblem characters because no one had ever heard of them. But thanks to Smash, Fire Emblem is known worldwide!

That's a common thing that would happen for the main game, but extremely unlikely to happen as DLC. I could see maybe one as an extra of Sakurai's interest, but for the most part it'll be the most popular and well known characters not added yet.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Understandable. I get that; it introduced us to FE, AND reintroduced many to Kid Icarus.

But that should be more the main game's job than DLC that's especially created to sell based on popularity.

As the main game: Sakurais adds an unknown > Said IP gets known > People want to see more from that IP.

As the DLC: Sakurai adds an unknown > No one buys the DLC due to not knowing or caring about the character > company presumes no one wants to see anything from that IP due to it selling poorly.

Hence the predicament.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Understandable. I get that; it introduced us to FE, AND reintroduced many to Kid Icarus.

But that should be more the main game's job than DLC that's especially created to sell based on popularity.

As the main game: Sakurais adds an unknown > Said IP gets known > People want to see more from that IP.

As the DLC: Sakurai adds an unknown > No one buys the DLC due to not knowing or caring about the character > company presumes no one wants to see anything from that IP due to it selling poorly.

Hence the predicament.
Well then Sakurai should have added an obscure character to the roster to begin with. I mean, he usually does like in the previous games. But this time he didn't.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Chibi Robo and Advance Wars both get quite a bit of love, another common one being Panel de Pon. At the same time, they are overall less popular, so of course they're not going to get as much attention as the more popular franchises.

Golden Sun is really quite the oddity, since even though its only got a few games, said games have sold better than a lot of other lesser known Nintendo franchises which had even more games. Golden Sun: The Lost Age alone has sold more than the entire Chibi Robo franchise (and depending on how accurate the numbers are, Dark Dawn may even be fairly close).

Advance Wars has a bit more going for it, and its the most common suggested new franchise after Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven.

Well then Sakurai should have added an obscure character to the roster to begin with. I mean, he usually does like in the previous games. But this time he didn't.
He already did. Shulk.

Wii Fit Trainer is also an oddball, too, since no one really considered her, though Wii Fit did sell a lot.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302

DK: King K Rool/Dixie Kong
Zelda: Tetra/Impa
Star Fox: Wolf/Krystal
Retro: Excitebiker
Misc: Karate Joe/Chibi-Robo/Inkling/Isaac
Third-Party: Simon Belmont/Hero & Slime/Black Mage/Rayman

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Retro: Excitebiker
Misc: Karate Joe/Chibi-Robo/Inkling/Isaac
As much as I love the Wrestler, if we get a Rhythm character, it would definitely be Karate Joe imo. He's the mascot of the series from what I can tell, and he's got plenty of potential.
All of those other choices are solid. Not sure if Excitebike is the most likely "retro" sadly. :urg:

Troykv

Smash Master
As much as I love the Wrestler, if we get a Rhythm character, it would definitely be Karate Joe imo. He's the mascot of the series from what I can tell, and he's got plenty of potential.
All of those other choices are solid. Not sure if Excitebike is the most likely "retro" sadly. :urg:
Who do you think is the most likeky?

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm not sure about Shulk. There was a huge petition to get his game over here.
But still he was a obscure option for the non-fans, the people start believe in him probably after the Wii Fit Trainer's reveal because Gematsu.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not sure about Shulk. There was a huge petition to get his game over here.
And despite that it was still niche. He definitely counts, sorry. You're just trying to pass it off so you can maintain your argument. Shulk definitely fits the criteria. Small franchise (hardly can even call it a franchise as it was only one game at the time), very unknown character, there was a petition to get the game over but that petition encompassed THREE games, not just one.

And even though they did get localized, they still didn't do as good as they could've. Xenoblade was decent (almost 1m), but it was still niche and barely anyone in the Smash community knew Shulk's name early on except for a small handful. I saw the name flying around, but I saw a lot of other names flying around as well.

Sakurai just made sure you would know his name, that's all. :D

But still he was a obscure option for the non-fans, the people start believe in him probably after the Wii Fit Trainer reveal because Gematsu.
Shulk wasn't even on the Gematsu leak until just before Greninja was announced.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Obviously everyone is completely wrong the character who will be DLC is My own original character because my dad works at Nintendo and is totally friends with Samamurai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom