• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
How so likeable do you think is the possibility to see a character no so popular? And appears a character choosed more for his/her interesting game-style or another reason.
If you consider paper mario fitting this, good chances, but tbh, I think it is likeable anyway because I really don;t feel they will only check quantity, feasibility and even how natural the character would feel are also to be considered.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
How so likeable do you think is the possibility to see a character no so popular? And appears a character choosed more for his/her interesting game-style or another reason.
I doubt it. They might distinguish between two popular candidates based on who is more interesting but I don't think the ballot winner will really be a curveball.

If you consider paper mario fitting this, good chances, but tbh, I think it is likeable anyway because I really don;t feel they will only check quantity, feasibility and even how natural the character would feel are also to be considered.
Seriously? "Yes if it's my character"?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I suppose that concept would be likable to some.

In terms of likelihood, however, I'd say it's less than likely. The Ballot, Sakurai's comments, and the previous DLC characters themselves all place an emphasis on character popularity as a deciding factor. Adding a character that's not so popular is, frankly, counterproductive at this point. While not impossible, I don't see it as likely.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I doubt it. They might distinguish between two popular candidates based on who is more interesting but I don't think the ballot winner will really be a curveball.

Seriously? "Yes if it's my character"?
......you completely misunderstood.

I think it;s likely anyway, but I wasn't sure if you would count paper mario because to me, he is what I would consider "popular" so I was not sure if you would count him.

.....I don't get how you took it that way :(

Troykv

Smash Master
If is like you say, and only left 2 characters, is unlikeable... But the exact "slots" than left are still a mystery... So... Who knows?

Well, I suppose that concept would be likable to some.

In terms of likelihood, however, I'd say it's less than likely. The Ballot, Sakurai's comments, and the previous DLC characters themselves all place an emphasis on character popularity as a deciding factor. Adding a character that's not so popular is, frankly, counterproductive at this point. While not impossible, I don't see it as likely.
To some you say?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just realized.

Remember when Sakurai said that Lucas and Roy were popular characters from Melee and Brawl respectively?

What if the reason was because he's looking for characters in certain categories?

For example...

Overall popular character: :4mewtwo:(plus that he's a veteran)
Brawl veteran::4lucas:
Melee veteran: :4feroy:
Third Party Character: :4ryu:

What if the remaining ballot characters were simply going to be chosen from a certain type that they are looking for?

For example, let's say that they're interested in...

Zelda Character: Impa
New Series: Isaac
Retro Character: Lip
Another Overall Popular Character: Wolf

Am I on to something here or?
A tually for another overall popular its accually king k rool

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Unexpected/Not very popular characters should only be included in the vanilla roster really. DLC should only be for characters who are highly requested by the fanbase.

onewhospeaks

Smash Rookie
So I am just gonna put all my dlc thoughts here

In a perfect world we get king k rool, (he would work good as another heavy character antagonist and a do rep) sylux, ( another antagonist who is a metroid rep for the butt hurt ridley fans one of which is me) shovel knight( probably one of the most recognizable Indy characters) , and paper mario/issaic ( mostly just because I like these character)

And now something that would be cool but won't happen

black shadow from the f-zero series gets added as a carbon copy of ganondorf and ganondorf gets a moveset that is more cannon

As for who I Would rather not have in Dixie Kong, ( her character design creeps me out for some reason...) bandanna Dee, ( not really a very creative design but a spear character would be different) and any second third party characters ( you know from a franchise already represented to leave room for other third party characters)
Other than that most i wouldn't be unhappy with most other characters.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Unexpected/Not very popular characters should only be included in the vanilla roster really. DLC should only be for characters who are highly requested by the fanbase.
Seems pretty obvious to me but it's nice to see others have a similar mindset about things.

DLC has to sell on it's own merits, and whilst some could argue 'it's Smash DLC, of COURSE everyone will buy it" that mindset will not work on the casual players who, let's be honest; are still the majority of owners of the game.
Sensibly chosen DLC characters will appeal to the widest amount of people.

That said, I'm preparing myself for a worse case scenario where I don't get anyone I personally care about, and hoping that if this does occur at least fairly popular characters do make it onto the roster. If for example Shantae; a character I could not care less about gets in, I will at least be comforted by the fact many people did indeed ask for her.

If for example; Owain; another character I could not care less about gets made as DLC, I will be less impressed due to there clearly being very little demand for the character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's not so much appealing to casuals, it's ensuring the most sales based on logic. Logically, if you vote for a character, you'll buy that character, so more votes add up to more sales. If you deviate from that in cases that aren't weeding out costly third parties and memes, you're making a business choice with your heart and not your head...it makes little sense to say "this character got way more votes, but I think this one will sell better with the casuals based on absolutely nothing." That's just how I see it.

Last edited:

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
@ O onewhospeaks What do you mean when you say that Bandana Dee doesn't have a creative design? I mean, yeah, I guess he looks simple, but... Does that really matter? I mean, look at Mr. Game & Watch, he's literally one solid color.

Personally, I don't think a character's chances are determined by things like that. If a character has potential for a full moveset that stays true to the character and their franchise, and is still important/relevant to said franchise, then I feel they have a chance.

Even if they are incredibly simple in design, they can still bring something new/different to the SSB4 roster. Like you said, Bandana Dee has a spear. This is unlike other characters in the game so far.

Bandana Dee has appeared in multiple recent Kirby titles. In Kirby's Return to Dreamland, he is playable, with multiple attacks that can be used for most of his potential SSB4 moveset. He is also playable in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse... While Meta Knight and Dedede are not. It seems that he's becoming a part of the main Kirby cast at this point.

But, whatever. You can have your own opinion on the character, that's fine. It's just that, as an active Bandana Dee supporter, I wanted to state my thoughts as well.

Anyway... I have been thinking about the ballot, and whether or not the character with the most votes is guaranteed to be added as DLC... I mean, I know popularity is still a pretty important factor in this, but I'm sure there are still limits to what Sakurai and his team can and cannot do... And, the official page for the ballot uses the wording that they'll "consider" making the character into a fighter. It does NOT say that the character with the most votes will win the ballot. So, I feel like the actual ballot "winner" won't be determined by popularity alone, but rather a combination of popularity, potential seen by Sakurai, and technical limitations.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was too busy reading the comments. Spoilers; It escalated fast.

Still, one thing I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know that I read in the comments; they sold Rare for 375 Million and brought Retro for 1 million?

Providing that's genuinely true, I think it's obvious, Tim Stamper, why they didn't buy you back.
Rare was specifically collapsing at the time, plus, before Nintendo sold their shares in Rare Microsoft had already bought 51% of the company, so it didn't matter all that much. (I heard a rumor that Microsoft wanted to buy all of Nintendo, but I'm not sure about that one.)

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
@ O onewhospeaks What do you mean when you say that Bandana Dee doesn't have a creative design? I mean, yeah, I guess he looks simple, but... Does that really matter? I mean, look at Mr. Game & Watch, he's literally one solid color.

Personally, I don't think a character's chances are determined by things like that. If a character has potential for a full moveset that stays true to the character and their franchise, and is still important/relevant to said franchise, then I feel they have a chance.

Even if they are incredibly simple in design, they can still bring something new/different to the SSB4 roster. Like you said, Bandana Dee has a spear. This is unlike other characters in the game so far.

Bandana Dee has appeared in multiple recent Kirby titles. In Kirby's Return to Dreamland, he is playable, with multiple attacks that can be used for most of his potential SSB4 moveset. He is also playable in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse... While Meta Knight and Dedede are not. It seems that he's becoming a part of the main Kirby cast at this point.

But, whatever. You can have your own opinion on the character, that's fine. It's just that, as an active Bandana Dee supporter, I wanted to state my thoughts as well.

Anyway... I have been thinking about the ballot, and whether or not the character with the most votes is guaranteed to be added as DLC... I mean, I know popularity is still a pretty important factor in this, but I'm sure there are still limits to what Sakurai and his team can and cannot do... And, the official page for the ballot uses the wording that they'll "consider" making the character into a fighter. It does NOT say that the character with the most votes will win the ballot. So, I feel like the actual ballot "winner" won't be determined by popularity alone, but rather a combination of popularity, potential seen by Sakurai, and technical limitations.
Selfishly speaking, I hope that's the case.

onewhospeaks

Smash Rookie
@ BlueZard BlueZard
After looking through some threads I can see that he would be a very unique character even though I'm still not a huge fan of the design. I guess its up to the developers to make a character like that stand out a little more (you know compared to the ones you might see in smash run)

I really hope that they actually read the explanation as to why a character should be in instead of just going by popularity alone because people make some pretty good points when speaking of one character or another.

Hopefully we will know the results of the ballot soon! :bee:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
@ BlueZard BlueZard
After looking through some threads I can see that he would be a very unique character even though I'm still not a huge fan of the design. I guess its up to the developers to make a character like that stand out a little more (you know compared to the ones you might see in smash run)
I really hope that they actually read the explanation as to why a character should be in instead of just going by popularity alone because people make some pretty good points when speaking of on me character or another.

Hopefully we will know the results of the ballot soon! :bee:
I don't think anyone is suggesting that popularity is the end-all factor, but the odds are certainly in favor of popular first-party characters with plenty of potential (e.g. little chance of being a clone) who have no real obstacles to being in the game (difficult licensing, difficult to design, having a role in-game, etc.).

Except Wolf (an arguable clone, but also a veteran), all of the top talked about Nintendo characters don't have any real problems, and I'd wager that the characters who do get in will be at LEAST within the top 10, if not the top 5, and most likely the highest requested character would definitely make it in as well and probably the #2 (after that it could be varied more; maybe they'd pick #5 or #9 instead of #3).

onewhospeaks

Smash Rookie
@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman
What exactly is wolf's status at this point, because I've seen a lot of people say "oh yeah wolf is coming back for sure" but I mean are we just assuming he will be back or should we all be voting for him?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What exactly is wolf's status at this point, because I've seen a lot of people say "oh yeah wolf is coming back for sure" but I mean are we just assuming he will be back or should we all be voting for him?
If you want him, vote for him.

Never maintain that anybody is a shoo-in, it doesn't work that way.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wolf is in extremely good position if we've got about 4 characters left as is currently being speculated. If Wolf comes back, that gives us 4 veterans. Then the remaining three characters are popular Nintendo newcomers.

If you want him, vote for him.

Never maintain that anybody is a shoo-in, it doesn't work that way.
But at this point, definitely follow Wintropy's advice. I definitely think we'll get Wolf, but you shouldn't assume he'll be in.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
@ O onewhospeaks I personally don't think Bandana Dee's chances are hurt very much by the Waddle Dee enemies in Smash Run. His blue bandana should be enough to make him visually stand out, as to avoid confusion. And, let's not forget that in Brawl, R.O.B. was introduced as a playable character, but there were also enemy R.O.B.s in the Subspace Emissary. But, I can see why someone might make that assumption.

But I definitely agree that they should read the explanations provided by the voters. Honestly, though, I'd be more surprised if they DIDN'T read them, because what would be the point of including that section in the first place if you won't even read it anyway? :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ O onewhospeaks I personally don't think Bandana Dee's chances are hurt very much by the Waddle Dee enemies in Smash Run. His blue bandana should be enough to make him visually stand out, as to avoid confusion. And, let's not forget that in Brawl, R.O.B. was introduced as a playable character, but there were also enemy R.O.B.s in the Subspace Emissary. But, I can see why someone might make that assumption.

But I definitely agree that they should read the explanations provided by the voters. Honestly, though, I'd be more surprised if they DIDN'T read them, because what would be the point of including that section in the first place if you won't even read it anyway? :)
some people in my knowledge would write not much stuff int he reasons boxes and spam the votes or pretty much spam it with he exact same reasons.

Why not just do like me and write 500 characters and submitting only one votes in an exhaustive manner? My vote worth as much as any other anyway.....

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Yeah, I also only voted once. I don't remember exactly how much I wrote in the explanation, but I believe I tried to fit as many reasons in there as I could.

onewhospeaks

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
@ Wintropy Wintropy
Yeah, I think a lot of people have that mentality of wolf being a gaurentee. It would be a shame to miss out on him because of that

@ BlueZard BlueZard
you know, when the smash ballot first started I had a theory that sakurai just set up the ballot so people would stop emailing him about ridley and goku.:chuckle:

Last edited by a moderator:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
@ MainJPW MainJPW
I think my phone just posted it twice I don't know how to delete it. Im kind of new at this can you help me out?
You can't delete posts, but to be courteous you can tap the "edit" on the bottom of your post and rewrite it to say "double post, please ignore," or something like that.

You can accidentally double post by pressing "post" again while your first post is loading. Just wait for it to properly show up on screen and for the Smash ball loading thingy to go away.

Welcome to Smashboards by the way. Have a nice time here.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's possible we see a "curveball" newcomer in the form of a character that hardcore Smash fans had a very small chance (most third-parties).
Curveball eh?

If said unlikely curveball ended up being Barbara, how many of you will rage? How many will just not care? And how many will be happy?

Last edited:

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I'm completely interrupting this conversation, as I'm new. But has anyone ever thought about a Pokemon Trading Card Game rep? Aka, the main character of the Pokemon Trading Card Game... Game on the GBC known as Mark? I think it could make for a very interesting moveset, involving Energy Cards to unleash deadly attacks, or Trainer Cards as supports. What do you guys think?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sorry if I'm completely interrupting this conversation, as I'm new. But has anyone ever thought about a Pokemon Trading Card Game rep? Aka, the main character of the Pokemon Trading Card Game... Game on the GBC known as Mark? I think it could make for a very interesting moveset, involving Energy Cards to unleash deadly attacks, or Trainer Cards as supports. What do you guys think?
I'd rather just have Yami/Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom