• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
There's always going to be skeptics, even when Roy and Ryu's victory montages were leaked a day before being revealed there were still some people who doubted...

I feel like a lot of people who analyze these leaks to try to disprove are trying to halt the leakers reputation moreso than anything...but to be honest, leaks suck...so I kinda want them to succeed...Ryu would've been the most hype thing if not for the datamining...

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
There's always going to be skeptics, even when Roy and Ryu's victory montages were leaked a day before being revealed there were still some people who doubted...

I feel like a lot of people who analyze these leaks to try to disprove are trying to halt the leakers reputation moreso than anything...but to be honest, leaks suck...so I kinda want them to succeed...Ryu would've been the most hype thing if not for the datamining...
The question is, was there even a way for Nintendo to prevent this? Or at least to stop it from happening again? They should KNOW (or at least I hope they do) by now that the second an update releases the whole thing will be datamined to the smallest code. Unless there simply wasn't a way for that particular update to appear without the data for Roy/Ryu. Bottom line, I hope they've learned to be more careful if possible.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I want saffron city , wolf , ice climbers, new pork city, and the GOD DAMN FAN item back !!!!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The question is, was there even a way for Nintendo to prevent this? Or at least to stop it from happening again? They should KNOW (or at least I hope they do) by now that the second an update releases the whole thing will be datamined to the smallest code. Unless there simply wasn't a way for that particular update to appear without the data for Roy/Ryu. Bottom line, I hope they've learned to be more careful if possible.
Yes.... Don't patch the files into the game!
TBH they should've anticipated this, especially with all the leakage that happen pre-release with Gematsu and the ESRB leak...
I want saffron city , wolf , ice climbers, new pork city, and the GOD DAMN FAN item back !!!!
I forgot the fan was even a thing...that was one of the most trolly items out there as well...

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm gonna miss New Pork. One of the best things about it was the Ultimate Chimera. Mother 3 is nightmare fuel personified.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I like the parasol back, what happened to it?
turned into a jetpack and/or Raccoon ears/tail...

anyways this conversation has me thinking...would there possibly be Item DLC? This is something I haven't seen anyone bring up yet...

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
turned into a jetpack and/or Raccooc ears/tail...

anyways this conversation has me thinking...would there possibly be Item DLC?
I don't think there will be, but I would totally buy it if it was available.

How would that work in online matches, especially? Do DLC items only appear half as much if only half of the players have bought them?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think there will be, but I would totally buy it if it was available.

How would that work in online matches, especially? Do DLC items only appear half as much if only half of the players have bought them?
I'm imagining item DLC would be free.
I don't think anyone would pay to have the flipper randomly appear in matches.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Unless they sold many items in bundles...Perhaps melee items bundle or brawl items bundle...new items, they probably wouldn't cost more than a dollar at most which is how much one separate Mii hat costs, which is pretty much along the same lines...cept the items can actually affect gameplay...

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Wow, I didn't realize so many items were removed! I'm very surprised to see the Red Shell gone. Smash could've had the trio this time around.

I'm glad the fan is gone, I took quite a beating from it... lol

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Wow didn't realize that a new thread was created, well anyway, I hope a direct comes up very soon, because its getting really boring with nothing to look forward to. Also do you guys think that Pious from Eternal Darkness could sell if he was DLC?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Wow didn't realize that a new thread was created, well anyway, I hope a direct comes up very soon, because its getting really boring with nothing to look forward to. Also do you guys think that Pious from Eternal Darkness could sell if he was DLC?
I think that it would sell a bit, but not nearly as well as the previous characters, because I don't think enough people were anticipating him at all or know who he is, but then again, he might have enough of a "WHAT" factor to incense people to purchase it. I doubt he'd sell very well compared to the others though, but I could be wrong.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I think that it would sell a bit, but not nearly as well as the previous characters, because I don't think enough people were anticipating him at all or know who he is, but then again, he might have enough of a "WHAT" factor to incense people to purchase it. I doubt he'd sell very well compared to the others though, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, his appearance alone would get people to check him out, plus there's also the fact of people seeing Pious online and then wanting to get him because they like him, or they want to practice against him. Every pro smasher would buy him for that reason, and may main him if his moveset fits their needs.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah, his appearance alone would get people to check him out, plus there's also the fact of people seeing Pious online and then wanting to get him because they like him, or they want to practice against him. Every pro smasher would buy him for that reason, and may main him if his moveset fits their needs.
That can be said about any character added to DLC though...He's got an interesting appearance but some people may pass simply because they've never heard of him or they don't find him 'kawaii' enough based on usual Nintendo standards...that said I feel like pretty much anything will sell considering a lot of people buy for the sake of completion whether or not they actually like the character...

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I dunno, for these not-as-popular character/franchises, I think they can at most be a Mii costume.

If the popular characters are still left out tho, there must be another group of people disliking on the choice, hating on them like people hating on Dark Pit, saying he(?) is another waste of a slot.

But if you talk about sales, I suppose it will sell normally, but definitely not much as the DLCs so far. Most will just buy him for the sake of complete collection, and not actually going to use him more than a punching bag.

MitchWG

Smash Hero
NNID
kerfuffle14
3DS FC
2767-1245-3854
As a character I want Lloyd. As a stage, I want Great Bay. The Item... Parasol.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I wonder if there was some actual reason why the fan was removed?
Sakurai: "Ugh, the Fan is a bit OP, we'll remove that one to perserve the best balance for the item Free For All on Great Cave Offensive meta like I want it dang it.
Soo yeah, the fan is definitely too OP.
Ooh boy, time to work on the Gust Bellows, Daybreak and Beetle, those items don't make themselves."

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
THE FAN ruled so hard !!! final destination , kirbeh onleh, just fans WOOOWEE what a good time ! Seriously it's fun :) my current troll item that I only put on is : mewtwo only any omega stage, launch rate 0.5, BEES ONLY

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
turned into a jetpack and/or Raccoon ears/tail...

anyways this conversation has me thinking...would there possibly be Item DLC? This is something I haven't seen anyone bring up yet...
Item itself is something too subtle to be a DLC... If there happens to be item addition, I think it will just be added right into the game without needing to download.
If Sakurai even felt the need, tho.
Probably the same reason as why Wolf got cut: No reason.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sakurai was not a fan of it.

Wolf on the other hand... I am not sure why he was not included along with Lucas and Roy.
Lower priority.

Sakurai doesn't like to cut any veterans, but he'd rather have a newcomer than a returning veteran, and so would his dev. team. After all, we wouldn't have Bowser Jr. If they didn't prioritize newcomers in late development.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I was talking with a few of my friends yesterday while playing Smash 4 about character selection as far as who gets in. I am probably the most into Smash speculation, as I'm the only one who follows it on sites like this. We discussed the good and the bad of character suggestions.

When we talk about characters, we need to think about the reality of it...Super Smash Bros. is a video game that brings stars of the video game industry (mainly Nintendo) together for a party game at heart, with a competitive edge. The game works as two mediums. It's clearly a party game (I mean come on...think about how much we have to get rid of for it to be competitive) but IT CAN BE competitive at the same time. I love both aspects of it.

With character selection...I think a lot of fans forget something. It's kind of like a relationship. The beauty of the prospect is what gets us interested, but the personality or implementation can make or break it. Or in Smash terms, the idea gets us interested, but the history and "merit" (beauty) of a character means nothing if the gameplay (personality) sucks.

When we talk about characters, we should talk about what keeps us interested. The gameplay. Just, stop talking about , "Ermagherd, look at all this merit!". Those days are gone. In Brawl, Diddy, Dedede and Wario had merit to get in...mainly because they're Diddy Kong, King Dedede and Wario. Those days are gone. The biggest prospect for a newcomer in Smash 5 is essentially Inklings...who come from a game that JUST came out.

Just from looking at Smash 4 and the newcomers, the characters were picked for varying reasons. It came between well...popularity, relevance and unique gameplay. :4duckhunt: (unique gameplay/retro) :4robinm:(Unique gameplay over boring Chrom, from latest Fire Emblem):rosalina:(relevant Mario character, unique gameplay) :4palutena:(I doubt she'd be included if not for Uprising, unique gameplay w/custom moves, popular choice):4littlemac:(popular pick, unique gameplay, arguably relevant because of Wii release):4shulk:(relevant game, unique gameplay, decently popular):4pacman:(he's Pac-Man, unique gameplay, is essentially always relevant because he's Pac-Man) :4wiifit:(arguably an off the wall character, unique gameplay, relevant because of the titan that is Wii Fit):4greninja:(relevant generation of Pokemon, unique gameplay) :4megaman: (popular request, unique gameplay):4villager:(Animal crossing is a popular series, unique gameplay) :4bowserjr:(relevant character, had good amounts of support, unique gameplay) The clones were for irrelevant reasons, so I'm not going into that.

So when we're talking about characters, we need to define certain words. To me, RELEVANCE can mean several things. When we say that "X character is relevant..." what are they relevant to? If they are relevant to contemporary Nintendo, then that is also the same argument as recency. If recency does not go hand in hand with popularity, then it hardly matters imo.

So for example, Duck Hunt is relevant to classic Nintendo, Rosalina is relevant to recent Mario, Pac-Man is relevant to gaming as a whole, Greninja is relevant to the new Pokemon, and K.Rool is relevant to classic Donkey Kong Country. What gets them into Smash is this sort of thing, paired with other positives...and time.

I personally think sales and other boring stats are dumb to talk about. As far as viability of being picked, we should talk about a few things.

1) If they are the main character of the series, and the series sells well (and is not represented) then that could raise their chances. It can basically be sales = popularity...kind of. Think Inklings. I would argue that using SMG sales to argue for Rosalina is irrelevant because the game was bought because it's a MARIO game. Rosalina is a popular character on her own though, and presented unique gameplay opportunities. Sales do not always equate to popularity.

2) Gameplay abilities can get you in depending on what your competition is, or how viable you are. For example, Chrom may have gotten in if Sakurai didn't care about unique and new things. But Robin won out because he's got what it takes to be something new and FUN TO PLAY. Adversely, Alph COULD HAVE been a character on his own, but technical issues could have certainly gotten in his way.

3) Sakurai still has his own criteria, such as series balance. His idea of series balance is not the same as ours, however. To some, having as many Mario characters/Pokemon characters as we do is an atrocity when compared to Kirby. But he may feel like things are well off as they are. For the devil's advocate response of Fire Emblem having 5 characters, it would have only had three if Lucina hadn't been added in. Roy got in mainly because of his popularity with his fans...showing that Sakurai is going to add characters for different reasons regardless of silly "ERMAGHERD THIS SERIES HAS TOO MUCH CHARACTERS!!111!" reactions. He adds things the fans want, or adds extra stuff as a present. Roy got in because fans wanted it, and Lucina (as well as Doc and Dark Pit) were extras. Instead of being whiny about it, we should appreciate that characters were added instead of tossed aside.

To continue (yes, I realize this is a long post) we fans think we have all the coolest ideas. But it's not always so much of "unique gameplay = good idea" as much as "conceivably balanced unique gameplay concept= good idea". Everybody thinks they have a great idea, but plenty of those same ideas are overpowered or not as unique as we think. The moves they perfom are only a part of that...what's more important is how they use them, and if they ARE FUN TO PLAY AS AND USE. IF IT'S NOT FUN, IT'S NOT WORTH IT. This IS a game that people buy to...have fun with, you know.

But that's my latest blurb. Have fun with it lol.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Probably because it was so fast that if a lot of players are using one that it lags the game. It did this in Brawl in four player matches so I can't imagine how it would be in eight unless they significantly slowed down its slapiness. It was especially notorious for slow down if it was used in online matches.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Wolf, I wonder what he's going to look like in Star Fox Zero....

Will he be like an upgrade of his Brawl design like how Fox and Falco are of theirs? Or will he be closer to his 64 design?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
To be fair, when leaks come out on a practically daily basis during such times, it's only natural even those that are eventually proven to be genuine articles are looked upon with suspicion.
Need I support this post with evidence?

Skepticism should be oir default at this point.

Speaking of Wolf, I wonder what he's going to look like in Star Fox Zero....

Will he be like an upgrade of his Brawl design like how Fox and Falco are of theirs? Or will he be closer to his 64 design?
Let's see...

Wolf basicly had no 64 design. He had a regular eyepatch, and orange/brown shoulders.

So perhaps a mixture between those colors and his Brawl/Assault design. That seems likely.

NateCurtis(NJC)

Smash Apprentice
TOP 5 CHARACTER'S I WANT IN SMASH AS DLC.
#5. BANDANA DEE
#4.CAPTAIN TOAD
#3.TAILS OR KNUCKLES
#2.SHANTAE
#1.GENO:grin:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I always felt the whole "will the character be unique?" argument was bull.

Characters are unique as the developers want to make them. Almost any character could have a cool or unique moveset.

Look at what they did with Duck Hunt. He could have just been a dog who bites and claws at you. But look, they came up with the idea to have an off screen shooter. And a include other light gun games too.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I always felt the whole "will the character be unique?" argument was bull.

Characters are unique as the developers want to make them. Almost any character could have a cool or unique moveset.

Look at what they did with Duck Hunt. He could have just been a dog who bites and claws at you. But look, they came up with the idea to have an off screen shooter. And a include other light gun games too.
That's true, to some extent. Just about any character can be made unique, but some characters have less obvious potential for it.

NateCurtis(NJC)

Smash Apprentice

If you're willing to explain why you want them then do so. This is a Discussion thread after all.
lol to be honest I didn't really understand why I had capital letters on in the first place.:laugh: and I guess I will explain all my character's in order.
Geno: I have been wanting geno to be a playable character ever since I found out about him and he's been my fav mario character ever since,and geno's attacks in super mario rpg could be pulled right out of the game and could be made as his moveset, and if Sakurai and the super smash bros community gave wii fit trainer a chance, I'm pretty sure they could give geno a chance.
Shantae: Shantae would be a great character in smash bros and she would give the smash fan's plenty of fan service.:laugh:
Knuckles or Tails: we should have another sega character since sonic has been in 2 smash bros games and mega man just came and we have 2 capcom character's
Captain Toad:HE'S SO CUTE
Bandana Dee:I needed a fifth character:laugh:lol but HE'S SO CUTE TOO

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Gameplay is not the end-all, be-all and should not be viewed as such. A sizable chunk of players, myself included, don't get hyped over the prospect of Smash newcomers because "OMG I can go to tournaments and use XYZ new moves to win money matches in new ways!" At the end of the day, it's still fundamentally "hit foe until foe dies." No, fans get hyped because they want to take a favorite character and play with them in what is essentially a massive Nintendo-themed sandbox, unlike any other.

How many character threads nowadays can you enter and see people say "I don't care if so and so is bottom tier or not super unique, just having them in the game would make me so happy"? Does anyone really think Mewtwo became the game's most requested because of his Melee gameplay? Of course, we all want to believe that our favorite characters can use the ideas we brainstorm for them or can get the publicity that tournament wins can provide. But those are simply small bonuses in a game that, at its core, has always been about Nintendo's series crossing over, and that would have withered and died had it remained Dragon King, the fighting game with Smash's gameplay and faceless wireframes as characters.

I'm getting tired of seeing all the competitive gameplay complaints in the world get blanket acceptance, but anything relating to the roster dismissed as whiny/entitled/buzzwords or as a casual distraction. Just because Sakurai has lowered the bar for newcomer importance in favor of moveset gimmicks doesn't mean we have to agree and modify our desires accordingly.

Last edited:

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
Gameplay is not the end-all, be-all and should not be viewed as such. A sizable chunk of players, myself included, don't get hyped over the prospect of Smash newcomers because "OMG I can go to tournaments and use XYZ new moves to win money matches in new ways!" At the end of the day, it's still fundamentally "hit foe until foe dies." No, fans get hyped because they want to take a favorite character and play with them in what is essentially a massive Nintendo-themed sandbox, unlike any other.

How many character threads nowadays can you enter and see people say "I don't care if so and so is bottom tier or not super unique, just having them in the game would make me so happy"? Does anyone really think Mewtwo became the game's most requested because of his Melee gameplay? Of course, we all want to believe that our favorite characters can use the ideas we brainstorm for them or can get the publicity that tournament wins can provide. But those are simply small bonuses in a game that, at its core, has always been about Nintendo's series crossing over, and that would have withered and died had it remained Dragon King, the fighting game with Smash's gameplay and faceless wireframes as characters.

I'm getting tired of seeing all the competitive gameplay complaints in the world get blanket acceptance, but anything relating to the roster dismissed as whiny/entitled/buzzwords or as a casual distraction. Just because Sakurai has lowered the bar for newcomer importance in favor of moveset gimmicks doesn't mean we have to agree and modify our desires accordingly.
To be fair, the quality of the gameplay affects the entire fanbase, not just the competitive players - after all, we PLAY as the characters too.
Also, I kinda disagree with you here. I definitly think popularity is important, but I also believe that adding some more obscure and unpopular picks is not a bad idea. It shakes the roster a bit and introduces people to some really interesting characters and frachises - I, for one, would hane never played Earthbound if it wasn't for Ness in smash.
As one last note: what do you consider as a "moveset gimmick". All of the unique moves each newcomer non-clone has to offer seems to be a crucial part f their playstyles, and not something useless that was trown at their moveset "cuz uniqness" - but, of course, that is just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom