• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So.

Here's an interesting question.

Out of all the single rep Nintendo series...

Do you think they would ever get a second character, who would that character be and list them in how likely you think that character appearing some time in the future is.
Complicated question.

To clarify, the single rep series are...

:4gaw: (Game and Watch)
:4littlemac::4wiremac:(Punch Out!!)
:4duckhunt: (Duck Hunt)
:4rob: (Gyromite/Stack Up)
:4falcon:(F-Zero)
:4villager::4villagerf:(Animal Crossing)
:4olimar::4alph:(Pikmin)
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:(Wii Fit)
:4shulk:(Xenoblade)
Animal Crossing - I think Isabelle is the likely candidate out of the series.
Punch Out - Not sure. Maybe King Hippo?
Duck Hunt - Not sure.
Gyromite - Unsure
Xenoblade - Either Fiora or Elma
Pikmin - Unsure.
Wii Fit - Unsure.
G & W - Unsure
F-Zero - Black Shadow.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Chrom has a shield, can wield lances in addition to a sword, bears the power of five magical gemstones, is blessed with the power of Naga, has a very distinctive body type and, most importantly, is a different character than the other Lords.

Sure, most Lords do the same thing on an essential level, but there's plenty that could be done to make Chrom a fun and dynamic character. The fact is that Robin is just inherently more interesting. Doesn't mean Chrom has to be dull as dishwater. Just means Robin is the better character in Smash.

So.

Here's an interesting question.

Out of all the single rep Nintendo series...

Do you think they would ever get a second character, who would that character be and list them in how likely you think that character appearing some time in the future is.
Complicated question.

To clarify, the single rep series are...

:4gaw: (Game and Watch)
:4littlemac::4wiremac:(Punch Out!!)
:4duckhunt: (Duck Hunt)
:4rob: (Gyromite/Stack Up)
:4falcon:(F-Zero)
:4villager::4villagerf:(Animal Crossing)
:4olimar::4alph:(Pikmin)
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:(Wii Fit)
:4shulk:(Xenoblade)
From most to least likely:

1. Xenoblade: Protagonist of the newest game
2. Animal Crossing: Isabelle or Tom Nook
3. Pikmin: Alph or protagonist from newest game (if that happens)
4. F-Zero: Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow (doubtful about F-Zero getting a second rep unless it's revived)
5. Wario: Mona, Ashley, 9-Volt or Captain Syrup (doubtful about Wario getting a second rep)
6. Yoshi: Kamek (Sadly, I don't see Yoshi getting a second rep either)
7. Punch-Out: King Hippo or Doc Louis? (don't see Punch-Out getting a second rep)

Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt and Wii Fit don't really have anyone else to add.

EDIT: Added Wario and Yoshi series.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
"Chrom's boring! There are so many better characters!"

"Add Lucina! She'd be unique, unlike Chrom!"

>Lucina gets added
>am become clone...so exactly what people said Chrom would be

"ERMAGHERD SO COOL! SUCH WOW! UNIQUE CHARACTER!"

If you're going to be fine with Lucina, then lay off on Chrom. Double standards everywhere.

I like Lucina and I'm glad she's in the game. She wouldn't be in the game otherwise. It wasn't a matter of making her more unique than she is, it was adding her or not adding her. Same for Dark Pit and Doc. It was never an option. Those three are there as an EXTRA dessert after the feast that is the final roster.

I get annoyed when people complain or say they're a waste. You wouldn't get a different character. You wouldn't have gotten anything if those clones you hate so much weren't added.

They literally could have added Chrom as a diversified Ike and it would have been the same thing as Lucina. I feel like its a contradiction on Sakurai's part. Chrom is boring, but Lucina is super amazing so she can just be a clone.

I'm not complaining, because I enjoy Lucina. I just question that logic.

On one hand, I agree that she's the better choice because of her gender. But the thought of a slightly adjusted Ike seems interesting to me as well. Gameplay wise, I would argue that Chrom shows a more interesting dynamic instead of having 3 Marth's (more or less). Again, I'm not complaining. I enjoy Lucina and Roy. Roy especially. But the logic behind it is questionable.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

>Lucina gets added

If you're going to be fine with Lucina, then lay off on Chrom. Double standards everywhere.

I like Lucina and I'm glad she's in the game. She wouldn't be in the game otherwise. It wasn't a matter of making her more unique than she is, it was adding her or not adding her. Same for Dark Pit and Doc. It was never an option. Those three are there as an EXTRA dessert after the feast that is the final roster.

I get annoyed when people complain or say they're a waste. You wouldn't get a different character. You wouldn't have gotten anything if those clones you hate so much weren't added.

They literally could have added Chrom as a diversified Ike and it would have been the same thing as Lucina. I feel like its a contradiction on Sakurai's part. Chrom is boring, but Lucina is super amazing so she can just be a clone.

I don't see it as a contradiction. Sakurai never said Chrom was clone material, and he never said Lucina was unique or interesting. He planned her as a costume and gave her one minuscule difference to differentiate her from Marth. That's really about it.

Chrom has a shield, can wield lances in addition to a sword, bears the power of five magical gemstones, is blessed with the power of Naga, has a very distinctive body type and, most importantly, is a different character than the other Lords.

Sure, most Lords do the same thing on an essential level, but there's plenty that could be done to make Chrom a fun and dynamic character. The fact is that Robin is just inherently more interesting. Doesn't mean Chrom has to be dull as dishwater. Just means Robin is the better character in Smash.
Marth has a shield (he just doesn't wield it in battle), and Lucina could've wielded Lances as well, and Ike could've wielded Axes. Five magical gemstones? Marth also has those.

Chrom literally just wields everything Marth did thousands of years prior. Yeah, he CAN get a Lance, but again, so could've Lucina. And Ike could've had an Axe. The FE characters are simply always focused around their main weapon in Fire Emblem.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

>Lucina gets added

To be honest, I detested Lucina in the game because I didn't want her to be the Awakening rep because she WOULD be a clone of Marth and I was right but what made me accept her is that Robin was the sole FEA rep and she was extra.

The issue with Chrom isn't that he wouldn't be unique or that he could have been a revamped Ike is that what can he do that :4marth:&:4myfriends: can't do. Giving him lances and axes wouldn't be any special because why not add Hector or Ephraim. He is a different character but he doesn't do anything that makes him special or stand out like most sword fighters. :4shulk: Literally has stances and insane range with his sword that makes him insanely different from the likes of :4marth::4link:& even :4metaknight:.

That's my main issue, he doesn't stand out as a fighter.

D

Deleted member

*Sighs*
This point again.

Let's look into what got Chrom looked over and what got Lucina in, shall we?

Chrom:
-Was meant to be his own character from the start. Newcomers were evaluated by their uniqueness.
-Wasn't seen as anything special in comparison to Robin, only as another regular swordsman like Marth and Ike. (i.e. not a clone of them; just not unique in comparison)

Lucina:
-Was meant to be a palette swap/alt costume of Marth. This is where the similarities helped.
-Was given a slightly different property (strength is equal throughout blade instead of having a strong point at the tip) and later made into a separate character due to said property to avoid discrepancies between using regular Marth vs. "Lucina Marth".

There is no contradiction.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem representation is pretty good if you look at it from the perspective of all the platforms Fire Emblem has appeared on. Marth represents NES, SNES, Roy represents GBA, Ike represents GCN/Wii, and Robin/Lucina represent 3DS.

D

Deleted member

Marth also represents DS.

Don't forget the remakes to his games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't see it as a contradiction. Sakurai never said Chrom was clone material, and he never said Lucina was unique or interesting. He planned her as a costume and gave her one minuscule difference to differentiate her from Marth. That's really about it.

Marth has a shield (he just doesn't wield it in battle), and Lucina could've wielded Lances as well, and Ike could've wielded Axes. Five magical gemstones? Marth also has those.

Chrom literally just wields everything Marth did thousands of years prior. Yeah, he CAN get a Lance, but again, so could've Lucina. And Ike could've had an Axe. The FE characters are simply always focused around their main weapon in Fire Emblem.
Well then riddle me this. Sure, Lucina works as a costume for Marth. But what stopped Chrom from being the same thing, just for Ike? It's still the same logic.

Anything anybody says about Lucina is still applicable to Chrom. Besides their gender being different. Lucina was a costume and that's why she's in. But surely, the situation could be fitted for Chrom. The point is that it's hypocritical to say that one can't be unique, then add another who is anything but unique, to be fair. That's all my point is.

Just because Sakurai didn't say it doesn't mean it couldn't happen or isn't possible. I would argue he contradicted himself.

I believe some people are missing my point. I will explain a little more in detail later on. I'm currently at work.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Personally I don't think Roy is any better than Chrom, really. Though I guess Chrom is a bit more annoying because he even uses the same sword as Marth (well, the blade, anyway; the hilt has been replaced many times over the years). Roy's only real "unique" attribute is the fire thing, which is probably what you mean.
- Has a rushdown playstyle as opposed to Marth's spacing playstyle
- Sword is powerful at it's blade as opposed to Marth's sword being powerful at it's tipper.
- Fire properties to make himself unique from other swordsmen on the roster.

Sorry but I completely disagree with that statement.

Well then riddle me this. Sure, Lucina works as a costume for Marth. But what stopped Chrom from being the same thing, just for Ike? It's still the same logic.
Not really. Lucina is an alt turned clone that took absolutely 0 attention away from other characters were as Chrom would have took some time and would essentially be another plain swordsmen on the roster. She also has the novelty of being a female on the roster which made her sorta unique in a way.

As for Chrom being a pure Ike clone, that just wouldn't mesh well. Especially given that FE already has 1 pure clone character and the complaints people have regarding FE characters on the roster.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
But Chrom did have Aether in his game. I never understand why they went out of the way to say this.
Aether in Awakening (Just a combo of a Sol strike followed by Luna. Nothing overly flashy) doesn't function like Ike's Aether (throw sword in air and bring it down on some poor schmuck) which is what she meant by Aether "Recovery"

If Chrom (or Lucina) were to have Aether it'd be a dash in a certain direction similar to Ike's Quick Draw.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Well, since Im the one who started this whole Chrom argument.. for like the billionth time, i may as well ask this
Can someone please explain why they bothered to include him as…this?

I just don't get why they decided to make him as a mii costume because it doesn't exactly..appeal at all to Chrom fans. I'm left thinking, hmm, theyre not willing to make a movesert for him as a DLC character but they'll make him as a costume for a mii while using that move set? that doesn't make any sense to me..

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
I think the main factor that makes Chrom unviable as a costume for Ike is the sheer difference between the two characters. The Falchion is the same one Lucina wields, which in term is used with the same speed and precision Marth is. For Chrom to emulate Ike's moveset with that when Ragnell is, and I quote SmashWiki on this, "a two-handed sword, [Ike] can wield it with only one as a testament to his strength", would seem a weird for Chrom to replicate to the exact same effect. He would have to be using Marth's swift blade at a sluggish speed and with much more force to get the same effect as Ike's two-handed sword, which doesn't make sense compared to how Chrom fights in Awakening.

Does that help answer your question any?

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The problem is that Chrom was, from what we know, scrapped because he wasn't unique enough compared to the others. Robin was chosen over him because the Avatar had more potential. Chrom's movepool still feels very similar to Marth and Ike, being a descendant of the former and a similar build to the latter. He could have worked as a clone, but at the same time, it wouldn't do the character justice. He may be built like Ike, but his fighting style and weapon come from Marth. It's not as faithful to the character to make him an Ike skin/clone IMO, but at the same time, he has too many unique moves to be compared to Marth as well.

I guess the reason why Chrom isn't a Ike clone / costume is because it'd be really unfaithful to the character, since the two have no true similarities in fighting style or any connection between them besides body type (then again, that worked for Ganondorf) and he's not able to fit Marth's moves easily like Lucina or Roy do. The result is Chrom being stuck as a character who can't offer much for a new playstyle, yet still has too many unique traits to be a clone or semi-clone.

Either way, I do think that Chrom has it hard, considering he's the butt of all of the jokes in Robin's Guidance, and was **** on every chance they had in the trailer. I don't think he's a great choice for DLC, but there's certainly quite a bit he could do different from the other FE characters, I think maybe SMTxFE could give Chrom new abilities that would give him more unique traits. Besides, that design would be gucci in Smash. :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, since Im the one who started this whole Chrom argument.. for like the billionth time, i may as well ask this

I just don't get why they decided to make him as a mii costume because it doesn't exactly..appeal at all to Chrom fans. I'm left thinking, hmm, theyre not willing to make a movesert for him as a DLC character but they'll make him as a costume for a mii while using that move set? that doesn't make any sense to me..
Sure; it's a booby prize.
Dev 1: "Chrom has a lot of fans, but Sakurai says he can't find a way to make him unique or stand out. His fans will be disappointed they can't play as him."
Dev 2: "Why don't we allow the Mii's to at least pay homage to him by donning his outfit?"
Dev 1: "It's not ideal, but hopefully people will appreciate this as an apology wooden spoon prize."

Except of course, no one is satisfied with this outcome. Ain't that right, K. Rool fans?

Well he is still a pretty popular character. . .but being a final smash pretty much makes t impossible and he certainly wouldnt be a full character. At least it's Something. a really well made costume at that.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
He mentioned somewhere that he had tried to get Ridley to work, but couldn't do it sometime during Smash 4's development; I don't remember where, exactly.

So that basically confirms he's a cut character.
No Sakurai never said that there was never a "We tried to make him playable but he didn't work" it was
" I thought he'd work better as a boss, clearly this boss is a good representation of Ridley"
Which would be really laughable if it wasn't such a huge gut punch

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
*Sighs*
This point again.

Let's look into what got Chrom looked over and what got Lucina in, shall we?

Chrom:
-Was meant to be his own character from the start. Newcomers were evaluated by their uniqueness.
-Wasn't seen as anything special in comparison to Robin, only as another regular swordsman like Marth and Ike. (i.e. not a clone of them; just not unique in comparison)

Lucina:
-Was meant to be a palette swap/alt costume of Marth. This is where the similarities helped.
-Was given a slightly different property (strength is equal throughout blade instead of having a strong point at the tip) and later made into a separate character due to said property to avoid discrepancies between using regular Marth vs. "Lucina Marth".

There is no contradiction.
We have no evidence he was "meant" to be his own character, its all speculation. The only evidence we have is he was briefly considered and quickly turned down. And please don't cite Source Gaming, that's a pure speculation piece and means jack crap.

Anything anybody says about Lucina is still applicable to Chrom. Besides their gender being different. Lucina was a costume and that's why she's in. But surely, the situation could be fitted for Chrom. The point is that it's hypocritical to say that one can't be unique, then add another who is anything but unique, to be fair. That's all my point is.

Just because Sakurai didn't say it doesn't mean it couldn't happen or isn't possible. I would argue he contradicted himself.

I believe some people are missing my point. I will explain a little more in detail later on. I'm currently at work.
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
I think the main factor that makes Chrom unviable as a costume for Ike is the sheer difference between the two characters. The Falchion is the same one Lucina wields, which in term is used with the same speed and precision Marth is. For Chrom to emulate Ike's moveset with that when Ragnell is, and I quote SmashWiki on this, "a two-handed sword, [Ike] can wield it with only one as a testament to his strength", would seem a weird for Chrom to replicate to the exact same effect. He would have to be using Marth's swift blade at a sluggish speed and with much more force to get the same effect as Ike's two-handed sword, which doesn't make sense compared to how Chrom fights in Awakening.

Does that help answer your question any?
God Robert's Cousin answered it quite well.

Chrom has a SIMILAR build to Ike, but he uses Marth's weapon and equipment, and would, in theory, have a closer fighting style to Marth than to Ike. He's the definition of "between Marth and Ike." Lucina has everything Chrom has, but she even disguises herself as Marth in Awakening, and Marth's DLC uses Lucina's animations.

- Has a rushdown playstyle as opposed to Marth's spacing playstyle
- Sword is powerful at it's blade as opposed to Marth's sword being powerful at it's tipper.
- Fire properties to make himself unique from other swordsmen on the roster.

Sorry but I completely disagree with that statement.
My point is that Chrom wouldn't be any different from Roy. Chrom has things he can add that differentiates him as well, but if he was created, he'd only just be a middle ground between Ike and Marth. That's exactly what Roy is.

But Chrom did have Aether in his game. I never understand why they went out of the way to say this.
Aether in Awakening (Just a combo of a Sol strike followed by Luna. Nothing overly flashy) doesn't function like Ike's Aether (throw sword in air and bring it down on some poor schmuck) which is what she meant by Aether "Recovery"

If Chrom (or Lucina) were to have Aether it'd be a dash in a certain direction similar to Ike's Quick Draw.
This, pretty much. Chrom doesn't have an Aether RECOVERY. Not only that, but Chrom's Aether is identical to Ike's Quick Draw, except Chrom just uses it twice. (Which is what Ike does, too; he does the throw and doesn't do the second attack.)

Although, @ Schnee117 Schnee117 , Aether is identical in function in both games. Its an attack of Sol followed by Luna. The different between it in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and Awakening is primarily due to the fact the fighting style of the character's. Ike is essentially a mercenary class made into a Lord. Ranger is just Mercenary, and his Lord is a variation on Hero. In Radiant Dawn he even starts in the Hero class and gets Axes upon promotion to Vanguard.

In past games, especially the GBA titles, Heroes throw their sword/axe when they critical, then jump back into place. Ike's Aether is basically that; he throws his sword/axe for Sol, then jumps back up for the second slash which is Luna and lands back in his place.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Personally I don't think Roy is any better than Chrom, really. Though I guess Chrom is a bit more annoying because he even uses the same sword as Marth (well, the blade, anyway; the hilt has been replaced many times over the years). Roy's only real "unique" attribute is the fire thing, which is probably what you mean.
I never had any real issue against Chrom or Roy being in for much of pre-Smash speculation. I figured Chrom could have been the Wolf to Ike's Fox.

As for Chrom being a pure Ike clone, that just wouldn't mesh well. Especially given that FE already has 1 pure clone character and the complaints people have regarding FE characters on the roster.
Pretty sure the suggestion was based on the hypothetical scenario where Chrom was chosen as an alt of Ike for the initial Smash 4 roster and then upgraded, like Lucina was. Then again in this scenario, Chrom would be in the exact same situation as Lucina was, bringing nothing new gameplay-wise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't you think we should stop the Chrom debates for now?

Well....at least we are not talking about the Chrous Kids-----OH GOD I JUST HAD TO MENTION THEM WHY?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Well....at least we are not talking about the Chrous Kids-----OH GOD I JUST HAD TO MENTION THEM WHY?
You just set everyone off. I blame you for the Chorus Kid debate that is to follow.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

NO.
NO.
NO.
One no per kid. NO. Forgot the conductor.

Let's talk about Paper Mario instead. It's been a while since he's been brought up. How would everyone feel if we got a third, but unique Mario?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

For added nostalgia for a beloved point of Smash speculation, we should debate whether or not Roy or Chrom is more interesting/deserving of being in Smash!

:troll:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
For added nostalgia for a beloved point of Smash speculation, we should debate whether or not Roy or Chrom is more interesting/deserving of being in Smash!

:troll:
Honestly, before Chrom's deconfirmation I kept saying "If they're just going to make Chrom who would basically be a cross between Ike and Marth, we might as well just get Roy back instead. He'd please more people and at least he's got the fire sword" (which still isn't that notable, the fire sword doesn't do anything differently from Marth, its just a "cool" effect).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Let's talk about Paper Mario instead. It's been a while since he's been brought up. How would everyone feel if we got a third, but unique Mario?
Although I'm not a fan of Mario in general, Paper Mario grabs my interest. Could he be unique? Yes. Can I see why people wouldn't want him? Certainly, I'm neutral on him, though I plan on playing the first game on VC. Here's hoping I genuinely get to support Mario characters

NO.
NO.
NO.

That would be pretty cool. I would prefer toad/captain toad but it's a god 2nd choice for a mario character.

I wouldnt be surprised if he is the most underrated character for DLC with how little he is brought up.

NO.
NO.
NO.

I wouldn't be against him, as he would be unique, and would represent Mario RPGs (better than a certain other character who isn't even owned by Nintendo), but I prefer Captain Toad over him.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All I'll say in regards to Chrom at this point, is that my point wasn't about the actuality of what happened.

I am totally aware that Lucina was planned from the start as a costume. I already knew that. I am aware that Chrom was not the same case.

MY POINT WAS NEITHER. My point is...Sakurai makes a big point about character ability. So Chrom doesn't quite stack up. Lucina didn't exactly stack up either. One became a costume, one didn't. My point moreso is...why Lucina and not Chrom? As others have said, Chrom might be more similar to Marth. Fair point. Then why couldn't he just have the same moveset as Marth instead of Lucina? I don't even care that Lucina got in anyway (as I already said, I enjoy Lucina).

That's the point I'm making. Not the facts, mainly because I already know them (and didn't need to be reminded). I'm talking about the actual thought process. I mean I can agree that Chrom's build is more similar to Ike, so that would make him a bit weird to work with in comparison to Marth.

When I said I drew a comparison, it wasn't to what got both into the game in their different ways. It was their standing as a unique character. If Chrom didn't bring anything "new"...and Lucina hasn't really brought anything "new" then what's the difference?

I don't care what Sakurai said. When I look at it that way, to me, there's hardly a difference. Besides the build of Chrom's body as opposed to Marth. Based on other users though, I won't continue though. It's a dead horse anyway.
---
So i've been thinking about Wonder Red...how feasible would a moveset involving the entire Wonderful 101 be? Not like changing between them, but utilizing them in some way. Any ideas?

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
NO.
NO.
NO.

I mean he could be somewhat unique (but quite slow ala Mr. Game and Watch), but having THREE Marios before characters like Toad and Daisy just rubs me the wrong way. Also, I feel like the hook of Paper Mario is it's paper raft characters in a 3-D world, and Smash is 2-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom