• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I'm aware, Geno pretty much only has problems. Stingy company owning him, him being insignificant, his only major game not being his own, etc.
I couldn't stop myself.
Your looking at what the character was in the game rather than what does SMRPG represent in Nintendo history, it's more important to know what Geno represent rather than what Geno was in the game, for example Greninja does represent Pokemon xy and if you played that game you will see that greninja was not the main character or a huge character in Pokemon universe but you know Pokemon xy was important in Nintendo history, same goes for SMRPG.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This conversation on Geno is a lot like when children start 'shhhhhh'ing each other to make an arena quiet- all its doing is adding more noise.
A character needing to be treated in discussion with kid gloves, walking on egg shells, whatever cliche you prefer- only perpetuates the notion that the character's fans are uncivil.

On that note: Ive yet to play Super Mario RPG, but it certainly seems like a game I would enjoy. Is it on the Virtual Console?

Last edited:
This conversation on Geno is a lot like when children start 'shhhhhh'ing each other to make an arena quiet- all its doing is adding more noise.
A character needing to be treated in discussion with kid gloves, walking on egg shells, whatever cliche you prefer- only perpetuates the notion that the character's fans are uncivil.

On tha note: Ive yet to play Super Mario RPG, but it certainly seems like a game I would enjoy. Is it on the Virtual Console?
Yes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

On tha note: Ive yet to play Super Mario RPG, but it certainly seems like a game I would enjoy. Is it on the Virtual Console?
Exclusively on Wii Virtual Console. We don't have any SE games on Wii U VC iirc

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Exclusively on Wii Virtual Console. We don't have any SE games on Wii U VC iirc
Does this mean it must be downloaded on the Wii and then transferred? That is pretty ridiculous.

Topic of Mach Rider v Excite biker-
Wasnt Excite a series? Let me research this... it is the initial differentiation I found between the characters themselves.
Let's discuss the merit of each in our posts, I'm curious to learn more.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Does this mean it must be downloaded on the Wii and then transferred? That is pretty ridiculous.

Topic of Mach Rider v Excite biker-
Wasnt Excite a series? Let me research this... it is the initial differentiation I found between the characters themselves.
Let's discuss the merit of each in our posts, I'm curious to learn more.
Yep, doesn't need to be transferred obviously if one wants to use a GC controller though.

Excite IS a series but everyone thinks of the NES bikers. Honestly, those sprites are pretty cute imo

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Super Mario RPG is love. It's a shame you can't go into it without all the hype and expectations (and I'm not helping in that area right now hue,) but the game is a full run and has enough originality for a Mario title to keep you satisfied. I'll stop myself here because I could rant a about it for a while but I don't need to go further than; go play it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wiley... your signature really pisses me off... it reminds me that baby Pokemon and breeding are not an arbitrary piece of the Pokemon puzzle, and that makes Pichu not a horrible candidate.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Thanks! I'll try to make one the way you did but I don't think I'll be able to do it.

I have 20 characters in mind as well but I don't think I can fit them all but I do want mine similar to TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern signature Lol.
I do mine in Photoshop which I find pretty simple, If you'd like I could make you one, just PM me if you do

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wiley... your signature really pisses me off... it reminds me that baby Pokemon and breeding are not an arbitrary piece of the Pokemon puzzle, and that makes Pichu not a horrible candidate.
Seriously? SERIOUSLY! Clone characters have shown time and time again that they can become something different than their original counterparts. Why are people still regarding clones with scorn instead of brainstorming ideas that can make them different from their original counterparts, especially since most clones are intended to be fun little extra last minute characters anyway!

(If that's not what you meant I'm sorry. I've been in too many Pichu and Young Link arguments.)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I honestly don't get why soooo many people don't want non-recurring characters from Zelda in the game. I mean sure, Impa should happen but some highly popular one-offs (or 2-offs due to HWarriors?) with moveset potential such as Midna or Ghirahim should also have good chances of becoming playable.

The Zelda series would look AMAZING in Smash if less relevant characters managed to become playable. They would be fun as hell, too.
You're way, way off base here. It has nothing at all to do with what people WANT. A ton of people, myself, included, would love to see non-recurring characters from Zelda in Smash. That has nothing to do with the point.

The fact of the matter is, it probably WON'T happen. Look at the most highly requested characters, extremely popular Zelda characters in the game right now... AS ASSIST TROPHIES.

Midna, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, the most highly requested Zelda characters for Smash.

Its not about people not WANTING them. Of course people WANT them. Its about the fact that Nintendo/Sakurai doesn't see them as needed because Zelda typically doesn't have recurring characters. We had a grand total of ZERO new Zelda characters in this game. And from the ballot, the fans are so divided on who they want, there is no clear and concise lead. There's at least 5-6 or more different Zelda characters people are voting for, because of the nature of the series.

That's why odds are, the only way another character will get in (barring Impa) is if they make characters more recurring.

Their situations aren't really comparable.
Not having a future is not a problem for FE characters, because no characters are guaranteed to have future appearances (except Anna).

:231:
This is the problem with comparisons between FE and Zelda. FE has almost no recurring characters, barring a select few direct sequels, and even then they tend to just use that as justification to pick one character from all those titles. Zelda games have it harder, because there are a set number of recurring characters. The only major recurring characters are Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, with both Link and Zelda having child counterparts in some games.

Impa is getting there, but prior to OOT she was incredibly minor, and OOT just made her slightly less minor due to making her a sage, though she still does barely anything in OOT (you more actively interact with Saria, Darunia, and Ruto). Its really Skyward Sword that increased her popularity dramatically, though, since she again appeared in her younger form.

Barring these four, the only recurring characters are incredibly minor characters. All major characters in one game (and likewise the ones more people gravitate towards) haven't appeared again after their initial appearance (the OOT Sages are referenced twice, though, so that's something. They're referenced in Zelda 2 and in WW.)

And yes, Tingle is still a minor character. He's the most recurring minor character, and has slightly bigger roles than other ones like Malon, but inside the Zelda series he doesn't do anything important in any one title. The Triforce Charts in WW is mandatory, but it was not a necessity to have that feature in the first place. Tingle is a standout, though, because he has extended to his own games, so that is something extra that benefits him.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Seriously? SERIOUSLY! Clone characters have shown time and time again that they can become something different than their original counterparts. Why are people still regarding clones with scorn instead of brainstorming ideas that can make them different from their original counterparts, especially since most clones are intended to be fun little extra last minute characters anyway!

(If that's not what you meant I'm sorry. I've been in too many Pichu and Young Link arguments.)
Pitoo, Doc & Lucina are the true last minute ones tho.

I don't mind clones unless the character truly has so much potential e.g Ganondorf...who imo is now forever stuck as he is.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
XD all it does is make me smile. But yeah r.i.p Pichu (I'd prefer Raichu at this point though) As for clones, I always favor unique but I love as much variety in the game as possible. The more the merrier and if their development eases access vs not joining at all I'm all for it. I don't see them as taking slots from would be fighters, I just see them as icing to the Smash cake. Except Falcondorf... But I'm way passed that by now lol.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I think Ive posted enough times on Pokemon for it to be clear this had nothing to do with my point.
I would accept Pichu as a bundle with our other beloved Nintendo Allstars, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. Perhaps all for a nice 10 dollar price.

Additionally, the more proper Baby character would be Togepi*, particularly since Pokemon are chosen (almost solely) based on anime prominence.

*Who would also be a more fun joke character, to me. Imagine, each special move randomly generated a special move from another character: the animations would look jarring, and the effectiveness would be moot or amazing. #Winning

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think Ive posted enough times on Pokemon for it to be clear this had nothing to do with my point.
I would accept Pichu as a bundle with our other beloved Nintendo Allstars, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. Perhaps all for a nice 10 dollar price.

Additionally, the more proper Baby character would be Togepi*, particularly since Pokemon are chosen (almost solely) based on anime prominence.

*Who would also be a more fun joke character, to me. Imagine, each special move randomly generated a special move from another character: the animations would look jarring, and the effectiveness would be moot or amazing. #Winning
That reminds me, we need Ditto in this game as our Charade/Mokujin

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That reminds me, we need Ditto in this game as our Charade/Mokujin
The last thing Pokemon needs is further misrepresentation in the form of a random character who doesnt demonstrate anything from the games play. (Of course, I think Mew would be an amazing clone character).

The only positive thing Ditto would offer would be representation of Pokemon Abilities.
Kirby copies one move, not the entire play mechanic of a character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom