• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now tell me, what do you like about your most wanted Smash Character?
Not why they should be playable, Just why you like them in general.
King K. Rool. Because he's awesome in DK games.

Bandana Dee is very close, though. Because he's so cute.

Wolf is in third place. I mainly want him because there's no reason to keep him out and because he's a villain. I've never played Star Fox games.

I am dissapointed puns are now warning worthy. Don't know why I didn't get an alert though.

So uhhhhhh. how about those mario characters.
Paper mario and (Captain) toad are cool right?
Captain Toad is the most logical choice for next Mario character in Smash imo.

Wouldn't be against Paper Mario either. But Captain Toad is my personal preference.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
When we look at the new series represented in Brawl and SSB4, excluding retros and third parties, we have:

- Wario (Warioware games)
- Olimar (Pikmin 1 and 2)

- Villager (Animal Crossing games)
- Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Wii)
- Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
- Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus)

With the exception of Wii Fit and Animal Crossing, Splatoon has been more successful than those games. Inkling seems like such an obvious proposition right now.

Them and Wolf in the next Direct I think (pre ballot).

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Bayonetta. First mostly because she is unlikely, otherwise she would be only in my top 3 or 5. lol

She has a confident, strong, determined and caring for her friends type character. The Bayonetta franchise is 1/3 of the reason why I bought the Wii U as well, ( the other 2 being Smash & Zelda) since the series is in my all-time favorites now. If all people see of her is her sexuality (which she flaunts it to her will) then I don't think they even played the games or are too shallow-minded to look past the few exaggerated cut scenes which don't even happen in the important parts of the stories.

Now that I brought it up, I can't resist posting a few gifs to show a slice on why should be playble... soz. :p

Well if ya gotta ask....

Twilight Princess, admittedly, is one of my favourite games...can't even comprehend the amount of hours put into the game...honestly couldn't complain about the content the game has received in Smash either (well except for the obvious)...

Midna playing a very large role within the game obviously makes her a very big reason why I like the game so much. She probably has some of the best character development I've seen in the Zelda series as a whole (which says something if you consider all the memorable characters in the series) and unlike other companions she's actually somewhat useful and less annoying in comparison (Warps you throughout the world, aids in your mobility, transports large otherwise impossible to move objects, assists you in combat, doesn't tell you how to open a door but instead just opens it for you, etc)...

Also as an amateur concept artist I do admit that I love her design (both her Imp form and True form)...I would say that my favourite character design in the entire Zelda franchise is indeed her True form though...it is simply gorgeous!
I honestly don't get why soooo many people don't want non-recurring characters from Zelda in the game. I mean sure, Impa should happen but some highly popular one-offs (or 2-offs due to HWarriors?) with moveset potential such as Midna or Ghirahim should also have good chances of becoming playable.

The Zelda series would look AMAZING in Smash if less relevant characters managed to become playable. They would be fun as hell, too.
My most wanted is Rayman.
Rayman has always been in my top 3 gaming franchises of all-time (the first two being Sonic and Mario). The games are filled with great level design, music, atmosphere, and characters. It's a series that has always stayed consistent with quality in at least the main series, even with the jump to 3D.
I really need to buy Origins still (don't want Legends). I feel bad. Rayman is part of my childhood but I did at one point have Rayman 3D. One thing I love about him is that his moveset is practically written for him. Just hoping he would have a special to shoot those yellow orbs he has in his 3D games.

Last edited:

ZeroInfinity

Smash Rookie
Well... My most wanted is Zero from Mega Man X. He's my favourite video game character of all time. He's just so damn awesome. I love his design (in the X series anyway...), I love playing as him in the Mega Man X games and he's just such a badass. And he has a light saber, and that's just cool. And his hair. It's fabulous.
The Mega Man Zero games completely butchered him... It hurts to look at what they did to him...

Man, I suck at explaining things...

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
So King K. Rool -
Easily the progression of villainy throughout the Donkey Kong Series. That combined with his potential ranging across his various personas would easily make one of the most unique villainous additions to Super Smash Bros.

Following on - Isaac - Golden Sun is just like Punch-Out, it's one of those Assist Trophies from Brawl that is well worth promoting to a playable character, all thanks to the vast amount of potential present in Isaac's moveset, manipulating the earth to his will.

Inklings are currently third place because of their moveset potential and would fit really well into Super Smash Bros while the iron is still hot!
That is exactly my top 3 and the ones I voted for.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
C'mon now, let's dowse these flames, not every gets along all the time, but we're all friends in some sense
Everyone just needs a break, go open a window for a bit and take a few big breaths, eat and or drink your favourite thing, maybe take a nap?

There's better things to do than fight, we can SMASH!

For starters, Dixie is amazing in the DKC games, I don't think I'd have been able to beat some of them without her. Not to mention she's absolutely adorable (Especially in Tropical Freeze), The hair could also bring an extremely unique fighter as smash has yet to see a true grappler character and she'd be a nice mid range character which I'd enjoy

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
For starters, Dixie is amazing in the DKC games, I don't think I'd have been able to beat some of them without her. Not to mention she's absolutely adorable (Especially in Tropical Freeze), The hair could also bring an extremely unique fighter as smash has yet to see a true grappler character and she'd be a nice mid range character which I'd enjoy
All I want these days is a Shantae vs Dixie hair fight in Smash Bros...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I honestly don't get why soooo many people don't want non-recurring characters from Zelda in the game. I mean sure, Impa should happen but some highly popular one-offs (or 2-offs due to HWarriors?) with moveset potential such as Midna or Ghirahim should also have good chances of becoming playable.

The Zelda series would look AMAZING in Smash if less relevant characters managed to become playable. They would be fun as hell, too.
Because apparently being a one-off Zelda character means the character is unimportant throughout the franchise, at least in the eyes to some...some of the more memorable characters are one-offs such is the case with both Midna and Ghirahim, as well as Skull Kid if you count him as a one-off (appeared in three games but only one major role, so) but in fairness, the most popular one-offs ARE unfortunately assist trophies anyways, and so their support has dwindled because they are less likely...

That's the thing though, Zelda's character representation could've been so much better, especially when you consider the possibilities for newer more interesting characters...Link, Zelda and Ganon are essentials yes, but they are not the only characters people remember from the franchise...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

They think being one-off makes them less important to the franchise as a whole. And Nintendo hasn't done much to dispel that notion either. I think most people would love it if Midna or Grirahim were to appear in another mainline Zelda game. I'm guessing such people support Impa or Ganon or Tingle

:231:

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd say I think you could apply the whole "future of the series" criteria to some characters. As interesting as a character might be (I really like Midna and Ghirahim myself), if the character doesn't necessarily have a future within their franchise they might get overlooked.

At least Sakurai has acknowledged their popularity by making them AT's. I know that doesn't satisfy people, and I understand why.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Krystal mainly because she uses magical and elemental powers and is more spiritual compaired to everything else in the StarFox series which is all science-fiction and war based I personally wish we see more of Krystal using those powers as her staff she personally doesn't look or feel right to me using Arwings and the weapons Fox and other use

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Well many FE characters in smash may not have any future in FE (outside of DLC ) either.

I don't think the future thing should apply to Zelda , more like which characters have lasting popularity/appeal like Midna. Arguably, after Impa there isn't really anyone who is on par with the 4 main characters so eventually much less important to the series as a whole characters would be added, perhaps.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well many FE characters in smash may not have any future in FE (outside of DLC ) either.

I don't think the future thing should apply to Zelda , more like which characters have lasting popularity/appeal like Midna. Arguably, after Impa there isn't really anyone who is on par with the 4 main characters so eventually lesser ones would be added, perhaps.
Their situations aren't really comparable.
Not having a future is not a problem for FE characters, because no characters are guaranteed to have future appearances (except Anna).

Troykv

Smash Master
Their situations aren't really comparable.
Not having a future is not a problem for FE characters, because no characters are guaranteed to have future appearances (except Anna).

And Anna is (in most of the cases) just a cameo character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I don't think the future thing should apply to Zelda , more like which characters have lasting popularity/appeal like Midna. Arguably, after Impa there isn't really anyone who is on par with the 4 main characters so eventually much less important to the series as a whole characters would be added, perhaps.
To be fair, "lasting popularity" is a pretty vague idea, that is diffcult to determine immediately after the conception of the character.
Sure, in hindsight we may be able to qualify who fits into these character, but at the same time, Zant was popularly wanted for Brawl, and look at how common he is now!

Zelda is a great demonstration of what the Pokemon franchise is not; characters who are merely most important and who make the series so fantastic. The idea goes back to the original premise of SSB, the Nintendo All Stars- after all, there needs to be SOME criteria for a characters inclusion, and as we can see, anyone *could* be unique. Under such light, every popular character cannot get in, and there are many popular characters- so merely being "popular" and "cool" to a group of people just, numerically, cannot be enough. (Except of course in the case of Pokemon, but I think this is due in huge part to TPC).

Not to mention, the nostalgia factor is very high with what makes a Nintendo character 'popular.' Whichever characters an individual grew up with are likely given a boost in the 'desire' department. The issue within Zelda is that often these are characters who are never seen again (and, only influenced a single storyline).

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
I remember wanting the Bandit from the Yoshi series to be a playable characters back in Brawl.
Brawl wish list
1. Sonic (Check)
2. Shadow (Assist trophy but I still sort of want him)
3. Sceptile (My number 1 pick in Smash 4 wishlist)
4. Bandit
5. Geno (The original Ridley)

Bandit is a weird pick but I definitely see moveset potential in this guy, especially from making a return in New Island and Dream Team. He's not a character or anything, he's just another minion/enemy like your daily Koopas and Goombas. However, I see his playstyle as a trickster and annoying character. I mean, the dude has smoke bombs, just like Peach pulling out a Bob-omb out of the ground and Diddy throws a banana peel. Extremely unlikely, maybe even Impossible but I still think he should ATLEAST have a role as an assist trophy. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I really need to buy Origins still (don't want Legends). I feel bad. Rayman is part of my childhood but I did at one point have Rayman 3D. One thing I love about him is that his moveset is practically written for him. Just hoping he would have a special to shoot those yellow orbs he has in his 3D games.
You're really missing out, Origins is one of best 2D platformers I've ever played.
I hope the yellow orbs are incorporated in his moveset as well, I would love for his moveset to reference all his games, rather than just Origins and Legends.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You're really missing out, Origins is one of best 2D platformers I've ever played.
I hope the yellow orbs are incorporated in his moveset as well, I would love for his moveset to reference all his games, rather than just Origins and Legends.
I'll get it when it's on sale around xmas. Last year it was too but decided to get Child of Light & some other stuff instead.

Can't wait! (Played Demo). Speaking of Rayman, him & Shantae (getting her game soon too) I feel are the 2 most likely 3rd parties to join, but I could be wrong by miles.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
How do people make their own signatures? The one I have at the moment was made from a friend of mine but he never told me about how to make them and he isn't very active.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Actually, I do have another: Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo, mostly because she's an adorable little sorceress, her games are hilarious, and her prequel series, the Madou Monogatari games, was one of the RPGs back in the late 80s and 90s that gave a new spin on RPGs in general, and again, she's just so cute!

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
How do people make their own signatures? The one I have at the moment was made from a friend of mine but he never told me about how to make them and he isn't very active.
Mine is literally nothing special. I use Google Slides (aka Google's Powerpoint) to crop and scale down stuff into rectangles. Then I press print screen. Finally, I use Paint to crop and save the Sig as a image.

So yeah... I have done about 20 characters for the fun but use 7 in my actual Sig haha.

Now to make it relevant: I WANT IVYSUAR. With Pokemon I never support new characters because I can't exactly imagine them in Smash until they happen (e.g, Greninja) so therefore I have no 'want' for Sceptile as a grass starter BUT I wouldn't mind him...maybe even like him more than Ivy.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Mine is literally nothing special. I use Google Slides (aka Google's Powerpoint) to crop and scale down stuff into rectangles. Then I press print screen. Finally, I use Paint to crop and save the Sig as a image.

So yeah... I have done about 20 characters for the fun but use 7 in my actual Sig haha.

Now to make it relevant: I WANT IVYSUAR. With Pokemon I never support new characters because I can't exactly imagine them in Smash until they happen (e.g, Greninja) so therefore I have no 'want' for Sceptile as a grass starter BUT I wouldn't mind him...maybe even like him more than Ivy.
Thanks! I'll try to make one the way you did but I don't think I'll be able to do it.

I have 20 characters in mind as well but I don't think I can fit them all but I do want mine similar to TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern signature Lol.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh look somebody said "Geno" we don't need to start a fight again...
What about my post aroused a feeling of instigation? The fact that I asked someone to explain their thought process?

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
I think I'm gonna need some clarification.
Do you mean in that Ridley originally was your #5 because Ridley's been highly requested since Melee and still hasn't died out unlike Geno who has nothing
I meant how the fans were treated.
Ridley fans were targeted by many people because the purple space dragon was "too big".

Back in the Brawl days, Geno fans were targeted by people because "Geno is owned by Square Enix and would
never be in Smash bros".

Geno was quite a controversial topic back in the day, just like Ridley now. "The original Ridley" was just a reference from Cjszero01.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I meant how the fans were treated.
Ridley fans were targeted by many people because the purple space dragon was "too big".

Back in the Brawl days, Geno fans were targeted by people because "Geno is owned by Square Enix and would never be in Smash bros".
Geno was quite a controversial character back in the day, just like Ridley now. "The original Ridley" was just a reference from Cjszero01.
Geno being owned by SE isn't his biggest problem but rather how he hasn't had a major game appearance in 20 years or so

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
:4dedede:A bit off-topic from the current discussion, but.... NWPlayer123 (the Splatoon Dataminer) did a Team Pirates related post in response to the Pirates vs. Ninjas Splatfest. It had Karen (the character you've been seeing in my avatars) from Kiniro Mosaic in it. It was styled as a meme kind of post, but I found it to be so hilarious because it's the last place I'd expect the anime to get referenced. It both made my day and has made me want to support Team Pirates now. :4dedede:

But anyways, back to your Geno related discussion if you must discuss it (probably not a good idea).:substitute:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom