• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Missed the pokemon argument, but I'd like a Gen 2 mon because Gen 2 is horribly absent from this game (Shuckle pls) but I'm also really about the summoner pokemon trainer.

Also Anna would be hype no matter how implemented

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Before you launch the typical "THAT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING" response at me(I know one of you might do it anyway and I can guess who it might be), please let me stop you there because I agree. Shovel Knight's amiibo was likely negotiated on prior to this announcement happening.

Which means that yes, indie amiibo will have nothing to do with Smash as SK's amiibo before them. Just wanted to point that out.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
This again. *sigh*

Haven't we been over this about a thousand times ever since Smash came out? Just because there's empty space, doesn't mean we're getting something to fill it. I'm pretty sure Sakurai isn't thinking "There's enough space for 6 character slots, we need to fill them"

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
This again. *sigh*

Haven't we been over this about a thousand times ever since Smash came out? Just because there's empty space, doesn't mean we're getting something to fill it. I'm pretty sure Sakurai isn't thinking "There's enough space for 6 character slots, we need to fill them"
More like they made the roster fit around how many characters they wanted to add, making it so it's a perfect rectangle

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
More like they made the roster fit around how many characters they wanted to add, making it so it's a perfect rectangle
I see this theory will continue to live on forever. I'm not stating that we will never get 6 characters. I'm just saying, that doesn't really prove anything. I think we're getting 4-5 characters max.

Last edited:

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
My predictions:
  1. Wolf :wolf:
  2. Snake :snake: (sorry, he's possible)
  3. Isaac
  4. KRool, Inkling or Shovel (by rumors & popularity @ ballot)
--------------
5. Simon Belmont, Krystal or retro REP (Mach Rider)
6. Rayman

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Except Nikki has a history of trolling the Smash fanbase. Her area of expertise is Splatoon. Not Smash. Plus it's ridiculously easy to just say "I know something you don't and I won't tell!" on the internet. If anyone's bandwagoning it's her.
Those I've spoken to all know it in the exact same way for some reason... Not sure if Octogirl knows it in same way too.
"It's fan service from here on out"
"Fan Service"

The only element of surprise is if we get another character like Ryu and there aren't many that fit the bill.
What characters could fit that bill tho? Only one I can think of - sorta counts- is Rayman since his series sold 28m or so and he is behind Shovel, Shantae and Snake in general popularity for Smash I believe.
Personally I think DLC from this point forward should be more focused on as many different series as possible. So no repeating series.

Call me biased, but I think a great lineup of 6 DLC characters would look like:

K.Rool
Wolf
Inkling
Isaac
Snake
Bandanna Dee/last character

You get a handful of the most requested characters, two veterans (one of the vets is the highest requested 3rd party, the other is possibly the highest requested in general) you get old and new characters, etc...Pretty nice list imo.
And since it's so nice...it won't happen. :p

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I see this theory will continue to live on forever. I'm not stating that we will never get 6 characters. I'm just saying, that doesn't really prove anything. I think we're getting 4-5 characters max.
Don't you think it's convenient though that adding 6 characters to both rosters makes it a complete rectangle, plus 6 is a pretty good number of characters creating a total of 10 DLC characters, it just works so well

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I know you guys are talking about archer characters getting into Smash, but what about characters on mounts? Specifically horses by the way. Can't see a Wyvern or a Pegasus Knight in Smash as awesome that would be. Mounted units in my opinion would be just as interesting as an archer.

I can see the character as both a foot fighter and a horse rider. They could use one of their specials to summon a horse, similar to how Wario summons his bike. The horse could have an HP bar, similar to Luma. If the horse gets hit a certain amount of times, the character dismounts. Also, the horse can be used for an extra jump boost kind of like Yoshi from Super Mario World. Once the horse is dismounted for a short period of time, instead of just exploding (lol) it could just disappear like Mega Man's Rush Coil.

As for the weapons the mounted character could use, they could use a sword, a lance or both. You could use the lance for range, and the sword for close ranged fighting. Forgot to mention that the horse could be mounted if you wanted to deal more damage to your opponent.

I can definitely see problems with this though... For one thing the horse may be too big. Also, I can see a lot of end lag in each of these moves. What do you guys think? :p

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Don't you think it's convenient though that adding 6 characters to both rosters makes it a complete rectangle, plus 6 is a pretty good number of characters creating a total of 10 DLC characters, it just works so well
IF we ARE getting six....then I'll need a bigger wallet soon. XD
I know you guys are talking about archer characters getting into Smash, but what about characters on mounts? Specifically horses by the way. Can't see a Wyvern or a Pegasus Knight in Smash as awesome that would be. Mounted units in my opinion would be just as interesting as an archer.

I can see the character as both a foot fighter and a horse rider. They could use one of their specials to summon a horse, similar to how Wario summons his bike. The horse could have an HP bar, similar to Luma. If the horse gets hit a certain amount of times, the character dismounts. Also, the horse can be used for an extra jump boost kind of like Yoshi from Super Mario World. Once the horse is dismounted for a short period of time, instead of just exploding (lol) it could just disappear like Mega Man's Rush Coil.

As for the weapons the mounted character could use, they could use a sword, a lance or both. You could use the lance for range, and the sword for close ranged fighting. Forgot to mention that the horse could be mounted if you wanted to deal more damage to your opponent.

I can definitely see problems with this though... For one thing the horse may be too big. Also, I can see a lot of end lag in each of these moves. What do you guys think? :p
I would really like another on a vehicle like Bowser Jr is. Would love Mach Rider, personally.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

If we get a mounted fighter before Ridley I will go ape****

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Sakurai is pretty tired right now. I wouldn't mind 6 more characters. But you're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you REALLY believe we are going to get 6 more characters.

Last edited:

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
froot loops.jpg

If we get 6 DLC more for Smash...
Now we will have Ultimate Super Ultra Hyper Smash Brothers for NX Arcade Edition ft. Dante from Devil May Cry Series
(And I'm serious, about the Ultimate NX edition and a Dante mii/character because Sakurai loves money) :pimp::ankoku::?::yeahboi:

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
If we're talking about Fire Emblem I've always wanted a Manakete character, but I don't open my mouth because I know it won't happen.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think we are getting 4 more. Just a feeling and I've been predicting since the ballot started that we would get 8 characters in total.

I feel the pain of Sakurai picking characters. I wouldn't know where to start if I were him, even if I had the results of the ballot.

D

Deleted member

I don't think we are getting over 4 characters if you ask me.

BUT.

If we are getting 6 chracters by some miracle, here are the 6 characters that i want:

-Simon Belmont: He is a pipedream. If he makes it into Smash, i may stay on SmashBoards.
-King K.Rool: I expect the worst and hope for the best when it comes to him.
-Isaac: The more time passes, the more unlikely he seems in my eyes.
-Wolf
-Paper Mario: A wierd grey area for me personally.
-Dixie Kong

Out of those 6 characters, i only expect Wolf and MAYBE Dixie.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Considering they didn't bother with complete rectangles during launch, I don't see them caring that much about getting a rectangle.

How many people actually care about the roster being a rectangle, anyway?

:231:

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
What I want
-New Zelda Rep, I don't even care who as long as he/she is not a clone.
- Lloyd Irving

What we'll (probably) get
- Wolf
- K rool
- Shantae

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
They aren't gonna have a whole page for just a few characters, that'd look weird

Sakurai is pretty tired right now. I wouldn't mind 6 more characters. But you're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you REALLY believe we are going to get 6 more characters.
I don't, I'm just thinking that it's a possibility, we also don't know how DLC development is being handled, we don't know how much involvement Sakurai has anyway and if it's the same as before I doubt they're as pressed for time as they were before

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Shovel Knight:
As a frontrunner of the -bring back nostalgia but in new ways- movement, the game has always appealed to me.
The more support he gets, rather, the more ridiculous press he gets trying to claim he is likely/important/anything bigger than what he is, it unfortunately leaves a sour taste in my mouth... such is unfortunate, as he seems like a fun, if not generally bland, character.

Pokemon Trainer, the OG avatar character and protagonist of Pokemon's main games, is the biggest, bar none, disappointment to the roster. The only thing more upsetting is when his importance to NINTENDO and POP CUTURE as a whole are diminished by fanboyism.

In himself he represents more of the franchise than every other Mon, which are just popular characters, except Mewtwo. Bring him back with summon and the ability to utilize the games' main vehicle, the POKEBALL, and he will be a force with whom to be reckoned. Come at me with this one anyone, I will take on any contrary point. For it, I beg.
EDIT: To be clear, my point is that Pikachu and Mewtwo are the only ones on the roster, currently, who are not *merely* popular, but are actually indicative of more to the series. Pikachu is the mascot (and surrogate protagonist I suppose), Mewtwo is the original boss, legendary, and antagonist to the original movie.

I wish Medusa had been added as a clone in the first place, instead of Dark Pit. Not as if Palutena does not have enough source Material for her. Different defaults and, ta-da.

I wish Nintendo would pick up this Drag/Greek world and continue the franchise. If Nintendo were to release a new game for it, or an announcement, I would respect a character much more so, as the characters in the world could easily be my third favorite from Nintendo.
I would just find it a waste of DLC, in regard to helping Nintendo long term, to add another Kid Icarus character, given the current situation.
I think you misunderstood. Back in the day, I interpreted Sakurai's interview about balance being more of multiplication than addition as an allusion to Pokemon Trainer's removal. I also figured that with the whole disclaimer that he was going to omit characters (yet I was certain that he was not referring to clones such as Toon Link because they were low effort) that it was logical enough. I just sort of had to wing "refuting" the notion that Pokemon Trainer was the single most important character Pokemon character not named Pikachu. It was merely devil's advocate as I, to this day, believe that Pokemon Trainer represented Pokemon the franchise the best. I did not want his removal per se, I just predicted it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I want Mach Rider. Captain Falcon needs a rival, but the choices from his game are lukewarm tuna lumps served between dried cow patties.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
With 6 characters, the most likeables are:

K. Rool
Wolf
Bandana Dee
Inkling
???
???

But the characters that I actually want:

Micaiah (<3)
Adeleine
Bandana Dee
K. Rool
(Other two unspecific)

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
:4pit: :troll:
We really do need a true archer in this game. bows are probably my 2nd favorite weapon in games (Juuuust before spears) and the closest we have is pit who uses his bow more as daggers then actual bow moves. His fair/uair is pretty much the only move that would make sense with a bow. Certainly no Hawkeye.

The problem is yes there are very few characters that could fit the bill. Lyn is one of them but her focus would obviously be on swordplay. Anna would probably just be a melting pot of weapons.

We need a lord that starts as an archer or something.
I'd love to see a true archer archetype used for a fighter. I know something that came up in the RTC thread was if we got a Mii Fighter Class as DLC. A Mii Archer/Bowman/Ranger (Whatever you would like to call it) would be awesome.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
This again. *sigh*

T_T
this is the land of speculation, a place to let their hopes out or share ideas. This is the first smash with dlc, much is up in the air and people like to stretch the boundaries for their speculation and 6 is the magic number visually available. Not anyone is saying anything is concrete they're just having fun talking about it. Just take 3 of the 6 people mention if your glass half empty but nothing points to 6 being impossible yet.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
and this is where you lost me :p

(a 4th mii class is my absolute least wanted idea for DLC)
Well, DLC, or a new class for Smash 5. I'm not a fan of getting more Mii Classes as DLC, myself. Mostly because we can rarely use them. However, getting more classes in the next game would be nice, but I'd still prefer a full new character. A FE Archer that you suggested would be nice to see in the next installment.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Smash could certainly benefit from someone who uses a bow more than :4link::4tlink::4pit::4darkpit:.

I'd also do bloody well to get some better spellcasters than :4zelda:.

Black Mage for Smash.

Ashley for Smash.

Miigician for Smash 5 class.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Smash could certainly benefit from someone who uses a bow more than :4link::4tlink::4pit::4darkpit:.

I'd also do bloody well to get some better spellcasters than :4zelda:.

Black Mage for Smash.

Ashley for Smash.

Miigician for Smash 5 class.
I'd like it to me called something along the lines of .....mii mage

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The actual conversation I wanted to bring up before was rather glossed over; many quoted me, but all in fanboy character responses (relax wit that word, move on to...)

Sakurai has been working on the DLC for this game for a year, that is a SUBSTANTIAL amount of time. Is it really all that strange that, with enough time to develop a small game, we may actually be getting a HUGE update? What would it take for Sakurai to spend another year of his life on this game rather than moving on? What is the most cost effective way to develop content in this stage of the game? What would the equilibrium point be of cost of resources (time, etc) spent on this DLC, versus the supply and demand?
People in many rooms keep talking about 'what will make money;' if that is the case, we should be looking at this from an economics standpoint- there are an immense number of tools we could be utilizing to better assess the current situation.

Once again: I think now there is a strong possibility we will be getting an update the size of Super Luigi U or Mario Kart DLC. It almost sounds absurd, in an economic context, to think we would, after a year, merely have several characters, stages, and costumes. It isnt as simple as 1/3 the time, 1/3 the content, but a whole year for so little would be rather wasteful, in my eyes, on every developmental level.

That's actually quite meh for the second and third game actually
By definition, Bandana Dee is not a darkhorse, which would be a contender no one sees coming. Everyone seems to be claiming he is the option. That is the opposite of a darkhorse.
And to continue, I am aware of who he is, I think I expressed specific points which you did not address, particularly the PERCEPTION of him, which is that he is a generic enemy. This is to people who do not know who he is, not to those who already know. I agree he would be a lot of fun, I just think he is not a money grabbing character, and would be ridiculously difficult to try to market.

But the thing is that the main characters are usually the lord class meaning they wield swords, because of this they are also the most popular. If there was a central protagonist that used a lance, an axe or was a mage or pegasus knight or whatever, I would see your point but other than Hector who is one of 3 lords in his game but there isn't one. They aren't gonna add some random Lance or Axe wielder just because they have a lance or an axe
This does not refute the points I made, it isnt really even a response to what I said other than maybe being inspired to respond. I'm, quite clearly, not a Fire Emblem fan- nothing against it, I just do not find it special. My thought is that true fans of the series, and not fanboys happy with any decision made but those with actual criticisms, would be disappointed with the fact that a series of vast possibilities is represented with characters who more or less are based around a single moveset. If Swordsmen are all the series has to offer, it is very well off in Smash. I just think it has more to bring to the table.

Fellow Pokemon fan here!

To be fair, the reason why the Pokemon Trainer is hardly seen in any of the Smash games is because people mostly play Pokemon for the Pokemon, and not for the trainers. The trainers in Pokemon exist to give the Pokemon some kind of higher power, so that the world could make more sense. Trainers also just exist as a self-insert for the player. They have no real thoughts or emotions. Their personality and role is completely up to the player. Pokemon is all about the Pokemon. I hardly see people talk about the humans in Pokemon unless it's Ash or Misty or something like that. It also would be kind of difficult to incorporate the trainer in Smash in someway. You see how Red got scrapped out of Smash 4 due to technological reasons and redundancy, right?

As cheesy and annoying as I think the anime is, if it weren't for the anime, Pokemon wouldn't have nearly been as popular and as influential as it is today. Not everything Pokemon has to be represented correctly in Smash, even though I am getting a bit sick and tired of Gen 1 Pokemon. I want a playable Gen 3 or 5 character.
I dont think anyone plays 'for the Pokemon,' I think that is a gravely simplistic view. If that were the case, the main games would be outsold, or sold in equal numbers, to its spinoffs. We play to capture, train, and assemble Pokemon into a team. Of course, we are both talking about more than ourselves- so neither of us can be sure. That said, if it were merely about the Pokemon, the main games would not be the top sellers. See more on this point shortly...

That's mainly because this is Smash Bros. Not everything is going to represented in certain ways. There's more to it that just one or two things.

They're not going to just add an archer class character from Fire Emblem to just add one. That character needs to be important/relevant to their series. It would be like adding Virion from Awakening simply on the virtue of him being an archer. If the installment after Fates has an archer class main character, then maybe they'd do that. That's mainly what helped Robin.

It's not all about representing the gameplay mechanics of other games. It still has to work and be a cohesive moveset. I for one am not a huge fan of making the Pokemon Trainer a kitchen sink type character. If you're taking away the gimmick he had in Brawl, you're taking away arguably the biggest thing about the Pokemon trainer. He trains and battles using Pokemon. Pokemon may not have a "protagonist" but Pokemon also takes inspiration from more than the games. Pikachu could arguably be considered the protagonist of the anime. He's an international icon. I personally don't think Pokemon NEEDS Pokemon Trainer for anything.

It was a cool concept in Brawl that could have been better.

If we're looking at it as Pokemon is not accurately represented in Smash, then we should extend that to other games in Smash. Is Captain Falcon an accurate portrayal of F-Zero? Not really, he drives a car. Are Fox and Falco accurate of Star Fox? Not really, they pilot fighter jets. Metroid is mainly about solving puzzles to get through each section. Samus doesn't have puzzle solving in her moveset. See where i'm going with this?

The best way (imo) that PKMN Trainer could be represented would be to put a Pokemon on the field. He wouldn't enter a battle throwing items at his opponent. The most feasible way to do it was abandoned because the character itself was flawed in Brawl, and the hardware may not have been able to handle it.

I'd love to hear some examples of what you had in mind for a moveset regardless though. It's an interesting concept, even if I don't agree with it.

I'd like to add that I friggen LOVE Pokemon. I play it all the time...definitely a Top 5 series for me on my all time favorites.
You may enjoy the series, but you completely overlooked my point about what makes Pokemon special. It is NOT the general monsters, it is the gameplay mechanics. Obviously this is important to Sakurai who cares about the 'essence' of the game, and mentioned such as the reason for adding Robin. What makes Pokemon unique at all- capturing, training, battling, strategizing- it isnt a matter of some of these being overlooked, its a matter of not any of it being taken into consideration, at all, in any way- not in characters, not in items, not in stages, not in anything.

I think Ive stated a number of moveset ideas for the Pokemon Trainer (and I agree, he shuldnt touch the fishing rod at all; thats a terrible idea). He is the essence of Pokemon. What could he use? Pokeballs. Summons. Strategy. A few posts before this I had an idea that the summons could be equivalent to the nmber of rivals (as in, you get one summon at a time if it is 1v1, two if 1 v 1 v 1, etc. This reflects the strategy and the different styles of battle.

As it stands, Pokemon is represented by generic monsters who could be reskinned as anyone, and only the popular characters. There is not another series only represented by popular characters, not even the ones with avatar characters themselves. Obviously this isnt okay for them, why is it okay for the second best selling franchise Nintendo has in its arsenal? It isnt.

Additionally... Ive posted before on the fact that Pokemon is much more than a franchise, particularly the first two generations. It is studied by economists, sociologists, anthropologists, and in a wide variety of other fields, because it was a sensation from 96-2000. It is unmatched in craze. To anyone looking for an amazing read on the subject, or who could think there is any way to contest this, please read "Pikachu's Global Adventure: The RIse and Fall of Pokemon." It is much more than a game series, and that cannot be argued.

Something just occurred to me...might be because I see people saying to not expect 6 DLC characters. Normally, I would agree. However, I'm thinking here...so bear with me.

It's projected that Nintendo could potentially reveal the NX at E3 next year, with a potential release in November 2016. Who knows what it would launch with, but as we know, Smash gets a new installment every console cycle.

Here's where things get interesting. There was a listing on Amazon for Smash with a handful of the DLC. May or may not be for Wii U. However, what might the chances be of porting Smash Wii U to the NX with all DLC on disc?

To update the game and not make it seem like a cop out, Sakurai/Nintendo schedule DLC characters to release over a set amount of time. Instead of creating an all new version for the NX (mainly because of the poor Wii U) you just port this version, and add content.

Not to say there wouldn't be a new installment later on with the NX, but seriously...it could happen. If they WERE to add 10 DLC characters counting the ones we have, then the roster will have grown monumentally post release. 10 DLC character is a lot, but not if you take into consideration what the future MIGHT hold for the company/series.
Not to be rude, but hasnt this been mentioned here numerous times?

If we're talking about Fire Emblem I've always wanted a Manakete character, but I don't open my mouth because I know it won't happen.
It feels like all we talk about on this board is Fire Emblem. You'd think the series earned money for Nintendo before Awakening with how much attention it receive.

I think you misunderstood. Back in the day, I interpreted Sakurai's interview about balance being more of multiplication than addition as an allusion to Pokemon Trainer's removal. I also figured that with the whole disclaimer that he was going to omit characters (yet I was certain that he was not referring to clones such as Toon Link because they were low effort) that it was logical enough. I just sort of had to wing "refuting" the notion that Pokemon Trainer was the single most important character Pokemon character not named Pikachu. It was merely devil's advocate as I, to this day, believe that Pokemon Trainer represented Pokemon the franchise the best. I did not want his removal per se, I just predicted it.
I'm not sure what points you are even making, honestly. All I see is that you agree that he is a necessary component for the roster. And of couse he is vital, like an anti-Dark Pit :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom