• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I checked the sales charts True posted, and Style Savvy and Nintendo Land are among Nintendo's biggest franchises not with a deconfirmed role yet, both nearing 4 million in sales total. Certainly interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There are a number of reasons I find Sheik to be a very poor character.
1- Jigglypuff Syndrome. She made it in and now we are stuck with her simply because she once made it in. Part of this is just my distaste for how Sakurai treats series' in general. All creators are welcome to have bias... but ths is also a marketplace. I cannot believe how much hate the Pokemon series gets, particularly in how actual Nintendo all stars are thrown out the window, yet we get a fire Marth III to return.
What are you talking about? Disrespect? Pokemon has characters who are incredibly popular. Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo and Greninja are some of the most popular Pokemon out there. Jigglypuff isn't HATED by any means. It may not be as popular as the others, but she's not hated, and she's loved as a Smash character. Same as Sheik. Sakurai doesn't like to isolate fans. If he has to, he has to. But he doesn't remove characters just to remove them. There's many things taken into consideration with characters.

"Fire Marth" actually plays completely differently from Marth, and was a highly requested character to boot. Roy is the same level clone as Falco, Luigi or Ganondorf. He's hardly a clone anymore.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So you're saying that the fact you don't like these characters is because other characters aren't in the game...This makes me sad.
My computer did something strange with my response there... it deleted several points and reverted to a cached older version of the first.
Im very big on the overall aesthetic of the roster. I will never forgive Jigglypuff, who is not a "Pokemon" character in this game, but just a Smash character. PM me if you would like to discuss this more, as I have posted it enough and Im very aware that the Smashboards/posting Smash forum members in general, are not as much fans of the Pokemon series. We do not have enough people who actually advocate for the series, or at least not in comparable enough numbers to how well the series actually does for Nintendo.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Outside of here, there is an existing large RH fanbase for people to get interested in buying the character.
Why is that relevant? Are you saying non-Smash fans would buy SSB4 if a Rhythm Heaven character was DLC? Because I think it would be a negligible number of sales.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
To be fair though Nintendo Land was bundled with the Wii U, so it's bound to have high sales.
Doesn't mean it counts out the impact Nintendo Land made, he'd still take that into consideration if he were adding a character from that game.

Why is that relevant? Are you saying non-Smash fans would buy SSB4 if a Rhythm Heaven character was DLC? Because I think it would be a nnegligible number of sales.
How, the ones who are fans of RH will garner interest into buying Smash and the DLC?
Combining their unique weird appeal and wide fanbase, there's a good chance they would sell well enough to justify costs.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
A popular character that is rarely requested seriously in Smash? Hmm... Cloud is the first character that I think.

I need to write something about Micaiah soon.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What are you talking about? Disrespect? Pokemon has characters who are incredibly popular. Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo and Greninja are some of the most popular Pokemon out there. Jigglypuff isn't HATED by any means. It may not be as popular as the others, but she's not hated, and she's loved as a Smash character. Same as Sheik. Sakurai doesn't like to isolate fans. If he has to, he has to. But he doesn't remove characters just to remove them. There's many things taken into consideration with characters.

"Fire Marth" actually plays completely differently from Marth, and was a highly requested character to boot. Roy is the same level clone as Falco, Luigi or Ganondorf. He's hardly a clone anymore.
I've made my feelings clear on what clones are, to me. I'm not looking to get into that.
Fire Emblem is 4/5 characters who are all just swordsman. From only playing Awakening, this alone seems like it represents the series in a way that is not true to the game.

Pokemon, additionally, is not just a randomly assorted group of monsters. Almost every Pokemon in the game, currently, could be skinned as another character, and make just as much sense (not Lucario with the aura). I dont find that to be 'just.'
Pokemon is not just a collection of 5 popular characters- it was a pop culture revolution with as countless more going for it than just basic monsters who are summoned and fight. I do not think one would know this if they only looked at Smash, which merely has Pokeballs and popular monsters.

It is also the SINGLE game in the Smash roster without a protagonist. Nothing about the game mechanics, battling, capturing monsters, raising them, trading, or any of the important points of what make Pokemon stand out, are represented in Smash. None. The best thing the Pokemon characters represent in this game is the anime, which is exceptionally ironic given what the game is intended tobe.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't mean it counts out the impact Nintendo Land made, he'd still take that into consideration if he were adding a character from that game.

How, the ones who are fans of RH will garner interest into buying Smash and the DLC?
Combining their unique weird appeal and wide fanbase, there's a good chance they would sell well enough to justify costs.
I don't think that a character from any series added as DLC is going to have much appeal to those fans of that series who do not already like Smash. I don't think they could make up the difference if for some reason the bulk of the Smash fanbase doesn't buy it. I think those who would buy the whole game at that point would be those who already were interested in Smash, but hadn't yet bought it for some reason. I think those numbers would be negligible.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I've made my feelings clear on what clones are, to me. I'm not looking to get into that.
Fire Emblem is 4/5 characters who are all just swordsman. From only playing Awakening, this alone seems like it represents the series in a way that is not true to the game.

Pokemon, additionally, is not just a randomly assorted group of monsters. Almost every Pokemon in the game, currently, could be skinned as another character, and make just as much sense (not Lucario with the aura). I dont find that to be 'just.'
Pokemon is not just a collection of 5 popular characters- it was a pop culture revolution with as countless more going for it than just basic monsters who are summoned and fight. I do not think one would know this if they only looked at Smash, which merely has Pokeballs and popular monsters.

It is also the SINGLE game in the Smash roster without a protagonist. Nothing about the game mechanics, battling, capturing monsters, raising them, trading, or any of the important points of what make Pokemon stand out, are represented in Smash. None. The best thing the Pokemon characters represent in this game is the anime, which is exceptionally ironic given what the game is intended tobe.
But the thing is that the main characters are usually the lord class meaning they wield swords, because of this they are also the most popular. If there was a central protagonist that used a lance, an axe or was a mage or pegasus knight or whatever, I would see your point but other than Hector who is one of 3 lords in his game but there isn't one. They aren't gonna add some random Lance or Axe wielder just because they have a lance or an axe

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

Fellow Pokemon fan here!

To be fair, the reason why the Pokemon Trainer is hardly seen in any of the Smash games is because people mostly play Pokemon for the Pokemon, and not for the trainers. The trainers in Pokemon exist to give the Pokemon some kind of higher power, so that the world could make more sense. Trainers also just exist as a self-insert for the player. They have no real thoughts or emotions. Their personality and role is completely up to the player. Pokemon is all about the Pokemon. I hardly see people talk about the humans in Pokemon unless it's Ash or Misty or something like that. It also would be kind of difficult to incorporate the trainer in Smash in someway. You see how Red got scrapped out of Smash 4 due to technological reasons and redundancy, right?

As cheesy and annoying as I think the anime is, if it weren't for the anime, Pokemon wouldn't have nearly been as popular and as influential as it is today. Not everything Pokemon has to be represented correctly in Smash, even though I am getting a bit sick and tired of Gen 1 Pokemon. I want a playable Gen 3 or 5 character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

That's mainly because this is Smash Bros. Not everything is going to represented in certain ways. There's more to it that just one or two things.

They're not going to just add an archer class character from Fire Emblem to just add one. That character needs to be important/relevant to their series. It would be like adding Virion from Awakening simply on the virtue of him being an archer. If the installment after Fates has an archer class main character, then maybe they'd do that. That's mainly what helped Robin.

It's not all about representing the gameplay mechanics of other games. It still has to work and be a cohesive moveset. I for one am not a huge fan of making the Pokemon Trainer a kitchen sink type character. If you're taking away the gimmick he had in Brawl, you're taking away arguably the biggest thing about the Pokemon trainer. He trains and battles using Pokemon. Pokemon may not have a "protagonist" but Pokemon also takes inspiration from more than the games. Pikachu could arguably be considered the protagonist of the anime. He's an international icon. I personally don't think Pokemon NEEDS Pokemon Trainer for anything.

It was a cool concept in Brawl that could have been better.

If we're looking at it as Pokemon is not accurately represented in Smash, then we should extend that to other games in Smash. Is Captain Falcon an accurate portrayal of F-Zero? Not really, he drives a car. Are Fox and Falco accurate of Star Fox? Not really, they pilot fighter jets. Metroid is mainly about solving puzzles to get through each section. Samus doesn't have puzzle solving in her moveset. See where i'm going with this?

The best way (imo) that PKMN Trainer could be represented would be to put a Pokemon on the field. He wouldn't enter a battle throwing items at his opponent. The most feasible way to do it was abandoned because the character itself was flawed in Brawl, and the hardware may not have been able to handle it.

I'd love to hear some examples of what you had in mind for a moveset regardless though. It's an interesting concept, even if I don't agree with it.

I'd like to add that I friggen LOVE Pokemon. I play it all the time...definitely a Top 5 series for me on my all time favorites.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's mainly because this is Smash Bros. Not everything is going to represented in certain ways. There's more to it that just one or two things.

They're not going to just add an archer class character from Fire Emblem to just add one. That character needs to be important/relevant to their series. It would be like adding Virion from Awakening simply on the virtue of him being an archer. If the installment after Fates has an archer class main character, then maybe they'd do that. That's mainly what helped Robin.

It's not all about representing the gameplay mechanics of other games. It still has to work and be a cohesive moveset. I for one am not a huge fan of making the Pokemon Trainer a kitchen sink type character. If you're taking away the gimmick he had in Brawl, you're taking away arguably the biggest thing about the Pokemon trainer. He trains and battles using Pokemon. Pokemon may not have a "protagonist" but Pokemon also takes inspiration from more than the games. Pikachu could arguably be considered the protagonist of the anime. He's an international icon. I personally don't think Pokemon NEEDS Pokemon Trainer for anything.

It was a cool concept in Brawl that could have been better.

If we're looking at it as Pokemon is not accurately represented in Smash, then we should extend that to other games in Smash. Is Captain Falcon an accurate portrayal of F-Zero? Not really, he drives a car. Are Fox and Falco accurate of Star Fox? Not really, they pilot fighter jets. Metroid is mainly about solving puzzles to get through each section. Samus doesn't have puzzle solving in her moveset. See where i'm going with this?

The best way (imo) that PKMN Trainer could be represented would be to put a Pokemon on the field. He wouldn't enter a battle throwing items at his opponent. The most feasible way to do it was abandoned because the character itself was flawed in Brawl, and the hardware may not have been able to handle it.

I'd love to hear some examples of what you had in mind for a moveset regardless though. It's an interesting concept, even if I don't agree with it.

I'd like to add that I friggen LOVE Pokemon. I play it all the time...definitely a Top 5 series for me on my all time favorites.
He has some moveset ideas for the Pokémon Trainer in the OP of the Pokémon Trainer's thread it you are interested.

I wonder what Pokémon would be added should they decide to add another Pokémon Newcommer. I think Plussle & Minun would be cool moveset wise, but as for something that wouldn't make fans riot, I think Heracross might be interesting.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
AGAIN:
I'm NOT referring to obscure retros from obscure franchises.

Please read this again:

Every time we talk about unpopular characters, you guys assume it's an obscure retro arguers are referring to, this is why arguments like these last for a long time and go in circles again and again.
Maybe you should give some examples of what you're talking about.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Personally I think DLC from this point forward should be more focused on as many different series as possible. So no repeating series.

Call me biased, but I think a great lineup of 6 DLC characters would look like:

K.Rool
Wolf
Inkling
Isaac
Snake
Bandanna Dee/last character

You get a handful of the most requested characters, two veterans (one of the vets is the highest requested 3rd party, the other is possibly the highest requested in general) you get old and new characters, etc...Pretty nice list imo.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
After seeing a lot of predicted six DLCs, it seems that most people at least agree with Wolf, King K Rool, Isaac and Snake getting in. A lot lists will also either have Inklings or Bandana Dee, with a varied opinion on the sixth character.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Some examples of characters not wanted highly, but has merits and a fanbase within their franchise outside of Smash:
Chorus Kids - Rhythm Heaven
Style Savvy - Style Boutique
Monita - Nintendo Land

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I still think we're only getting three more characters. Why are so many people talking about six characters all of a sudden?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I still think we're only getting three more characters. Why are so many people talking about six characters all of a sudden?
Because it's been hypothesized that the roster can hold six more characters. Plus having six more characters on the roster looks neater than having only three more.

Personally, I also think we're getting only three. As for the characters we're getting though, I have no clue. I'm pretty sure we are going to get at least one popular character in.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Because it's been hypothesized that the roster can hold six more characters. Plus having sizmore characters on the roster looks neater than having only three more.

Personally, I also think we're only getting three. As for the characters we're getting though, I have no clue. I'm pretty sure we are going to get at least one popular character in though.
You mean like when people thought we were getting 4 more characters in the base game after the ESRB leak due to the CSS looking like it could hold more? Uh, okay then...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Some examples of characters not wanted highly, but has merits and a fanbase within their franchise outside of Smash:
Chorus Kids - Rhythm Heaven
Style Savvy - Style Boutique
Monita - Nintendo Land
Monita is kind of stretching it. Sure, Nintendo Land is a decent seller coming from being a bundled game and all...but for Smash? I'm pretty sure alot of people would disagree. CK and SS I have no particular opinion on.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Personally I think DLC from this point forward should be more focused on as many different series as possible. So no repeating series.

Call me biased, but I think a great lineup of 6 DLC characters would look like:

K.Rool
Wolf
Inkling
Isaac
Snake
Bandanna Dee/last character

You get a handful of the most requested characters, two veterans (one of the vets is the highest requested 3rd party, the other is possibly the highest requested in general) you get old and new characters, etc...Pretty nice list imo.
If we were to get all those characters, I think you'd satisfy the vast majority of Smash fans.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
3 now with the next bundle, 6 max potential. It's an assumption based on the available room on the character select screen with all (including 6 more empty slots) fighters fitting perfectly on screen for both 3ds and wiiu. Speculation though, people just having fun being hopeful.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
People are predicting for fun, I don't think everybody here realistically believes we'll get six characters. The idea spawned because somebody found out if you shave 4 pixels off of the character portraits in the 3ds version it leaves room for six more characters.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Hey anybody else theorize that last week's choice of Conquest: Series Showdown Part 3 might be dropping hints about something?
It was Metroid vs Donkey Kong vs Star Fox.

Do I have to explain anything or does everybody see what I see here?

Someone did that a while back and was bashed about it.
Aw that's a shame :(

Last edited:
>sees an argument involving Blue on the defense
>sees another argument about "muh reps/representation"

Yeah have fun with that. I'm going to do. . .literally anything else.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hey anybody else theorize that last week's choice of Conquest: Series Showdown Part 3 might be dropping hints about something?

It'd be a fairly arbitrary way to predict the next DLC characters. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be true considering the theme the series have in common(and my most wanted hailing from Metroid), but it's honestly somewhat baseless and feels like straw grasping more than anything.

That's just me though.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
After seeing a lot of predicted six DLCs, it seems that most people at least agree with Wolf, King K Rool, Isaac and Snake getting in. A lot lists will also either have Inklings or Bandana Dee, with a varied opinion on the sixth character.
Agree with the first 3, though Snake is a character people would want/like to see come back, but don't have much hope for. As much as that sucks.

I really don't know what to expect with the remaining characters, though it seems most people have the same wants or expect the same characters. 10 characters is something that seems REALLY fitting, but I don't want to get ahead of myself, and expecting somewhere around 6-8 DLC characters in total (With what we know of with character slots). Actually, does anyone think it's a bit crazy to think that the reason we haven't had any character announcements is because they're working on 3 more characters to wrap up pre-ballot content?

Think of it like this (Under the assumption we get 6 more). Around November (Maybe even this month), we'll get more mii costumes, as well as more stages. Finally, to go along with it, it all gets wrapped up with the 3 final pre-ballot characters (Whatever they may be). Once that's over with, we then have the last set of DLC be Ballot DLC. This will just include the ballot characters and whatever stage they may be packaged with (No mii costumes or any other extras). Honestly, I would like to see something like this happen, though the chances of it happening are extremely slim.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, barely anyone here THINKS we'll get 6, that's basically a generous amount if we get more than expected, 6 is probably the cap.

Anyway, Octogirl? It all depends on what she means to be honest. Personally I think the leaks are kinda dead. Still iffy on Stealth/Sean, but I somewhat believe Roger. Either way, I don't really know if we can trust everything Octogirl says. She has brought a lot of good info to the table through datamining, but that doesn't mean she knows the next Smash character. However, its obviously Inklings if she means on Wii U period, since VC could add literally anyone that way (unless its a troll).

If its just on Wii U, though, the only valid candidates are Inklings or Dixie Kong (Dixie I think could potentially get a join-trailer with K. Rool, but its a stretch; if that happened I'd think we would be getting 6 characters). Either way, I don't think Dixie will happen unless K. Rool gets in first.

Someone did that a while back and was bashed about it, but it is funny that its the three franchises people say are underrepped (and in all three the characters people want most are villains). I honestly don't buy the notion, but it'd be epic if it did mean something.

After having a funny much, I realized how much fun an archer could possibly be. Though it'd be hard to impliment, who could work as an archer outside of possibly Lyn and Anna from FE?
I can't see an FE archer unless its a character using multiple weapons. And I can't see them ever giving Lyn a bow as part of her moveset, otherwise Ike would use an Axe as well. Anna or Leif would be my picks. Leif to represent Jugdral and Anna the series in general. However, Anna is probably a lot more likely than Leif (unless they do a remake of the two games he was in and they localize it).

Agree with the first 3, though Snake is a character people would want/like to see come back, but don't have much hope for. As much as that sucks.

I really don't know what to expect with the remaining characters, though it seems most people have the same wants or expect the same characters. 10 characters is something that seems REALLY fitting, but I don't want to get ahead of myself, and expecting somewhere around 7-8 (With what we know of character slots). Actually, does anyone think it's a bit crazy to think that the reason we haven't had any character announcements is because they're working on 3 more characters to wrap up pre-ballot content?

Think of it like this. Around November (Maybe even this month), we'll get more mii costumes, as well as more stages. Finally, to go along with it, it all gets wrapped up with the 3 final pre-ballot characters (Whatever they may be). Once that's over with, we then have the last set of DLC be Ballot DLC. This will just include the ballot characters and whatever stage they may be packaged with (No mii costumes or any other extras). Honestly, I would like to see something like this happen, though the chances of it happening are slim.
I see no chance of all three characters being pre-ballot only. They will be fanservice, and at least one of them will for certain be an early ballot character. If the three characters were not all taken into consideration from the ballot, though, then Inklings, Wolf, and K. Rool are the most likely. K. Rool due to early ballot and massive popularity and requests even before the ballot, Inklings due to Splatoon's success, and Wolf is obvious.

Then they could've started other characters during or even when the ballot closed.

However, I think its just as likely they've only been working on TWO characters, and one more was decided just before the ballot ended, which is when the extra slot was found. If this is the case, the first two characters probably do not contain Wolf in it, since Wolf wouldn't be in development that long. The final slot would probably be Wolf instead.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
People who are expecting 6 characters are practically asking to be dissapointed.
Keep in mind guys that Sakurai has a much smaller team.
If Sakurai truly cared about making the CSS as organized as possible, all of the DLC characters and clones would have been with their respective series.
That said, it's a very small chance for it to happen, but I'm going to play it safe and predict that we're getting 3-4 more characters.
However, if we were to get 6 more characters, here are my predictions:
  1. Wolf
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Inklings
  4. Rayman
  5. Issac
  6. Snake or Shantae

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
But the thing is that the main characters are usually the lord class meaning they wield swords, because of this they are also the most popular. If there was a central protagonist that used a lance, an axe or was a mage or pegasus knight or whatever, I would see your point but other than Hector who is one of 3 lords in his game but there isn't one. They aren't gonna add some random Lance or Axe wielder just because they have a lance or an axe
Well to be fair Micaiah and Ephriham don't use swords and are both main characters.

After having a funny much, I realized how much fun an archer could possibly be. Though it'd be hard to impliment, who could work as an archer outside of possibly Lyn and Anna from FE?
:4pit: :troll:
We really do need a true archer in this game. bows are probably my 2nd favorite weapon in games (Juuuust before spears) and the closest we have is pit who uses his bow more as daggers then actual bow moves. His fair/uair is pretty much the only move that would make sense with a bow. Certainly no Hawkeye.

The problem is yes there are very few characters that could fit the bill. Lyn is one of them but her focus would obviously be on swordplay. Anna would probably just be a melting pot of weapons.

We need a lord that starts as an archer or something.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
:4pit: :troll:
We really do need a true archer in this game. bows are probably my 2nd favorite weapon in games (Juuuust before spears) and the closest we have is pit who uses his bow more as daggers then actual bow moves. His fair/uair is pretty much the only move that would make sense with a bow. Certainly no Hawkeye.

The problem is yes there are very few characters that could fit the bill. Lyn is one of them but her focus would obviously be on swordplay. Anna would probably just be a melting pot of weapons.

We need a lord that starts as an archer or something.
There are 2 problems with archers imo. You mentioned the first but Smash doesn't seem like the kind of game an archer would fit well in, though Kirby Fighters might help give an idea.
If Anna getting her own Star rank weapon in Fates is an indication, it's possible it'll be her main weapon from now on, which is good. But on the other hand, I'd have to rewrite my moveset

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Something just occurred to me...might be because I see people saying to not expect 6 DLC characters. Normally, I would agree. However, I'm thinking here...so bear with me.

It's projected that Nintendo could potentially reveal the NX at E3 next year, with a potential release in November 2016. Who knows what it would launch with, but as we know, Smash gets a new installment every console cycle.

Here's where things get interesting. There was a listing on Amazon for Smash with a handful of the DLC. May or may not be for Wii U. However, what might the chances be of porting Smash Wii U to the NX with all DLC on disc?

To update the game and not make it seem like a cop out, Sakurai/Nintendo schedule DLC characters to release over a set amount of time. Instead of creating an all new version for the NX (mainly because of the poor Wii U) you just port this version, and add content.

Not to say there wouldn't be a new installment later on with the NX, but seriously...it could happen. If they WERE to add 10 DLC characters counting the ones we have, then the roster will have grown monumentally post release. 10 DLC character is a lot, but not if you take into consideration what the future MIGHT hold for the company/series.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There are 2 problems with archers imo. You mentioned the first but Smash doesn't seem like the kind of game an archer would fit well in, though Kirby Fighters might help give an idea.
If Anna getting her own Star rank weapon in Fates is an indication, it's possible it'll be her main weapon from now on, which is good. But on the other hand, I'd have to rewrite my moveset
I wouldn't bet on it. Twice now Anna has simply been a thief-type character, right? The thieves in Fates use Bows. Anna will probably keep using Bows as her main weapon if thieves remain with Bows, otherwise she'll probably just use whatever weapon the thieves in-game have. Still, she could easily switch classes and get a unique Merchant class, and Merchant Anna tends to use lances.

I think Anna would still work fine as a melting pot regardless of whether playable Anna is stuck in one class set.

People who are expecting 6 characters are practically asking to be dissapointed.
Keep in mind guys that Sakurai has a much smaller team.
If Sakurai truly cared about making the CSS as organized as possible, all of the DLC characters and clones would have been with their respective series.
That said, it's a very small chance for it to happen, but I'm going to play it safe and predict that we're getting 3-4 more characters.
However, if we were to get 6 more characters, here are my predictions:
  1. Wolf
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Inklings
  4. Rayman
  5. Issac
  6. Snake or Shantae
No one is really expecting 6, though, lol.

A lot of characters gain second weapons upon promotion. Its rare, but some Lords don't have a special "unique" weapon exclusive to them. Robin ended up becoming a melting pot for this reason. Lyn could potentially be unique if they give her twin swords.

I am going to say, though, that I simply don't think we'll get another main Lord as playable in Smash if they don't have something unique to bring to the table. If by FE15 (Fates is 14) we don't have a unique main Lord whose main weapon isn't a sword, we'll either get Azura or Anna instead.

Since Anna has now been playable in two games as well, now, I think she'll likely remain as a staple playable character from now on, so she'll likely become a prime candidate if she is playable for a third game in a row, since she'll be the only major recurring playable character.

Something just occurred to me...might be because I see people saying to not expect 6 DLC characters. Normally, I would agree. However, I'm thinking here...so bear with me.

It's projected that Nintendo could potentially reveal the NX at E3 next year, with a potential release in November 2016. Who knows what it would launch with, but as we know, Smash gets a new installment every console cycle.

Here's where things get interesting. There was a listing on Amazon for Smash with a handful of the DLC. May or may not be for Wii U. However, what might the chances be of porting Smash Wii U to the NX with all DLC on disc?

To update the game and not make it seem like a cop out, Sakurai/Nintendo schedule DLC characters to release over a set amount of time. Instead of creating an all new version for the NX (mainly because of the poor Wii U) you just port this version, and add content.

Not to say there wouldn't be a new installment later on with the NX, but seriously...it could happen. If they WERE to add 10 DLC characters counting the ones we have, then the roster will have grown monumentally post release. 10 DLC character is a lot, but not if you take into consideration what the future MIGHT hold for the company/series.
If the NX releases next year I can see that as a possibility. I think literally EVERYBODY is jumping the gun, though, and I don't think its releasing next year. At best, the handheld and home console will be sold separately and the handheld will be released a year early. In addition to working on the NX, the handheld could also act as a replacement Wii U GamePad (and of course it can work on its own).

I still don't think the NX is launching next year, but everybody else on the internet seems to think so. Even then I think it'll be backwards compatible. Further reason for Smash Wii U to simply not be on NX, because it'd just be playable on it normally anyway. And with the cost of all this DLC I don't think they'd do a cheap bundle option on NX either.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I see no chance of all three characters being pre-ballot only. They will be fanservice, and at least one of them will for certain be an early ballot character. If the three characters were not all taken into consideration from the ballot, though, then Inklings, Wolf, and K. Rool are the most likely. K. Rool due to early ballot and massive popularity and requests even before the ballot, Inklings due to Splatoon's success, and Wolf is obvious.

Then they could've started other characters during or even when the ballot closed.

However, I think its just as likely they've only been working on TWO characters, and one more was decided just before the ballot ended, which is when the extra slot was found. If this is the case, the first two characters probably do not contain Wolf in it, since Wolf wouldn't be in development that long. The final slot would probably be Wolf instead.
Oh yeah, the chances of this happen are next to none, considering how much work would need to happen with each character. With what you said, I could also see them making 2 pre-ballot characters and showing off the first ballot one. The only problem now is that if this were the case, there could only be two ballot characters (6 pre-ballot and having more than 2 or 3 from the ballot is exceeding peoples expectations). I don't have a problem with that, though some people would be disappointed if that's all that was chosen from it.

If we take a look at what we have, we would have 7 DLC characters so far (The 4 in the game and the 3 slots within the data). I could see those last 3 slots being ballot, though it's strange they added the 3rd slot so late. There's a lot of different answers as to why, but none of them can be proven until this is all over. I feel like once the next character (or characters) is announced, then we can almost get a clear idea as to how many remaining ones we'll be getting.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well to be fair Micaiah and Ephriham don't use swords and are both main characters.
That's just a problem with timing though, Radiant dawn was too late for Brawl and too early for Smash 4 while Sacred stones was too early for Brawl too

No one is really expecting 6, though, lol.
I think it's very possible. lol

A lot of characters gain second weapons upon promotion. Its rare, but some Lords don't have a special "unique" weapon exclusive to them. Robin ended up becoming a melting pot for this reason. Lyn could potentially be unique if they give her twin swords.

I am going to say, though, that I simply don't think we'll get another main Lord as playable in Smash if they don't have something unique to bring to the table. If by FE15 (Fates is 14) we don't have a unique main Lord whose main weapon isn't a sword, we'll either get Azura or Anna instead.

Since Anna has now been playable in two games as well, now, I think she'll likely remain as a staple playable character from now on, so she'll likely become a prime candidate if she is playable for a third game in a row, since she'll be the only major recurring playable character.
Corrin has the whole dragon thing going for them though so there's that. I'm not sure how it'd work in a smash setting but it's there

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom