• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
For some reason you all seem to think the word fan service means the majority opinion and nothing else.
Well...yeah. Basic logic(as you claim we lack) says that fanservice is to appeal to a grand majority with what fans want, it's not like KKR, Inklings, etc. are at the top for no reason. There are many types of fanservice, yes, but in this case fanservice really means picking what the general consensus wants.

Me, I personally would entertain the idea of a single curveball choice, but I'm not putting much stock into it because of this definition of fanservice.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It doesn't have to be, but it doesn't mean Sakurai can agree with the DLC selection being entirely of requested characters.
Ryu is already an example of him surprising us with a character not wanted highly, but has merits and a fanbase within their franchise outside of Smash.
Ryu was unexpected, but he's also Ryu from the Street Fighter franchise. He isn't obscure. He's extremely well known. That's partially why he's done so well. A random obscure retro that hardly anyone knows isn't going to go over as well as Ryu from Street Fighter. That's what people have already been trying to tell you Blue.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
'I don't take his quote to the fullest personally' So...Ignoring it?
'At one point he said clones we're fan-service to the people who bought Melee' Source. Unless you're talking about Sakurai making Dr. Mario his own character, because in that case you missed the point
'and claimed many times he doesn't like adding just popular characters back in a Brawl interview' That's a game at launch. This is added content post launch. Big difference
'It may or may not be the fan-service that fans want he's claiming it to be, and may add someone unexpected and not picked from the ballot, but makes sense to a degree and holds merits to give variety to the character DLC selection.
Example: Chorus Kids'
Chorus Kids'only merit is being part of a big franchise despite there being more iconic characters to work with

****ing fixed.

lolno. As someone who wants Shantae, Shovel Knight and Mach Rider, you're giving these characters way too much credit. There are VERY niche
ALSO I BROUGHT UP RYU DAMMIT

Animal Crossing was bound to get something, being a very popular franchise. Not to mention I remember hearing people being upsetwhen Sakurai denied Villager previously

That's actually ****ing dumb. This isn't basic logic. Here is basic logic 'We want to make enough money to justify the cost of DLC characters, so instead of adding incredibly niche characters like Lip, we'll add K.Rool so we can make profit'
You're arguing from a purely business model. Luckily, Sakurai has never made any desicions based purely on money. Giving characters from a genre is servicing the fans of the genre, I don't see how you can argue that. Also tone down the hostility Asshat

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
For what it's worth, the Chorus Kids got little love during the ballot period and if they got cut due to the limitations of the 3DS, then they would be in the same situation as the Ice Climbers, with the disadvantage that they lack the popularity the Ice Climbers have.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The problem is we're arguing pleasing three generally smaller fanbases instead of pleasing members of the entire Smash fanbase, as well as parts of those smaller fanbases. Millions upon millions of people would freak out at the reveal of K.Rool or another top ballot choice. Not nearly the same amount would freak out over a character they've never seen/heard of before.

It's not that it COULDN'T happen. It's that "fanservice" is likely talking about the majority of fans. So characters that a majority are looking for.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I've been following this argument and I'm not understanding. So the argument is fanservice isn't the same as the majority opinion? That doesn't really make sense in my head, so if (theoretically) King K Rool was picked because he got the most votes that wouldn't qualify as fan service?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You're arguing from a purely business model. Luckily, Sakurai has never made any desicions based purely on money. Giving characters from a genre is servicing the fans of the genre, I don't see how you can argue that. Also tone down the hostility ******
Nintendo will also have an influence. Sakurai can't add who he wants. He has to add characters that will make money for Nintendo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You're arguing from a purely business model. Luckily, Sakurai has never made any desicions based purely on money. Giving characters from a genre is servicing the fans of the genre, I don't see how you can argue that. Also tone down the hostility ******
Dude. Making characters costs money. If a character isn't popular, they won't make enough money to justify the costs. Sakurai is a business man. You're not understanding anything here. This reminds me when someone said Sakurai would go 'People want King K.Rool and Krystal, I'll give them Dixie to appeal to both'. You HAVE to appeal to the majority
I love how I used a character who's a fan favourite among more than 100 characters 2 pages ago and most people said they wouldn't buy him due to unfamilairity, yet some people are trying to claim that as long as the character is popular in the fandom it's okay

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My overall stance is that fanservice could easily apply to any one of the top characters in the ballot. If they add Snake, Inklings and Bandanna Dee, you're appealing to mass quantities of the fans. If you add K.Rool, Wolf and Isaac, you're appealing to large amounts of the fans.

Adding 3 characters that few asked for is not going to do that. On the other hand, just because K.Rool is #1 or #2 doesn't mean he's instantly going to be added. It goes both ways, but even so, K.Rool is a hell of a lot more likely than obscure character nobody knows #623.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
AGAIN:
I'm NOT referring to obscure retros from obscure franchises.

Please read this again:
a character not wanted highly, but has merits and a fanbase within their franchise outside of Smash.
Every time we talk about unpopular characters, you guys assume it's an obscure retro arguers are referring to, this is why arguments like these last for a long time and go in circles again and again.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Dude. Making characters costs money. If a character isn't popular, they won't make enough money to justify the costs. Sakurai is a business man. You're not understanding anything here. This reminds me when someone said Sakurai would go 'People want King K.Rool and Krystal, I'll give them Dixie to appeal to both'. You HAVE to appeal to the majority
I love how I used a character who's a fan favourite among more than 100 characters 2 pages ago and most people said they wouldn't buy him due to unfamilairity, yet some people are trying to claim that as long as the character is popular in the fandom it's okay
Bro, I'm not saying add some obscure nobody character, i don't know where this alfassed notion keeps coming from, but it's wrong. If you're going to to argue with me, argue my ****ing points. And I don't get you're Ryu argument, because people like Ryu, and he was a good choice. Just yelling RYU HERPY DERP over and over again isn't gonna do anything to help your argument.

That said I've been following pre-game speculation since before Brawl, and this is by far the highest ratio of aggression to ignorance I've seen in 7+ years, bravo guys

I'm with BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 on this one, you guys are beyond arguing with, so I'm gonna be done responding here because the amount of sheer disrespect is mindnumbing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
AGAIN:
I'm NOT referring to obscure retros from obscure franchises.

Please read this again:
a character not wanted highly, but has merits and a fanbase within their franchise outside of Smash.

Every time we talk about unpopular characters, you guys assume it's an obscure retro arguers are referring to, this is why arguments like these last for a long time.
I used that in my Wild Card example though. Almost everybody said they didn't want it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Bro, I'm not saying add some obscure nobody character, i don't know where this alfassed notion keeps coming from, but it's wrong. If you're going to to argue with me, argue my ****ing points. And I don't get you're Ryu argument, because people like Ryu, and he was a good choice. Just yelling RYU HERPY DERP over and over again isn't gonna do anything to help your argument.

That said I've been following pre-game speculation since before Brawl, and this is by far the highest ratio of aggression to ignorance I've seen in 7+ years, bravo guys

I'm with BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 on this one, you guys are beyond arguing with, so I'm gonna be done responding here because the amount of sheer disrespect is mindnumbing.
You are telling me adding in a niche character to appeal to a small audience is a good decision for DLC. That's not how it works.
I brought up Ryu because he's a very popular video game character, despite how he isn't requested in Smash, ergo, overall popularity is a factor. Also, 7 years on this site yet your account was here since 2010. Lol GG m8

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The point with Ryu is that comparing him to "a character that could be added like him" is that any character who COULD would still be a popular choice.

There is quite literally no reason at this point to add a character that is "unpopular" or not "highly requested". They opened the ballot for suggestions, but the Top 15 is going to contain characters that hundreds of thousands to millions want.

What makes more sense? Adding a character that millions of people want, or a character that tens of thousands want? If we're talking about fanservice, we're talking about making decisions that make the most people happy. Characters like K.Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Inklings, Bandanna Dee, Snake, or even Wonder Red would please a majority of people. Wonder Red is even a bit of a reach.

Ryu sold like he did because he's Ryu from Street Fighter. So an "unpopular character with merit" is going to have to match Ryu from Street Fighter. I'd have to see an example before I could continue to argue it honestly.

EDIT: Would also like to add that we really shouldn't be disrespectful to each other here. This is a game we're talking about. I simply disagree.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
You are telling me adding in a niche character to appeal to a small audience is a good decision for DLC. That's not how it works.
I brought up Ryu because he's a very popular video game character, despite how he isn't requested in Smash, ergo, overall popularity is a factor. Also, 7 years on this site yet your account was here since 2010. Lol GG m8
I had a second account called Shinoandtheballon figher, look it up mate

Actually since you're probably too busy assaulting people, here it is:http://smashboards.com/members/shinoandtheballonfighter.77895/

P.S. you were right, it wasn't 7 years, it was 8
GG

Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I was referring to other people in your camp, you've been very civil, and I appreciate that

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Outside of here, there is an existing large RH fanbase for people to get interested in buying the character.
That kind of applies to every fanbase in existence. I can tell you that there's a fair amount of positivity towards the idea of non-Ridley Metroid characters in Smash(and yes, I am biased, but Sylux is the one I see supported the most), particularly in places like Reddit, but that doesn't change much.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
...Alt accounts aren't allowed on this site...
I changed accounts, there's a different. In 2010 I stopped using that one and made a new one. I haven't used Shino since 2010, if there was a way to close them I would. Alt accounts refer to accounts being used simultaneously, but hey, thanks for calling me a liar, I appreciated that

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I changed accounts, there's a different. In 2010 I stopped using that one and made a new one. I haven't used Shino since 2010, if there was a way to close them I would. Alt accounts refer to accounts being used simultaneously
Even then, I'm pretty sure you should just ask mods to ban the account in question. Not to mention you told me to look up the fact you had a second account, something that's not allowed to begin with . You also are a hypocrite. You called me ignorant for looking at business decisions based on DLC not being a base game with your claims being rather ludicrous...Yet you ignored how I EXPLAINED why I used Ryu as an argument and then you critisized me for not explaining it

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ryu sold like he did because he's Ryu from Street Fighter. So an "unpopular character with merit" is going to have to match Ryu from Street Fighter. I'd have to see an example before I could continue to argue it honestly.
Not everyone is Ryu though. For what it's worth, their fanbase outside of Smash should be at least decently big enough to make-up whatever cost it takes to make the character. RH's fanbase is big enough to be worth the cost of developing a RH character to sell well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not everyone is Ryu though. For what it's worth, their fanbase outside of Smash should be at least decently big enough to make-up whatever cost it takes to make the character. RH's fanbase is big enough to be worth the cost of developing a RH character to sell well.
I explained this to you enough times. Can I have some sales data on RH btw? I know Japan likes it but considering the newest game isn't being brought to the west, I'm curious

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Even then, I'm pretty sure you should just ask mods to ban the account in question. Not to mention you told me to look up the fact you had a second account, something that's not allowed to begin with . You also are a hypocrite. You called me ignorant for looking at business decisions based on DLC not being a base game with your claims being rather ludicrous...Yet you ignored how I EXPLAINED why I used Ryu as an argument and then you critisized me for not explaining it

Unless I missed it your argument was "some people didn't buy Ryu because they didn't know who he is" did you post a link or something to support that or?

And I asked you to look up a second account because you called me a liar instead of trusting me and then insulting me even though I was right instead of you know, asking a question about it, but that would be too nice for someone like you wouldn't it

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Guys; let's tone it down with the arguments please. It's really unneeded. I know we're all impatient and theorizing as to what Sakurai considers "fan-service" and "money-making", but let's not get angry at each other over this.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Unless I missed it your argument was "some people didn't buy Ryu because they didn't know who he is" did you post a link or something to support that or?

And I asked you to look up a second account because you called me a liar instead of trusting me and then insulting me even though I was right instead of you know, asking a question about it, but that would be too nice for someone like you wouldn't it
...You misunderstood me. I was trying to say that Ryu had no smash demand. But Ryu is one of gaming's most popular characters, therefore, he's justified
Considering my reaction to the fact you had a second account, it's obvious that I wouldn't believe you lurked for about 2 years, I didn't even call you a liar

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I explained this to you enough times. Can I have some sales data on RH btw? I know Japan likes it but considering the newest game isn't being brought to the west, I'm curious
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=rhythm+tengoku

Combining the sales of Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus:
http://gonintendo.com/stories/243929-japanese-software-sales-sept-21st-to-27th-top-50
19./18. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 6.830 / 475.059 (+16%)
Makes Rhythm Heaven one of Nintendo's top franchises, to justify a development cost.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The amount of ignorance towards Rhythm Heaven on this thread is bizarre. Try to educate yourselves before talking about something, guys.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
...You misunderstood me. I was trying to say that Ryu had no smash demand. But Ryu is one of gaming's most popular characters, therefore, he's justified
Considering my reaction to the fact you had a second account, it's obvious that I wouldn't believe you lurked for about 2 years, I didn't even call you a liar
Then I'm confused on how Ryu supports your argument, not mine

"Also, 7 years on this site yet your account was here since 2010. Lol GG m8" This is you calling me a liar. You don't have to be expected to believe me, since you don't seem like the kind of person to believe anyone can be honest, but you could have you know, asked, instead of assuming

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So if we could turn the "Let's Bash Every Potential DLC Character We Bring Up" thread into the "Official Character Discussion Thread"...That'd be great.

So I looked at a bunch of the weapons in Splatoon in action, and I've gotta say, I'm curious to see what they'd do with them. At first I was worried they would be too Mega Man-esque, but with all the gadgets the Inklings have I think the Inklings would make to be an interesting trap or zoning character.

It's not? Awww man. :crying:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
WADDA YA MEAN UNFORTUNATLY!!! Because Impa bias? How about we wish for both in the game instead of disliking a character because of a "them or us" mentality!

(If that's not what you meant then I apologize.)
Edit: redacted due computer error.
I dont think Impa and Sheik make sense to both be in the game- not unless they are the same slot. If we, for example, had both now... why would 1/3 of the Zelda representation be Sheikah? That isnt an accurate portrayal of what the Zelda series is about.

I would like Sheik more if Tetra were in, but I really dont think it Sheik had enough legacy to be added. I dont think she would have been added today, if not given how eerything has happened.
I guess that is what bothers me... I do judge the roster by todays standards, and by them, a good number of characters were ones we are de facto stuck with- added and now they are too precious to be removed.

Back to Sheik though, her play style pisses me off. Not even a reference to musicality (and music, being so important to the Zelda series, I find this disrespectful). Just a generic Ninja.

Reposting from the K. Rool thread in response to the prediction about there being 6 more DLC slots based on the CSC:

Ok, so I've decided to predict who I believe will be those 6 DLC character slots (if it turns out to be true, anyway, but this is just a guess).

In no particular order or ranking (with some text to distinguish them as Sakurai once did):

1. King K. Rool (Big Burly Krokodile)

2. Bandana Dee (Little Spear Wielder)

3. Isaac (Blonde Spell Master)

4. Wolf (Ferocious Melee Attacker) OR (Stellar Canine Brawler) :3

5. Shantae (Magic Genie Girl)

6. Rayman (Limbless Punching Hero)

To me, this is a very reasonable roster with a variety of characters that I think everybody would be happy with (although that's an understatement in a way). What do you guys think? Let's not start any arguments or anything though; that's not what I am intending.
I keep seeing people post these lists with Bandana Dee... and as much fun and advocacy as I throw the character, I would be exceptionally shocked to see him as DLC. Our little microcosm of polling- which is far reaching, redundant to the same communities, and upon guidelines we have personally decided (as we have quite frankly, no idea how this poll is being used)... they may rank him highly, but I doubt he will get in the game. If he does, he quite frankly would be a candidate who is perceived to be a Goomba. His name is not even a name, it wreaks of generic. He is not, I am aware, I just dont see that happening.

Ive said more since April, and hold steadfast to that idea. I think it will be in duos now though, rather than trios, as I had originally stated. I think the following ten characters are all in the realm of possibility, though I of course have bias that cannot be ignored here, mostly in some ignorance of other series:
Wolf, Ice Climbers, Dixie, K Rool, Chibi Robo, Captain Toad, Issac, Inkling, Rayman, Layton, Squirtle, Ivysaur, new Pokemon, Sami.

Of course not, Both could be very unique, I just think Krystal would be more unique, no one uses a way weapon in the same way she does. Just looking at Star Fox Adventures combat she's just oozing with uniqueness
The biggest point against Krystal is that, if we had 4 Starfox characters... why would SHE be the one to stand out? The vocabulary of what Starfox means in Smash bros is pretty well established- three characters with roots in similarity of style. This is why it *only* makes sense fr DIxie to, in fact, be a semi clone (please no arguments here on terminology... if someone does not understand the similarities between the Space Animals, the Psi kids, etc, I don't believe there is hope in us communicating).

Not enough people bring up the points that EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER breaks cannon, because they in fact DO represent their entire universe, at least to a certain degree. Smash bros has always been about colliding universes, not characters. We cannot remove a character from the context of which they come, because Sakurai never has done this. It is why Ridley has to be in some proportion to Samus, it is why Ninten could not be very different from Ness or Lucas, it is why some characters just stand out in the wrong way. I can get more elaborate her if I need to, but this is never a subject on these boards, and I feel it a necessary correction in oversight.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Then I'm confused on how Ryu supports your argument, not mine

"Also, 7 years on this site yet your account was here since 2010. Lol GG m8" This is you calling me a liar. You don't have to be expected to believe me, since you don't seem like the kind of person to believe anyone can be honest, but you could have you know, asked, instead of assuming
Because Ryu is popular. Blue said he wants unpopular characters
Again, I've always been under the belief alt accounts weren't allowed period. Why would I bother asking then? Not to mention I've been physically and mentally abused to the point I don't trust the internet and I know I'm too trusting to work at the cash register at the shop I work at. You're also making assumptions lol
I keep seeing people post these lists with Bandana Dee... and as much fun and advocacy as I throw the character, I would be exceptionally shocked to see him as DLC. Our little microcosm of polling- which is far reaching, redundant to the same communities, and upon guidelines we have personally decided (as we have quite frankly, no idea how this poll is being used)... they may rank him highly, but I doubt he will get in the game. If he does, he quite frankly would be a candidate who is perceived to be a Goomba. His name is not even a name, it wreaks of generic. He is not, I am aware, I just dont see that happening.
Bandana Dee is easily the biggest example of Ensemble Darkhorse in the Kirby fanbase and he's a reoccuring character. Any and all comparisons to Goombas are moot
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=rhythm+tengoku

Combining the sales of Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus:
http://gonintendo.com/stories/243929-japanese-software-sales-sept-21st-to-27th-top-50

Makes Rhythm Heaven one of Nintendo's top franchises, to justify a development cost.
That's actually quite meh for the second and third game actually

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
So if we could turn the "Let's Bash Every Potential DLC Character We Bring Up" thread into the "Official Character Discussion Thread"...That'd be great.

So I looked at a bunch of the weapons in Splatoon in action, and I've gotta say, I'm curious to see what they'd do with them. At first I was worried they would be too Mega Man-esque, but with all the gadgets the Inklings have I think the Inklings would make to be an interesting trap or zoning character.

It's not? Awww man. :crying:
A lot of people are worried that an Inkling would be too similar to Mii gunner, but interestingly enough several movesets in the Inkling thread are heavily based on a single weapon for melee attacks and different weapons for specials. One person suggested the Inklings use tentacles for all of her A button attacks. A while back I also made a moveset where the Inkling uses an Inkbrush as his/her main weapon, with the special attacks being the different weapons in splatoon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
A lot of people are worried that an Inkling would be too similar to Mii gunner, but interestingly enough several movesets in the Inkling thread are heavily based on a single weapon for melee attacks and different weapons for specials. One person suggested the Inklings use tentacles for all of her A button attacks. A while back I also made a moveset where the Inkling uses an Inkbrush as his/her main weapon, with the special attacks being the different weapons in splatoon.
As someone who hates Splatoon and would probably cry in a corner if they become playable as DLC before any character I wanted, saying they'd be similar to the Mii Gunner should earn you a smacked head

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
There are a number of reasons I find Sheik to be a very poor character.
1- Jigglypuff Syndrome. She made it in and now we are stuck with her simply because she once made it in. Part of this is just my distaste for how Sakurai treats series' in general. All creators are welcome to have bias... but ths is also a marketplace. I cannot believe how much hate the Pokemon series gets, particularly in how actual Nintendo all stars are thrown out the window, yet we get a fire Marth III to return.

Ive said more since April, and hold steadfast to that idea. I think it will be in duos now though, rather than trios, as I had originally stated. I think the following ten characters are all in the realm of possibility, though I of course have bias that cannot be ignored here, mostly in some ignorance of other series:
Wolf, Ice Climbers, Dixie, K Rool, Chibi Robo, Captain Toad, Issac, Inkling, Rayman, Layton, Squirtle, Ivysaur, new Pokemon, Sami.

The biggest point against Krystal is that, if we had 4 Starfox characters... why would SHE be the one to stand out? The vocabulary of what Starfox means in Smash bros is pretty well established- three characters with roots in similarity of style. This is why it *only* makes sense fr DIxie to, in fact, be a semi clone (please no arguments here on terminology... if someone does not understand the similarities between the Space Animals, the Psi kids, etc, I don't believe there is hope in us communicating).

Not enough people bring up the points that EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER breaks cannon, because they in fact DO represent their entire universe, at least to a certain degree. Smash bros has always been about colliding universes, not characters. We cannot remove a character from the context of which they come, because Sakurai never has done this. It is why Ridley has to be in some proportion to Samus, it is why Ninten could not be very different from Ness or Lucas, it is why some characters just stand out in the wrong way. I can get more elaborate her if I need to, but this is never a subject on these boards, and I feel it a necessary correction in oversight.
This is so stupid, just because a series has similar characters doesn't mean 1 can't stand out amongst them, Krystal has potential as a fighter and holding that back because the others are clones is stupid. This is easily the worst anti-Krystal argument I've heard and that's saying a lot

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Because Ryu is popular. Blue said he wants unpopular characters
Again, I've always been under the belief alt accounts weren't allowed period. Why would I bother asking then? Not to mention I've been physically and mentally abused to the point I don't trust the internet and I know I'm too trusting to work at the cash register at the shop I work at. You're also making assumptions lol

Bandana Dee is easily the biggest example of Ensemble Darkhorse in the Kirby fanbase and he's a reoccuring character. Any and all comparisons to Goombas are moot

That's actually quite meh for the second and third game actually
So you're arguing Blue's points and not mine (which you still don't understand apparently because that's not what he's saying), And I'm making educated guesses based on how you treat people, not assumptions.

But on the real, I'm actually done here, I'll come back when the argument isn't focused on misinterpretations and personal attacks

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There are a number of reasons I find Sheik to be a very poor character.
1- Jigglypuff Syndrome. She made it in and now we are stuck with her simply because she once made it in. Part of this is just my distaste for how Sakurai treats series' in general. All creators are welcome to have bias... but ths is also a marketplace. I cannot believe how much hate the Pokemon series gets, particularly in how actual Nintendo all stars are thrown out the window, yet we get a fire Marth III to return.
So you're saying that the fact you don't like these characters is because other characters aren't in the game...This makes me sad.

I dunno about the tentacle thing, but I think a combonation of the main weapons for the regular attacks, the whatumacallit (I'm just gonna call them uber weapons) weapons for the smash attacks, and the sub weapons for the special attacks could make them be really interesting fighters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm gonna go as far as to say we could have eight more characters, depending on how many had work done on them before the game launched. This is especially true for Wolf, Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Chorus Kids, Ridley, Dixie, and any other character who may have been below Bowser Jr in development initially. It honestly does seem that Sakurai wants to add as many as possible, at this point, and I think an eclectic blend is the way this will be done.

I hold out hope that because Sakurai likes Squirtle, even if no other Pokemon. POKEFLOATS proved this to some degree.
If no characters were intended to be cut when this game had been planned, it is possible the two starters already had assets in the game. Never forget, Pokemon and Mario, no matter what, will sell highly.

I'm hoping for a Christmas present (and also, will officially say goodbye to ICs if they are not out by Christmas).

The question is really, how was development handled? I am no programmer, but it seems working assembly line style makes less sense here. With a smaller team, making all the characters, testing them all at once, seems a lot more likely to me than *make one, even two, test, finish, start with more.* We should be looking at what is most cost-effective. There are algorithms and charts used in economics that help find the sweet spot of value versus time. This is what we should be looking at to determine how many characters we will get, or how many waves of development their likely were/will be. No part of me believes Sakurai would spend a year and only add a couple of characters, stages, and costumes. For all we know, we could in fact be getting a MASSIVE addition for the holidays, akin to Super Luigi U or the 50 percent addition of Mario Kart courses.

Again, lets push this point home, Sakurai spent an additional YEAR on this game for the DLC. What is his time worth to Nintendo to pay for to even make that happen? What would allow him to decide this is the bet option? Surely, it would take more than 6 characters, a tourny mode, and some costumes. Im going on record to claim we will get a huge addition, with more modes, events, and additions than we are considering at all. This includes a version exclusive to the new3DS.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So you're arguing Blue's points (which you still don't understand apparently because that's not what he's saying), And I'm making educated guesses based on how you treat people, not assumptions.

But on the real, I'm actually done here, I'll come back when the argument isn't focused on misinterpretations and personal attacks
Blue was arguing AGAINST popular characters though.
I'm not attacking you, and if you call a few posts educated guesses despite not being able to tell I thought any and all secondary accounts weren't allowed then I can't take you seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom