• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You could say that, but does that somehow warrant their inclusion?
Well Shovel Knight was very popular during the beginning of the ballot, and Shantae is one of, if not, the most requested third-party characters, I'd say it's a possibility.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Except YCG are providing the amiibo and Nintendo initially said no, not to mention Nintendo doesn't have any exclusive bosses or anything like the other versions do
With the golden stamp by nintendo on it?

And yes aware of all that

I want to not believe shovel knights getting in but its just all of the evidence reactly

Especially the one that yacht games shut up about asking for shovel knight

Companys always ask sakurai for character or talk about wanting the character for smash during the periods of smash.

Yacht games suddenly stopped

Sign of

A he got in or B or got rejected.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
How exactly would it make sense to pay homage to the indie community in a game that is 95% Nintendo with special guests added because of their monumental, decades old impact on the games industry as a whole?

The idea doesn't resonate with me, it seems forced more than anything to include either Shantae or Shovel Knight over other third parties.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It just seems likely he got rejected. Based on the criteria on the page before, I'd imagine he really does need to develop more star power. Nintendo actually refused to make the amiibo themselves. Why would they want him the game that they fund? The amiibo has that label because it is still an amiibo, which is a Nintendo property. They just licensed YCG to make a Shovel Knight.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
By your logic, Yooka and Laylee are confirmed then

Also surprise, surprise, yet ANOTHER ungrateful 3rd party demanding that their character be put in an All Star game. Where they will not only get basically being PAID to have their character in the game all while offering nothing of substance to Nintendo (how many Metal Gear Solid and Street Fighter games did Nintendo platforms again)

And I'm 99% sure that Shovel Knight 2 will either NOT be on a Nintendo console or the Nintendo version will be gimped.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
How exactly would it make sense to pay homage to the indie community in a game that is 95% Nintendo with special guests added because of their monumental, decades old impact on the games industry as a whole?

The idea doesn't resonate with me, it seems forced more than anything to include either Shantae or Shovel Knight over other third parties.
To be fair, indies are pretty popular candidates for Smash now, fans have been requesting for their inclusion like crazy, just look up a google image search for, "Shantae Smash Bros".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
With the golden stamp by nintendo on it?

And yes aware of all that

I want to not believe shovel knights getting in but its just all of the evidence reactly

Especially the one that yacht games shut up about asking for shovel knight

Companys always ask sakurai for character or talk about wanting the character for smash during the periods of smash.

Yacht games suddenly stopped

Sign of

A he got in or B or got rejected.
Nintendo owns the amiibo trademark, of course it'll have the seal of quality. You're looking to far into it, YCG consists of about 5 nerds who love joking with people. Nothing YCG has said is any possible indication that Butt Butt gets in Smash

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

"You got your big name third-party video game characters throughout Smash history like Snake! Sonic! Mega Man! Pac-Man, Ryu..... and these two indi- Hey, wait a minute!"

Yeah, Shantae and Shovel Knight simply.... doesn't belong.

Edit: Come to think of it, wouldn't Wayforward and Yatch Club be legally obliged to have a share of the earnings gained from a hypothetical Shantae and Shovel Knight DLC?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
"You got your big name third-party video game characters throughout Smash history like Snake! Sonic! Mega Man! Pac-Man, Ryu..... and these two indi- Hey, wait a minute!"

Yeah, Shantae and Shovel Knight simply.... doesn't belong.
Doesn't Snake seem a bit like an oddball compared to the others too?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
By your logic, Yooka and Laylee are confirmed then

Also surprise, surprise, yet ANOTHER ungrateful 3rd party demanding that their character be put in an All Star game. Where they will not only get basically being PAID to have their character in the game all while offering nothing of substance to Nintendo (how many Metal Gear Solid and Street Fighter games did Nintendo platforms again)

And I'm 99% sure that Shovel Knight 2 will NOT be on a Nintendo console or the Nintendo version will be gimped.
Define ungrateful and show how they are demanding it
Dude, Snake got in due to Sakojima being OTP and Ryu's THE fighting game character who got in the top 20 best selling SNES games. Twice.
HAHAHAno. That's dumb. More than 50% of SK's total sales were on Nintendo systems and YCG are pretty nice guys

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
To be fair, indies are pretty popular candidates for Smash now, fans have been requesting for their inclusion like crazy, just look up a google image search for, "Shantae Smash Bros".
Yeah...you know who else has been requested like crazy?

Lots of Nintendo characters. Even the lesser ones can turn up a lot of results. Using the Google image search example, "Sylux Smash" is practically dominated with links to my thread and content on other sites.

And that's without going into the massively requested characters.

Doesn't Snake seem a bit like an oddball compared to the others too?
Snake is still a decades old character(28 years) from a series that helped define the stealth genre and has sold amazingly well.

Hell, for some irony, Shovel Knight doesn't have Nintendo exclusive content in the 3DS/U versions while Nintendo ports of Metal Gear games have Mario/Yoshi references.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Also this Shante/Shovel Knight situations reeks of confirmation bias. Like before their respective companies gave even vague hints, no one were expecting them. Kind of like how no one expected Ryu. Now all of sudden, people think they're a shoo in. As if their franchises rival that of Sonic the ****ing Hedgehog.

It's that ridiculous rumor where everyone expected the Chorus Kids all over again.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Also this Shante/Shovel Knight situations reeks of confirmation bias. Like before their respective companies gave even vague hints, no one were expecting them. Kind of like how no one expected Ryu. Now all of sudden, people think they're a shoo in.

It's that ridiculous rumor where everyone expected the Chorus Kids all over again.
No one here thinks either of those indies are a shoo-in regardless. I'll have to fine you if you jump to conclusions again

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
No one here thinks either of those indies are a shoo-in regardless. I'll have to fine you if you jump to conclusions again
It's nice to know that you can speak for everyone here. So, since you know what we all "THINK" about these indies, tell me: What am I thinking about them now?

I'll have to fine you if you pull more nonsensical over-generalizations and claims to speak for the entire community out your rear again.

Especially since you haven't been paying attention to several of the people in the thread, who have, at the very least, presented a clear front that they DO think that Shovel Knight is a shoo-in, even if they claim otherwise.

"Oh no, he's not a shoo in at all guys. Now let me tell you exactly why he's going to get in, why Sakurai chose him, and why you all are wrong."

I'm paraphrasing, but that is EXACTLY the viewpoint that is being presented by several people in this thread.

Also, why the HECK are there Crashboards now?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's nice to know that you can speak for everyone here. So, since you know what we all "THINK" about these indies, tell me: What am I thinking about them now?

I'll have to fine you if you pull more nonsensical over-generalizations and claims to speak for the entire community out your rear again.

Especially since you haven't been paying attention to several of the people in the thread, who have, at the very least, presented a clear front that they DO think that Shovel Knight is a shoo-in, even if they claim otherwise.

"Oh no, he's not a shoo in at all guys. Now let me tell you exactly why he's going to get in, why Sakurai chose him, and why you all are wrong."

I'm paraphrasing, but that is EXACTLY the viewpoint that is being presented by several people in this thread.

Also, why the HECK are there Crashboards now?
Fine, nobody who's smart thinks Shantae or Shovel Knight are 100% in already. Seeing as I'd love both, this can't even be 'muh bias'. Literally no one is a shoo-in, not to mention most this thread hates the possibility of an indie character. Some people think even Wolf isn't a shoo-in

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Fine, nobody who's smart thinks Shantae or Shovel Knight are 100% in already. Seeing as I'd love both, this can't even be 'muh bias'. Literally no one is a shoo-in, not to mention most this thread hates the possibility of an indie character. Some people think even Wolf isn't a shoo-in
I don't think the rumors are 100% confirmed yet, however they hold up quite well, and it actually makes sense for indies to be added.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think the rumors are 100% confirmed yet, however they hold up quite well, and it actually makes sense for indies to be added.
I find that quite debatable, to say the least.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I rest my case.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
How do they hold up?
There's no hard evidence of being real.
I've asked Push several times about Shovel Knight, he said that the source checks out well, and there are other things that support the rumor that he wasn't aloud to talk about. And Sakurai visiting Wayforward Technologies does raise an eyebrow, so that's something to keep an eye on.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even Push himself isn't 100% confident in it and Neo Zero, the other mod who supports this rumour, has been wrong before.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I wouldn't put much stock in a rumor that:

a) whose main supporter isn't 100% sure
b) has a co-supporter who has been wrong before regarding rumors
c) would be a highly questionable decision as it is

We've been duped in regards to rumors before. We just have to be cautious and patient.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
How does it make sense for indies to be added?

Look at things this way: people still want Snake in the game. Indie devs have no history, no proven longevity. Shovel Knight and Yacht Club might not even exist when the next installment comes up. But they'll still have people clamoring for them as "veterans worthy of being in-game", and everyone else would laugh at Nintendo for crippling their iconic All-Star roster with a character that is just a fad.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
How does it make sense for indies to be added?

Look at things this way: people still want Snake in the game. Indie devs have no history, no proven longevity. Shovel Knight and Yacht Club might not even exist when the next installment comes up. But they'll still have people clamoring for them as "veterans worthy of being in-game", and everyone else would laugh at Nintendo for crippling their iconic All-Star roster with a character that is just a fad.
It makes sense because it's what the fans want, there's been alot of requests for these characters, so it makes alot of sense in effort to appeal to fans who've been requesting these characters. And it'd give the opportunity for the team to branch out towards other, more smaller, developers.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I read through that whole thing... its AWESOME, I love it. It shows that Japanese fans are a lot like us. We have a lot of the same debates, many of the same high requests, and also request many of our own characters who haven't gone overseas yet.

Hes the only third party thats not playable in smash to get one of these even though its not smash bros themed.
So? Yacht Club pushed for the Amiibo themselves, they are producing the figures and distributing them. Nintendo only approved it and allow them to use the name and tech.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It makes sense because it's what the fans want, there's been alot of requests for these characters, so it makes alot of sense in effort to appeal to fans who've been requesting these characters. And it'd give the opportunity for the team to branch out towards other, more smaller, developers.
Yeah...you know who else has been requested like crazy?

Lots of Nintendo characters.
Recycling is good.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It makes sense because it's what the fans want, there's been alot of requests for these characters, so it makes alot of sense in effort to appeal to fans who've been requesting these characters.
The fans want a lot of things.

And it'd give the opportunity for the team to branch out towards other, more smaller, developers.
Is that something Smash wants to do, though?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I wouldn't put much stock in a rumor that:

a) whose main supporter isn't 100% sure
b) has a co-supporter who has been wrong before regarding rumors
c) would be a highly questionable decision as it is

We've been duped in regards to rumors before. We just have to be cautious and patient.
I've made it clear several times I'm not 100% set on these rumors, we just need to wait and see.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Directs are usually on Wednesdays so we'd already have an announcement if it were this week sadly. November's the earliest I'd expect a Direct
Directs have been any day of the week, and they've announced Directs THE DAY before.

I disagree, I fully expect a Direct this month. Maybe not this week, but definitely pretty quickly. November is too late. They can have one in October and cover the rest of this year and early next year, then announce a few new things such as Retro's project, Pikmin 4, and show off more on Zelda U.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I actually find the "that doesn't make sense" viewpoint pretty funny.
You know what else doesn't make sense? The inclusion of Dark Pit, the removal of Break the Targets, and Smash Tour.
This is Sakurai were're talking about. Sense is thrown out the window.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm only trying to find reasons for why they'd choose these characters, tbph there has to be reasons as to why they'd do these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom