• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This is admittedly a random thought, but what if the 6 month wait we've endured for the next character(s) includes a CGI trailer?Animations are time consuming things, and that's without considering the possibility of several characters.

That's just me though.
Well, Ryu (currently the only true newcomer we've gotten through DLC) had a trailer that at least was partially CGI. It's possible that we'll see something similar with future newcomers.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I just hope Daisy gets some recognition besides that colour swap...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I must say, I'm impressed we managed to make it to seemingly seven DLC characters. I remember last year (before Mewtwo got announced, of course), I thought that if we were getting DLC fighters, it'd just be about three or four.

The roster count for this game will be crazy. You have the 48 base characters, the three Mii Fighters, and then the seven additional DLC slots and that'll will be about 58 total playable characters.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Lemme see some Paper Mario and King K. Rool action in Smash!

And I'd like to see Squirtle and/or Ivysaur to return.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
So the ballot ends October 3 midnight?

Or October 4 midnight?

The 3rd slot gives me hope for Snake, since if there were only two, I think Wolf would definitely snatch one, and K. Rool probably another. But Snake can hold his own against Isaac, Inkling, Bandanna Dee. I'm not going to expect him to be in, that's silly. But I'm hoping for the best.
After messing up the Ice Climbers, the least Sakurai can do is bring back the only possible unique veteran. :denzel:

Burruni

Smash Hero
So the ballot ends October 3 midnight?

Or October 4 midnight?

The 3rd slot gives me hope for Snake, since if there were only two, I think Wolf would definitely snatch one, and K. Rool probably another. But Snake can hold his own against Isaac, Inkling, Bandanna Dee. I'm not going to expect him to be in, that's silly. But I'm hoping for the best.
After messing up the Ice Climbers, the least Sakurai can do is bring back the only possible unique veteran. :denzel:
:4mewtwo:
Forget about him being the original cut unique veteran?

Or
:squirtle::ivysaur:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm a little skeptical on King K. Rool. He's definitely one of the most supported characters, if not the most. But at the same time, this ballot doesn't ensure anything. I don't consider him as likely as most people seem to, but that's just a gut feeling.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well I think based on Sakurai's statement being that the DLC was for fanservice, K Rool has the best CHANCE. That chance word is important though. Chances aren't a lock, even if you have the best chance. This thread has been ignoring what the word "chance" means. Logically, K. Rool definitely has the largest chance, which is all we have to go off of. To argue that point is to basically be neglecting what has been backed by quite a bit of evidence from various fan-made polls with responses from many different places on the internet. But again, he just has a chance, like everyone else.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm a little skeptical on King K. Rool. He's definitely one of the most supported characters, if not the most. But at the same time, this ballot doesn't ensure anything. I don't consider him as likely as most people seem to, but that's just a gut feeling.
He's also got a big following in Japan, as well as a big following in the West, who have all probably voted for him. There's no way he isn't a likely pick; Nintendo certainly has to know that people want K.Rool, and he's proving a dominating force in the DLC newcomers range in Japan, too, which makes it all the more likely that he'll either be DLC for this game or will be prioritized for the next one.

The only way I could see K.Rool not being made DLC in Smash 4 is if Sakurai thinks the costume's good enough of a representation of him. Which, judging by the fact that it's only made everybody work harder to spread the King's name, seems like it's not satisfactory to the fans...and that would defeat the purpose of a fanservice ballot, wouldn't it?

Honestly, K.Rool has the best chances of the newcomers to get in; he's a big name contender, Nintendo knows that we want K.Rool as a fighter and K.Rool support's been going strong throughout the ballot's entire lifespan. At this point, they'd literally need to turn a blind eye to K.Rool to not figure out that he's a prime canidate.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
On the subject of K. Rool, I think he has a fair chance. He's easily one of the most requested characters out there, and has a huge (and quite successful) movement to back him up, even despite his absence in recent years. Honestly, it says a lot about how much he's wanted when there's still massive demand for him after all these years. As far as possible choices for DLC go, he's one of the most ideal, and as such it would be silly for Sakurai to not at least consider him, and at that point, his credentials and potential as a unique addition to the roster could win Sakurai over.

Of course, he has his obstacles, like his absence from the DK series and his Mii costume, which Sakurai may see as reasons not to include him. Still, K. Rool remains one of the smarter choices for DLC, and I think we could see him added in the near future. He's by no means a shoo-in, but he's definitely one of the more noteworthy candidates.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Of course, he has his obstacles, like his absence from the DK series and his Mii costume, which Sakurai may see as reasons not to include him. Still, K. Rool remains one of the smarter choices for DLC, and I think we could see him added in the near future. He's by no means a shoo-in, but he's definitely one of the more noteworthy candidates.
I can see it now:

“I definitely know that King K Rool’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made King K Rool as a fighter, it wouldn’t be King K Rool any longer.” - Sakurai.

IMO, sure he said its all fan service, but let's be real here, Sakurai will add characters he can make original and fun in his opinion. I'd say anyone in top 30 is fair game.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This theory's been posted before, but...~

Guess what month it is.

Guess what happens this month.

Guess who's been konfirmed as a Mii kostume.

Guess who dresses up in krazy kostumes.

That's right, it's Khrom.

obvs~

Burruni

Smash Hero
See, there are four things that gets to me about K. Rool's abscence with the DK series (namely just the two Returns games) that makes me feel that it isn't that much of a detriment for his cause.

1) Sakurai's still aware enough of his popularity and such to have him be given the Kostume in the first place, and given his last appearance was 8 years ago, is a little surprising.

2) The usage of Kritters in Smash run. Maybe this is just me but it felt good to see Kremlings being used in something besides a Mario sports game and it.. just feels like it's a nod to the DKC trilogy (+64) that had such dominating stay.

3) The trophy. The fact that it cites him as "DK's Bowser" along gives a message of his prevelence in spite of his absence.

4) Citing SF2 above all else for Ryu. Call me a straw grasper but considering that the DKC trilogy makes up 3 of the top 12 selling games of the SNES (2 of the top 10 and 1 of the top 5) and in fact holding DKC1 at #2, that just feels like that may be a push for the success then alone with two versions of SF2 being in that same listing.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I love the latest data mine; it gives us a hint at how many characters are coming up without actually revealing who they are. Soccer Guy REALLY learned from the Royu incident.

Here's hoping Wolf and Snake are next in line for DLC.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
IMO, sure he said its all fan service, but let's be real here, Sakurai will add characters he can make original and fun in his opinion. I'd say anyone in top 30 is fair game.
True, but again I can't see Sakurai skipping over guys like K.Rool and Ridley for an indie character like Shovel Knight. It's highly probable that K.Rool is one of the headliners here. They explicitly said it's fanservice, and thus it's likely Sakurai wants to choose somone who is fanservice to both the West and the East. K.Rool fits this perfectly; he's a hugely popular canidate in Japan and he's a hugely popular canidate in America.

I find it highly unlikely anybody else is overshadowing him at the moment, aside from maybe Wolf. No other newcomer can claim to have the immense worldwide desire that K.Rool seems to have.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So apparently there's only 3 character slots that have been found with datamining.
Be happy that one slot was found

True, but again I can't see Sakurai skipping over guys like K.Rool and Ridley for an indie character like Shovel Knight. It's highly probable that K.Rool is one of the headliners here. They explicitly said it's fanservice, and thus it's likely Sakurai wants to choose somone who is fanservice to both the West and the East. K.Rool fits this perfectly; he's a hugely popular canidate in Japan and he's a hugely popular canidate in America.

I find it highly unlikely anybody else is overshadowing him at the moment, aside from maybe Wolf. No other newcomer can claim to have the immense worldwide desire that K.Rool seems to have.
Please don't mention Shovel Knight in the context of what I was saying. I think that he has less than 1% chance of being added.

And yeah I totally understand that, which is why he and Wolf are two of my 3 picks. I'm just saying, don't be too stunned.

It's crazy he wasn't added in the base game to begin with. Especially since Sakurai said, that Ryu and Roy were the final preballot characters. Sakurai thinks some way about King K in my opinion, we will learn what that is very soon.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool's lack of Retro DKC showings and costume may be reasons to suspect his chances as fans, but they're not "obstacles" to him getting in. All it would take for Sakurai to overcome those supposed problems is to say "He has not appeared recently and I chose to make a costume of him. Fans still want him in overwhelming numbers, though, so who cares? INCLUDE!"

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I have told you guys before yet you mark me as spam and laughed :/
It's called replying.
Try it sometime.
Even though your full of it.

character placeholder slots found in 1.1.1
You said slots, indicating more than one.
Multiple weren't found, only one was.

For those that don't know he claimed character slots were found, sourcegaming replied to it shortly after he posted and went silent until today.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Tomorrow, everything about Smash as we know it will change...

Make sure you have everything you need for your hate bunkers and anti-salt devices, because you will need them

And If sometype of Assist Trophy character is picked to make it into the game....nothing could protect us then...

May Daddy Sakuri protect us all!

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hope at least one of the characters is unpredictable.
But doesn't cause controversy.
A widely accepted unpredictable character, would be nice.
...I don't really know who that would be but something like Banjo, but not necessarily Banjo.

IDK, I just like surprises.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
He's also got a big following in Japan, as well as a big following in the West, who have all probably voted for him. There's no way he isn't a likely pick; Nintendo certainly has to know that people want K.Rool, and he's proving a dominating force in the DLC newcomers range in Japan, too, which makes it all the more likely that he'll either be DLC for this game or will be prioritized for the next one.

The only way I could see K.Rool not being made DLC in Smash 4 is if Sakurai thinks the costume's good enough of a representation of him. Which, judging by the fact that it's only made everybody work harder to spread the King's name, seems like it's not satisfactory to the fans...and that would defeat the purpose of a fanservice ballot, wouldn't it?

Honestly, K.Rool has the best chances of the newcomers to get in; he's a big name contender, Nintendo knows that we want K.Rool as a fighter and K.Rool support's been going strong throughout the ballot's entire lifespan. At this point, they'd literally need to turn a blind eye to K.Rool to not figure out that he's a prime canidate.
I'm not saying he's unlikely, I just do not believe he's a shoo-in or close to that. I thought nearly the same thing that you posted during Sm4sh speculation and was extremely surprised that he didn't appear.

My question is, if King K. Rool has always been so popular and requested. Why hasn't he appeared yet? You'd think someone like the King would've appeared by now.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
I hope at least one of the characters is unpredictable.
But doesn't cause controversy.
A widely accepted unpredictable character, would be nice.
...I don't really know who that would be but something like Banjo, but not necessarily Banjo.

IDK, I just like surprises.
I think Bomberman is a character that fits this description.
Which is funny because of the leak that happened back in september.

other characters could be Dixie and any Zelda newcomer

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
A great surprise character would be Chibi Robo......

Vote Chibi Robo!

I had to plug this in somewhere

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm not saying he's unlikely, I just do not believe he's a shoo-in or close to that. I thought nearly the same thing that you posted during Sm4sh speculation and was extremely surprised that he didn't appear.

My question is, if King K. Rool has always been so popular and requested. Why hasn't he appeared yet? You'd think someone like the King would've appeared by now.
Perhaps the circumstances weren't right back then.

With the massive following he has from industry figures and fans for DLC now, it's easy to see why people think he's got the biggest shot. If you ask me, his popularity now puts his pre-release fame to shame.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I think that this may be the DLC:

Wolf (Veteran)
Bandana Dee (First-Party Newcomer)
Shovel Knight (Third-Party Newcomer)

And most likely a fourth character. And most likely a Second-Party Newcomer. Maybe Issac, or Chibi-Robo?

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Well it would be nice if we could round out some of the original 12's big bads to the Smash 4 roster, as DLC.
If not, perhaps those will be some of the front runners for the next Smash...

Mario & Luigi - Bowser ✔
Donkey Kong - King K. Rool
Link - Ganondorf ✔
Samus - Ridley
Captain Falcon - Black Shadow
Ness - Giegue
Yoshi - Baby Bowser?(Bowser Jr. ALT?)/Bowser?/Kamek?
Kirby - King DeDeDe ✔
Fox - Wolf ✔
Pikachu & Jigglypuff - Mewtwo ✔

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
A great surprise character would be Chibi Robo......

Vote Chibi Robo!

I had to plug this in somewhere
Hey, two can play at this game!

VOTE LYN! Every vote will put her a cut above the rest!

am I doing this right? I hope I didn't just sheath her chances

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, honest question, out of Isaac or Bandana Dee, which one is perceived as more likely? They both are super popular in one region and decently popular everywhere else, both are from arguably underrepped series, one's Golden Sun (No reps) and the other's Kirby. One of the things I could see tipping the scales in favor of one would be their future, and Bandana Dee seems to have the stronger future, but I could also see Sakurai's personal bias getting in the way of Bandana Dee (Who's character only really developed after Sakurai left) so personally I think their about even, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something that makes the other more likely?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So, honest question, out of Isaac or Bandana Dee, which one is perceived as more likely? They both are super popular in one region and decently popular everywhere else, both are from arguably underrepped series, one's Golden Sun (No reps) and the other's Kirby. One of the things I could see tipping the scales in favor of one would be their future, and Bandana Dee seems to have the stronger future, but I could also see Sakurai's personal bias getting in the way of Bandana Dee (Who's character only really developed after Sakurai left) so personally I think their about even, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something that makes the other more likely?
Bandana Dee, more popular worldwide, more relevency, but as I stated above I could see him being added as a second-party character.

I previously though Isaac was more likely, but now I think Dee is the more likely one. BDee is popular in both Japan and West, while Isaac is more popular in West but has only middling popularity in Japan, and Golden Sun's future is debatable.

EDIT: But I still see Isaac as one of the most likely characters.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
and then this happened

they added a slot. Looking like a minimum of 3 characters as DLC
Isaac or GTFO

Fo rlz tho, it's looking like we might only get another 3 characters as DLC. With that in mind, i'm really hopeful that at least one of those characters is Isaac. I honestly don't care if the other 2 characters are disappointing like Shovel Knight and some other indie character. Isaac being DLC alongside with the already released Roy is enough to make me a happy fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom