• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Is inconsistency in "for fun" video-game "politics" honestly that much of a problem? You make it sound as though we have a presidential candidate that keeps on flip-flopping on relevant social issues.
In reality, they've always wanted Rayman, and they gave Sakurai a working model to put him in the game, but we all know how that turned out. They obviously were playing humble during the Rayman leak.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In reality, they've always wanted Rayman, and they gave Sakurai a working model to put him in the game, but we all know how that turned out. They obviously were playing humble during the Rayman leak.
What were they supposed to do, play along with the faker's leak?

They played humble because doing it any other way could have resulted in a bigger issue that was most likely not convenient for them at the time. And that was before the ballot, to boot.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
What were they supposed to do, play along with the faker's leak?

They played humble because doing it any other way could have resulted in a bigger issue that was most likely not convenient for them at the time. And that was before the ballot, to boot.
Fair point, I'll give you that. In the end, it's Ubisoft, so it's not unexpected.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
In reality, they've always wanted Rayman, and they gave Sakurai a working model to put him in the game, but we all know how that turned out.
If your saying that they sent a model in hopes of having him playable, no, that's not true. The model they sent was just for a trophy and trophy only.

Morbi

Scavenger
If your saying that they sent a model in hopes of having him playable, no, that's not true. The model they sent was just for a trophy and trophy only.
To be fair, they probably hoped that the trophy would inspire Sakurai to actually add him in as a character. I mean, that sounds vaguely reminiscent of that guy who wants to take you out to dinner and ONLY dinner.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In terms of how long it takes to develop a character, to some extent, it is what Sakurai and co. make of it. You could argue that all the characters they're patching each update still aren't "finished," because there are still things you can do to create a more refined playing experience with those characters.

At the same time, between whenever Mewtwo started development and his release in April, the team had time to get mostly, if not entirely done with four characters, at least to a point where they could be released. It's been six months since then, roughly a similar time frame, and unless they release four more characters all at once next Direct, they'll have even more time if they plan for more than the two Mario spots.

I personally doubt they've been twiddling their thumbs since June with characters, and that a few measly ported stages and costumes took up that much of their time. If it's such an arduous task to "keep the team together," why not make the most of that time by being productive with at least one or two new characters?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Huh, well no wonder Nicallas hasn't done that with Quote already.
To be fair, they probably hoped that the trophy would inspire Sakurai to actually add him in as a character. I mean, that sounds vaguely reminiscent of that guy who wants to take you out to dinner and ONLY dinner.
Actually, that sounds pretty accurate.

Last edited:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
That exactly describes Ubisoft as a company. It seems pretty clear to me that they were practically begging for Rayman to be in Smash. If they had thought they could get away with it they probably would sent an Ezio trophy too with the same idea.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That exactly describes Ubisoft as a company. It seems pretty clear to me that they were practically begging for Rayman to be in Smash. If they had thought they could get away with it they probably would sent an Ezio trophy too with the same idea.
*Heard the word Unity continusly echo in the background...*

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
That's a possibility, but we don't know for sure.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

We're through almost all of the ballot.

When do you think the characters will be announced?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So...

i'm expecting the ballot to end and we get some sort of countdown to the firt character like a clock or something.I'm expectnig first character sometime at the end of october or mid/late November

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My money's on next week.
i'm expecting the ballot to end and we get some sort of countdown to the firt character like a clock or something.I'm expectnig first character sometime at the end of october or mid/late November
So soon?

Jeez you guys are pretty optimistic about this.

Morbi

Scavenger
So...

I believe that one of them will be announced around Halloween. I doubt that they will announce all of the characters at once, but I could see another announcement around Christmas too. Maybe it is just because I enjoy holidays, but I feel as though they are ideal times to get people interested in DLC or games in general, really. Maybe a pre-ballot character will be announced on the third, come out around Halloween when the next character is announced. So on, so forth. Or, you know, maybe we will get our announcements next year.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I would hate to be that person, but in that event, the number of "Marios" in the data mine is the opposite of arbitrary.
I admit I was a bit vague, but I think I had the right word.

Not "arbitrary" strctly, but perhaps trivial.

They were fine with three trophies when there was no chance of Rayman being added to the roster.

Now that the door is open, I don't see why they won't go for it.
I'm sure they've approached Nintendo with including Rayman.

This is Ubisoft, king of paid DLC we're talking about.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So...

I recall hearing some Splatoon data miner saying that a big update for the game was coming Oct. 16, and was thus predicting a Direct for Oct. 14. I'll say a ballot reveal or two will happen then...characters aren't just going to explode onto the website the moment the ballot closes, but they'll want the reveals to happen reasonably close to the close so as to keep fans' interest.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I recall hearing some Splatoon data miner saying that a big update for the game was coming Oct. 16, and was thus predicting a Direct for Oct. 14. I'll say a ballot reveal or two will happen then...characters aren't just going to explode onto the website the moment the ballot closes, but they'll want the reveals to happen reasonably close to the close so as to keep fans' interest.
I mean, just because the data's there doesn't mean it'll magically pop up on x day (unless it's post-dated or something).

Smooth Criminal

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I personally doubt they've been twiddling their thumbs since June with characters, and that a few measly ported stages and costumes took up that much of their time. If it's such an arduous task to "keep the team together," why not make the most of that time by being productive with at least one or two new characters?
Exactly, that's why I'd be surprised if Sakurai and co. hadn't started working on any ballot fighters yet. I think that making the mii costume and stage DLC (especially the Super Mario Maker stage) and getting tournament mode set up probably did take some time, but unless the Smash 4 DLC team is smaller than we realize, I don't think doing that stuff would prevent them from at least getting started on more DLC fighters.

Of course, there's definitely the counterargument that Sakurai and co. don't want to start working on ballot DLC stuff before the ballot's officially over. Although I think that makes some sense, it sounds like the fighter ballot is more of a suggestion box than a real ballot, so I don't know that they'd feel compelled to count or look through all of the votes before choosing one of the ballot fighters.

So...

I really don't know, haha. I could see some kind of announcement from Sakurai/Nintendo about the ballot this weekend or next week though, whether it's just "thanks for voting," a ballot fighter release schedule, or an actual character announcement.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If they have (a) character(s) in store(because what else were you doing since June), I imagine they would be revealed in a Direct, perhaps mid-October or early November as a taste of what's to come. Following that, they make steady announcements so as to maintain a level of interest from fans.

Because let's face it, as awesome as it was to have Roy and Ryu release on the same day as Lucas, the drought that followed was probably not worth it. One at a time would have been better.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hmm...

They could have taken x characters from the first half of the ballot, and x half from the last half, allowing for an early release from a ballot choice in the near future.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
A countdown would be insane.

The tension would be palpable.

So soon?

Jeez you guys are pretty optimistic about this.
Wintropy?

Optimistic?

Never~ ;3

I really don't know, haha. I could see some kind of announcement from Sakurai/Nintendo about the ballot this weekend or next week though, whether it's just "thanks for voting," a ballot fighter release schedule, or an actual character announcement.
I'm kind of expecting Sakurai to say "thanks for voting, here's a teaser for the first character" sometime within the next week.

I mean, I hope.

If they have (a) character(s) in store(because what else were you doing since June), I imagine they would be revealed in a Direct, perhaps mid-October or early November as a taste of what's to come. Following that, they make steady announcements so as to maintain a level of interest from fans.

Because let's face it, as awesome as it was to have Roy and Ryu release on the same day as Lucas, the drought that followed was probably not worth it. One at a time would have been better.
Bear in mind that Sakurai said he "can't keep the team together forever" and they probably want to move onto other projects, too.

I don't think they can keep it going for another year or even half a year.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Bear in mind that Sakurai said he "can't keep the team together forever" and they probably want to move onto other projects, too.

I don't think they can keep it going for another year or even half a year.
If we're talking about a small amount of DLC, my maximum bet is 3-4 characters as of now. It's unreasonable to expect, say, 12, but I imagine the team could be kept together to make at least two.

Just my two cents.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If we're talking about a small amount of DLC, my maximum bet is 3-4 characters as of now. It's unreasonable to expect, say, 12, but I imagine the team could be kept together to make at least two.

Just my two cents.
Oh yeah, I get that, I mean I don't think they'd release one character now, the next three months hence, etc.

I think they'd be released within a few months from beginning to end, at most.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Oh yeah, I get that, I mean I don't think they'd release one character now, the next three months hence, etc.

I think they'd be released within a few months from beginning to end, at most.
So a repeat of Royu+Lucas.

I'd be fine if it were the only set of character DLC, really, since said release wasn't to my liking because of the impending character drought. But as a final farewell to DLC, sure.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So a repeat of Royu+Lucas.

I'd be fine if it were the only set of character DLC, really, since said release wasn't to my liking because of the impending character drought. But as a final farewell to DLC, sure.
Not quite. They were released on the exact same day.

I'm talking three to four characters within the space of half a year; say one character every month to two months. It'd keep interest going without keeping us in suspense for more time than is honestly necessary.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not quite. They were released on the exact same day.

I'm talking three to four characters within the space of half a year; say one character every month to two months. It'd keep interest going without keeping us in suspense for more time than is honestly necessary.
That's actually what I tried to say in my original post, could've worded it better. :cheep:

Should've replaced 'announcements' with 'releases', but that's ultimately what I would like to happen in any other case.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know what would be hilarious? If Nintendo announced a Nintendo Direct sometime this month, and gave us a hint that the next DLC character is a veteran. Then when it came time for the direct, the first thing they announce is Pichu's return to the series, and the last thing they announce is Wolf's return to the series. That would be so funny.

But the most we'll probably get is an unadvertised trailer for the next DLC character.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
You know what would be hilarious? If Nintendo announced a Nintendo Direct sometime this month, and gave us a hint that the next DLC character is a veteran. Then when it came time for the direct, the first thing they announce is Pichu's return to the series, and the last thing they announce is Wolf's return to the series. That would be so funny.

But the most we'll probably get is an unadvertised trailer for the next DLC character.
By this point I'm game for anything. Just give us SOMETHING and SOON, Sakurai!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom