• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
**** it, you're clearly not listening to what I'm saying as I only talked about Roy when he was brought up and now you're acting like I changed the topic. We're done, if you're not going to try to listen to me, I sure as hell aren't going to try to listen to yo
LOL okay. I brought up Roy first saying, "Characters like Dark Pit, Greninja, and Roy, were all from popular franchises that obviously could still have futures. SK is not nearly as popular a franchise as ANY OF THEM. Even Shantae would make more sense that way."

Obviously, I wasn't talking about Nintendo All-Stars.

You said, "lol you said Roy despite FE nearly being killed off"

I replied, "At the point Roy was added to Smash Bros, the series was extremely successful to the point Nintendo decided to bring it to the US. SK still hasn't even made a WW debut yet."

Then you realized you were wrong and said, "I only brought up Roy as an argument against 'Smash is about Nintendo's allstars'"

But you didn't bring him up, I DID, and it had nothing to do with the whole "all-stars" thing. You're the one not listening.

Burruni

Smash Hero
He's a new third party multi-platform indie character. (Chances inherently hurt)
I think the onus should be supporters to bring something more compelling to the table if you want a detractor to take him seriously when compared to KKR, Wolf, etc.
The Amiibo doesn't sell me, Wayforward could go buy licensing for the Amiibo name too, doesn't mean Shantae's confirmed for Smash.
No.
The amiibo confirms nothing.
Anything outside of Sakurai or Nintendo putting out an official statement of joining the roster or a leak of data files is a confirmation at this point.
But having highly successful title(s) that Nintendo has pushed and having an Amiibo MAY mean SOMETHING. Being in a fairly unique position with the Amiibo as leverage is something that is impressive for Shovel Knight, the title. But I still don't think we're seeing him any time soon in Smash.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
lol FE apparently wasn't going to get killed off if Awakening didn't sell enough. GG m8 Imma go Kamiya on your *** now
Roy was added to Smash Bros in 2001. Fire Emblem didn't almost die out until 10 years after that, and now FE is back to having a solid future it seems. Roy was added from a franchise at that point in time that still had a long future.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Amiibo=higher chances for Smash really doesn't mean much. Chibi-Robo gets an amiibo, so he's the next newcomer, right?!?!?1

Sure, Robo's actually first party, but if you ask me, the amiibo is just a nice bonus, it's not indicative of anything. And while there could be patches for amiibo support, in this case Robo would have to be shown before October 8th(when Zip-Lash releases in Japan) to really tie-in with Smash, unless CR got two separate amiibo.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
So this is a stupid question, but is Saturday or Friday the last day for voting? That is to say, do we have until the end of October 3 to vote, or will the ballot close when the clock strikes midnight October 3?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Weren't we talking about Roy and Melee, 10 years before Awakening?
That's exactly my point.

True, but FE nearly died and 2 Awakening newcomers were added, one of which being planned before the game released. Awakening could have flopped and we still had Robin, not to mention Thracia flopped along with Gaiden iirc
Planning started after Uprising, which was a month before Awakening came out. It was most likely similar to Ike where Robin wasn't planned until the ending of the roster being finalized. This would make sense considering Chrom was thought about first.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
True, but FE nearly died and 2 Awakening newcomers were added, one of which being planned before the game released. Awakening could have flopped and we still had Robin, not to mention Thracia flopped along with Gaiden iirc
The Awakening characters were both chosen after it was massively successful. Robin when Sakurai was playing it himself and Lucina obviously admist production. (Awakening in Japan coming out in April of 2012)
Tharacia 776 wasn't as popular as Geneology of the Holy War but was by no means a flop. Even Gaiden wasn't a "massive" flop. The most unsuccesful games actually were :4myfriends:'s duology.

Edit; :4marth:'s DS remakes were basically washes if not a bit in the read. Not flops, but they certainly didn't help bring the series back. It's actually due to this that they tried to take more radical changes in Awakening.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok im going to ask again

Any word from shinyquagmire23 or Random talking bush about the 3ds version data mining?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The Awakening characters were both chosen after it was massively successful. Robin when Sakurai was playing it himself and Lucina obviously admist production. (Awakening in Japan coming out in April of 2012)
Tharacia 776 wasn't as popular as Geneology of the Holy War but was by no means a flop. Even Gaiden wasn't a "massive" flop. The most unsuccesful games actually were :4myfriends:'s duology.
Wasn't Smash being developed before then? Doesn't change how FE nearly died

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wasn't Smash being developed before then? Doesn't change how FE nearly died
It nearly died, but it didn't.
There's nothing to gain from going into "What ifs?" about Fire Emblem's future and it's relationship to Smash if Awakening ended up being too radical of a change that alienated the original fans and was too unaccessable to new players.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I contacted the person that said yesterday that extra placeholders were found, he avoided the question and ignored me.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So I contacted the person that said yesterday that extra placeholders were found, he avoided the question and ignored me.
Bro, it's pretty much fake. No one else has data mine it and found anything interesting. If they did, we would have heard about it by multiple sources

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Bro, it's pretty much fake. No one else has data mine it and found anything interesting. If they did, we would have heard about it by multiple sources
I wonder why he'd just come out and do that?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know.
Crazy theory here.
Maybe after the Royu leaks
Nintendo realized to stop leaving their incomplete and placeholder data in the copy builds of the game that gets converted into the update data.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Y'know.
Crazy theory here.
Maybe after the Royu leaks
Nintendo realized to stop leaving their incomplete and placeholder data in the copy builds of the game that gets converted into the update data.
Sakurai tried to dox the leakers and kill them but Nintendo thought having nothing to leak would be better for Sakurai's resume, he already killed some guys at 3:00AM

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Seriously what's with this thread's hate for Shovel Knight. Are people afraid of his popularity?
The "hate" is the same sort of reaction someone would have if there were a limited number of seats left for a concert and some little kid tries to cut in line after you've been waiting for ages.

Anyhow, credit where credit is due...as much as it's tough to wait, Nintendo deserves commendation for not messing up again and allowing their newcomers to be leaked. They **** the bed with Mewtwo's coding and spoiling Royu's release with their update the night before last Direct, but they're on the ball now. They've learned, and that's a great thing for our excitement.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Last Voting for a Character in a Fighting Game thing I was in was Skullgirls

Compared to the amount of fanart and fan discussions, neither Eliza or Beowulf seemed to be as popular as some of the other characters but both of them managed to out-vote the other hopefuls, Eliza especially had very few people talking about her until it was announced she won.

*sadly pats my framed Stanley picture*
....Man i should stop putting hope into cool non-human scientists to be playable in Fighting games

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Last Voting for a Character in a Fighting Game thing I was in was Skullgirls

Compared to the amount of fanart and fan discussions, neither Eliza or Beowulf seemed to be as popular as some of the other characters but both of them managed to out-vote the other hopefuls, Eliza especially had very few people talking about her until it was announced she won.

*sadly pats my framed Stanley picture*
....Man i should stop putting hope into cool non-human scientists to be playable in Fighting games
Is Annie the Ridley of Skullgirls?

I'm so sorry.

I'm not sorry.

I am sorry, though.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok I think this really deserves attention

Im sure some of you guys/girls support king k rool or don't support, and im not sure if hes going to get a spot in smash 4 or not but

You have got to see this portrait of king k rool made by @bellboy64

Just pretend it's 5 hours ago. ...It's DONE!

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I am pretty excited for new characters now that this patch is out, it'll be really interesting to see how whoever gets added deals with the recently-buffed current roster.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Annie is Ridley.
Umbrela is K. Rool.

Together, they are.

K. Rool still has a chance though~ ;3

Which reminds me: when does everybody reckon the first ballot character will be revealed?

My money's on sometime next week.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
The "hate" is the same sort of reaction someone would have if there were a limited number of seats left for a concert and some little kid tries to cut in line after you've been waiting for ages.
This is the best explanation ever

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Im not sure if this is significant but

On mark ryan alport something.

Yatch games showed a picture of bandana dee and said "we can do anything if we work together."

Something tells me it will help bandana dee and shovel knight.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
K. Rool still has a chance though~ ;3

Which reminds me: when does everybody reckon the first ballot character will be revealed?

My money's on sometime next week.
And there are sound files of the fighters in Skullgirls calling out to Umbrella as an assist, as well as a few intro lines.

I WANT MY LOLI WITH A GLUTTONOUS UMBRELLA.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh, that's funny.

This insanity won't end till the day Sakurai says there will be no more DLC.
Shhhh...

Let me live in my illusion...

Really though, it's the polls and 'evidence' is what's maddening.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/648686428222689280

How is a tweet like this any different than Wayforward tweeting "See you in Smash!"?
Doesn't sound incredibly overconfident or imply SK is already confirmed. They haven't even asked people to vote in a while- not that I'm saying he's in Smash or anything (he's most likely not), but this is a far cry from Wayforward's teasing and plugging.
To be fair, Gamecube.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Shhhh...

Let me live in my illusion...

Really though, it's the polls and 'evidence' is what's maddening.
I'm afraid it's my job to shatter such illusions with cold, hard truth.;)

But it will be nice to be done with people constantly promoting their character for the Ballot, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom