• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Quick question guys... do you think in terms for Miis we will see a Squid Girl costume?

Squid Girl costume made me almost think about buying Splatoon, only for a second though, as I want nothing to do with the game.
I'd kill to be able to play as Squid Girl in Smash, but I think it's a pipe dream for now. It's up to Nintendo; Masahiro Anbe certainly wouldn't mind the promotion.

This ballot's gonna end up like Ridley, multiple threads will derail and get locked.
People will log onto smashboards and immediately be turned into a pillar of salt, just by witnessing it.
Let's not speak of the apocalypse before it hits, hm? Please. ;_;

:231:

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That is true, but the R.O.B. point still stands.
Just because R.O.B. wasn't on the screen while the game is playing doesn't mean he's not a part of the game.

I think the purpose was to have a character outside of the tv screen interact with the character inside the TV screen.

In short, R.O.B. is a video game character you play with in reality.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gonna be the odd one and say my preference for FF characters is Gilgamesh, works rather well imo

My opinion on Butt Butt: I'd love seeing him playable and am kinda hoping the leak is true, but I perfectly understand why he wouldn't be playable and wouldn't mind that much if he's out

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Aaaaaaaaand of course not a single person mentions a Genei Ibun Roku #FE character as a musical character since people fear they would come off as generic Fire Emblem fighters in the end. That, along with the whole ownership ordeal with Atlus in the end. :p

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
If shovel knight gets in i bet 1000 dollars that nearly 80% of you in this thread would buy him just like we always do.Again we our the minority.The only two characters i can see whos popular here get in is k rool and Bdee and thats because there popular in both japan and US but i really do feel that the people we think is running the ballot may not be running the ballot and i feel when the first ballot character is shown will be seeing a lot of disappointed people

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If shovel knight gets in i bet 1000 dollars that nearly 80% of you in this thread would buy him just like we always do.Again we our the minority.The only two characters i can see whos popular here get in is k rool and Bdee and thats because there popular in both japan and US but i really do feel that the people we think is running the ballot may not be running the ballot and i feel when the first ballot character is shown will be seeing a lot of disappointed people
I'll buy him. I'll play him. He seems very fun in theory. I want to own every DLC character.

Just because I'm indifferent to the character doesn't mean I won't enjoy him. I want to support Sakurai and the team, even if what I got isn't what I wanted or expected.

That's what Nils is for tho

The glory of only having played Awakening and Lyn's story of FE7
They could release Goku and at least 50% of us would buy him. . . Once Sakurai makes something that isn't FE/KIU/ a clone people automatically love it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm only buying stuff that interests me although I haven't bought the new stages yet, so if a character I genuinely don't like is playable, I'm not playing as them

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I'll buy him. I'll play him. He seems very fun in theory. I want to own every DLC character.

Just because I'm indifferent to the character doesn't mean I won't enjoy him. I want to support Sakurai and the team, even if what I got isn't what I wanted or expected.

The glory of only having played Awakening and Lyn's story of FE7

They could release Goku and at least 50% of us would buy him. . . Once Sakurai makes something that isn't FE/KIU/ a clone people automatically love it.
These are what i want people are so quick to hate something just because it isn't what they want and i feel that is tge wrong mantatlity when it comes to smash

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
To his credit, the man is very good at his job.

Except for a few dedicated supporters, I don't think many people expected the dog from Duck Hunt to be so fun and dynamic.

These are what i want people are so quick to hate something just because it isn't what they want and i feel that is tge wrong mantatlity when it comes to smash
Oh yeah, it isn't what I want, but what's the point in hating?

Let the people be happy with their spade-wielding cavalier.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Aaaaaaaaand of course not a single person mentions a Genei Ibun Roku #FE character as a musical character since people fear they would come off as generic Fire Emblem fighters in the end. That, along with the whole ownership ordeal with Atlus in the end. :p
I didn't bring then up because there game won't be out for a while. I'll will most likely end up supporting one for Smash 5.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Seriously what's with this thread's hate for Shovel Knight. Are people afraid of his popularity?
Pretty much the same reason K. Rool gets so much flak: people fear that the popular kids will impede their character's progress.

That and not everybody is a fan of Butt Butt the Warrior who Digs.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Seriously what's with this thread's hate for Shovel Knight. Are people afraid of his popularity?
It's not that people don't like him. Far from it. Its the fact that they believe that there are more deserving characters that should be in the game instead of an indie (I hate this term) that's barely a year old.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm going to make a Kickstarter for my own video game.
I'll only do business with Nintendo, so i'm loyal and will be heavily associated with Nintendo.
Oh and the gameplay will be inspired by Nintendo games/ franchises.

Everyone go to the ballot vote for the main character of my game, okay?

This is my gripes with shovel knight, he's just not ready.
Canadians will get the political reference.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm going to make a Kickstarter for my own video game.
I'll only do business with Nintendo, so i'm loyal and will be heavily associated with Nintendo.
Oh and the gameplay will be inspired by Nintendo games/ franchises.

Everyone go to the ballot vote for the main character of my game, okay?

This is my gripes with shovel knight, he's just not ready.
Canadians will get the political reference.
That's not why people want Shovel Knight though, they want him because his game was stupidly good, not to mention Butt Butt has appeared in I believe 14 games already

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's what Nils is for tho
Nils vs. Tiki would be a pretty interesting match up though. And the ladies would be head over heels over that blue haired dragon boy.

I didn't bring then up because there game won't be out for a while. I'll will most likely end up supporting one for Smash 5.
>Coming out this holiday season for Japan,

>possibly coming to the West by fall because late localization.

Seems legit. Like you said, Smash 5 would be the most appropriate time to support them however. If for some reason that Fortissimo version sells out in Japan, then chances are that this would be a brand new franchise. Anything to tick off /v/ and the average J-Pop haters since Tsubasa would be perfect for Smash. :troll:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
That's not why people want Shovel Knight though, they want him because his game was stupidly good, not to mention Butt Butt has appeared in I believe 14 games already
Whose to say that the character will fall to obscurity in a couple years and be forgotten.
There's no way of knowing if this character even has a future.
What if this Indie company makes a bad business choice and falls on its face.

SK he's just not ready.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Whose to say that the character will fall to obscurity in a couple years and be forgotten.

SK he's just not ready.
Except the character clearly isn't being forgotten with free DLC updates and the amiibo.
YCG has said they wanted to make sequels in the kickstarter should the game be successful.
They're doing well so far.
These arguments are pure speculation that doesn't have anything going for ut except for 'it COULD happen'

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

SK he's just not ready.
His upcoming release of the amiibo assures that Shovel Knight will definitely have a future.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not everyone hates Shovel Knight himself, just the concept of the character in Smash as anything other than a Mii costume.

People are just confused over the idea of an indie who's been around for a year getting into Smash over actual Nintendo characters, some who have been around for longer, or third parties with more relevance.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He's quite divisive as he's an indie. And what Wintropy said - people see him as a threat to the characters that have been supported for longer.

Taking a *ahem* dig at him is common as he has noticeably more detractors than others.

:231:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Lol, no. In my case, it's because he is an obscure third-party character from a franchise that is in no way shape or form significant to video game history- in other words, he really is just any third-party character from a different company. There is nothing significant about him in the grand scale of things unlike the third-party characters we got and he would stick out for all the wrong reasons.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I just don't think a character that's popular right now, should be put in just because he's popular right now.
We're jumping the gun, so to speak.

There's no past, and potentially no future.

And for a game claimed to be successful, how is that company not able to get a sequel by without Kickstarter?
A company requiring Kickstarter tells me the company isn't financially stable.
The fans front the development costs, than buy the game equaling profit, but can't make a second game without another Kickstarter?

Like Kickstarter is neat to get some games fans want to be made, actually made... but at the same time it's a horrible business model.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I just don't think a character that's popular right now, should be put in just because he's popular right now.
We're jumping the gun, so to speak.

There's no past, and potentially no future.

And for a game claimed to be successful, how is that company not able to get a sequel by without Kickstarter?
A company requiring Kickstarter tells me the company isn't financially stable.
The fans front the development costs, than buy the game equaling profit, but can't make a second game without another Kickstarter?

Like Kickstarter is neat to get some games fans want to be made, actually made... but at the same time it's a horrible business model.
Dude that's pretty dumb, they made quite a lot of money with the first game and amiibo have always been pretty successful. You're using speculation as an argument, that's like calling early access games great based on what you think they might end up as

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Dude that's pretty dumb, they made quite a lot of money with the first game and amiibo have always been pretty successful. You're using speculation as an argument, that's like calling early access games great based on what you think they might end up as
Shovel Knight is no different than Shantae, Yooka Laylee, Mighty No. 9, Commander Video etc.
He's popular right now, because he's relevant at the moment, any of these indies could be the next bandwagon character too.
Next month what if there's a commander video amiibo...

Shovel Knights popularity isn't based on merit, it's based on people jumping on a bandwagon because they see an amiibo and assume that makes the character more likely. As a trend with all characters once they're precieved as likely, either by a leak or something else, all of a sudden everyones the biggest fan.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
One of the beautiful things about DLC, at least IMO, is you can customise your game by purchasing what interests you. Consumer choice/rights after all.

If a character doesn't interest you simply don't buy it. That's your right to do so.

Personally I didn't bother with Lucas because he's not a character that interests me, but I may shell out for some of the Mii outfits of characters that I'd of preferred to see in the game.
Many people would think this is backwards, but I'd rather have the Inkling, Toad, K. Rool, Viridi and Chrom outfits for the Miis than a character I know I'll never have a desire to play as.

I'll customise my smash experience how I like. I implore you all to do the same.

The occasional attitude of 'Gotta buy everything or you're not a true fan' bugs me no end.

Burruni

Smash Hero
ANYWAY

You know what has always struck me as odd? Why I don't see more people trying to drum up support for Crono from Crono Trigger.

I don't necessarily support him myself, but considering how popular and nostalgic the game is I'm surprised I don't see it brought up more. I guess because there was only one sequel that was not super well received and it's faded from public consciousness a bit.

Anyone else have thoughts?
I didn't really enjoy Crono Trigger that much, imo.

But the fact is that it is one very-well recieved SNES game and a "Dark Dawn" that came I think over 15 years past.

It hasn't kept relevant to people and even amongst Square Enix, it's FAR overshadowed by the kind of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or even Kingdom Hearts.

It's SMRPG syndrome, basically. Except without the Mario connection.

Edit: For my reasoning of being against Butt-Butt ~ He is still a one-game wonder of an indie that's kept that one game alive for the full year by having rereleases on other platforms with an extra boss or two that sparks up discussion again and now with the DLC expansion thing that has you play as someone else. He is someone who came out very recently and may get stuck into a Quote-tier purgatory of rereleases and minor expansions before not being touched again. He is someone who is unknown in mass to the east and thus keeps against one of Sakurai's stated rules of looking at "Local" and "Worldwide" popularity for a character. He's someone who I just don't see that interesting as a fighter because outside of the relics, his shovel works almost identically to Link's Sword in Zelda II or Scrooge McDuck's cane. And most of all... I don't see him having the raw popularity that is on par of a handful of Nintendo Characters that have been more desired since before the ballot opened. Inklings, for example, basically have everything going for Shovel Knight except they're first party, are a world-wide character, and have had their game out for shorter (with more multi-media works to go with em). His grounds largely rely on if Sakurai sees the raw need for an Indie character because he certainly doesn't match the level of impact or name that our 5 Third Parties to date hold and doesn't have the merit that a number of 1st Party, more popular, characters hold.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, part of me is really curious as to why Third Party characters are suddenly being evaluated as if they're no different from Nintendo characters. Are we just assuming that Sakurai has absolutely no standards for them now?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Shovel Knight is no different than Shantae, Yooka Laylee, Mighty No. 9, Commander Video etc.
He's popular right now, because he's relevant at the moment, any of these indies could be the next bandwagon character too.
Next month what if there's a commander video amiibo...

Shovel Knights popularity isn't based on merit, it's based on people jumping on a bandwagon because they see an amiibo and assume that makes the character more likely. As a trend with all characters once they're precieved as likely, either by a leak or something else, all of a sudden everyones the biggest fan.
There's so much wrong in this post...Shantae's games have become more successful over the years, Yooka Laylee is catered towards a crowd that hasn't gotten anything, Mighty No.9 was a bandwagon until Diana and Inafune starting causing controversy and Commander Video has the trophy in Smash.
Shovel Knight is the FIRST third party amiibo, meaning it's more noteworthy than Commander Video getting one next month, kinda like Snake being the first third party in smash
You couldn't be more wrong. Not only are you implying people only bandwagoned because of the amiibo, which is false as people bandwagoned when the game came out, and the fact that his game was a huge success to the point people consider that a merit, something that's pretty much entirely opinion based. That only happened with Chorus Kids as Shovel Knight was being a popular candidate BEFORE leaks because of, you know, his game

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You know, part of me is really curious as to why Third Party characters are suddenly being evaluated as if they're no different from Nintendo characters. Are we just assuming that Sakurai has absolutely no standards for them now?
Everybody knows that DLC is a crazy wonderland where anything can happen!

I just think people need to justify their character's chances more fiercely now. The ballot has inadvertently transformed speculation into a competition. Third-party characters have the immense hurdle of being, y'know, third-party to overcome, so people who support these characters need to double down their efforts to make their case.

That's how I interpret it.

That and I think Ryu has got some 'splaining to do...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Everybody knows that DLC is a crazy wonderland where anything can happen!

I just think people need to justify their character's chances more fiercely now. The ballot has inadvertently transformed speculation into a competition. Third-party characters have the immense hurdle of being, y'know, third-party to overcome, so people who support these characters need to double down their efforts to make their case.

That's how I interpret it.

That and I think Ryu has got some 'splaining to do...
That reminds me, Sakurai never explained Ryu outside of 'I anticipated his popularity' because he's iconic, but considering how he mentioned why certain characters are playable for everyone else iirc, it's odd that 'I thought he'd be popular' is the only thing we have. Especially considering the initial backlash some people had when he was leaked

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That reminds me, Sakurai never explained Ryu outside of 'I anticipated his popularity' because he's iconic, but considering how he mentioned why certain characters are playable for everyone else iirc, it's odd that 'I thought he'd be popular' is the only thing we have. Especially considering the initial backlash some people had when he was leaked
I'm surprised that Ryu only got in now.

Considering he's the hero of fighting games and Sakurai is a big fan of Street Fighter II, it just makes sense.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm surprised that Ryu only got in now.

Considering he's the hero of fighting games and Sakurai is a big fan of Street Fighter II, it just makes sense.
I just think it's odd how 'I thought he'd be popular' was the reasoning. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware of Ryu being one of Capcom's faces and the face of fighting games but it just strikes me odd how a newcomer's justification is purely based on what Sakurai thought people thought of him. Kinda like how Little Mac was chosen due to Sakurai's love of the arcade game instant of the Western fans demanding him iirc
Any words from either of the data diggers?

Oh and i heard people don't want shovel knight due to being to young of the/in the series?

Ok sorry you guys and girls who said this you have to put this on

Reason

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/gekkouga.html

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/secret04.html

Name how young they are please.
To be fair, comparing Shovel Knight to Nintendo characters isn't the smartest thing to do, though Sakurai got very lucky that Greninja would be one of Gen VI's most iconic things

Any words from either of the data diggers?

Oh and i heard people don't want shovel knight due to being to young of the/in the series?

Ok sorry you guys and girls who said this you have to put this on

Reason

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/gekkouga.html

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/secret04.html

Name how young they are please.
Yeah but they aren't 3rd party which is half the argument.

Also calling people dunces for an opinion. . .not a strategy that will make people follow you.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I just think it's odd how 'I thought he'd be popular' was the reasoning. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware of Ryu being one of Capcom's faces and the face of fighting games but it just strikes me odd how a newcomer's justification is purely based on what Sakurai thought people thought of him. Kinda like how Little Mac was chosen due to Sakurai's love of the arcade game instant of the Western fans demanding him iirc
Nah, I don't think he was chosen because he's popular. I think Sakurai just said that because it's the most convenient response, even if it isn't technically the reason.

EDIT: I mean, in a different sense, technically he's telling the truth. Ryu is very popular in the fighting game community.

Just that that popularity never transferred to Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom