• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , I'm going to save everybody here a headache and say I'm not convinced by your reasoning and I don't think this discussion is going to yield anything but bitter fruit.

I really don't care about Shovel Knight either way. The only thing I care about right now is that the ballot ends with a minimum of fuss and somebody's happy.
This. No matter what someone (indeed a lot of someones) is going to be pissed about whoever we get. I just can't wait for at least an announcement of the first ballot character so we can get some sense of who to expect as a whole.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Quick question guys... do you think in terms for Miis we will see a Squid Girl costume?

Squid Girl costume made me almost think about buying Splatoon, only for a second though, as I want nothing to do with the game.

The Shovel Knight amiibo is an experiment. It costs Nintendo practically nothing (since Yacht Club are making the things), and it lets them gauge the response and how well it sells. Which will then guide them in licensing out amiibo to other indies and third party developers.

None of which have anything to do with Smash Bros.. And, since this is still an experiment, banking on its success with a new character, new amiibo, and new content is not a great idea. Especially since the game hasn't even been released in Japan (and the fact that Japanese gamers can get a non-translated version on Steam [ie: Not a Nintendo console] doesn't help).
I am a bit confused on your stance for some reason. You are agreeing with him then correct? In terms of, it's a bad move?

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Oh hi there, random Cloud Strife! When's the last time your canon Final Fantasy VII titles been on a Nintendo console? :troll:

#BlackMageForMasterRace
If we're going to get a FF rep, it'd be someone from the first 6 FF games and not someone from the Sony PS1 era.

D

Deleted member

Nope, and I didn't say it is.

What I'm saying is, why is Shovel Knight more "deserving" than these characters that have more (fan-created) criteria to their names?

Because there's a chance for a higher profit margin for Nintendo?

Oy vey.
That's not what I got out of what was being said. That's my bad.
And to answer this, he isn't.
But this isn't a matter of who "deserves it more" at this point and I don't know why Blue is arguing this.

And we're making exaggerations...~ ;3
Misinterpreting what was being said and questioning based on misinterpretation =/= making definitive claims that wildly exaggerate from the reality.

And don't act like I was singling you out. I meant what I said by "both sides". That includes Blue.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Roger that

I guess we will be waiting a little bit for the data dig results if more mario placeholders were added or not.
Another Dataminer earlier posted that there were none, and the guy who posted the rumor that there were as given a warning. I apologize for not knowing his name, but it was something along the lines of "RandomTalkingBush" I believe.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
If we're going to get a FF rep, it'd be someone from the first 6 FF games and not someone from the Sony PS1 era.
But....Black Mage is from the very first Final Fantasy on the NES...?

(Come to think of it I would prefer Red Mage or White Mage)

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I think we should have three more third parties characters.

My three are Shantae Sora and Rayman

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I am a bit confused on your stance for some reason. You are agreeing with him then correct? In terms of, it's a bad move?
Yes, I was just clarifying and expanding the idea. Nintendo is already experimenting with Shovel Knight with the amiibo. It seems unlikely that they would sink more into the IP until it proves itself with what they've given it. Yes, Shovel Knight has been remarkably successful. It's still nothing but a single game, that started as a Kickstarter project. Does it have the ability to stand the test of time? To pump out sequels, support merchandise, sell in every country, and form a core IP that bears long-term investment? Unknown. The amiibo is testing that. How it sells (and how Yacht Club follows up on the "works with future Yacht Club games" promise) will help determine that long term viability. Until it shows that viability, I don't expect Nintendo to take any drastic steps with the IP. They will enable Yacht Club to work with it (like letting them make amiibo), but I don't think they'll volunteer anything (like a place in Smash Bros.).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Jibanyan was brought up because:

"Jibanyan is an icon."
"The minority are the only ones who care about 'iconicness'."

You have a double standard. If it's a character you like/support, you happily ignore YOUR OWN RULES to argue why they should be in.
It's not like I intentionally try to. :S
I admit, I contradicted myself, but you don't have gang up on me further on the subject because that is only going to depress me more. The only reason I began to think of "minority only cares" was that the noticeable amount of ballot requests from casual fans were non-iconic third parties, unintentionally disregarding other things fans consider because my mind was focused on ballot requests specifically.

Funny that one of the most requested characters doesn't break the top 10 according to careful research.

Unless, you know, he's not as requested as you think or believe.
Didn't you say that these polls are not as reliable as the actual results?
Either way, I'm going to agree with Wintropy and end the argument here.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Misinterpreting what was being said and questioning based on misinterpretation =/= making definitive claims that wildly exaggerate from the reality.

And don't act like I was singling you out. I meant what I said by "both sides". That includes Blue.
Golden, I don't know why you have to be so aggressive when it comes to friendly debates. I was being facetious.

But if it helps in future, the cat face (:3) is a sign that I'm not being serious.

It was a joke.

C'mon, man.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Yes, I was just clarifying and expanding the idea. Nintendo is already experimenting with Shovel Knight with the amiibo. It seems unlikely that they would sink more into the IP until it proves itself with what they've given it. Yes, Shovel Knight has been remarkably successful. It's still nothing but a single game, that started as a Kickstarter project. Does it have the ability to stand the test of time? To pump out sequels, support merchandise, sell in every country, and form a core IP that bears long-term investment? Unknown. The amiibo is testing that. How it sells (and how Yacht Club follows up on the "works with future Yacht Club games" promise) will help determine that long term viability. Until it shows that viability, I don't expect Nintendo to take any drastic steps with the IP. They will enable Yacht Club to work with it (like letting them make amiibo), but I don't think they'll volunteer anything (like a place in Smash Bros.).

Ok good. That means three people at least are on the same page here. I don't understand why people aren't talking about this more. Simply because we have a man in the shadows saying SK is in the game.

No leak should be thought as viable, even when we hear it from a source that has given us info before. We've learned that with Chrom.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I dont get why people think that Sakurai will show the results after the Smash Ballot.

I can see him showing the results like after the Smash 4 is finish or until we get to Smash 5.

That how I see it.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I will also end the argument here after countering this one point.

The ICP was a poll directed towards a majorly Western fanbase, while SG's poll compilation focused entirely on the Japanese perception of who was wanted. So there is a notable discrepancy between results in terms of characters, but having results centered around the country where Smash is made is arguably more reliable(and honestly, you love to cite Japan as a reason Jibaynan is so likely).

Have a nice night, Bluey.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
But....Black Mage is from the very first Final Fantasy on the NES...?

(Come to think of it I would prefer Red Mage or White Mage)
Yes. That's correct.
I'd be fine with anyone from the first 6 FF games at this point.
FF1 White Mage would be cool as well as the well-rounder nature of the Red Mage and his hat.

Anyway, if I were to pick favorites, then...Cecil, Kain, Rydia, WoL, Garland, Firion, Onion Knight, Bartz, Terra or Gilgamesh.

Garland's intro thing? "Garland knocks down!"

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
The best indie character is Reimu Hakurei.

Honestly, I'd find it pretty funny if Sakurai saw demand for third-party characters and decided to take the essence of the character and use it in a first-party character instead.

"Oh, you wanted Snake? Well, here's Villager: it isn't even remotely the same thing, but Kojima said it'd be funny!"

And so forth.
I spat guac on my keyboard thanks to you, Winnie.

And if people try to claim that Splatoon is too early to have a fighter (in spite of its success). Why would a 3rd Party game that has yet to come out state-side not be?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I've played five mins of his DS game back when I was in like 8th grade...

Haven't touched a FF game since.

On a different topic, I personally have no idea who is going to get in at this point. My only good feeling for a character I support is Wolf. Because of all the reasons so many have mentioned.

I don't even know who to consider likely at this point.

I dont get why people think that Sakurai will show the results after the Smash Ballot.

I can see him showing the results like after the Smash 4 is finish or until we get to Smash 5.

That how I see it.
I dont see us getting results period. . .too much salt if characters with high requests dont get picked. . .

This shovel knight argument went on for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long.

So to bring up another topic i'll pose a question I gave nintenzone

So would you guys rather have:

A) another Mewtwo (a generally wanted character by pretty much everyone)
or
B) another Ryu (a totally out of the blue character that fits smash bros well and isn't some obscure nobody but not necessarily requested)

???
and no "all the above" is not an answer as much as others tried :glare:
personally I would prefer B

ErenJager

Smash Champion
This ballot's gonna end up like Ridley, multiple threads will derail and get locked.
People will log onto smashboards and immediately be turned into a pillar of salt, just by witnessing it.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I dont see us getting results period. . .too much salt if characters with high requests dont get picked. . .

or
B) another Ryu (a totally out of the blue character that fits smash bros well and isn't some obscure nobody but not necessarily requested)

???
Another Ryu.

Simply because I'm not a fan of many of the names thrown around here. Isaac, Inkling, SK, Dixie, and to a lesser extent Dee.

Layton and Ayumi I feel like could be great additions, and I IMPLORE Sakurai give Ayumi another look.

Other characters I support are anyone cut, because as a Ivysaur, Squirtle, Young Link, Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Fan, I feel for those who have lost their characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

or

???
A by far. Ryu is in a very special situation anyway.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Yes. That's correct.
FF1 White Mage would be cool as well as the well-rounder nature of the Red Mage and his hat.

Anyway, if I were to pick favorites, then...Cecil, Kain, Rydia, WoL, Garland, Firion, Onion Knight, Bartz, Terra or Gilgamesh.

Oh man Garland would be really fun I think. Chaos would be a great villain character too, but he'd make a better stage boss. I kinda want them to do some kind of FF1 Smash DLC pack now and release FF1 on the virtual console to coincide.

or

???
I would prefer B, but given the length of time we've had to speculate and vote I think every conceivable character that isn't super obscure has been suggested at least once.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It's not like I intentionally try to. :S
I admit, I contradicted myself, but you don't have gang up on me further on the subject because that is only going to depress me more. The only reason I began to think of "minority only cares" was that the noticeable amount of ballot requests from casual fans were non-iconic third parties, unintentionally disregarding other things fans consider because my mind was focused on ballot requests specifically.
I didn't "gang up". At the time I posted, I had not seen anyone else post on the topic yet (and, indeed, only Wintropy Wintropy had posted on it, and that post hadn't gone through yet).

So, do you think non-iconic third parties are unlikely despite the fan votes? Because that is what Shovel Knight is.

I don't mind your fanboyism, Blue. I really don't. I get annoyed by the inconsistencies in your arguments, and the lengths you will go to in order to defend your favorite characters' inclusions. And, perhaps worst of all, your statements which are phrased as though your beliefs and conclusions are facts.

Let me ask you a question: WHY do you argue so hard about this? Why do you go to such lengths to prove a character's status? Why do you insist on defending a character to such a degree that you DO contradict yourself?

If you just went: "Oh my gosh, Jinbanyan is getting lots of votes in Japan AND a new game, might he make it in? Let's talk about how awesome he'd be!" I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. We're all fanboys. But you defend your characters to quite astounding degrees.

Why? Most of us support/promote a character because we were trying to get OTHER people to support/promote them as well, and get more votes. You don't seem to do that (and, if you did want to do that, running a support thread would be a much better way to do it). So why do you push so hard? None of what we're saying here matters. Sakurai will choose who he wants based on the ballot, and our discussion here will not influence it at all. So why are you so defensive about it?

The actual results are not known yet, which is why we're using these.

These results are all largely irrelevant, as the actual results are all that matter, and we don't know them, and probably never will (we'll just see the characters chosen from those results).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yes. That's correct.

Kefka is the only non-FF1 character that I can accept. Just imagine all the funny lines he would have while sadistically torturing his victims for free screams. :evil:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord

or

???
B.

I enjoy the "out of the blue" choices. Lots of surprise factor.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I am honestly not entirely certain of that; however, you seem confident enough. I suppose I will take your word for it.
I forgot to reply to this...

Miku could be the new type of fighter we need. Timed presses do more damages in combos. I recommend the series to anyone.

More likely though would be an idolm@ster rep of course...

Who enjoys the idea of a music type character? Like EBA, iM@S, RH, or any of the sort?

Burruni

Smash Hero

or

???
A. I'm not even that happy with :4ryu: to begin with and characters are often wanted in a wide audience for good friggin reason!

edit:

Miku could be the new type of fighter we need. Timed presses do more damages in combos. I recommend the series to anyone.

Who enjoys the idea of a music type character? Like EBA, iM@S, RH, or any of the sort?
Gonna be honest, when I saw a RH character option, my mind went to ":4gaw:-like, based on the many mini-games of the series!" Because trying to keep someone who is very timing-reliant or "Rhythmic" feels like it.. doesn't quite fit in the very reactionary way Smash has to be played at times.

Doublt Edit: Referring to when the Chorus Kids were first "leaked" and I personally switched to Marshal as soon as we got Robin/Lucina reveal to show that Gematsu wasn't carved in stone.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Kefka is the only non-FF1 character that I can accept. Just imagine all the funny lines he would have while sadistically torturing his victims for free screams. :evil:
I liked him too. If Dissidia is any indication, his magic talents would be quite...spectacular.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'll take the out of the blue surprise.

I mean, like a highly popular character is a highly popular character.

But a surprise character could be anyone, heck it could even be a highly popular character.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

or

???
Another Mewtwo.

I'd rather have someone genuinely wanted by the masses than someone with a more niche audience.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I've got one more thing to talk about.
I will also end the argument here after countering this one point.

The ICP was a poll directed towards a majorly Western fanbase, while SG's poll compilation focused entirely on the Japanese perception of who was wanted. So there is a notable discrepancy between results in terms of characters, but having results centered around the country where Smash is made is arguably more reliable(and honestly, you love to cite Japan as a reason Jibaynan is so likely).

Have a nice night, Bluey.
Did the actual poll cover all of the people who voted on the ballot in Japan? No, right? It's one of the more reliable sources we can use (that I can agree with along with oni's earlier point about the ICP not being reliable source for poll data even with 1000 votes), but the trends Push recorded aren't the actual ballot results and may differ from who Japan really wants.

And for the record, my current viewpoint of Jibanyan is that he has a 25% chance, not that I think he's a shoo-in because I'm also well aware that his Japan exclusivity and newness of a franchise may be points against his inclusion, even though he has the fanbase, popularity as a franchise, and requests going for him.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord

I considered Miku at some point. Timed presses as well as attacking to the beat of the music would be pretty unique and it'd reel in the Miku fanbase's money. Smash doesn't really have a "dancer"/"music" type of character anyway so I'm up for any of them.

Great, now that reminded me of an old Ninian concept I came up with a long time ago.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
A. I'm not even that happy with :4ryu: to begin with and characters are often wanted in a wide audience for good friggin reason!

edit:

Gonna be honest, when I saw a RH character option, my mind went to ":4gaw:-like, based on the many mini-games of the series!" Because trying to keep someone who is very timing-reliant or "Rhythmic" feels like it.. doesn't quite fit in the very reactionary way Smash has to be played at times.
Ok I understand. I think the idea of hitting combos fast and in time could work, it just needs to be executed properly.

Lets take a standard B projectile. The more you use it, and more "in time/rhythm" you hit it, the more powerful and faster it goes. Maybe they could even fight like Ryu in a way, where one attack follows up into another but in their case you'd have to be more accurate in timing the combo. Combos in fighting games are just as important as they are in music games.

I considered Miku at some point. Timed presses as well as attacking to the beat of the music would be pretty unique and it'd reel in the Miku fanbase's money. Smash doesn't really have a "dancer"/"music" type of character anyway so I'm up for any of them.

Great, now that reminded me of an old Ninian concept I came up with a long time ago.
Only problem is, she originates from a computer program. If Sakurai didn't have this rule, Miku would have a really good shot, heck she's been on the Tonight Show with David Letterman.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hey Medabots GBA is coming to Wii U virtual console in Europe.

Metabee DLC character thread inbound.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Only problem is, she originates from a computer program. If Sakurai didn't have this rule, Miku would have a really good shot, heck she's been on the Tonight Show with David Letterman.
Yeah, that's her biggest hurdle. She's huge and would have been a nice second Sega rep.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Another Dataminer earlier posted that there were none, and the guy who posted the rumor that there were as given a warning. I apologize for not knowing his name, but it was something along the lines of "RandomTalkingBush" I believe.
Is RandomTalking bush reliable?

If so i figured that guy was full of it and a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom