• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
That's your opinion, not logic.

And I've heard a wide range of users here discuss everyone from Quote to Commander Video.
True, but I think people aren't as vocal about them because nobody knows what they would do in Smash.

This is part of why Shovel Knight looks like such a good Fighter. His moves are literally what he uses in the game. That's part of his reason for popularity.

If Quote(who I really like as a character now) and Commander Video used a variety of moves that looked suitable for a Smash game, I would think that a lot more people would support them more.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That's all fine-and-dandy, but an indie game getting recognized by Nintendo is nothing new.

Shovel Knight can wait his turn, because under your logic, there's a whole list of indies ahead of him.
Since the Wii U's release, there has been lots of close ties with indie developers with many events like Nindies at PAX. I can't remember the last time I saw Nintendo taking indies this seriously before 2013, it's definitely something new for Nintendo and something I could see
influence a character's chances like Shovel Knight greatly.

There are even articles detailing their relationship, such as this one to show that it's noteworthy.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Since the Wii U's release, there has been lots of close ties with indie developers with many events like Nindies at PAX. I can't remember the last time I saw Nintendo taking indies this seriously before 2013, it's definitely something new for Nintendo and something I could see
influence a character's chances like Shovel Knight greatly.

There are even articles detailing their relationship, such as this one to show that it's noteworthy.
Well, that's nice for Nintendo and all, but does that matter to Sakurai?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I really don't care about indies either way (in terms of Smash - I love independent games in themselves), or third-parties in general.

I just think it'd be disconcerting if Sakurai passed on first-party characters that have more history with Nintendo and consistent support for the sake of "repping" what's new and popular.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
It must, since he said the Smash ballot was for people to vote for their favorite video game character.. I'm assuming you otherwise don't make that sort of ballot in a game where you're only going to make DLC from other games you've made.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Honestly, would Sakurai really care about this at all when he's considering his ballot choices?
Huh, that's pretty ironic in hindsight. Same question, slightly different context.

Anyway, I don't think indies matter too much to Sakurai. He has a high degree of judgement when it comes to character inclusion, and indies probably don't fit the criteria.

Nor do most third parties.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Whether we get SK, a "more deserving" third party, or more Nintendo characters is still unknown to us.

I'm not going to go into debates with any of you regarding whether or not a character should or shouldn't be in the game because in the end, it's all up in the air. It's anyone's game.

We are only three days away (my time) from the ballot closing. Like I said, it's anyone's game. Who KNOWS who we are going to get.

Whether your a K. Rool, Isaac, Shantae, Wolf, or some other character's supporter I have but one thing to say to each and everyone of you:

Brace for impact.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
It has been a long wait for Smash fans to see who Masahiro Sakurai picks from the Smash Ballot. I hope the characters we do get are well built (From a developer's viewpoint) and fans of said characters are happy with their character(s).

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Huh, that's pretty ironic in hindsight. Same question, slightly different context.

Anyway, I don't think indies matter too much to Sakurai. He has a high degree of judgement when it comes to character inclusion, and indies probably don't fit the criteria.

Nor do most third parties.
I doubt he cares more about how people would react at all when he added many other additions many that briefly angered a minority. Why should he more concerned with reactions with DLC, it's not any different.

Even then, him adding Shovel Knight would not make him concerned about the reactions because he is a highly requested character in the ballot now who would likely assume that his addition will please the large amount of fans that voted for him.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I doubt he cares more about how people would react at all when he added many other additions many that briefly angered a minority. Why should he more concerned with reactions with DLC, it's not any different.
Because DLC is a business practice and costs money, both for the producer and the consumer.

Ticking off the consumer isn't just spiteful, it's daft business.

Even then, him adding Shovel Knight would not make him concerned about the reactions because he is a highly requested character in the ballot now who would likely assume that his addition will please the large amount of fans that voted for him.
At the expense of incensing fans of other characters who have just as much, if not more, support?

I dunno, Blue. I'd be pretty cheesed off if the character I'd supported for over a decade got jilted in favour of the new, pretty character that isn't even directly related to Nintendo.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
It'd certainly anger the Japanese who supported characters that had much longer history with Nintendo. They were mad when Takamaru was relegated to AT status. Adding a completely unknown, relatively new character that has no real ties with Nintendo would raise hell in Japan.

Last edited:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I'd be lying if I said I'd be happy if Shovel Knight ends up in Smash. But I'd also be lying if I said I wouldn't buy it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
At the expense of incensing fans of other characters who have just as much, if not more, support?

I dunno, Blue. I'd be pretty cheesed off if the character I'd supported for over a decade got jilted in favour of the new, pretty character that isn't even directly related to Nintendo.
Well, the ballot isn't about pleasing the most fans with the character with the most requests. For sure he'll pick characters that are currently fair high in votes and take it into deep consideration, but not automatically add the highest ranking video-game characters just because they are the highest ranking.

The ones who actually care about "iconicness" are the minority, as there are a tremendous amount of fans who voted for SK, Shantae, Bayonetta, and many other non-iconic characters who didn't consider iconicness otherwise. He would still be pleasing most of the Shovel Knight fans.

D

Deleted member

I'm not against Shovel Knight's inclusion by any means, but there are other characters that I'd prefer to have on the roster, both first and third party.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Another interesting thing: The Yacht Club Games-made amiibo would be pretty pointless if there's a "better" Smash version of him coming. That would mean that YCG wasted money and resources on it since most people would just wait for the Smash version.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I don't see the true point in arguing this. I mean it's obvious we would all be a little bummed if a character we have zero connection to gets picked...

Which is why most of the "popular characters" like Isaac, Inkling, Shovel Knight, and Dixie Kong disinterest me.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, the ballot isn't about pleasing the most fans with the character with the most requests. For sure he'll pick characters that are currently fair high in votes and take it into deep consideration, but not automatically add the highest ranking video-game characters just because they are the highest ranking.
I never said that that's the case.

I just think you have unreasonable expectations for what constitutes a "popular" or "fanservice" character.

The ones who actually care about "iconicness" are the minority, as there are a tremendous amount of fans who voted for SK, Shantae, Bayonetta, and many other non-iconic characters who didn't consider iconicness otherwise. He would still be pleasing most of the Shovel Knight fans.
I never said anything about "iconicness" either.

I said that I'd be disappointed if Sakurai disregarded fan demand (which is as much about consistency as it is quantity) in favour of a character that is, relatively speaking, a blip on the radar.

Yeah, he'd please the Shovel Knight fans, but what about the K. Rool fans, Isaac fans, Dixie fans, Toad fans and every other fanbase that's been supporting their character for years? That has to count for something.

And please don't say the Mii costumes have to be seen as "consolation prizes". There's nothing to verify that that's the case and I hope Sakurai knows it isn't what fans really want.

Incidentally, didn't you try to justify Jibanyan's chances of being in Smash because he's an icon?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't know why you're bringing up Jibanyan, Jibanyan is arguably not only an huge icon (at least in Japan), he's also one of the most requested characters in Japan to be considered from Sakurai.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Another interesting thing: The Yacht Club Games-made amiibo would be pretty pointless if there's a "better" Smash version of him coming. That would mean that YCG wasted money and resources on it since most people would just wait for the Smash version.
I've been saying this for a while now, and I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking it.

I REALLY don't see Nintendo pushing a SK amiibo when one already exists. Doesn't it seem like that'd be TOO much for a 3rd party? Especially since the only other characters to have 2 amiibo are Mario and the gang?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't know why you're bringing up Jibanyan, Jibanyan is arguably not only an huge icon (at least in Japan), he's also one of the most requested characters in Japan to be considered from Sakurai.
You said most people don't care about "iconicness".

Even though you cited it as the very reason why this third-party character that's barely recognised in the west is a huge contender.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, he'd please the Shovel Knight fans, but what about the K. Rool fans, Isaac fans, Dixie fans, Toad fans and every other fanbase that's been supporting their character for years? That has to count for something.
No matter what happens, most of those fans are going to go without.
Is it really better to make other fans go without just to spare those fans' feelings?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Jibanyan was brought up because:

"Jibanyan is an icon."
"The minority are the only ones who care about 'iconicness'."

You have a double standard. If it's a character you like/support, you happily ignore YOUR OWN RULES to argue why they should be in.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
R.I.P. Chibi Robo. With all the cult votes he had gotten until this day in addition to his many games, there's a definite chance that Nintendo would pull the plug on the franchise if Zip Lash were to flop next month. Skip put so much care into their games, yet they sell so little and fail to capture that mainstream audience. I've got to say that as as Chibi Robo fan, this might as well be one of the darkest years in history.

It'd certainly anger the Japanese who supported characters that had much longer history with Nintendo. They were mad when Takamaru was relegated to AT status. Adding a completely unknown, relatively new character that has no real ties with Nintendo would raise hell in Japan.
I remembered that day, good times. Too bad his once loyal support more or less died over there and the West to a lesser extent.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No matter what happens, most of those fans are going to go without.
Is it really better to make other fans go without just to spare those fans' feelings?
Nope, and I didn't say it is.

What I'm saying is, why is Shovel Knight more "deserving" than these characters that have more (fan-created) criteria to their names?

Because there's a chance for a higher profit margin for Nintendo?

Oy vey.

And we're making exaggerations...~ ;3

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
he's also one of the most requested characters in Japan to be considered from Sakurai.

Funny that one of the most requested characters doesn't break the top 10 according to careful research.

Unless, you know, he's not as requested as you think or believe.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The ones who actually care about "iconicness" are the minority.
Blue, if you're going to take a stance on an issue, please be consistent with it.

It looks really bad when you dismiss one argument only to use the same argument when it favors you.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I've been saying this for a while now, and I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking it.

I REALLY don't see Nintendo pushing a SK amiibo when one already exists. Doesn't it seem like that'd be TOO much for a 3rd party? Especially since the only other characters to have 2 amiibo are Mario and the gang?

It'd cannibalize the sales of the YCG-made SK amiibo for sure. It'd look bad for the first "licensed" amiibo and Nintendo's attempt to get more "indies" to ask for amiibo.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You have a double standard. If it's a character you like/support, you happily ignore YOUR OWN RULES to argue why they should be in.
This so hard.

Another factoid that I brought up during RTC to explain why you(Blue) only cared to defend certain longshots even when a supporter of a viable longshot stood in front of you.

"Nah, too many problems for me to defend."*

Because it's not worth defending something ya don't want, right? Even when helping it would benefit your "unpopular characters" argument, huh?

*not actual wording

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Funny that one of the most requested characters doesn't break the top 10 according to careful research.

Me thinks we need an Ashley costume then. One on par with the Viridi one...

I might actually use miis now. Viridi was the first costume I've purchased.

Shantae, Isaac, and SK could make for good mii costumes. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , I'm going to save everybody here a headache and say I'm not convinced by your reasoning and I don't think this discussion is going to yield anything but bitter fruit.

I really don't care about Shovel Knight either way. The only thing I care about right now is that the ballot ends with a minimum of fuss and somebody's happy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Oh hi there, random Cloud Strife! When's the last time your canon Final Fantasy VII titles been on a Nintendo console? :troll:

#BlackMageForMasterRace

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It'd cannibalize the sales of the YCG-made SK amiibo for sure. It'd look bad for the first "licensed" amiibo and Nintendo's attempt to get more "indies" to ask for amiibo.
The Shovel Knight amiibo is an experiment. It costs Nintendo practically nothing (since Yacht Club are making the things), and it lets them gauge the response and how well it sells. Which will then guide them in licensing out amiibo to other indies and third party developers.

None of which have anything to do with Smash Bros.. And, since this is still an experiment, banking on its success with a new character, new amiibo, and new content is not a great idea. Especially since the game hasn't even been released in Japan (and the fact that Japanese gamers can get a non-translated version on Steam [ie: Not a Nintendo console] doesn't help).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Now besides that

Thats why i the king is more likely than dixie kong in my opinion because japan wants him the most and usa as well

Oh now to shift us off subject

Any word from shinyquagmire23 yet?

I want to know if the dude was a liar or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom