• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Yes. That's correct.
I'd be fine with anyone from the first 6 FF games at this point.
FF1 White Mage would be cool as well as the well-rounder nature of the Red Mage and his hat.

Anyway, if I were to pick favorites, then...Cecil, Kain, Rydia, WoL, Garland, Firion, Onion Knight, Bartz, Terra or Gilgamesh.

Garland's intro thing? "Garland knocks down!"
For a Final Fantasy character from 1-6, I chose Bartz because of the whole Job System itself gives great options for developers to choose from. It would be interesting if a Final Fantasy character wielded multiple skills from the different jobs available.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Quick question guys... do you think in terms for Miis we will see a Squid Girl costume?
Well, the Squid Girl costume DID make it to the west in Splatoon but it seems unlikely in Smash. The best bet is to let Sakurai/Nintendo know that there's an interest of having the Squid Girl outfit from Splatoon in Smash as a Mii Costume.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Depending on how seriously Sakurai is taking the "fanservice" comment, we could see like 90% of the suggestions around here cast off to the side.

"This character is likely/could happen!". Are they in the top 10? If not, they might be in trouble. Depending on how much fanservice is actually going to affect in the process.

Top 10 is going to contain at least K.Rool, Wolf, Inklings, Snake and Bandanna Dee. Maybe Isaac, maybe a few others, but I think closer to 7-10 might be a toss up. Anyone beyond that...who knows?

That's not to say #37 couldn't get picked, but would that be " fanservice"? Not according to my own definition. Somebody else may think so.

In my own opinion, I think we're going to get somebody in the top 10 no matter what. I also think that, because of fanservice, the only 3rd party who will get in (unless somebody else was already planned) will be Snake. No other 3rd party appears to be coming close in many of these polls.

I wouldn't even be disappointed if it ISN'T Snake. Yeah, I don't get my main back, but there are a bunch of great options anyway.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I'd rather have Snake back in over an indie character IMO.

The Konami situation be damned.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's her biggest hurdle. She's huge and would have been a nice second Sega rep.
She's not a Sega character, she's a Crypton Future Media, Inc. character.

Also R.O.B. originated as a video game peripheral, and didn't even appear in the games he was compatible with.
Also Lucario debuted in an animated movie, and wasn't in a video game until roughly a year later.
Originating from a video game 'rule' has had it's exceptions.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Depending on how seriously Sakurai is taking the "fanservice" comment, we could see like 90% of the suggestions around here cast off to the side.
Well, he's doing plenty of that "fanservice"" via the Mii costumes which seem to be the easiest and fastest way to deliver said fanservice. If this was by numbers alone then the question of "Why should this character become a fighter?" would be kinda pointless.

ErenJager ErenJager : Yeah. Forgot that little detail, my bad. Well, if any of her fans actually managed to type something convincing enough in the last ballot question, it could actually happen.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Also R.O.B. originated as a video game peripheral, and didn't even appear in the games he was compatible with.
Also Lucario debuted in an animated movie, and wasn't in a video game until roughly a year later.
This is very true.

BRB, about to storm the ballot.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Wolf corneria wiiu and new pork city and Dixie kong will be next wave of dlc hopfully :)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Not the biggest fan of the Hatsune Miku idea, but beats the heck out of SK.

Imagine you need to sing as you play to increase damage.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice

To your Lucario point I would say that Lucario's "real" origin is still Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. It's not as if he was made specifically for the movie. They just put him in a lead role in an animated movie ahead of time to build hype for the new gen. As I recall 2nd gen pokemon like Marill and Togepi appeared in the anime long before the 2nd gen games came out as a way of building hype, but they weren't conceived solely for the anime.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
To your Lucario point I would say that Lucario's "real" origin is still Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. It's not as if he was made specifically for the movie. They just put him in a lead role in an animated movie ahead of time to build hype for the new gen. As I recall 2nd gen pokemon like Marill and Togepi appeared in the anime long before the 2nd gen games came out as a way of building hype, but they weren't conceived solely for the anime.

That is true, but the R.O.B. point still stands.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
For a musical Smash character, I'd like a Rhythm Heaven character or the Elite Beat Agents (or their original Japanese equivalent).

Either that or, for "timed button presses," Paper Mario, like in his games.

All have the advantage of being owned by Nintendo, unlike Hatsune Miku. Just a thought~

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
For a musical Smash character, I'd like a Rhythm Heaven character or the Elite Beat Agents (or their original Japanese equivalent).

Either that or, for "timed button presses," Paper Mario, like in his games.

All have the advantage of being owned by Nintendo, unlike Hatsune Miku. Just a thought~
I'd go for EBA, as I really enjoyed that game. Namco wise, Haruka Amami, since she is the main character of iM@s. Wouldn't prefer her, but iM@S in general I'd be super happy with.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Unless the ballot gets SAKURAI'D, I believe we'll see SOMEONE from the Top 10 most wanted characters in the game. Seems very likely to be the case.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Well it's disputable, unless a source confirms either or.
It's possible he was designed as an appealing new character for a movie, we don't have proof that he was or wasn't.
None-the-less he was still debuted in an anime before a game.

You could argue any multimedia franchise/ anime isn't conceived solely for an anime nowadays...

I would argue that Lucario seems as if he was designed specifically for the movie, based on his design, personality, and role.

Last edited:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
It's possible he was designed as an appealing new character for a movie, we don't have proof that he was or wasn't.

You could argue any multimedia franchise/ anime isn't conceived solely for an anime nowadays...
You've put me in a difficult position.

See, I know you're wrong, but I can never prove it in a way that would convince you. And I really can't disagree with you without looking like a jerk. (I've already assured that I think) Also we'd be off topic if we delve more into it.

All I will do is politely, but firmly disagree.

Your R.O.B. point stands, though the nature of that exception is that he kind of saved Nintendo and indeed the entire concept of home video game consoles as a whole. I'd say the little guy earned his spot.

Burruni

Smash Hero

See, I know you're wrong, but I can never prove it in a way that would convince you. And I really can't disagree with you without looking like a jerk. (I've already assured that I think) Also we'd be off topic if we delve more into it.

Your R.O.B. point stands, though the nature of that exception is that he kind of saved Nintendo and indeed the entire concept of home video game consoles as a whole. I'd say the little guy earned his spot.
Also being the character to have the most cameos in Nintendo games who isn't part of the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Also being the character to have the most cameos in Nintendo games who isn't part of the Mushroom Kingdom.
Has he really? That's pretty cool! Overall, I'd say R.O.B. is an anomaly in the Smash roster and he shouldn't really be a metric of characters added.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Has he really? That's pretty cool! Overall, I'd say R.O.B. is an anomaly in the Smash roster and he shouldn't really be a metric of characters added.
Just off the top of my head: Kirby Dreamland 3, Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin 2, and other "Models of the R.O.B." line being reocurring characters of Star Fox and F-Zero if that counts.

Also being a racer in Mario Kart DS only a few years before Brawl came out.

Edit: Memory is wrong, a ROB only appears in F-Zero GX. But he is also a reoccuring "relic" used for 9-Volt's gaming themed challenges in WarioWare pretty often. Also he's in the Curiosity Shop in Majora's Mask 3D.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Lucario movie ---> July 16, 2005
Diamond & Pearl ---> September 28, 2006

Factor pre-production, script writing, etc. Lucario as a character was conceived well before debuting in the games, easily as early as 2003-2004.

Now I know you think i'm wrong, which is possible.
But it's also possible that you're wrong.
I willingly accept both possibilities.
But the evidence supports my claims.

I think it's more than likely he was designed specifically for a main role in the animated movie.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll take the out of the blue surprise.

I mean, like a highly popular character is a highly popular character.

But a surprise character could be anyone, heck it could even be a highly popular character.
It could even be a boat!

Golden, I don't know why you have to be so aggressive when it comes to friendly debates. I was being facetious.
I don't register out-of-the-blue sarcastic jabs to earlier statements of mine as "friendly".

Call me old-fashioned, but they come off as insulting.

But if it helps in future, the cat face (:3) is a sign that I'm not being serious.

It was a joke.

C'mon, man.
I'll try to keep that in mind.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I would argue that Lucario seems as if he was designed specifically for the movie, based on his design, personality, and role.
Lucario is a Pokemon, designed for the Pokemon games, such is the case for other pokes such as Blaziken and Zoroark...and was added to the movies/anime as a promotion for the upcoming Generation of Pokemon games, nothing more nothing less.......This is how Pokemon has functioned for years...and will continue to function...We will see a new pokemon before we get Generation 7 games...Yes. Technically Lucario 'debuted' in the anime, but he's still apart of a series of video games...that have movie and anime adaptations...

Gen 2 pokemon such as Togepi, Marill and Donphan...were origianlly designed to be in Generation 1 but were cut initially, then later added in Gen 2...pokemon has been known to recycle a lot of their designed through generations (a pokemon similar to Tirtouga was scrapped in Gen 2 then reworked in Gen 5) A lot of time is used to design, create and develop each pokemon and each aspect of the games...

ROB...is a piece of video game hardware...

Both are still owned by Nintendo, Both are still heavily associated with Video games as opposed to simply being adapted to them...please stop trying to nitpick as stuff like this will not justify non-video game characters like Goku and Optimus Prime...

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's more likely that they designed the movie around the character rather then vice versa. Remember that the job of the Pokémon movies is to hype the legendary/mascot/etc. for the generation, and every one of them does that by focusing on the Pokémon and their respective characteristics. That's why the Reshiram/Zekrom movie was a dual release and focused heavily on their duality concept, that's why Arceus being a creator deity/rampaging god had a large role in its movie, that's why the recent Hoopa movie had the Pokémon summon random legendaries from out of nowhere (which as a bonus, was a feature in ORAS) and so on. None of those Pokémon were designed for the movie, so Lucario was likely designed in the same manner as them, Pokémon first, movie character second.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Lucario is a Pokemon, designed for the Pokemon games, such is the case for other pokes such as Blaziken and Zoroark...and was added to the movies/anime as a promotion for the upcoming Generation of Pokemon games, nothing more nothing less.......This is how Pokemon has functioned for years...and will continue to function...We will see a new pokemon before we get Generation 7 games...Yes. Technically Lucario 'debuted' in the anime, but he's still apart of a series of video games...that have movie and anime adaptations...

Gen 2 pokemon such as Togepi, Marill and Donphan...were origianlly designed to be in Generation 1 but were cut initially, then later added in Gen 2...pokemon has been known to recycle a lot of their designed through generations

ROB...is a piece of video game hardware...

Both are still owned by Nintendo, Both are still heavily associated with Video games as opposed to simply being adapted to them...please stop trying to nitpick as stuff like this will not justify non-video game characters like Goku and Optimus Prime...
Well we weren't trying to justify Goku or Optimus prime, we were justifying Miku.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm not nitpicking to justify anything, god forbid though, right?
Jeez.
Just stating the facts sir.

Lucario and ROB didn't originate in a video game, anything you wanna rationalize after that or justify the exception is up to you.

I was more so pointing out Sakurai's guidelines aren't full proof, hes gone back on stuff etc.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I really enjoyed Shovel Knight.
So it is true that some (purely emotional) small part of my brain would enjoy seeing him in smash.
The much larger rational part of my brain recognizes that it's a horrible, nonsensical idea, and would be pissed.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I dont see us getting results period. . .too much salt if characters with high requests dont get picked. . .

This shovel knight argument went on for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long.

So to bring up another topic i'll pose a question I gave nintenzone

So would you guys rather have:

A) another Mewtwo (a generally wanted character by pretty much everyone)
or
B) another Ryu (a totally out of the blue character that fits smash bros well and isn't some obscure nobody but not necessarily requested)

???
and no "all the above" is not an answer as much as others tried :glare:
personally I would prefer B
I would want another Ryu.
Mainly because I support Excitebike.
The best character and the one everyone should be supporting.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well we weren't trying to justify Goku or Optimus prime, we were justifying Miku.
(who?) was using them as examples anyway...

Regardless, my final point is from what we have seen in Smash so far and very likely will ever see if the character hasn't originated in a Video Game they a) need to be heavily associated with video games and b) are still owned by Nintendo...even then a line has been made, why do you think we had 'Pokemon Trainer' and not 'Ash' in Brawl...nor any mention of Team Rocket (Jessie and James) in Smash despite them being very popular characters in the anime...

I'm not nitpicking to justify anything, god forbid though, right?
Jeez.
Just stating the facts sir.

Lucario and ROB didn't originate in a video game, anything you wanna rationalize after that or justify the exception is up to you.

I was more so pointing out Sakurai's guidelines aren't full proof, hes gone back on stuff etc.
I'm not trying to fire shots here, but I've seen you bring this up before and say that Sakurai has made exceptions even though these exceptions still have justifiable reasons behind them...see above points...

Some people may look into such things too deeply and feel characters like Goku may have a chance because ROB 'technically' didn't originate in a Video game...even though he was a toy 'made' for video games...

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
ANYWAY

You know what has always struck me as odd? Why I don't see more people trying to drum up support for Crono from Crono Trigger.

I don't necessarily support him myself, but considering how popular and nostalgic the game is I'm surprised I don't see it brought up more. I guess because there was only one sequel that was not super well received and it's faded from public consciousness a bit.

Anyone else have thoughts?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
(who?) was using them as examples anyway...

Regardless, my final point is from what we have seen in Smash so far and very likely will ever see if the character hasn't originated in a Video Game they a) need to be heavily associated with video games and b) are still owned by Nintendo...even then a line has been made, why do you think we had 'Pokemon Trainer' and not 'Ash' in Brawl...nor any mention of Team Rocket (Jessie and James) in Smash despite them being very popular characters in the anime...

I'm not trying to fire shots here, but I've seen you bring this up before and say that Sakurai has made exceptions even though these exceptions still have justifiable reasons behind them...see above points...

Some people may look into such things too deeply and feel characters like Goku may have a chance because ROB 'technically' didn originate in a Video game...even though he was a toy 'made' for video games...
Ash, Misty and Brock are mentioned in the Pokemon Trainer Trophy's description in Brawl. Along with a reference to the anime theme song.

It seems the notion of someone wanting a stupid character deeply bothers you.
Sorry I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
I take it back, ROB did originate in a video game and so did Lucario.

:troll:

ANYWAY

You know what has always struck me as odd? Why I don't see more people trying to drum up support for Crono from Crono Trigger.

I don't necessarily support him myself, but considering how popular and nostalgic the game is I'm surprised I don't see it brought up more. I guess because there was only one sequel that was not super well received and it's faded from public consciousness a bit.

Anyone else have thoughts?
It was and is still a great game.
I think the lack of partnership between Nintendo and Square didn't help any Square reps.
Sony is a major share holder for Square aswell, so fans may associate it too closely to Sony.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

So...? :chuckle:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So would you guys rather have:

A) another Mewtwo (a generally wanted character by pretty much everyone)
or
B) another Ryu (a totally out of the blue character that fits smash bros well and isn't some obscure nobody but not necessarily requested)
C) Someone I want.

Like everyone else here this is all I really care about at the end of the day. If I don't like the DLC character(or at least my friends don't care about them) I won't bother buying them just like I didn't bother shelling out for Lucas.

If I really had to choose, I'd begrudgingly pick A) since at least lots of other people wanted the character.
As cool as Ryu was(and he is a great addition) I'd rather have someone who feels like they got in on the merit of the ballot rather than Sakurai taking a random shine to someone no-one's been voting for but is popular elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom