• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for all of you, knowing that the fighter ballot ends in 2 days:

How much time they took to make a fighter with movesets? And the battlefields?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Doesn't sound incredibly overconfident or imply SK is already confirmed. They haven't even asked people to vote in a while- not that I'm saying he's in Smash or anything (he's most likely not), but this is a far cry from Wayforward's teasing and plugging.
To be fair, Gamecube.
To be fair, Gamecube only could be any reasoning for Path of Radiance. Radiant Dawn was Wii.

It's namely the fact that the series was associated to handhelds due to FE6-8 and similarly Advance Wars region on the GBA that made the jump back to home consoles less approachable for people.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
How much time did they take to make a fighter? And the battlefields?
I believe this is how you wanted to phrase that sentence?
Around 7-5 months a character, but that's just a guess

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm afraid it's my job to shatter such illusions with cold, hard truth.;)
Quite ironic for a man with the name 'False Sense'. :laugh:

But it will be nice to be done with people constantly promoting their character for the Ballot, at least.
Exactly. We'll at least move to another, more natural state of speculation. One where you and I can't expect to directly influence the results of who becomes DLC in SSB4.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Oh, you poor sweet kiddies.

Speculation's going to end but hundreds of people will be complaining about why their character didn't make it anyway for a long time, so it's not exactly a full stop once DLC is truly over. The ride ends, but the feels don't. :p

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Nope; Robin was apparently planned from the initial presentation, IIRC. I think that's on SG somewhere; I know it was on the front page.
I understand that. But when was the original idea even pitched? Five days after he starting working on the game? I doubt that.

He had to have worked for a while on the roster before pitching the game.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh, you poor sweet kiddies.

Speculation's going to end but hundreds of people will be complaining about why their character didn't make it anyway for a long time, so it's not exactly a full stop once DLC is truly over. The ride ends, but the feels don't. :p
So when it comes to DLC...

2bCgBOf.png

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I understand that. But when was the original idea even pitched? Five days after he starting working on the game? I doubt that.

He had to have worked for a while on the roster before pitching the game.
The project was proposed on April 26th of 2012, and Robin was included in that proposal; so Sakurai was obviously considering Robin from the beginning of development. Iwata announced it ("it" meaning a sequel to Brawl) was being created at E3 2011, and Robin is known to have been in the game since April of 2012, which is the year that we know development started at, so Robin had to have been settled on between July 2011 and April 2012.

So again, Robin was likely going to be in the game from pretty much it's inception; we already know Sakurai's a huge Fire Emblem fan, so it's likely he had settled on Robin as a newcomer before he even pitched the idea to Nintendo, as well as thinking about adding Chrom as a fighter before dropping him in August of that year.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
The project was proposed on April 26th of 2012, and Robin was included in that proposal; so Sakurai was obviously considering Robin from the beginning of development. Iwata announced it ("it" meaning a sequel to Brawl) was being created at E3 2011, and Robin is known to have been in the game since April of 2012, which is the year that we know development started at, so Robin had to have been settled on between July 2011 and April 2012.

So again, Robin was likely going to be in the game from pretty much it's inception; we already know Sakurai's a huge Fire Emblem fan, so it's likely he had settled on Robin as a newcomer before he even pitched the idea to Nintendo, as well as thinking about adding Chrom as a fighter before dropping him in August of that year.
Didn't Sakurai himself say that the choice of Robin came to him as he was playing Awakening?
As it came out April 12th, 2012 in Japan, either he got it day one and binged it, or it was past April.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Didn't Sakurai himself say that the choice of Robin came to him as he was playing Awakening?
As it came out April 12th, 2012 in Japan, either he got it day one and binged it, or it was past April.
Sakurai goes to the companies at times, it'd explain how Roy mimiced his Master Lord sprite in Melee, I wouldn't be surprised if he got to play it or see the whole thing

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's an option too.
I was just... poking at the chronology of things.
I wouldn't be surprised that Sakurai was given a rather early look at everything, especially as he saw Greninja when he wasn't finalized, so my guess is he saw everything and said 'Better hope this boosts Awakening's sales a bit' by decided to add a character

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I believe he did... But you may have to dig up the translation to prove it...

Burruni

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be surprised that Sakurai was given a rather early look at everything, especially as he saw Greninja when he wasn't finalized, so my guess is he saw everything and said 'Better hope this boosts Awakening's sales a bit' by decided to add a character
I believe you mean.
"It's time to tip some sales."

Edit: "I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn’t easy by any means.

Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks–that is, allow him to use magic." Of course, this is interjected with some "translators notes" so to speak.

Source: http://wiiudaily.com/2014/07/chrom-not-in-super-smash-bros/

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Man, I hope they just spit out the results soon. Like this or next week.
Then we can finally prepare for the cards we're being dealt.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Quite ironic for a man with the name 'False Sense'. :laugh:
Ironic, or symbolic? ;)

Man, I hope they just spit out the results soon. Like this or next week.
Then we can finally prepare for the cards we're being dealt.
I hope you're not expecting them to actually publish the results of the Ballot. It's highly unlikely they'd actually do that, especially before they actually released the characters they picked from it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It's very likely that they won't publish the results of the ballot, ESPECIALLY in full.

However, there's one thing I'd like to throw out.

Say, on the third, we get the news of :wolf: and K. Rool, as a celebration of the end of the ballot.

And they conclude it with "That's but one of the fighters we have chosen from your requests. Stay tuned for more over the upcoming months."

How do we proceed?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Panic and argue. Same as always.
The only difference is we dont have to be angry those 2 aren't playable anymore (while some are angry those 2 are playable)
I was meaning about the site itself. I question if, with the ballot officially ending, we'd see lockings of subthreads.

Last edited:
I was meaning about the site itself. I question if, with the ballot officially ending, we'd see lockings of subthreads.
I believe it has been stated they wont close until DLC officially ends.

Assuming it is closed I will absolutely be opening up my predefined support threads group up or the entire smash community. People wont need to leave if they dont want to :p

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Let's be real, people will almost exclusively adore whatever character it is, but Wolf and K. Rool specifically are quite possibly the two characters who would generate not just the fewest complaints, but the most joy. Like hell is that some polarizing situation where "some people like them, some people hate them, both sides matter!" especially if more characters beyond them were promised.

So, basically, unless your character hinges on being chosen via the Sakurai Dartboard Method, getting two of the biggest names out of the way early would be supremely satisfying for almost everyone, especially since it shuts down the "costumes = deconfirmed" crap.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I would actually be thrilled for K. Rool. Been wayyyyyyy too long by my reckoning, should've been playable a looooong time ago.

Whether or not I'd play him, though, is a matter of how he turns out. Same with any of the other possible characters.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ironic, or symbolic? ;)
Perhaps both, depending on how you look at it. :smirk:

Let's be real, people will almost exclusively adore whatever character it is, but Wolf and K. Rool specifically are quite possibly the two characters who would generate not just the fewest complaints, but the most joy. Like hell is that some polarizing situation where "some people like them, some people hate them, both sides matter!" especially if more characters beyond them were promised.

So, basically, unless your character hinges on being chosen via the Sakurai Dartboard Method, getting two of the biggest names out of the way early would be supremely satisfying for almost everyone, especially since it shuts down the "costumes = deconfirmed" crap.
Sakurai seems to be in touch with the fanbase nowadays.

This can be used as a subjective argument.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My guess is that there currently aren't any ballot characters finished. They probably have taken a look at who is in the lead and prospective movesets/concepts for some of the characters. But I don't think anyone on the Ballot (unless they were already planned) would be revealed at the end as, "THESE GUYS WON!". If that were the case, why keep the ballot up for so long aside from it being a publicity stunt?

I'm holding out for Wolf as a pre-planned character (why plan all the other vets as DLC except for him?).

Frankly, I can only see the last two Mario slots working out in a few ways. It's either

a) two characters are left as pre-ballot DLC, with additional slots to be added for ballot DLC
b) one character is still pre-ballot, one is going to be from the ballot
c) one ballot character will be Western favored, the other will be Eastern favored
d) 2 characters are chosen from the ballot

That's all I can really think of.

Morbi

Scavenger

I am not entirely certain, what do you think about Banjo and Kazooie? I feel as though they are one of the more prominent third-party choices and as far as I can tell, nobody is really opposed to them. They just do not find them likely for "business" related reasons. The speculation community does not pay them much attention; however, I believe the casual community probably still has love for the bear and bird.

They have nothing to do with the costumes=de-confirmed sentiment, but I believe they apply to the other notion you brought forth.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Or perhaps, the number of Marios in the data mine is arbitrary.

Sakurai knew he'd want more characters for DLC, so he added two for future work.

The SSB4 team probably doesn't work on more than two characters at a time.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Sakurai knew he'd want more characters for DLC, so he added two for future work.

That's also a fair option. They could add more slots later on.

Morbi

Scavenger

I would hate to be that person, but in that event, the number of "Marios" in the data mine is the opposite of arbitrary.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I am not entirely certain, what do you think about Banjo and Kazooie? I feel as though they are one of the more prominent third-party choices and as far as I can tell, nobody is really opposed to them. They just do not find them likely for "business" related reasons. The speculation community does not pay them much attention; however, I believe the casual community probably still has love for the bear and bird.

They have nothing to do with the costumes=de-confirmed sentiment, but I believe they apply to the other notion you brought forth.
Banjo would be awesome, not just because Banjo is awesome... But the surprise no one really saw coming factor.
I'd be hype as F son.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I would hate to be that person, but in that event, the number of "Marios" in the data mine is the opposite of arbitrary.
No, you wouldn't. You delight in being that person, Morbid. :b:

I know how big of a burden it was for you to take up such a role, Morbid. And I thank you for the sacrifices you bear so that the rest of us don't have to.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Five or more months? I'm pretty sure it takes nowhere near that long.
Well let's see first you have to get the rights for the character to be used
then the character model has to be made, coloured, textured, then there's 7 more colours maybe even alt costumes, takes extra time
Then the Character has to be animated, that's the walk, the run, the jump, every. single. attack.
Then you have to get the sound effects, visual effects, fix the frame data so everything hits as it should, make sure things aren't too over or under powered
and after tat you have to test these attacks on the rest of the roster to see what works, does this move reflect? What needs more priority?
this isn't even everything and you'd think it would only take around... What 3 Months?
Everything has to be quality it's not going to be perfect first try, and even then it still might not be the best it can be,be thankful we have patches for that, this takes a lot of time and effort.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well let's see first you have to get the rights for the character to be used
then the character model has to be made, coloured, textured, then there's 7 more colours maybe even alt costumes, takes extra time
Then the Character has to be animated, that's the walk, the run, the jump, every. single. attack.
Then you have to get the sound effects, visual effects, fix the frame data so everything hits as it should, make sure things aren't too over or under powered
and after tat you have to test these attacks on the rest of the roster to see what works, does this move reflect? What needs more priority?
this isn't even everything and you'd think it would only take around... What 3 Months?
Everything has to be quality it's not going to be perfect first try, and even then it still might not be the best it can be,be thankful we have patches for that, this takes a lot of time and effort.
I am not certain, I read somewhere that the DLC characters would each take 2-3 months; yet, when I searched for an article, I found one where Sakurai asserts that it could take an entire year. However, we have had 4 DLC characters and it has not been quite a year. So, honestly, who the **** knows?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

"Could this be a sign of things to come?" - Ubisoft Twitter
That's like Kojima-esque teasing.
One thing I want to say is that Ubisoft is inconsistant, first they say that they're fine with three trophies, and now they want people to vote for Rayman??? Inconsistancy at its finest people.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I am not certain, I read somewhere that the DLC characters would each take 2-3 months; yet, when I searched for an article, I found one where Sakurai asserts that it could take an entire year. However, we have had 4 DLC characters and it has not been quite a year. So, honestly, who the **** knows?

Well they WERE Pre-ballot, so who's not to say they just weren't finished in time?

Or they were being worked out at the same time as one another.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
One thing I want to say is that Ubisoft is inconsistant, first they say that they're fine with three trophies, and now they want people to vote for Rayman??? Inconsistancy at its finest people.
They were fine with three trophies when there was no chance of Rayman being added to the roster.

Now that the door is open, I don't see why they won't go for it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
They were fine with three trophies when there was no chance of Rayman being added to the roster.

Now that the door is open, I don't see why they won't go for it.
No, I mean during the Rayman leak that happened during Valentine's day, when people were begging for him to be DLC.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Is inconsistency in "for fun" video-game "politics" honestly that much of a problem? You make it sound as though we have a presidential candidate that keeps on flip-flopping on relevant social issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom