• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Perhaps the circumstances weren't right back then.

With the massive following he has from industry figures and fans for DLC now, it's easy to see why people think he's got the biggest shot. If you ask me, his popularity now puts his pre-release fame to shame.
Perhaps so, but would you mind elaborating what circumstances could hinder his chances in the last two installments?

Also, I feel his popularity is about the same as earlier. But I haven't looked into it much.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So, honest question, out of Isaac or Bandana Dee, which one is perceived as more likely? They both are super popular in one region and decently popular everywhere else, both are from arguably underrepped series, one's Golden Sun (No reps) and the other's Kirby. One of the things I could see tipping the scales in favor of one would be their future, and Bandana Dee seems to have the stronger future, but I could also see Sakurai's personal bias getting in the way of Bandana Dee (Who's character only really developed after Sakurai left) so personally I think their about even, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something that makes the other more likely?
Bdee.He has a future and is appearing a lot more in kirby.Golden sun as a series is dead and Isaacs best shot was brawl he can still get in this tims around but yeah not holding my breath

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Perhaps so, but would you mind elaborating what circumstances could hinder his chances in the last two installments?

Also, I feel his popularity is about the same as earlier. But I haven't looked into it much.
Someone more versed in Brawl speculation could tell you that, really, I'm just a guy from this game's speculation.

Though in Brawl's case, Diddy probably had priority.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I've figured it out. The Pirate Ship stage was released so they can make a cool Donkey Kong Country-esque trailer for King K. Rool.

Calling it now. ;)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
K. Rool's lack of Retro DKC showings and costume may be reasons to suspect his chances as fans, but they're not "obstacles" to him getting in. All it would take for Sakurai to overcome those supposed problems is to say "He has not appeared recently and I chose to make a costume of him. Fans still want him in overwhelming numbers, though, so who cares? INCLUDE!"
Yes, you're right. Such "obstacles" are creations of the fan-base rather than something that would genuinely prevent Sakurai from adding K. Rool. Perhaps I could have worded that better.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
So, what if with the "winner" of the ballot they decide to do it a la Mewtwo, showing the model with no movement in a Direct and a release date, and then show the trailer on the release date? I see this kind of possible since a Direct is overdue now, and the maybe the model could be done in a couple of weeks (No idea about the time it takes but I'm guessing that only the model shouldn't take too long).

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Ladies and Gents, since the announcement of Sm4sh a couple of years ago we were all excited and amazed of who we might see in the new games. There were leaks, rumors and any other form of information scattering across the internet. Most of it was fake with some of it being true much to some's relief and much to other's disappointment.

When we were on our way to Smash 3DS' release date, Sakurai released trailers for the new characters. Many a smasher were overjoyed when a character they wanted finally got into Smash Bros. but for others, as the trailers started to slow down as we closer to the release date, they were getting a little antsy and depressed thinking their most wanted character might not get into Smash, but were still clinging on, hoping that their character might just make it.

Fast forward to Smash 3DS' release. We all get the game and start playing it. Naturally, we knew it was going to be a fun game and we have a blast with our friends and the online community.

As we were unlocking the characters and looking at the final roster, many were happy with the character choices and/or the variety that the roster brought. However, many of us were a little disappointed at what we saw.

The roster is great, don't get me wrong, and there certainly is variety among it, but some of the character choices and, to an extent, franchise representation left a bad taste in my mouth.

Eventually, we got over it and continued to play the game we love. But we never suspected what was to come.

Fast foward again to before Smash Wii U's release: The 50 Fact Extravaganza. Sakurai and Nintendo release a 50 fact video showing the content in Smash Wii U. Many of the features we saw we were excited for, other features, not so much. But the biggest surprise came at the end.

As we are watching the end of the video thinking it was over, Xander (the announcer) tells us it's time for a special announcement. A wire frame panning upward appears. To many of us it was instantly recognizable:

It was Mewtwo. Mewtwo was coming back to Smash as a DLC fighter.

We were caught off guard. Many of us were excited he was coming back. Then we came to the conclusion that others might be DLC as well. We were hopeful.

We were right about more DLC when as we got close to Mewtwo's release date, Sakurai releases a trailer for Mewtwo followed by a trailer that to many's hope and joy, Lucas was coming back as well (unknowningly with Roy and Ryu soon to follow). Most of us presumed that Lucas was the last DLC because Nintendo was not know for doing DLC practices.

Then it happened.

After Lucas' trailer, Iwata (RIP) appears on screen and asks the viewers how they are liking the games and then asks us if we can think of more characters. That last question caught our attention and we suspected that Nintendo had something in store. Iwata then tells us that after much consideration, Nintendo was going to release something that we were estatic for:

The Smash Bros. Ballot.

Nintendo was going to let us vote for our favorite characters to put into the current games and possibly the next one. This was the light at the end of the tunnel for those that didn't get their character in the initial roster. This was their next chance. Their time had finally come.

We are now less than 24 hours away from the ballot closing. I have seen the support for many a character during the time the ballot was open and it felt good seeing that. You may finally have your long awaited character.

The results are still unknown to us so if the character we want doesn't get in, naturally I expect all of us to be disappointed, I mean who wouldn't be.

But I also want all of us to get over that disappointment should it happen and congratulate the supporters whose character did get in.

Ladies and Gents, we are still not certain who we are going to get after the ballot closes, but I want you all to figuratively shake the hands of the men and women who have supported their character and wish them the best of luck.

Even if the character I want doesn't get in, I will give credit where credit is due and continue playing the game that I love.

I wish you all the best of luck and I'll see you all on the other side.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My question is, if King K. Rool has always been so popular and requested. Why hasn't he appeared yet? You'd think someone like the King would've appeared by now.
You could say that for any newcomer ever, but for K. Rool, there are reasonable explanations:

--Rare buyout during Melee's development throwing a giant wrench into the inclusion of DK series content...resulted in Diddy getting in as late as Brawl when he should have been in Melee, pushing K. Rool, Dixie and others back even further.

--An official popularity survey wasn't taken since 2005, and only in Japan. K. Rool's popularity began rising in 2007 after Diddy's reveal, then again in around 2010-12. His support basically took off after the rosters were decided for both Brawl and Smash 4. Not the case anymore.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Someone more versed in Brawl speculation could tell you that, really, I'm just a guy from this game's speculation.

Though in Brawl's case, Diddy probably had priority.
I'll elaborate.

With Brawl, there was a multitude of Nintendo characters that hadn't been added yet: Wario, Diddy, Olimar, Kind Dedede, Meta-Knight and Wolf. There were also some new faces that got added as well and the third party characters. The competition was much greater for characters to get in, and other popular characters also weren't included, like Little Mac. Back then, King K. Rool was still relevant as he was in all the DK games save Jungle Beat.

Fast forward to 2015, and its entirely different. The most recent and successful DK games don't even have the Kremlings, and K. Rool's last appearance was a sports game in 2008. Smash 4 focused more on newer characters (Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit and Shulk) and characters who had been in games recently (Villager, Little Mac, Palutena, Bowser Jr.). The only characters who feel outside of this was Duck Hunt and the third party characters. The focus wasn't to bring K. Rool in as a playerable character.

K. Rool's best chance is the ballot. The ballot will likely focus more on fan favorite since the ballot is a sly way of gauging interest in characters. That's not to say he will happen, and Sakurai will likely consider characters based on the same criteria as before. Still, I think his popularity will make him stand out more for sure.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I voted a few months ago for a character I knew had no chance. I decided what they hey and voted once more for a more realistic character (Krystal).

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Although I support Isaac more than B DEE, I'm in the same camp that Bdee honestly has a much better chance of actually making it in. Why? Because he has a future ahead of him, and isn't another Anime swordsman. He would be much more unique than Isaac, who in all honesty would probably be similar to Robin.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
You could say that for any newcomer ever, but for K. Rool, there are reasonable explanations:

--Rare buyout during Melee's development throwing a giant wrench into the inclusion of DK series content...resulted in Diddy getting in as late as Brawl when he should have been in Melee, pushing K. Rool, Dixie and others back even further.

--An official popularity survey wasn't taken since 2005, and only in Japan. K. Rool's popularity began rising in 2007 after Diddy's reveal, then again in around 2010-12. His support basically took off after the rosters were decided for both Brawl and Smash 4. Not the case anymore.
I somewhat disagree with your first statement, but I do recognize your two explanations. However, I thought he had a lot of support and popularity before Smash 4's development. Not as much as he does now, but definitely a notable amount.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My final ballot votes:
1. Professor Layton
2. Komasan
3. Jibanyan
4. Classic Ganon
5. Bayonetta
6. Prince of Sable
7. Melia
8. Geno
9. Masked Man
10. Hades
11. Frogger

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My Ballot votes:
-King K. Rool
-Isaac

...Yeah, that's about it.

I guess we are doing this

1. Viridi
2. Ridley
3. Wonder Red
4. Agnes Oblige
5. Wonder Red
6. Melia
7. Dixie Kong
8. Wonder Red
9. Dixie Kong
10. Captain Toad
101. Wonder Red
Sorry Mr. Phoenix Wright

Last edited:
My ballot votes (haven't submitted many):

1) King K. Rool (several)
2) Bandana Dee (several)
3) Wolf (couple of times)
4) Captain Toad (once or twice, can't remember)
5) Gengar (once)

Last votes were for K. Rool (computer) and Bandana Dee (mobile).

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've only ever voted for Toad or Captain Toad, and Banjo and Kazooie.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I voted for

Lyndis
Impa (Hyrule Warriors ver.)
Dark Samus
Wolf
Solid Snake (Back when Konami wasn't blowing up)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I somewhat disagree with your first statement, but I do recognize your two explanations. However, I thought he had a lot of support and popularity before Smash 4's development. Not as much as he does now, but definitely a notable amount.
He did, but the timing was still not in his favor. From translations, we know that the game's roster was first put together in March 2012 and finalized in early summer. K. Rool's support thread, which drew in and unified the bulk of his online support, started in late May 2012 and took a while to gather steam, while the Kremling Kampaign movement, which got the attention of Retro Studios and its CEO, started July 2014.

K. Rool had support back then, definitely, but it was scattered and way less noticeable than someone like Ridley's, especially when you consider the barometer for popularity was, again, a Japanese survey from 2005.

Side note, it's fun to be arguing about K. Rool support unrelated to the stupid talking point of "It's just a loud vocal minority who won't be noticed at all, and the character is dead."

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
My ballot votes:

1. Ray 01
2. Chibi Robo
3. Lyn
4. Dixie
5. Inklings

I'm also a supporter of Krool, but felt he didn't need my support.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I voted for:
Midna & Wolf Link. That's it.
I regret it now, but it's there. If it actually helps them get in, the people who are still fans of Midna will thank me.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I voted:

- Snake
- Wolf
- K. Rool
- Ghirahim
- Tiki
- Anna
- Azura

I've probably voted for more characters but I forgot who else I voted for lol

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I only voted for K. Rool once lol...
Well if anyone is like me, they had this weird impulse to submit a lot of votes right after the ballot came out, as if that'd cause them to create characters faster.

I knew that didn't help, but the hype got the better of me and probably everyone else.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
He did, but the timing was still not in his favor. From translations, we know that the game's roster was first put together in March 2012 and finalized in early summer. K. Rool's support thread, which drew in and unified the bulk of his online support, started in late May 2012 and took a while to gather steam, while the Kremling Kampaign movement, which got the attention of Retro Studios and its CEO, started July 2014.

K. Rool had support back then, definitely, but it was scattered and way less noticeable than someone like Ridley's, especially when you consider the barometer for popularity was, again, a Japanese survey from 2005.

Side note, it's fun to be arguing about K. Rool support unrelated to the stupid talking point of "It's just a loud vocal minority who won't be noticed at all, and the character is dead."
Oh wow, that information was actually very intriguing! With all this considered, it makes sense why this could be his spotlight. Which, hopefully happens.
ONE LAST DAY TO VOTE ON THE SG POLLS!
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/02/final-vote-reminder/
We also have a preview of the results for part 1 of the individual character poll if you're wondering.
If you haven't voted! PLEASE DO SO!
Paper Mario in the top 3 pure average? Holy cow, let's go Gonzales!

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Not really votes but my top 3 choices are:

- Eliwood from Fire Emblem
- Lana from Hyrule Warriors
- Fiora from Xenoblade

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I voted for:
  • Crash Bandicoot (very first one I did)
  • Inklings
  • Daisy
  • Paper Mario
All one time. If I had more devices, Id have voted for the others in my signature

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Less than 24 hours away...?

How time flies.

My votes (on three different computers):
-Professor Layton
-King K. Roll
-Muddy Mole

Two unlikely puzzle characters, and one KROC of a guy.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
- Roy (Before the April 15th leaks)

- Andy

- Isaac

- Solid Snake

- Bandana Dee

- Wolf

- Young Link (Not to vote him in as DLC. Only to provide an explanation as to why he should be in Smash 5).

Less than 24 hours away...?

How time flies.
Really? Because for me and others, it felt like 6 years as opposed to 6 months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom