• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
...I guess there's no stoping it now huh? Ah well..

In any case, i'm happy to see fellow YLink supporters here. I never knew @KenithTheGatherer was a YLink supporter so i'm happy to see that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As you stated before, fan-service applies to literally any and all characters. So that is certainly not going to be Young Link's crux.

Of course, I meant as a last minute addition, after all of the other ballot characters are finished (so I assumed Wolf would already be in the game before Young Link/Pichu are even considered).
It is when Yink's fans are few and far in between and DLC needs to sell
I highly doubt Sakurai would do a last minute addition for DLC regardless unless one counts Mii costumes

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I put in my vote for Isaac but I do give my support to other characters especially K. Rool and his supporters. I didn't vote for him but after the mii costume fiasco and after hanging around K. Rool support thread for a bit, the King grew on me.

I wouldn't mind if K. Rool or some other characters (provided I like them) got in, but Isaac is first priority for me.

As for Young Link, I don't think we need another Link in the game. You can make him as unique as you want but by the end of the day, you are still playing Link. Two Links are enough.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It is when Yink's fans are few and far in between and DLC needs to sell
I highly doubt Sakurai would do a last minute addition for DLC regardless unless one counts Mii costumes
Young Link is still Link, the beneficial aspects of being the same character also come with those detrimental aspects that you pointed out. Plus he is a Melee veteran. I am not insinuating that he would be a top selling DLC character, but he will sell.

I also doubt that Sakurai would do last minute DLC; however, I am open to the possibility.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Young Link is still Link, the beneficial aspects of being the same character also come with those detrimental aspects that you pointed out. Plus he is a Melee veteran. I am not insinuating that he would be a top selling DLC character, but he will sell.

I also doubt that Sakurai would do last minute DLC; however, I am open to the possibility.
A friend of mine mained Yink and used him the most in melee. He believes Yink is unnecessary because Tink is the same. Saying 'muh Melee' isn't going to help because again, Yink wasn't popular to begin with. Hell, Japan loves their veterans but I never saw Yink in the top 10 there but the other veterans are there.

D

Deleted member

Since the Ballot is basically over, i might tell which characters i have voted for:
Roy (i voted for him before the sound files appeared)
Simon Belmont
King K.Rool
Wolf
Isaac
Paper Mario
Bandanna Dee

Characters i wanted to vote for, but couldn't since i didn't had enough devices to vote for them:
Dixie Kong (im so sorry)
Bomberman
Inkling
Balloon Fighter
Lip
Any NPC character that i wanted (Takamaru, Ridley and Waluigi)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
as someone who hasn't seen gameplay of shantae games

this looks pretty good
Shantae games are MetroidVanias, especially this game, try it, it's about 17 bucks on the eshop iirc
but but but... fierce deity final smash
Step 1: Pick Link Step 2: Choose his Fierce Deity costume Step 3: Break a Smash Ball Step 4: ??? Step 5: PROFIT!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
A friend of mine mained Yink and used him the most in melee. He believes Yink is unnecessary because Tink is the same. Saying 'muh Melee' isn't going to help because again, Yink wasn't popular to begin with. Hell, Japan loves their veterans but I never saw Yink in the top 10 there but the other veterans are there.
Okay, well, Young Link is not the same as Toon Link regardless of whether or not your friend believes that Young Link is unnecessary. The 'muh Melee' was mostly in reference to the fact that Smash fans are more inclined to purchase him because they are familiar with him. If Young Link was not in Melee, but yet launched as DLC in this game, I believe that he would sell more poorly. But because he was in Melee, I believe that is enough to warrant a couple of pity purchases here and there. As I clearly stated, multiple times, I do not believe that Young Link is a top contender or the most popular character. I just believe that he is likely under certain circumstances.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'll vote Ridley one last time, vicious as he is the big lad stole my heart and I'll probably never give up on him.

Hell I made separate human-ish versions for the other M one and the Super Metroid one, and have an ask blog raring to go, this isn't a thing I'll give up easily

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay, well, Young Link is not the same as Toon Link regardless of whether or not your friend believes that Young Link is unnecessary. The 'muh Melee' was mostly in reference to the fact that Smash fans are more inclined to purchase him because they are familiar with him. If Young Link was not in Melee, but yet launched as DLC in this game, I believe that he would sell more poorly. But because he was in Melee, I believe that is enough to warrant a couple of pity purchases here and there. As I clearly stated, multiple times, I do not believe that Young Link is a top contender or the most popular character. I just believe that he is likely under certain circumstances.
Just because you're familiar with it doesn't mean you like it. Otherwise Pichu would have been a hell of a lot more popular than ****lord Roy

Morbi

Scavenger
Just because you're familiar with it doesn't mean you like it. Otherwise Pichu would have been a hell of a lot more popular than ****lord Roy
Okay, but again, I did not state/imply that. I stated that in response to your claim that DLC needed to sell well. Young Link has the recent Majora's Mask re-release, relevance to the Smash community (just a factor, nothing more), and a correlation with Nintendo's second largest franchise. His hypothetical DLC would be profitable. Again, maybe not a best seller. But not too shabby for a last minute character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay, but again, I did not state/imply that. I stated that in response to your claim that DLC needed to sell well. Young Link has the recent Majora's Mask re-release, relevance to the Smash community (just a factor, nothing more), and a correlation with Nintendo's second largest franchise. His hypothetical DLC would be profitable. Again, maybe not a best seller. But not too shabby for a last minute character.
Here's the thing: Casuals would think it's Toon Link or 'why would I want another Link?'

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Shantae games are MetroidVanias, especially this game, try it, it's about 17 bucks on the eshop iirc

Step 1: Pick Link Step 2: Choose his Fierce Deity costume Step 3: Break a Smash Ball Step 4: ??? Step 5: PROFIT!
His sword and abilities are nothing like the real Fierce Deity, that's Link cosplaying.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

I'd buy him for like a $1.50 or something.

Morbi

Scavenger
Here's the thing: Casuals would think it's Toon Link or 'why would I want another Link?'
Fair enough, although I would like to point out that there is a dedicated Smash audience that will purchase DLC regardless of which characters are selected. I suppose to objectively evaluate whether or not the minimal effort to develop is worth it, I would need to know the cost to develop him and how much the other DLC characters made. But I have neither of those two values. I just believe that while I might be over-estimating Young Link, you are perhaps underestimating him.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I voted for:
  • Maxwell
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Daitōryō
  • Isaac
  • Dynal
I really, really, really wish something from the Fossil Fighters series (besides its trophy) would get into Smash. I feel like its underrated, and that it should be alongside the likes of series like Pilotwings or Nintendogs in Smash. At the very least, I would like a Fossil Fighters stage.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I voted for:
  • Crono from Chrono Trigger (4 times)
  • Wonder Red (2 times)
  • King K. Rool (2 times)
  • Wolf
  • Ice Climbers (if only to show them we want them to return in Smash 5, I'm well aware of their technical problems)
  • Solid Snake
  • Paper Mario
I do hope I see one or two of my choices become real from the ballot. Crono's my pipe dream character, he probably won't happen, but I'd love to see the others I voted for, especially K. Rool and Wonder Red, but I think I'd be content with any DLC newcomer. I'm not too hard to please, so hopefully I do end up enjoying watever the Smash team brings out soon.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Voted for K Rool and Fiora twice. They're my main wants as DLC. Fiora pretty much climbed up there as I replayed Xenoblade for the nth time whilst K Rool's been a largely wanted character since I beat DKC.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What if Yink had some sword mechanic Kokiri Sword --> Razor Sword --> Gilded Sword
As you take dmg or as you give dmg it upgrades or something.

Morbi

Scavenger
What if Yink had some sword mechanic Kokiri Sword --> Razor Sword --> Gilded Sword
As you take dmg or as you give dmg it upgrades or something.
Interesting idea. I mean, it throws logic out of the window, but I enjoy it nevertheless. Maybe if upgrades after you lose a stock?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Interesting idea. I mean, it throws logic out of the window, but I enjoy it nevertheless. Maybe if upgrades after you lose a stock?
Maybe it works like a Shulk sort of deal, but changing swords doesn't have a timer. There's just clear benefits and issues with each sword. It's not necessarily a transformation either, as the animations for attacks could all be the same, just carrying different properties.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Final votes? Then allow me to list every choice I've made for these past five months.

1. Takamaru
2. Lana
3. Bandanna Dee
4. King K. Rool
5. Fiora
6. Wolf
7. Azura
8. Daisy
9. Arle Nadja
10. Simon Belmont
11. Medusa
12. Banjo Kazooie
13. Captain Toad
14. Mona
15. Vaati
16. Savvy Stylist

So more or less, a mixture of unexpected choices and high rated characters (plus the Assist Trophy).

D

Deleted member

I only voted for Zael and Simon Belmont. Virtually everyone else I support has had plenty of votes already.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Lol idk, I just know in Majora's mask you upgrade the sword, the razor sword breaks after 100 strikes though.
The but once you upgrade it to the Gilded Sword it won't break anymore.
Not sure how it could be worked into Smash, but if you wanna add uniqueness, it's the start of an idea.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
My votes:
  • Krystal
  • Paper Mario
To the people with over 10 votes, how in the heck did you get your hands on that many devices?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
My votes:
  • Krystal
  • Paper Mario
To the people with over 10 votes, how in the heck did you get your hands on that many devices?
After using the devices I had in my home? I drove to my college campus early in the morning to use the computers in the Internet cafe in the college library before anyone else could.

Yes, I was desperate. No, I don't regret it :demon:

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I only voted for:

*Vaati
*Shovelknight

There are not really any other characters that have catched my interest enough to vote for them, but i will still be happy if the more likely characters such as K. Rool, Wolf, Isaac etc gets a spot.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
My votes:
  • Krystal
  • Paper Mario
My household does have many PC devices (laptops and desktop) and I do own two Nintendo platforms to use for my advantage. There are times where I'd use a third party Wi-Fi connection from other places or I can use the usual library visit to put my limited times to use. And that's not getting into the many Apple devices I own (I Phone, broken I Pod Touch, I Pad).

If you think that's bad then, I'd rather not mention the times when my girlfriend would ravage multiples laptops for nearly 3 hours a week just to vote and use her cellphone in the many places with Wi-Fi connection (Starbucks and all). She's crazy, but she's still my crazy darling. :laugh:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
You can vote on a single outlet. The site simply states to limit votes to one per person.

Granted, a lot of people simply decided to vote for numerous characters that they want to appear as either DLC or as a candidate for 5mash once it arrives 5 years from now (I should know, I'm guilty of this too lol).

The only reason people voted across multiple platforms is because we have no clue how Nintendo is going to count legitimate votes.

Last edited:

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I voted for:

1. Bandana Waddle Dee

And that's it. I only voted once, because I'm a good and honest little Smasher. ;)
That, and he's the only character I REALLY want in Smash, especially out of the "popular" choices. Sure, I like Wolf too, but I can always go back to Brawl if he somehow doesn't make it. So basically, newcomers are higher priority for me, rather than veterans. (And to be honest, Wolf is so popular and highly-requested that I would be really surprised if he isn't one of the winners! So, I'm not sure if my vote would even matter at this point. It's like getting extra credit points when you already have an A in the class. It's nice and all, but not really needed.)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Since the topic seems to pertain to voted ballot characters, I voted for my two most wanted.

• Paper Mario
  • King K. Rool

I think King K. Rool has a good shot and I also think Paper Mario's chances are underrated. But, we'll see what happens.
After using the devices I had in my home? I drove to my college campus early in the morning to use the computers in the Internet cafe in the college library before anyone else could.
I did the same to vote for King K. Rool just in case it overwrites your votes(I was already on campus though). I was going to vote for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Bandana Dee too. But I got lazy and ended up going home.
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom