• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
You know when you say your bittersweet goodbye to somebody near and dear to you, and then the train is delayed so you just stand there awkwardly with nothing to say?

This is basically that.

Oh well, another day, another drama.

I love you guys really tho~ ;3
Well technically the ballot still hasn't ended yet.

Oh well, Time to put in ANOTHER vote for Daisy ;)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well technically the ballot still hasn't ended yet.

Oh well, Time to put in ANOTHER vote for Daisy ;)
I think that was her point.

Everyone was saying there goodbyes like it was going to end, but then it didn't. So we are all standing here awkwardly over how emotional everyone was being.

I guess no one realized the deadline was inclusive rather than exclusive. :p

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
Well, everyone has said what they thought were the 3 placeholders characters (for the sake of this, pre-ballot)
3 Placeholders:
:snake::wolf::ivysaur:
Snake's trailer will be the most hypeworthy, Nintendo using the wait from Lucas/Royu to their advantage, "Sorry to keep you waiting"

Then ballot picks,
K Rool
Isaac
Shantae
Bandana Dee

My predictions, if there are only 3 characters left:
- Wolf (of course)
- King K. Rool
- either Isaac or Bandana Dee (the latter is slightly more likely imo)

My actual prediction is that we get all four of the above.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Here are the characters I think have a substantial (Though not necessarily good) chance:
Wolf, K. Rool, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Captain Toad, Rayman, Banjo and Kazooie.
I'd say Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Paper Mario are borderline.

Basty

Smash Ace
I think the 3 characters we'll see will all be popular smash ballot votes so King K. Rool, Wolf and any one of Inkling,Shantae,Isaac,Shovel Knight or Banjo

Then from that point on sakurai won't care too much about who got the most votes but just take suggestions instead

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
well i thought something more interesting would've happened by now, guess we gotta do as we've always done
wait

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
well i thought something more interesting would've happened by now, guess we gotta do as we've always done
wait
So, are people generally expecting something else to happen when the Ballot closes?

I mean, for all people are building up this moment, I think it's going to be rather uneventful. :ohwell:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So, are people generally expecting something else to happen when the Ballot closes?

I mean, for all people are building up this moment, I think it's going to be rather uneventful. :ohwell:
I mean at the least I was expecting a bigger annoucment that it was closing, y'know

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nintendo has gotten so many votes, they want a stealth ending so 10,000+ votes for Shrek don't pour in.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'd prefer the Dee, and I think he's more likely, but Isaac is more deserving of the spot IMO. Sure Dee's been in more games, but Isaac is actually the protagonist of his series. It's a series with tons of stuff that would work nicely in Smash Bros. Meanwhile, the Kirby series already has quite a bit, including three playable characters. Isaac has actually been humiliated, with less deserving characters that actually became playable. Isaac was only an AT, then he got cut. The Venus Adept has a lot to bring to the table, like earth manipulation (which I'd say is something we need).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd prefer the Dee, and I think he's more likely, but Isaac is more deserving of the spot IMO. Sure Dee's been in more games, but Isaac is actually the protagonist of his series. It's a series with tons of stuff that would work nicely in Smash Bros. Meanwhile, the Kirby series already has quite a bit, including three playable characters. Isaac has actually been humiliated, with less deserving characters that actually became playable. Isaac was only an AT, then he got cut. The Venus Adept has a lot to bring to the table, like earth manipulation (which I'd say is something we need).
Unless we got Muddy Mole... The master Earth Bender. :p

Jk. Isaac would be a nice addition. The name 'Robin' (Isaac's name in Japan) seems to attract greatness.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
My guess is,
Since the Ballot JUST Ends Today, the 3 slots are for Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur, to be released in the mean time to tide us over while they work on the actual Winners of the Ballot.
They had to be developing Someone in all of this spare time since Lucas Roy and Ryu...

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
My guess is,
Since the Ballot JUST Ends Today, the 3 slots are for Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur, to be released in the mean time to tide us over while they work on the actual Winners of the Ballot.
They had to be developing Someone in all of this spare time since Lucas Roy and Ryu...
I have never considered Squirtle and Ivysaur to have any chance of return, but now when you put it this way it would actually make alot of sense. I really wonder if Sakurai would want to include so many Pokemon characters though.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My guess is,
They could have also been doing mii costumes, Tournament mode, stages and a few trophies. As much as I want to see them back, I highly doubt we're getting all three of those

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I have never considered Squirtle and Ivysaur to have any chance of return, but now when you put it this way it would actually make alot of sense. I really wonder if Sakurai would want to include so many Pokemon characters though.
Honestly, I think if "Bring back every last veteran" was one of the main agendas of Smash 4, Sakurai might as well have just said so once Roy was released. Charizard was obviously meant to be their replacement this time around, with transformations gone.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's a shame, too.

Squirtle and Ivy were fun to play as.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Well, with Greninja in the game, I don't really see much point in bringing back Squirtle, seeing as Greninja is a 'Spiritual Sucessor' of sorts. That's why I'm hoping that we get Sceptile as a spiritual sucessor to Ivysaur to complete the trio. Plus, in every game we got at least two Pokemon newcomers. In 64 we started with Pikachu and Jigglypuff, Melee we got Mewtwo and Pichu, in Brawl we got Pokemon Trainer and Lucario, and maybe by the end of Smash 4's life we'll see Greninja and Sceptile. Plus, Mewtwo was scrapped back in Brawl, so if we DID get him, we would've had seven Pokemon. So Sceptile actually isn't that far off.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Well, with Greninja in the game, I don't really see much point in bringing back Squirtle, seeing as Greninja is a 'Spiritual Sucessor' of sorts. That's why I'm hoping that we get Sceptile as a spiritual sucessor to Ivysaur to complete the trio. Plus, in every game we got at least two Pokemon newcomers. In 64 we started with Pikachu and Jigglypuff, Melee we got Mewtwo and Pichu, in Brawl we got Pokemon Trainer and Lucario, and maybe by the end of Smash 4's life we'll see Greninja and Sceptile. Plus, Mewtwo was scrapped back in Brawl, so if we DID get him, we would've had seven Pokemon. So Sceptile actually isn't that far off.
People are saying to just leave it at six. They say it's the perfect number, since it's also the amount of Pokemon you can have in a team in the canon games.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok you guys refuse to let snake go i see

Its over, Kojima left, and konami is shuting down they're AAA games

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
People are saying to just leave it at six. They say it's the perfect number, since it's also the amount of Pokemon you can have in a team in the canon games.
GG guys. Only 4 Mario characters because you can only have 4 Mario characters at once in the canon games. Saying 'muh 6' is so ****ing dumb
lolno. Greninja and Squirtle are nothing alike

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
While I'm not exactly interested in seeing any more Pokemon added to the roster at this point, that reasoning for why we shouldn't add more is entirely arbitrary and holds no substantial value.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
While I'm not exactly interested in seeing any more Pokemon added to the roster at this point, that reasoning for why we shouldn't add more is entirely arbitrary and holds no substantial value.
Not to mention that by that logic we should expect a total of 15-ish FE characters, and although I wouldn't mind, I'm certain the majority of Smash fans will

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ok you guys refuse to let snake go i see

Its over, Kojima left, and konami is shuting down they're AAA games
That's exceedingly absolute, you know.

Until we see a reveal, we're not going to know whether this holds true or not. It's just like saying "Ok you guys refuse to let king k rool go i see, its over, he's a costume". We don't know how it's going to play out, so we have to be patient.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
GG guys. Only 4 Mario characters because you can only have 4 Mario characters at once in the canon games. Saying 'muh 6' is so ****ing dumb
This.
lolno. Greninja and Squirtle are nothing alike
That's why I said 'spiritual processor'. Kinda like how Lucario ended up being a 'spiritual processor' to Mewtwo in Brawl. They share similarities, but nowhere near Semi-clones of eachother.

As for the topic on Snake... Snake is my number 4 most wanted for DLC, but I don't think he's coming back. I'd love to be proven wrong and see him come back, but there's a lot of stuff going on that clouds his chances. Still, it's nonetheless possible.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's why I said 'spiritual processor'. Kinda like how Lucario ended up being a 'spiritual processor' to Mewtwo in Brawl. They share similarities, but nowhere near Semi-clones of eachother.

As for the topic on Snake... Snake is my number 4 most wanted for DLC, but I don't think he's coming back. I'd love to be proven wrong and see him come back, but there's a lot of stuff going on that clouds his chances. Still, it's nonetheless possible.
Still no. The only similarities that Squirtle and Greninja have are the fact that they are water type starters, and they do water damage. (If water damage even exists in ssb4. If not, then they only have one similarity.) There is no way Greninja is a spiritual successor to Squirtle.

StarCrystal20

Smash Ace
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/0...s-opening-for-3-characters-and-4-stage-slots/
Hmm... only 3 spots available? Daisy STILL has a high chance of getting in. At least I think so. Here's why.

Answer this if it's true or false: Is Daisy the highest voted possible female?

I think the answer is true. The Daisy Smashboards page is way longer than both Dixie and Impa, and Daisy managed to get a lot more votes than both of them on the Etika straw poll.
PROOF: http://strawpoll.me/5619260/r

While Bayonetta is higher than Daisy on the Etika poll, the Bayonetta creator clearly tweeted multiple times that he does not want her in Smash. He said something around the lines of, "F OFF, Smash idiots" or some crap like that. So to me that automatically deconfirms Bayonetta.

And it would be a bit odd if the three upcoming DLC characters were all male. Surely they'd have to do at least 1 female. So, 2 males, and 1 female. Now, before anyone starts b-tching about what I'm saying and says, "You're sexist for wanting a girl just because she's a girl!!!" I just have to say that that is in no way sexist, because it brings more variety to the DLC and to the game itself and because the particular character has a lot of unique attributes about her, not just her gender.

So anyway, I'm thinking the DLC will be K Rool, someone (maybe Isaac, idk), and Daisy. As I said, she's the highest female on the Etika poll, not counting Bayonetta, Ice Climbers, and Inkling, since Inkling is a Mii costume. Now before people start b-tching again saying "The costume doesn't deconfirm them! They still have a chance!!" Well, here's what I have to say to that: "LOL." Sorry Inkling fans, but unlike the Link, Chrom, Samus, and other character costumes, the Inkling costumes look EXACTLY like the real Inklings and are made in their likeness. Why would they make Inklings separate characters when they already have created costumes that look exactly like them, carry the guns that real Inklings would have, and also are available for use on Mii Gunners, which, to me, has moves that are really perfect for Inkling! They look so awesome on them. The Link, Chrom, and Samus costumes look vastly different from the actual characters because of their bigger heads, shorter, stouter bodies, and overall chibi look which is different from the actual character.

As for Ice Climbers, which can be seen as a viable female DLC rep since Nana is there, I don't think they have a chance since Sakurai once explained exactly why they were not included into Smash 4, the reason being graphical limitations and that there are 2 of them which would cause glitches and lag or something like that.

And now a breakdown of reasons why I think Daisy will make it in:
*Highest voted possible female with my reasons.
*Not a third party (Not saying third parties have no chance, but the fact that she's not makes her an easy choice to be DLC)
*Easily recognized character by many people, especially casuals (Example: I asked my friend if he has the new Smash Bros. and said he should get it since Princess Rosalina is in it. Him: Oh! Is she that brunette princess who wears yellow? Me: No that's Daisy. I'm talking about the blue princes. Him: Oh. Never heard of her haha"
*She is a character from the biggest, main franchise in Smash: MARIO.

Additionally, Daisy in her dress looks WAY too similar to Peach in her Daisy color costume. They may look different facially and from little things like their gloves and hair, but from far away it may be a challenge to make them out. For this reason, I expect Sakurai to put Daisy in either her sports outfit or her Striker armor (two very prominent outfits of hers) to differentiate her from Peach. And don't say "OH Sakurai would have to do her dress only, it's her main outfit!!" Well um first of all Wario appears in his biker outfit as his main costume, with his overalls as an alt. Daisy appears in a majority of her games in her sports outfit wayy more than she does in her princess dress. There are more games with her in the sports clothes than there are with her in the dress. It's her more frequently worn outfit. I found this out on MarioWiki. With that reason I don't see a problem with Sakurai putting Daisy in her sports clothes in Smash.

So yeah, those are my reasons on why Daisy, WILL be DLC.

What do you think of my theories? Believable or untrue? You decide.

EDIT: omggg I soo forgot about Shantae.. Obviously she's being voted wayyy higher than Daisy, but the fact that she's third party character and also from an indie game makes her kind of an iffy choice.... so I don't know. I guess Daisy is the second highest possible female then.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Anti-Snake logic applied to other popular characters:
"K. Rool and Inkling have a costume, just like deconfirmed characters Chrom and Heihachi. It's over."
"Shantae is an obscure indie character with cult popularity at best. She never had a chance."
We generally reject these arguments for these characters, and their supporters can give you (imo, good) reasons as to why we should disregard these obstacles. Let's give Snake the same benefit.

There's no need to be rude about other characters' chances (and portraying the situation inaccurately at that). We've been debating Snake over and over in this thread. There are no new points to be made. Both the pro and anti sides have laid their arguments down.

Since people are finally bringing up Squirtle and Ivysaur, I'd like to state I totally support their return. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a strong fandom voting for them or anything... They'd be a disappointment to most if they were revealed now as pre-ballot. Compare this to anticipated vets Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas. Plus the accusations of too much Pokemon (the 6 mons for a team argument is nothing more than an aesthetic nicety and should not prevent more Pokemon from appearing). I'm especially fond of Ivysaur for being a quadruped, much like Duck Hunt, but I don't really see them coming back for Smash 4. People just didn't care enough. :/ (although if Sakurai wants to put Wolf, Snake, and Ivysaur in as pre-ballot, I'd be happy to be wrong in that case :troll:)

EDITed to make clear that I do not think K. Rool/Inkling/Shantae are goners.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/0...s-opening-for-3-characters-and-4-stage-slots/
Hmm... only 3 spots available? Daisy STILL has a high chance of getting in. At least I think so. Here's why.

Answer this if it's true or false: Is Daisy the highest voted possible female?

I think the answer is true. The Daisy Smashboards page is way longer than both Dixie and Impa, and Daisy managed to get a lot more votes than both of them on the Etika straw poll.
PROOF: http://strawpoll.me/5619260/r

While Bayonetta is higher than Daisy on the Etika poll, the Bayonetta creator clearly tweeted multiple times that he does not want her in Smash. He said something around the lines of, "F OFF, Smash idiots" or some crap like that. So to me that automatically deconfirms Bayonetta.

And it would be a bit odd if the three upcoming DLC characters were all male. Surely they'd have to do at least 1 female. So, 2 males, and 1 female. Now, before anyone starts b-tching about what I'm saying and says, "You're sexist for wanting a girl just because she's a girl!!!" I just have to say that that is in no way sexist, because it brings more variety to the DLC and to the game itself and because the particular character has a lot of unique attributes about her, not just her gender.

So anyway, I'm thinking the DLC will be K Rool, someone (maybe Isaac, idk), and Daisy. As I said, she's the highest female on the Etika poll, not counting Bayonetta, Ice Climbers, and Inkling, since Inkling is a Mii costume. Now before people start b-tching again saying "The costume doesn't deconfirm them! They still have a chance!!" Well, here's what I have to say to that: "LOL." Sorry Inkling fans, but unlike the Link, Chrom, Samus, and other character costumes, the Inkling costumes look EXACTLY like the real Inklings and are made in their likeness. Why would they make Inklings separate characters when they already have created costumes that look exactly like them, carry the guns that real Inklings would have, and also are available for use on Mii Gunners, which, to me, has moves that are really perfect for Inkling! They look so awesome on them. The Link, Chrom, and Samus costumes look vastly different from the actual characters because of their bigger heads, shorter, stouter bodies, and overall chibi look which is different from the actual character.

As for Ice Climbers, which can be seen as a viable female DLC rep since Nana is there, I don't think they have a chance since Sakurai once explained exactly why they were not included into Smash 4, the reason being graphical limitations and that there are 2 of them which would cause glitches and lag or something like that.

And now a breakdown of reasons why I think Daisy will make it in:
*Highest voted possible female with my reasons.
*Not a third party (Not saying third parties have no chance, but the fact that she's not makes her an easy choice to be DLC)
*Easily recognized character by many people, especially casuals (Example: I asked my friend if he has the new Smash Bros. and said he should get it since Princess Rosalina is in it. Him: Oh! Is she that brunette princess who wears yellow? Me: No that's Daisy. I'm talking about the blue princes. Him: Oh. Never heard of her haha"
*She is a character from the biggest, main franchise in Smash: MARIO.

Additionally, Daisy in her dress looks WAY too similar to Peach in her Daisy color costume. They may look different facially and from little things like their gloves and hair, but from far away it may be a challenge to make them out. For this reason, I expect Sakurai to put Daisy in either her sports outfit or her Striker armor (two very prominent outfits of hers) to differentiate her from Peach. And don't say "OH Sakurai would have to do her dress only, it's her main outfit!!" Well um first of all Wario appears in his biker outfit as his main costume, with his overalls as an alt. Daisy appears in a majority of her games in her sports outfit wayy more than she does in her princess dress. There are more games with her in the sports clothes than there are with her in the dress. It's her more frequently worn outfit. I found this out on MarioWiki. With that reason I don't see a problem with Sakurai putting Daisy in her sports clothes in Smash.

So yeah, those are my reasons on why Daisy, WILL be DLC.

What do you think of my theories? Believable or untrue? You decide.

EDIT: omggg I soo forgot about Shantae.. Obviously she's being voted wayyy higher than Daisy, but the fact that she's third party character and also from an indie game makes her kind of an iffy choice.... so I don't know. I guess Daisy is the second highest possible female then.
I can't help but feel that Daisy would already be in if Sakurai cared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom