• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This is who i did atleast 1 or more votes for

1. King k rool
  2. Wolf
  3. Isaac
  4. Shovel knight
  5. Wonder-red
  6. Bandana dee
  7. Ridley
  8. Captain toad

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
1) It's sad that voting for Nintendo got me to pull out my Vita when Sony's gaming lineup hasn't made me do it in the past 6 months.

2) Part of me wants K. Rool to happen in hope that the community will then shift in Ganon support.

Wasn't asking you, but.
He doesn't represent Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time, which I why I want him.
No, but a list of items, assist trophy, and virtue of.. well :4link::4ganondorf: and especially :4zelda::4sheik:kinda take a fair bit from Ocarina itself and support most of what was brought in for Majora's Mask.

Edit: The word "represent" makes me flinch now due to this community.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, but a list of items, assist trophy, and virtue of.. well :4link::4ganondorf: and especially :4zelda::4sheik:kinda take a fair bit from Ocarina itself and support most of what was brought in for Majora's Mask.

Edit: The word "represent" makes me flinch now due to this community.
Well, I'm sorry. Would you rather I have said "Toon Link doesn't take his design and weapons from Majora's Mask"?

Morbi

Scavenger
We already have 2 pretty boys in green skirts with the same moveset though
I suppose it depends on your definition of "same." Regardless, we already have three anime swords(wo)men with the "same" move-set though. So, in my professional opinion, Link deserves a third move-set that is slightly different.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I suppose it depends on your definition of "same." Regardless, we already have three anime swords(wo)men with the "same" move-set though. So, in my professional opinion, Link deserves a third move-set that is slightly different.
Here's the difference though. The 3 FE characters you mentioned are 3 different characters with different names, origins, personalities, goals, etc. 3 Links would be just that, 3 of the same character with the same personality, goal and everything

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Forgive me, it's been a LONG time since I've played Melee. So could you please tell me what about Young Link's moveset was slightly different?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Forgive me, it's been a LONG time since I've played Melee. So could you please tell me what about Young Link's moveset was slightly different?
His jab was different because it was an infinite stab.
His arrows had a fire property to them.
Y. Link had a wall jump.
That's all I know.

Asking for Y.Link is asking for Lucina, not Roy, in the parallel. Who is one of the two veterans not planned to return in Brawl, has little demand even in Japan where veterans are top priority, and was effectively replaced with Toon

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Here's the difference though. The 3 FE characters you mentioned are 3 different characters with different names, origins, personalities, goals, etc. 3 Links would be just that, 3 of the same character with the same personality, goal and everything
Okay, but why are their personalities or goals relevant in a Nintendo all-star fighting game? This is not some sort of narrative driven adventure game; however, Toon Link and Link DO have different personalities. Just pointing that out because you do not seem to be aware. We always have the possibility of a returning veteran (Young Link or Pichu) if Sakurai has additional time to develop characters. In which case, I doubt he cares about Young Link's goals.

And why is three so much worse than two? We already have two Links and Marios, is the third one going to disrupt the balance of the force?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
- He is lighter and faster than Link
- Wall jump
- Uses Fire Arrows
- He could be close to the same speed as Toon Link but have a different playstyle because of Link's moves

Actually, technically, no, all three of these Links are different people from different time periods and origins.
They've even interacted with each other.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay, but why are their personalities or goals relevant in a Nintendo all-star fighting game? This is not some sort of narrative driven adventure game; however, Toon Link and Link DO have different personalities. Just pointing that out because you do not seem to be aware. We always have the possibility of a returning veteran (Young Link or Pichu) if Sakurai has additional time to develop characters. In which case, I doubt he cares about Young Link's goals.

And why is three so much worse than two? We already have two Links and Marios, is the third one going to disrupt the balance of the force?
Point is, the three FE characters are at least different characters rather than 3 versions of the same character. What's more appealing? Having the option to play as multiple different characters or multiple versions of the same character? Keep in mind, the Zelda characters as of now are already divided as 2 Links, 2 Zeldas and 1 Dorf

Morbi

Scavenger
- He is lighter and faster than Link and has a wall jump
- Use Fire Arrows
- He could be close to the same speed as Toon Link but have a different playstyle because of Link's moves

Actually, technically, no, all three of these Links are different people from different time periods and origins.
In addition to that, I believe that Young Link would also fall faster on par with his Melee incarnation. Toon Link is extremely floaty and Young Link's differences would be more observable because Toon Link is slightly changed. I expect that Young Link would have his n-air and b-air to return to their former glory. They should probably give Young Link the new dash attack that Link currently has to keep him more consistent with Adult Link, rather than Toon Link.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Ridley
Issac
K.Rool
Savvy Stylist
Impa
and Miss Madeline from Magical Starsign

MainJPW

M.T.A
Here are my votes.
  • King K. Rool (several)
  • Isaac (several)
  • Dixie Kong (several)
  • Tetra
  • Rayman
  • Lip
  • Simon Belmont (Darn it, Konami..)
  • Waluigi
  • CaptainToad
  • Snake
  • Paper Mario
  • Takamaru
  • Daisy
  • Wolf
  • Tails
I wasn't going to vote Wolf as I thought he was a shoe-in but alas...I panicked, the new slot gives me closure however.

As for Tails..I know I'm gonna get slammed for this but...I snuck in one last vote for him because I really could care less what anyone thinks, I'd main him over Sonic due to better moveset potential. I won't mind if we see him in a future Smash title, it's not like SEGA's using him atm anyway.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Point is, the three FE characters are at least different characters rather than 3 versions of the same character. What's more appealing? Having the option to play as multiple different characters or multiple versions of the same character? Keep in mind, the Zelda characters as of now are already divided as 2 Links, 2 Zeldas and 1 Dorf
They are different characters from my perspective. I interpret "Link" as some weird hybrid between Twilight Princess Link and Skyward Sword Link. I refer to Toon Link as "The Wind Waker" and Young Link as "The Hero of Time" when I am not on Smashboards.

So, while I agree it is more appealing to play as multiple characters, I do not agree that each Link is merely a "different version." You keep on switching between in-game canon and the actual Smash roster at your convenience.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I voted for Dark Matter, wish Nintendo allowed multi votes, if they did I'd also vote Bandana Dee and Jirachi, but sadly they don't so I just stuck to one :p.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad

Going by that logic, I'll happily take Tetra. :)
Definitely on point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
They are different characters from my perspective. I interpret "Link" as some weird hybrid between Twilight Princess Link and Skyward Sword Link. I refer to Toon Link as "The Wind Waker" and Young Link as "The Hero of Time" when I am not on Smashboards.

So, while I agree it is more appealing to play as multiple characters, I do not agree that each Link is merely a "different version." You keep on switching between in-game canon and the actual Smash roster at your convenience.
But you'd have Link with the same name and movesetX3. With the FE cast they are at least different characters. When has a Link ever had a different personality?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My ballot votes:

Wonder Red
Tiki
Anna
K. Rool

I voted for each just once and deliberately kept K. Rool as my final vote, just in case it overrides the prior votes. K. Rool is the character I really want.

Morbi

Scavenger
But you'd have Link with the same name and movesetX3. With the FE cast they are at least different characters. When has a Link ever had a different personality?
No you would not. One is named Link, the other is named Toon Link, and the last one is named Young Link. If we are talking about Smash. Which I assume we are, because you begin to allude to the move-set. Just as a disclaimer, I believe that the move-set is WAY more important than which character holds the move-set. Secondly, their move-sets would not be the same. Just similar. You can try denying it until you are blue in the face, but you can alter fiction to fact.

When it comes down to it, we already have two. I merely believe that Young Link might be possible if Sakurai has extra time, the other choice is Pichu which is honestly more likely in the first place. I have no idea why you seem so concerned that this might actually happen. A possibility is a possibility, but still. I would not sweat it, buddy.

Toon Link is some weird chibi-kawaii-desu-ka character, whereas Link is really bland and non-expressive.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No you would not. One is named Link, the other is named Toon Link, and the last one is named Young Link. If we are talking about Smash. Which I assume we are, because you begin to allude to the move-set. Just as a disclaimer, I believe that the move-set is WAY more important than which character holds the move-set. Secondly, their move-sets would not be the same. Just similar. You can try denying it until you are blue in the face, but you can alter fiction to fact.

When it comes down to it, we already have two. I merely believe that Young Link might be possible if Sakurai has extra time, the other choice is Pichu which is honestly more likely in the first place. I have no idea why you seem so concerned that this might actually happen. A possibility is a possibility, but still. I would not sweat it, buddy.

Toon Link is some weird chibi-kawaii-desu-ka character, whereas Link is really bland and non-expressive.
You don't seem to get it. Having 3 characters named Link who look like eachother and have the same moves as eachother isn't really a good idea when you have different characters as options. Besides, if Lucina had more time put into her, I wouldn't be surprised if she played like Roy. Tink already toom what Yink did and Sakurai hates changing veterans, meaning Yink would be obsolete

MainJPW

M.T.A
My ballot votes:

Wonder Red
Tiki
Anna
K. Rool

I voted for each just once and deliberately kept K. Rool as my final vote, just in case it overrides the prior votes. K. Rool is the character I really want.
Here's what I did to make myself certain the votes didn't override just in case: I voted with a different IP address each time; I used friends' computers and I even went to my local library.

The ballot was serious business lol.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You don't seem to get it. Having 3 characters named Link who look like eachother and have the same moves as eachother isn't really a good idea when you have different characters as options. Besides, if Lucina had more time put into her, I wouldn't be surprised if she played like Roy. Tink already toom what Yink did and Sakurai hates changing veterans, meaning Yink would be obsolete
I did not state that having three characters named Link is a good idea, per se. If Sakurai hates changing veterans, why do we have Roy, the other Melee veteran that was changed to accommodate for the notion that there was a third version of the same move-set? He could easily do it again, I believe that is blatantly apparent.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I did not state that having three characters named Link is a good idea, per se. If Sakurai hates changing veterans, why do we have Roy, the other Melee veteran that was changed to accommodate for the notion that there was a third version of the same move-set? He could easily do it again, I believe that is blatantly apparent.
Marth had his playstyle changed in 4. Roy was kepy similar to Melee. My biggest problem with Yink is this. WHY? Why put him in? Saying 'He'd please the fans' isn't a good excuse as that applies to every character

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Guys, I didn't mean to start another YLink discussion lol. I was just pointing out that I voted for YLink not to get him in as DLC (becasue everyone knows it's not going to happen) but rather to attempt to persuade whoever's reading the ballot to put YLink in Smash 5, revamped with his MM masks along with his old Melee moveset.

Let's just not go down this road again. That was never my intent when I made my post.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'm hoping that we get at least one female DLC character, particularly from a recent first party series that doesn't already have characters on the roster. The character I'm thinking about comes from the DS era, which lacks representation on the roster. Her game franchise is not only popular and has sold well, but the games are actually fun, if you've ever played them. Despite all of this, the character is highly underrated, and the fans supporting her for Smash aren't nearly as vocal as other groups. Which series am I talking about? Style Savvy. The moveset potential and randomness factor is simply too glorious and unique to pass down.
I find the idea of a savvy stylist character pretty intriguing, especially now that I've been playing Trendsetters. I don't think I'd be able to come up with a moveset for her, but I'd be interested to see what Sakurai and co. could do.

I definitely agree with you about that first bit. I really hope we get at least one female DLC fighter. It's been a while since we got our last new female fighter announced and I feel like there are a lot of good characters to choose from (Dixie, Daisy, Tetra, Krystal, Arle Nadja, Micaiah, savvy stylist etc.).

On that note, I wonder what Nintendo will do with the age and gender info they get from the ballot votes. Do you think it will have any impact on which characters they pick?

Last edited:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I voted for Dixie Kong and King Hippo

King Hippo I did from mobile on a whim and wish I had voted for someone else tbh.

Morbi

Scavenger
Marth had his playstyle changed in 4. Roy was kepy similar to Melee. My biggest problem with Yink is this. WHY? Why put him in? Saying 'He'd please the fans' isn't a good excuse as that applies to every character
Again, I believe that the reason why might be quite simple. Just because he can. If Sakurai has extra development time for a character, no one would be easier than Young Link... probably. I am not a programmer. But I cannot imagine that he would be even remotely difficult for the reasons that you do not believe that he is a good idea.

Though, that being said, he would certainly please me as a fan.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Again, I believe that the reason why might be quite simple. Just because he can. If Sakurai has extra development time for a character, no one would be easier than Young Link... probably. I am not a programmer. But I cannot imagine that he would be even remotely difficult for the reasons that you do not believe that he is a good idea.

Though, that being said, he would certainly please me as a fan.
Sakurai said fanservice, and only a handful of smash fans want Yink back. Not to mention Wolf's arguably the easiest to get in the game. Step 1: Port data. Step 2: Give him make-up so he looks pretty in HD. Step 3: Play test. Boom

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai said fanservice, and only a handful of smash fans want Yink back. Not to mention Wolf's arguably the easiest to get in the game. Step 1: Port data. Step 2: Give him make-up so he looks pretty in HD. Step 3: Play test. Boom
As you stated before, fan-service applies to literally any and all characters. So that is certainly not going to be Young Link's crux.

Of course, I meant as a last minute addition, after all of the other ballot characters are finished (so I assumed Wolf would already be in the game before Young Link/Pichu are even considered).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom