• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, I saw that one, but from the translation of the Japanese forums, I got the impression that it wasn't until K. Rool became a thing in the US that he was requested in Japan. I just don't know if he has widespread support among Japanese consumers, or if it's just among the Smash community due to there being some good ideas for movesets, as well as demand for another heavyweight rep and whatnot. I can't be bothered to look through the whole thing again at the moment, so again, do correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, here is the link: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

I just don't see any hype for him at all around these parts.
Most of my friends here in Ireland support K. Rool.

It helps that he was created by a UK company.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The problem is that some characters are probably going to be eaten by the impending drought monster...by that I mean, "hasn't had an appearance in a long time". That will be deadly for some. Krystal comes to mind, especially if she gets retconned from Star Fox. Isaac could get eaten as well.

The problem isn't the amount of characters available as much as it is the quality of characters available.

Some cool ideas for future Smash newcomers include Tom Nook, Isabelle, E.Gadd, Inklings, Wonder Red, Captain Toad...It's when you take every fan rule and apply it that makes things look bleak. If you let your imagination run wild, you'll come up with some cool ideas!

Wonder Red would be an amazing character because of the several abilities in W101, but the fact that nobody believes in him because the game bombed screws him over. Inklings also have a plethora of content for a trap/stage control moveset, and they are much better off as a healthy series.

E.Gadd is an off the wall choice, but using a custom Poltergust with elemental powers, he'd have a unique moveset for sure. Tom Nook has his sacks of bells and furniture...Isabelle...there's got to be something she could do to be different.

Captain Toad could stun players with his searchlight similar to Mewtwo's Disable, could use a minecart similar to Jr.'s side B, and he could use the pickaxe in his moveset somehow as well.

Chibi-Robo is another. With the new abilities he is getting in Zip-Lash, he'd probably have a fun moveset for sure. He'd easily have a tether recovery, could shock people with the plug.

This is just scratching the surface, and each is one that really isn't often talked about aside from Captain Toad and Inklings. That's...5, aside from a new FE character, new Pokemon character, DK characters, or 3rd parties.

YOU THOUGHT I WAS DONE?! Well, I mean, I did too. Until I came up with more ideas.

Bandanna Dee has different abilities with his spear. Recovery could be like a helicopter, lotsa stabbing, etc...

Isaac is Isaac. Psynergy and Djinni. My only fear is that he'll be eaten alive by the drought monster.

Add Snake back for his moveset and notoriety, then you could always add Rayman as another notable 3rd party. Long range physical attacks with his floating body parts. Could be fun. Play Rayman Legends if you need more inspiration.

So now we're at what, 9? Add the usual Pokemon and FE character to get us to 11. Add K.Rool or Dixie if they aren't added yet, maybe Wolf, and you've got 15.
---------------------
Interesting topic change here...but let's talk hypothetical. Now, it's been confirmed that current in-game content doesn't change chances for anybody, but...what if it did?

So for example, because of their costumes, K.Rool and Inklings are doneskies. That would eliminate two leaders from the running, likely making our Top 5: Wolf, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Snake and someone else in the mix. Isaac maybe?

What happens then?

Last edited:

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
Most of my friends here in Ireland support K. Rool.

It helps that he was created by a UK company.
Hah, that makes sense, I suppose. It might be that I'm just running with a really bad crowd then, or that Norway is a strange land with no sun. Anyway, I haven't looked to much into it, but it would be interesting to see who are the most requested characters in different European countries. Too bad the ballot probably won't yield any publicly obtainable data on votes by location!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's fun to make movesets and I enjoy it very much, but most of them get ignored and not lots of deep feedback is given from a numerous amount of people to encourage more moveset creation.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll take a Ridley Costume because I'm desperate for something in-character with him at this point

I don't know about that one. Chances are that Sakurai would think a Ridley costume goes against his character with the massive size or strange proportions when resized. :troll:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

I don't know about that one. Chances are that Sakurai would think a Ridley costume goes against his character with the massive size or strange proportions when resized. :troll:

It almost sounds like a joke....
Almost

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

It almost sounds like a joke....
Almost
Bummer, I wasn't really trying to let you down since we are fellow Space Pirates after all. And if they gave us an outfit for Lord Crumb (R.I.P. Soul Blazer) of all character, then who says that we can't have a scale suit of the purple badass.

At least on the bright side, I was able to show off an impressive 16-bit costume of him during that last post. :p

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Bummer, I wasn't really trying to let you down since we are fellow Space Pirates after all. And if they gave us an outfit for Lord Crumb (R.I.P. Soul Blazer) of all character, then who says that we can't have a scale suit of the purple badass.

At least on the bright side, I was able to show off an impressive 8-bit costume of him during that last post. :p
>Super Metroid Ridley Costume
>8-bit
>SNES game
>8-BIT?!

This is 8-bit Ridley.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People can act like they'd be outraged if the Reckless Wiimote Safety Man made it into Smash, but let's not kid ourselves. If it actually happened, everyone would start talking about how genius and funny a choice he was, how unique his moveset is and how he is the 'main character' of so many best-selling Wii game PSAs that all casuals know and love over [insert better character here] therefore he deserved to be added.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
>Super Metroid Ridley Costume
>8-bit
>SNES game
>8-BIT?!

This is 8-bit Ridley.
Big mistake on my part, made sure to fix it already. I'm pretty fatigued for the day after getting dominated by enough extremely fresh squid kids in Camp Triggerfish.

Burruni

Smash Hero
People can act like they'd be outraged if the Reckless Wiimote Safety Man made it into Smash, but let's not kid ourselves. If it actually happened, everyone would start talking about how genius and funny a choice he was, how unique his moveset is and how he is the 'main character' of so many best-selling Wii game PSAs that all casuals know and love over [insert better character here] therefore he deserved to be added.
No.
Because he's been a running joke of the Smash community for being a bad choice.
It wouldn't be another :4wiifit: situation.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Forget Reckless Wiimote Saftety Man, there's only one character that would superior to him and appeal to the Miiverse crowd easily. He's bigger, faster, and stronger too. And he's the first member of the Rarebare crew! BB, Brash the Bear! BB, Brash the Bear is here!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
No.
Because he's been a running joke of the Smash community for being a bad choice.
It wouldn't be another :4wiifit: situation.
The one time anyone thought up WFT on GameFAQs, she was pitched as a bad choice as well, and more people would've done the same if they even bothered to remember the character at all.

Make no mistake about it, people would love Reckless Wiimote Safety Man, maybe even more than WFT. Imagine, he throws the Wiimote and then makes some apologetic shrug animation if it hits someone...people would think it's literally the funniest thing on the planet and that it makes him "full of personality."

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Depressingly true. As a supporter for Pac-Man and Roy way back when, I remember the sheer amount of detractors both characters recieved and to a lesser extent the Duck Hunt Dog got(no one thought him a credible idea). Suddenly the detractors become supporters the moment the character gets in.

For every ten haters of Shovel Knight at the moment, should he get in nine of those would perform such a fast heel turn it's surprising they don't get whiplash.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Glad to help BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 ! :) If you'd like some critique on movesets -- and enjoy making them -- I'd recommend checking out Make Your Move. It's a fantasy moveset design contest, where we make movesets, critique them, vote on them, et cetera. It's been a bit quiet as of late, but it should pick back up soon enough. Oh, and of course I'm glad to share my thoughts on sets outside of the contest too.

On topic, my most wanted DLC fighters are the Inkling, Captain Toad, and the Ice Climbers. Here's a moveset for the Inkling I made over at that Make Your Move thing; they have a ton of cool potential. I honestly think that they're the best DLC choice, being a fresh new IP, pretty popular, fitting in beautifully, et cetera.

I think Reckless Wiimote Guy would be better as an assist trophy or something, by the way. Just not enough prominence, gameplay potential, et cetera.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
To be perfectly honest, and I might get a ton of hate for this, but I would prefer him over Isaac, Dee, Inkling, or Shovel Knight.

Mainly because I have a better connection with him.

>_>
<_<
I actually supported WFT way back before smash was announced because i thought she made sense as a "peripheral rep" like game and watch and ROB were since the games sold so well.

Im one of a very small amount of people avle to say WFT didnt surprise me at all.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The funny thing is that Wii Fit Trainer ticks off most of the (fan-made or otherwise) "criteria" for a newcomer:

- Is the character a first-party Nintendo character? Yes, yes s/he is.

- Is the character prominent in their own series? Next to the Balance Board, s/he is the closest thing the series has to a main character or mascot.

- Is the character's game successful? Wii Fit is pretty much the reason why the Wii did so well, selling over 22 million copies and making it to 6 on the table of highest-selling Wii games.

- Is the character relevant to Nintendo's history? Considering s/he is the embodiment of the Wii's "casual crowd" initiative, yeah, s/he's pretty important to Nintendo's recent history.

- Is the character recent in Nintendo's history? Wii Fit was released in 2008, with a sequel, Wii Fit Plus, following a year later.

- Is the character unique compared to other characters in the roster? I don't remember anybody else fighting with yoga poses, wide-ranged disjoints, a projectile that heals or a temporary stat boost based on reactive timing.

The only thing s/he doesn't tick off is fan demand. Everything else is right there. I don't think Wii Fit Trainer is a bad choice, to be honest. I think s/he's pretty damn creative, which is what I love to see in Smash!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
>_>
<_<
I actually supported WFT way back before smash was announced because i thought she made sense as a "peripheral rep" like game and watch and ROB were since the games sold so well.

Im one of a cery small amount of people avle to say WFT didnt surprise me at all.
I was actually close to making a Wii Fit Trainer thread in the past, but didn't make it in fear of being called a troll for supporting an impossible character. Many aspects of her moveset were even ideas I've came up with before the reveal (except she sadly lacks moves that reference more balance games than just Hoola Hoop and Soccer Heading).

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Before it inevitably comes up, just wanna say:

I don't think that means Wii Fit Trainer is the "right" choice or that she somehow has more merit than other potential characters. I just think it's good to take a step back and consider her credentials, rather than just dismissing her as a joke character and nothing more.

Really, the only thing that sets her apart from R.O.B. is that R.O.B. has a design that fits more immediately into a fighting game (even though everything but the gyro and spinny-spin is made up for Smash) and he has historical prominence (since he's existed since the 80s and has had, even playable, cameos in other games). Even so, he got significant backlash when he was discovered in Brawl; people have cooled down to him since then, which I don't doubt will happen to Wii Fit by the time New Smash is confirmed.

My problem with WFT is how she's pretty much garbage unless you were blessed by the god known as Mashpotato Samurai and aren't total **** with her
John Numbers and TKBreezy want a word with you.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Yeah, remember back when :4wiifit:got revealed you were either confused, angry, or just ended up laughing about the whole idea and was pleased with the creativity of the character. I was on the laughing and pleased side when she first got revealed. Ah such good times.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The only thing s/he doesn't tick off is fan demand.
But she DOES have fans. They just aren't as vocal as a Waddle Dee or Isaac supporter. Something some people don't realize it seems.

Sakurai had the causal fans in mind on that selection, and while my Mom thinks WFT is the dumbest choice out there, I'm sure the other folk who actual used Wii Fit, thought it was pretty neat.

Don't be surprised if Sakurai has Casuals in mind with some other choices.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
AKA
If you learn how her wonky hitboxes work, you're golden.
Because you're in the 2% of Smash players that do.
Honestly, she needs another Ike-y patch buff imo
John Numbers and TKBreezy want a word with you.
I said 'unless' tho

I doubt any character would be more WTF than WFT in terms of surprise, especially as DLC

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
But she DOES have fans. They just aren't as vocal as a Waddle Dee or Isaac supporter. Something some people don't realize it seems.

Sakurai had the causal fans in mind on that selection, and while my Mom thinks WFT is the dumbest choice out there, I'm sure the other folk who actual used Wii Fit, thought it was pretty neat.

I mean she didn't have fans vocally supporting her.

Casuals don't really campaign for character choices.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

WFT was chosen because 'nobody asked iirc

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There's a difference between "nobody wanted her" and "nobody asked for her".

I'm sure quite a few people were happy to see her and maybe even supported her, but I don't think Sakurai received swathes of emails requesting "the trainer from Wii Fit".

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Wii Fit Trainer, if perhaps unexpected, feels right for all the reasons Wintropy Wintropy said.

Reckless Wiimote Guy would be a different story. It'd feel like a neat comical addition, but that's it. He'd feel as right as Non Specific Action Figure.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Wreckless Safety Man, hmm... interesting joke character.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Reckless Wiimote Safety Man is a gag concept. Its entire existence is based on the fact that it's so absurd, it's hysterical.

I don't know if it defeats or embellishes the intention that people really support him.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Here is my tier list of ranking the probabilities of getting in Smash:

S:
K Rool / Inkling / Wolf / Isaac

A:
Krystal / Bandana Dee / Rayman / Ice Climbers / Shovel Knight / Dixie Kong / Chibi Robo

B:

Shantae / Snake / Bomberman / Banjo & Kazooie / Impa / Paper Mario / Simon Belmont / Bayonetta / Custom Robo / Phoenix Wright / Professor Layton

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Reckless Wiimote Safety Man is a gag concept. Its entire existence is based on the fact that it's so absurd, it's hysterical.

I don't know if it defeats or embellishes the intention that people really support him.
(looks up definition of embellish on Google)

For me, it embellishes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom