• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
"It's Smash, of course he's going to sell well."
It's really not a valid reason to add a third party if this is all you're relying on. A character should have merits on their own, not because "Smash is a perfect way to sell things".

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's what I thought when I first heard about the Shovel Knight rumor, someone then came out and said to me, "It's Smash, of course he's going to sell well."
Well, that's a terrible excuse. Just saying a character will sell well by virtue of being Smash DLC is essentially saying they can make whatever character they want, disregarding what fans actually want, and it'll still sell. It's a pretty poor argument to fall back on when justifying a character's inclusion.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well, that's a terrible excuse. Just saying a character will sell well by virtue of being Smash DLC is essentially saying they can make whatever character they want, disregarding what fans actually want, and it'll still sell. It's a pretty poor argument to fall back on when justifying a character's inclusion.
Well wait, that wasn't what he said, here let me find out what it was, I'll be a minute. Considering how poor it was I'll just have to see what it was.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

I'd rather not be reminded....
I'M SORRY, DUSTERS.
HE WAS JUST ONE OF THE MOST NOTEWORTHY EXAMPLES.

Also, I don't consider Snake a case of Sakurai "Going back on his word," for one major reason.
Kojima approached Sakurai about Snake in Smash back in Melee, but it was too late for things to worked on, especially with the tight schedule Melee was already on.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, I found it, "Considering how popular of a game Smash is, putting Shovel Knight in the game could help boost sales of his game in other regions of the world, while also introducing it to new audiences, particularly Japan."

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Okay, I found it, "Considering how popular of a game Smash is, putting Shovel Knight in the game could help boost sales of his game in other regions of the world, while also introducing it to new audiences, particularly Japan."
From what we can tell, Smash doesn't add characters for the sake of publicity. Of course it would be good for Shovel Knight's exposure, but that can apply to pretty much any character and isn't the purpose of DLC.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The only reason we are fixated on third parties right now is because of the whole Shovel Knight fiasco.

The instant the whole thing blows over, first parties will return to the spotlight since there's no really noteworthy third parties to talk of outside of Snake and Rayman.

Burruni

Smash Hero
That's saying that putting him in Smash would raise interest in Shovel Knight, the game, in other countries.
Not that Shovel Knight intrinsically is a blockbuster fighter.
People get into Smash because they're cult classes, major successes,.... or just a special kinda quirky bit of Nintendo's history that Sakurai had fondness over.
Not the other way around.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Why do people think we're at the bottom of the barrel? Not all the big important characters have big fanbases, out of first parties that are important but don't have much support I can name Ganon, Dark Matter, Magolor, Pigma, Cranky Kong, Tingle, Wart, Vaati, Fawful, Birdo, Mew, Meowth, and Tom Nook all off the top of my head, and I assure you there's plenty more than that. Only thing I'm worried about in the future is cuts, but I'm assuming by that time technology would have advanced enough that wouldn't be a problem.
Edit: Mispelled Cranky Kong as Kranky Kong. Ironically, it kinda sounds like something K. Rool would do :laugh:.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Still poor reasoning. This can be said about any game represented in Smash...even still Fire Emblem was 'this' close to being a dead franchise until recently despite being apart of Smash since Melee...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The only reason we are fixated on third parties right now is because of the whole Shovel Knight fiasco.

The instant the whole thing blows over, first parties will return to the spotlight since there's no really noteworthy third parties to talk of outside of Snake and Rayman.
.....Bomberman!?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Why do people think we're at the bottom of the barrel? Not all the big important characters have big fanbases, out of first parties that are important but don't have much support I can name Ganon, Dark Matter, Magolor, Pigma, Kranky Kong, Tingle, Wart, Vaati, Fawful, Birdo, Mew, Meowth, and Tom Nook all off the top of my head, and I assure you there's plenty more than that. Only thing I'm worried about in the future is cuts, but I'm assuming by that time technology would have advanced enough that wouldn't be a problem.
Granted.... some of those are C to D list choices.

But the fact is there are plenty of good 1st Party choices. Not a lot of A-Ranks BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN TAKEN ALREADY, but a fair number of B's such as K. Rool, Inklings, Ganon, etc., then you get some sizable named C-lists like Isaac, Bandana Dee, FINALLY AN ADVANCE WARS FIGHTER, etc.

.....Bomberman!?

This one, right?

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
From what we can tell, Smash doesn't add characters for the sake of publicity. Of course it would be good for Shovel Knight's exposure, but that can apply to pretty much any character and isn't the purpose of DLC.
That's saying that putting him in Smash would raise interest in Shovel Knight, the game, in other countries.
Not that Shovel Knight intrinsically is a blockbuster fighter.
People get into Smash because they're cult classes, major successes,.... or just a special kinda quirky bit of Nintendo's history that Sakurai had fondness over.
Not the other way around.
Still poor reasoning. This can be said about any game represented in Smash...even still Fire Emblem was 'this' close to being a dead franchise until recently despite being apart of Smash since Melee...
Still, they'd be included out of popularity, and it would be an example of Nintendo colaborating with other developers. And also, that's true, but then again, it wasn't decided from the fans. Or should I say, suggested.

Why do people think we're at the bottom of the barrel? Not all the big important characters have big fanbases, out of first parties that are important but don't have much support I can name Ganon, Dark Matter, Magolor, Pigma, Kranky Kong, Tingle, Wart, Vaati, Fawful, Birdo, Mew, Meowth, and Tom Nook all off the top of my head, and I assure you there's plenty more than that. Only thing I'm worried about in the future is cuts, but I'm assuming by that time technology would have advanced enough that wouldn't be a problem.
>important
>pigma
>wart
>Birdo
could argue a few of those other ones aren't important either. . .

You know Lyn is pretty important being the first lord to make it out of japan

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Granted.... some of those are C to D list choices.

But the fact is there are plenty of good 1st Party choices. Not a lot of A-Ranks BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN TAKEN ALREADY, but a fair number of B's such as K. Rool, Inklings, Ganon, etc., then you get some sizable named C-lists like Isaac, Bandana Dee, FINALLY AN ADVANCE WARS FIGHTER, etc.

This one, right?
Oh right. That thing. Guess I better go back to my first party choices again...

To be quite honest a "popular by region" decision would not surprise. . .just those choices would. If it was say K rool for NA, Bandana Dee for Japan and. . . IDK Rayman for Europe I could totally believe that. But Arle, Shovel Knight and layton as region reps? naw man.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
These are the 1st party characters I think still have calling power:
- K. Rool (duh)
- Ridley
- Isaac
- Krystal
- Bandanna Dee
- Inkling
- Ganon

If Nintendo focuses on new IPs, we could see stuff from there. I would love for new franchises to get represented.

Burruni

Smash Hero
To be quite honest a "popular by region" decision would not surprise. . .just those choices would. If it was say K rool for NA, Bandana Dee for Japan and. . . IDK Rayman for Europe I could totally believe that. But Arle, SHovel Knight and layton as region reps? naw man.
Inklings for Europe.
In spite of them getting the absolute worst Splatfests.

- K. Rool (duh)
- Ridley
- Isaac
- Krystal
- Bandanna Dee
- Inkling
- Ganon

If Nintendo focuses on new IPs, we could see stuff from there. I would love for new franchises to get represented.
I agree with all of these. (Captain) Toad belongs to that list too imo.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
- K. Rool (duh)
- Ridley
- Isaac
- Krystal
- Bandanna Dee
- Inkling
- Ganon

Think you could add Wolf to that list. :wolf:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Snake the highest?

Whoa they're, didn't you read the news?
http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/18/konami-calls-it-quits-on-aaa-console-games-reports-say/

Konami is done with AAA games snake is one of them.
"Konami is done with AAA games, so Snake has no chance of being in Smash."

"King K. Rool is a costume, so he has no chance of being in Smash."

In case you don't get the analogy, it's very close-minded to think that a simple change of circumstances completely shatters their chances. Just wait for things to play out.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
To be quite honest a "popular by region" decision would not surprise. . .just those choices would. If it was say K rool for NA, Bandana Dee for Japan and. . . IDK Rayman for Europe I could totally believe that. But Arle, Shovel Knight and layton as region reps? naw man.
As third-party region reps, not first-party. This may be because of how popular the third-party option is. Maybe we should move on to something else though. This topic is getting kind of heated.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
As third-party region reps, not first-party. This may be because of how popular the third-party option is.
Third party region reps.

That would mean at least adding three more third parties for the sake of pleasing a separate region. Not only is it pointless, but a waste of development when you could spend that same time making characters that appeal to all regions and kill several birds with one stone.

I'll drop it here.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We should just get Wolf, K. Rool and Inklings, that way we have characters that are highly requested worldwide. Also, all this talk about third party region reps and poor Australia gets nothing.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Third party region reps.

That would mean at least adding three more third parties for the sake of pleasing a separate region. Not only is it pointless, but a waste of development when you could spend that same time making characters that appeal to all regions and kill several birds with one stone.

I'll drop it here.
It's not pointless when that specific region could make the character sell big.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Back to DLC [returning] stages, anyone?
Nah, this is DLC character discussion.

What "unpopular" characters do y'all think has the highest chance of making it?

I'm banking on a Ray model from Custom Robo. Probably Mk III, but hoping for Ray 01. I think that since Ray has appeared in Smash before, he'd at least be in Sakurai's mind, and Sakurai may see the character as a really fun addition to the game. Being able to utilize all the different CR tools would be great. Plus, while it's waning nowadays, Ray had massive support in Japan for a while, and is still in top 25 according to a poll posted a few pages back.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's not pointless when that specific region could make the character sell big.
Yet as I said in the original quote, why make a character that appeals in one region when you can make one that can sell well in most if not all regions and double, maybe triple the sales, if that's what ultimately matters most(which it doesn't, it's also about pleasing fans)?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
As far as Mii Costumes go I have two predictions. The first one is Isaac from Golden Sun as a Swordsman, and the second one is Alex Kidd as a Brawler.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Nah, this is DLC character discussion.

What "unpopular" characters do y'all think has the highest chance of making it?

I'm banking on a Ray model from Custom Robo. Probably Mk III, but hoping for Ray 01. I think that since Ray has appeared in Smash before, he'd at least be in Sakurai's mind, and Sakurai may see the character as a really fun addition to the game. Being able to utilize all the different CR tools would be great. Plus, while it's waning nowadays, Ray had massive support in Japan for a while, and is still in top 25 according to a poll posted a few pages back.
Fair point XD.

Gonna go with Chibi-Robo. He's cute and Nintendo is at least somewhat regularly making games for him.
He's just got some new potential moves from his new Zip-Lash game and I feel he would be one of those quirky 'surprise/wtf' character additions. :)

Plus he fun in Super Smash Flash 2, but i don't agree with that projectile catching thing. It's Villagers job tho I guess two characters able to do that may be interesting...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yet as I said in the original quote, why make a character that appeals in one region when you can make one that can sell well in most if not all regions and double, maybe triple the sales, if that's what ultimately matters most(which it doesn't, it's also about pleasing fans)?
Those kinds of characters that appeal to all regions is rare though. We rarely get something gets high popularity in every region like Mewtwo for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom