• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
No way! Wow! I didn't know that!

Seriously though, I never claimed such.
Regardless, why are the amount of appearances or specific appearances relevant to begin with? I prefer Daisy, but the fact that she appears in slightly more significant titles is hardly reason enough to justify her inclusion over any given character if you ask me. But obviously that is just my opinion on the matter.

D

Deleted member

If Waluigi is such a filler character, then why is Waluigi in Super Mario Maker as an Unlockable Costume yet Daisy is nowhere to be found in that same game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
There's only one option for a Paper Mario character that isn't Paper Mario....

.....AND HIS NAME IS RAWK HAWK!

(He seriously needs to show up more......)
We're showing off Paper Mario characters we'd like to be in the Smash series? I... I ch-challenge you with a "another Koopa" character! Th-The name's Koops!

I really like how the Paper Mario characters, no matter how minor, are characterized. I'd like Koops to be a trophy and maybe even be an Assist Trophy. I still think Paper Mario should be the one playable fighter from the Paper Mario series, but not merely for the sake of Paper Mario representation. I mean, he's got 4 games, not counting Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, to get his source materials from for his moveset. Wow, I think I'm going to cast a support vote for him.
If I were to do one more poll (It'll be small though) and some missing characters people were complaining about, who should I add?
Ryu Hayabusa if you haven't added him before.
Question for everyone:
Have you ever gave up on a character that you used to support?
Not because of an NPC disconfirmation or something like that, but because your support just......faded away for no apperent reason.
Not really. I knew what I was getting into, casually investing time and emotions in the characters I've voted for. I would not remove any one of my votes if I had the opportunity. I have changed my initial #1 most wanted character, though. If you mean support by campaigning, I don't think I've participated in doing so. I just want the fighter suggestion box to end already.
If Waluigi is such a filler character, then why is Waluigi in Super Mario Maker as an Unlockable Costume yet Daisy is nowhere to be found in that same game?
I like to think Daisy is being held back for a significant purpose. Either that or Nintendo is just being Nintendo with those questionable decisions.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Question for everyone:
Not because of an NPC disconfirmation or something like that, but because your support just......faded away for no apperent reason.
No. However, I kinda want Ridly in the game now (I was dead set on him not appearing before).

I picture him crouching all the time, always ready to pounce. And when he stands up to taunt the opponent...He is twice the size of Ganondorf. (and he is a little bit taller than Ganondorf while crouching.) As the biggest character in smash in length and width, he is also heavy, and has a pretty good recovery. As a dragon, his powerful, and can jump three times.

His Up B could be Flying Slam: He could try to grab the opponent, if he succeeds he flies up, then slams the opponent to the ground. If he fails, he flies up anyway if he is in the air, but doesn't try to slam air into the ground. (He doesn't if he is on the ground, so it doesn't leave him too open to attacks.) His Side B could be...Oh I don't know. His Neutral B could be a Fire Ball, and his Down B could be his pogo tail attack. If he hits an enemy, or the ground, Ridley would be launched upwards, and the Meteor Smash (or footstool if that is too OP) you can deliver with it is a bonus. (it could also be semi-aimable.)

Although I do have one request should he get in. DON'T LET IT BE BIRD RIDLEY!!!!!!!! (It'd be like Fox except ear-splitting)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We're showing off Paper Mario characters we'd like to be in the Smash series? I... I ch-challenge you with a "another Koopa" character! Th-The name's Koops!

I mean, he's got 4 games.
4 Games...Those 4 Games are Paper Mario, the Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario (cameo). Yup. 4 games.
I don't have anything against Koops, but I think he and Kooper are competing to be one of Paper Mario's Special Attacks should Paper Mario even get in the game. I don't think he can compete with even Waluigi.

(Also, that picture totally betrays his personality)

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If Waluigi is a meme then Captain Falcon and even the Roys are memes as well.
And? I didn't say they weren't.
What I was trying to say is that Waluigi is much more popular than Daisy, and a lot of his popularity is thanks to WAAAA memes.
I like Waluigi, but yeah, sorry, he is not more important than Daisy.
Both of them are "spin-off filler characters", but one is more funny and popular than the other.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

I really like how the Paper Mario characters, no matter how minor, are characterized. I'd like Koops to be a trophy and maybe even be an Assist Trophy. I still think Paper Mario should be the one playable fighter from the Paper Mario series, but not merely for the sake of Paper Mario representation. I mean, he's got 4 games, not counting Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, to get his source materials from for his moveset. Wow, I think I'm going to cast a support vote for him.

Ryu Hayabusa if you haven't added him before.

Not really. I knew what I was getting into, casually investing time and emotions in the characters I've voted for. I would not remove any one of my votes if I had the opportunity. I have changed my initial #1 most wanted character, though. If you mean support by campaigning, I don't think I've participated in doing so. I just want the fighter suggestion box to end already.

I like to think Daisy is being held back for a significant purpose. Either that or Nintendo is just being Nintendo with those questionable decisions.
Hi :)

So, yeah it seems you indeed support him so should I add you to the supporter list?

(I mean you liked my OP post and for absolutely no meaningful reason, i like these :) )

But yeah, playable for me is no question it;s paper mario or nothing, but trophyies and AT......there;s A TON available.

You could have rawk hawk that would do some stuff, you could have O'lchunk that would grab and throw you like you would be a basket ball ball, you could have dimention that would do soem square selection and make it explode, you could have crazy stuff like Cortez doing stuff.....IT GOES ON AND ON AND I AM OVERHYPED WHILE I TYPE THIS!!!!!

And then i didn't even touched the stage mainly the theater possibility, it';s freaking crazy.

Seriously, there;s a tons of potential there. The main reason why paper mario woudl be a great addition is that first, REALLY good potential and most importantly, he's a well defined character, you could find a playatyle that would rerally feel different and fun. As well as the paper amrio seruies still nto being dead thanks to paper jam and people actually loving it, there's good reasons to want him (he;s actually quite popular too).

The only gripes I see is that he is a mario character so it might worry Sakurai on overkilling it......but on the other end, he is quite consistently popular so.....if he's wanted......this is less of an issue.

So, yeah I would love if he was in :)

D

Deleted member

And? I didn't say they weren't.
What I was trying to say is that Waluigi is much more popular than Daisy, and a lot of his popularity is thanks to WAAAA memes.
I like Waluigi, but yeah, sorry, he is not more important than Daisy.
Both of them are "spin-off filler characters", but one is more funny and popular than the other.
And?
You were saying that the reason why Waluigi is in Super Mario Maker is just because "He is a funny meme".

I disagree with that notion. Nintendo (NOA more specifically) references memes all the time, but i dobut that Waluigi was given a costume in that game just because of that.

Im not saying that Waluigi is deserving or super important, but rather i was asking why would such a "filler" and "unimportant" character like Waluigi would appear in a game like Super Mario Maker, a game developed by Nintendo EAD (which have been responsible for making some of the mainline Mario games like Galaxy 1 and 2). All the costumes of Mario related characters are important characters like Rosalina and Bowser and/or enemies like Goombas and Koopas, with the occasional unexpected costume like Foreman Spike and Mario Kart. Daisy is nowhere to be found here. (yet)

A much better and logical answer would have been "Waluigi has been a fairly popular character and they included due to the demand of him being in a mainline Mario platformer and since SMM is a game about "creating" your own Mario game in a way, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to appeal to Waluigi fans".

Instead, you said "Because he is a funny meme".

And it's not like Daisy is unpopular or anything, she has fans.

Yes she has haters, but so does Duck Hunt and Tingle, who appear in Mario Maker as well.

If you think that Waluigi's sole inclusion is becuase of him beign a meme, you should look for a better reason or argument unless you want Golden to show up.

Sorry for the wall of text, but that's how i feel.

EDIT: I know that Super Mario Maker is not a mainline Mario game, but it's still a platformer inspired after the main Mario platforming games.

D

Deleted member

It's flattering how I'm basically a Red Baron of sorts when it comes to Waluigi, but I honestly saw Chandelure's "Because he's a funny meme" as being meant as a joke.

Because really, there is no "real" reason as to why Waluigi got in Mario Maker and Daisy didn't. He just did.

(Though if you want my opinion, it might have to do with representing Mario Tennis like how Kart Mario represents Mario Kart.)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
And?
You were saying that the reason why Waluigi is in Super Mario Maker is just because "He is a funny meme".

I disagree with that notion. Nintendo (NOA more specifically) references memes all the time, but i dobut that Waluigi was given a costume in that game just because of that.

Im not saying that Waluigi is deserving or super important, but rather i was asking why would such a "filler" and "unimportant" character like Waluigi would appear in a game like Super Mario Maker, a game developed by Nintendo EAD (which have been responsible for making some of the mainline Mario games like Galaxy 1 and 2). All the costumes of Mario related characters are important characters like Rosalina and Bowser and/or enemies like Goombas and Koopas, with the occasional unexpected costume like Foreman Spike and Mario Kart. Daisy is nowhere to be found here. (yet)

A much better and logical answer would have been "Waluigi has been a fairly popular character and they included due to the demand of him being in a mainline Mario platformer and since SMM is a game about "creating" your own Mario game in a way, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to appeal to Waluigi fans".

Instead, you said "Because he is a funny meme".

And it's not like Daisy is unpopular or anything, she has fans.

Yes she has haters, but so does Duck Hunt and Tingle, who appear in Mario Maker as well.

If you think that Waluigi's sole inclusion is becuase of him beign a meme, you should look for a better reason or argument unless you want Golden to show up.

Sorry for the wall of text, but that's how i feel.
The "he is a funny meme" was a joke and a way to say that he is popular and that's the reason why he is in that game.
Not because he is more than a spin-off character or better than Daisy.
He is not more important than Daisy, Birdo or Toadette, but he is more popular than them and that's why he is used as the representative of spin-off Mario characters, in Smash and now in Mario Maker.
Well, that's my opinion.

D

Deleted member

I personally think Waluigi's popularity could give him more prominent appereances in the future, and Mario Maker is starting that trend.

Although i think i took the "Funny Meme" joke way to seriously.....

I think we can leave it at this.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You want me to be truthful

Both Waluigi and Daisy are irrelevant.

Waluigi was created specifically to be a tennis partner for Wario and was considered a hated character for a while until he took on his own personality in later games

Daisy was a Peach clone/replacement in Super Mario Land was ONLY brought back to be Peach's Tennis partner. Her personality was really dull and uninspiring until Double Dash gave her a tomboyish style and the Strikers games went on that and expanded on it.

Both you wanna know why they were never considered and probably won't and it's really quite simple:
No main game appearances or a game of their own where Sakurai and his team can take inspiration from.

:rosalina:represents all of Galaxy and her moveset shows it, plus she's been in 3 straight main games and being playable in one. :4bowserjr: has been in 3 main games and his clown car playstyle ripped from the NSMB series, Mario World and Sunshine.

You can make excuses like them repping the sports titles (:4peach: does that already considering her F-Smash has the Golf club and Tennis racket) or having them rep the other Mario spinoffs which doesn't alot to work with for a fighter like Party and Kart.

Arguing over who is more relevant is hilarious considering they are both in the same regard, difference is that one is in Mario Maker and the other is in Mario Kart 7. They both are irrelevant and still doesn't hold any candle like most characters. Toad and Paper Mario have a leg to stand on compared to those two.

Call me when they actually put Waluigi in one of Wario's games and Daisy breaks out for her own playable cameo that isn't a spinoff or sports game

D

Deleted member

Seeing as both Smash and Mario Maker heavily emphasize Waluigi's association with Mario Tennis, Nintendo should just have him take over the franchise and make it his own.

You know, like how they had him "take over" the 64 game on the website (yes, Waluigi was treated like a big deal back when he debuted).

That blank square was where you could play a flash game of clipping Waluigi's overgrown toenails and collecting them in a jar. I'm dead serious. Waluigi practically invented the bizarre concept of WarioWare.

And finally give Charles Martinet's vision of a Waluigi game where you have to cheat to win new life.

D

Deleted member

I apologize if i took the argument too far, i still have a lot to learn.

So are we talking more about Paper Mario now?
Because if that's the case, im much more confident about him than i am about most of the characters i support.

Then again, the "3rd Mario" debates could happen if we talk about him.

EDIT:Has Waluigi been confirmed for Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash yet?

D

Deleted member

The sad thing about this is that this conversation is pheraphs the most activity this thread has gotten for a while..

And it's going to be ths way until October 3rd, which will be a long wait.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
You could have rawk hawk that would do some stuff, you could have O'lchunk that would grab and throw you like you would be a basket ball ball, you could have dimention that would do soem square selection and make it explode, you could have crazy stuff like Cortez doing stuff.....IT GOES ON AND ON AND I AM OVERHYPED WHILE I TYPE THIS!!!!!

And then i didn't even touched the stage mainly the theater possibility, it';s freaking crazy.

Seriously, there;s a tons of potential there. The main reason why paper mario woudl be a great addition is that first, REALLY good potential and most importantly, he's a well defined character, you could find a playatyle that would rerally feel different and fun. As well as the paper amrio seruies still nto being dead thanks to paper jam and people actually loving it, there's good reasons to want him (he;s actually quite popular too).
Remember how Ditto was a removed Pokeball Pokemon in Melee? How about Doopliss takes his place as an assist trophy? Or we can have Kerli berate you and block the screen with dialogue, Resetti style. :troll: I'm honestly more excited for Paper Mario stages/assist trophies/music/bosses?/trophies than I am for an actual Paper Mario character, oddly enough.

Should Paper Mario get his own series, or be part of the Mario series? I know the Paper Mario stage is listed as part of the Mario universe. But it feels like the stuff that happens in the PM games has no influence on the stuff that happens in the main Mario games, and vice versa. Even the Yoshi games seem to have more relevance to Mario games. Odds are that if a PM character does happen, it'll probably be in the Mario series anyway, so it's a moot question.

This reminds me how much I want a real new Paper Mario game. Not Sticker Star. Not M&L: Paper Jam. Not even SPM, although I actually liked that game. A proper RPG sequel without any gimmicks. New gameplay mechanics are fine, but there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater by also removing the stuff people liked about PM in an attempt to be novel. Just make a good game. I'll forgive no innovation if it manages to just be a good, fun experience with a zany story and memorable characters.

I took a look at Paper Jam and it's disappointing to see the Paper characters have the same boring animations they had in Sticker Star. And a little white border, just in case you forgot they're paper. I feel like someone is taking the "Paper" part way too far and forgetting that the paper was an aesthetic, not the primary draw of the game. The first PM game didn't even reference it that much. TTYD started the whole 'paper abilities' thing, SPM quietly ignored it, and Sticker Star just ran with it. It's unfortunate, but I feel like I just have to give up on PM as a series because someone is intent on it being the kitchen sink where you throw all the weird gameplay mechanics that don't find a home elsewhere, instead of being the quirky but solid RPG-with-platforming-elements that it excels at being. I'll always have the first two, at least (I like SPM, and I thought the emphasis on plot was good, but it started this trend of changing the gameplay dramatically).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Whenever I see people write off Waluigi as "just a meme" I die a little inside. It's like "Just a waifu" or "just a swordsman."

That's trying to erase popularity because you don't like the character. Even if it's true. Doesn't really matter how they became popular.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You want me to be truthful

Both Waluigi and Daisy are irrelevant.

No.

Waluigi was created specifically to be a tennis partner for Wario and was considered a hated character for a while until he took on his own personality in later games

Daisy was a Peach clone/replacement in Super Mario Land was ONLY brought back to be Peach's Tennis partner. Her personality was really dull and uninspiring until Double Dash gave her a tomboyish style and the Strikers games went on that and expanded on it.

Luigi was purely created to be Mario's number 2, and Wario was created to be a bad Mario.
Heck, Jumpman and DK were made to replace Popeye characters.

Both you wanna know why they were never considered and probably won't and it's really quite simple:
No main game appearances or a game of their own where Sakurai and his team can take inspiration from.

This does not matter.
Just because the sports games aren't main games or games of their own doesn't mean they don't have created potential for fighters.

Same with main games, they don't guarantee a good moveset potential. (See Toad, he appears in a lot of main games, but has yet to develop his own potential outside of becoming a Captain)

:rosalina:represents all of Galaxy and her moveset shows it, plus she's been in 3 straight main games and being playable in one. :4bowserjr: has been in 3 main games and his clown car playstyle ripped from the NSMB series, Mario World and Sunshine False, there was no Clown Car in Sunshine.
You can make excuses like them repping the sports titles (:4peach: does that already considering her F-Smash has the Golf club and Tennis racket) or having them rep the other Mario spinoffs which doesn't alot to work with for a fighter like Party and Kart.

Oooooor you take the niche of their special moves (Daisy has flowers and Waluigi has whacky machines) and create a moveset of them.

Arguing over who is more relevant is hilarious considering they are both in the same regard, difference is that one is in Mario Maker and the other is in Mario Kart 7 and they are both in over 40 games. They both are irrelevant and still doesn't hold any candle like most characters. Toad and Paper Mario have a leg to stand on compared to those two.

Call me when they actually put Waluigi in one of Wario's games and Daisy breaks out for her own playable cameo that isn't a spinoff or sports game
Replies in Orange

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Question for everyone:
Waluigi but that was because I didn't expected more than 1 Mario newcomer so I stuck with Rosa.
And for no apparent reason (that I can remember)......Krystal.
Oh I dunno. Maybe there will be a Wave 2 of Super Mario Line of amiibo's that include Daisy and/or characters for Mario Maker will be continuously added in?

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Anyhow, what do you guys NOT want from smash DLC?
Not as in a character you would dislike being in Smash 4, but rather it's effect on gameplay.

I'd be a lil' annoyed if there were a bunch of quick, combo-heavy characters.
Their movesets are usually pretty unappealing to me and watching tourney play with characters like that isn't very interesting.

I'm hoping for some really odd playstyles.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Oh I dunno. Maybe there will be a Wave 2 of Super Mario Line of amiibo's that include Daisy and/or characters for Mario Maker will be continuously added in?
Hate to jump in on this but, that's pretty highly unlikely. Mario Party 10 has been out for a while now, as have that wave of amiibos. If they were planning on a Wave 2, we would at least have known about it by now.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
4 Games...Those 4 Games are Paper Mario, the Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario (cameo). Yup. 4 games.
I don't have anything against Koops, but I think he and Kooper are competing to be one of Paper Mario's Special Attacks should Paper Mario even get in the game. I don't think he can compete with even Waluigi.

(Also, that picture totally betrays his personality)
Why not have the idea of using both? It's like Paper Mario is calling all of his allies upon to win the fights, hence the purpose of teamwork during the Paper Mario games

Troykv

Smash Master
Not as in a character you would dislike being in Smash 4, but rather it's effect on gameplay.

Their movesets are usually pretty unappealing to me and watching tourney play with characters like that isn't very interesting.

I agree with the last sentence, I'm hoping for a diverse play-style in the DLC. And I'm day and night hoping for Micaiah

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You mean a character that i don't want because of his playstyle or implementation?

Hard to say. The only character that could fall into that category for me it's Chrom.

I personally don't want all the newcomers to be super gimmicky tbh, i would like a more simplistic character like Greninja.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

I agree, no combo characters. They shouldn't be too much of a problem.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Personally I'd rather avoid retreading ridiculous similar playstyles...but at the same time the last thing I want is a gameplay style that's based around a gimmick as intrusive as Robin's specials having limited uses.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's the way I see some of the most likely newcomers for DLC in terms of playstyle.
K. Rool: Likely will be a fairly slow, and projectile-heavy heavyweight. :4duckhunt:, :4dedede:, or :snake: being most comparable.

Isaac: :4robinm: with a more aggressive focus, lack of the usages system, but may include a Djinn system.

Bandana Dee: A small, somewhat floaty fighter with an emphasis on mid-range zoning. Strong aerials but poor ground abilities.

Inklings: :4megaman: tier projectile-usage with emphasis on area control.

Dixie: More aerial, slightly slower and lighter fighter in comparison to :4diddy:. Honestly see her as a :4lucas::wolf: or :4luigi: level of "cloneness." I can't help but stand by the thought that they will be similar.

Paper Mario: ??? I really don't know what gameplay style they'd try to focus on with his arsenal across the games.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I feel like Paper Mario (as much as I don't like him as a fighter option) has the most potential to be something completely unique in terms of fighting.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I feel like Paper Mario (as much as I don't like him as a fighter option) has the most potential to be something completely unique in terms of fighting.
While he does have a lot of options, I wouldn't really see him as more unique than the others.
  • Rool can use a boomerang crown, and also shoot gas from his blunderbuss to disrupt his opponents.
  • Dixie can shoot bubblegum and attack with her ponytail, and also use a guitar.
  • Dee can use his spear in several ways, and also use healing items.
  • Isaac has a large variety of earth-based magic/psionics, like creating vines or earthquakes.
  • Inkling shoots out long-ranged ink that takes different forms.
So while PM would be unique with his partnering system and his partners' attacks, I don't see how he has more potential than the others.
You can get a unique moveset out of pretty much any character.
I'd say that you can with most characters, but that there's still a handful without never-been-seen-before moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom