• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/
No idea why this hasn't been posted here yet.
Just a bit of the japanese fanbase's support from Source gaming.
Dixie is lower unfortunately but Inklings shot up and much more.

Viridi top 50 <3
Part 1 king k rool and dixie were tied

Part 2 latter they chose the king over dixie kong

And king k rool is the most requested in the east and west

It looks like him and wolf may be are practically as likely as palutena was before she got revealed at this point

(Ofcoarse thats slight optimistic but its still a safe bet for now.)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I already spoke about the poll extensively about paper mario in his thread but basically: the most interesting fact about it is that I have nothing to say.

It got what I think is more accurate than the previous one and although we see lately hyped characters getting on top 10, the one that were requested before jsut....got more....

And paper mario not changing and being KINDA (he ties with 3 others) top 10 just solidify my claim that he has a very consistent popularity like kkr or inklings.

But I just don;t have much to say, it;s just what should have been expected imo.....

And btw, yes isaac performs very badly in JP, that was known from the previous poll too.

Troykv

Smash Master

Viridi top 50 <3
So... in the end K. Rool is the most requested character (even with Veterans) worldwide? This really interesting.

Otherwise I'm surprised with see Magolor (specially this one), Geno and Banjo too high.

And see Micaiah in the Top 24/25 is beautiful (she is the only viable FE character in the Top 50 xDU) Oh... PushDustIn PushDustIn , you did a little mistake with her name xDU

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
In that poll, Bayonetta has beaten all of these:
  • Captain Toad (hehe)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Yink/Pichu
  • Bomberman
  • Ridley
  • Pokemon Trainer
Those are pretty requested characters too. So TBH she didn't do too badly. =D

Last edited:
In that poll, Bayonetta has beaten all of these:
  • Captain Toad (hehe)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Yink/Pichu
  • Bomberman
  • Ridley
  • Pokemon Trainer
Those are pretty requested characters too. So TBH she didn't do too badly. =D
you're kidding yourself if you think Monster Hunter, Bomberman, Pokemon Trainer, and Ridley (anymore) are "pretty requested"
waluigi and young link aren't exactly popular either.

She will never be playable in smash 4. ever

PIXLEsauce

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cheatingtaco
3DS FC
2320-6152-1291
you're kidding yourself if you think Monster Hunter, Bomberman, Pokemon Trainer, and Ridley (anymore) are "pretty requested"
waluigi and young link aren't exactly popular either.

She will never be playable in smash 4. ever
I'd say bomberman is still pretty popular. Hunter from monster hunter was my first ballot vote but other than that I've never heard any support for him/her otherwise.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Viridi top 50 <3
Wolf and Krool in the top 2. These two make the most sense for DLC in my eyes. Both villains, both highly requested, and both of their respective game series are still getting new releases.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So, after some research, I looked into the SourceGaming polls answers and roughly got an answer as to "most popular character". I took the # of votes from the 4 and 5 section, and got a percentage out of the total votes in that specific section of the polls. For instance, let's say there's 100 votes for one poll, and 20 people said "Yes" to Wolf, then it'd be 20%.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised at what I saw. Now, keep in mind this is in no way official, and is just me investigating. The polls aren't done yet whatsoever, so there's still a chance for things to drastically change.
  1. Wolf (71.1%)
  2. Inkling (68.3%)
  3. Isaac / Ice Climbers (66.3%)
  4. King K. Rool (64.6%)
  5. Snake (63.8%)
  6. Bomberman / Banjo & Kazooie (56.5%)
  7. Dixie Kong (51.9%)
  8. Shovel Knight (51.5%)
  9. Chibi-Robo (49.9%)
  10. Impa (48.4%)
  11. Shantae (48.1%)
  12. Bandanna Dee / Rayman (45.2%)
  13. Wonder Red (45%)
  14. Ridley (44.2%)
  15. Phoenix Wright / Simon Belmont (43.2%)
Honorable mentions are (in order): Prof. Layton, Tetra, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Krystal, Squirtle, Bayonetta, Ivysaur, Amaterasu, Captain Toad, Takamaru, Black Shadow, Skull Kid, Masked Link, Midna, Sceptile, Ray MK III, Black Mage, Chorus Kids, Viewtiful Joe, Eggman, Andy of Advance Wars, Hades and Ashley.

I'm personally surprised at Isaac surpassing K. Rool, or seeing Bomberman / Chibi-Robo up so high.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Honestly whenever I see K. Rool outside of any #1 spot, I usually just assume many of the voters are tired of hearing him talked about hahahaha. He just feels like he's guaranteed at this point (I know there are no guarantees so pls don't think I'm calling him guaranteed) and so people are putting their support elsewhere.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My thoughts on this ballot.
  • I am really surprised about Jibyanyan's placing. (Makes me want to get Yo-Kai watch even more.)
  • I have no idea what the heck Arle Nadja is.
  • PICHU IS TOP TWENTY!!!!!! YAY!!!!! :D
  • Who is Ray? Is it short for Ray MK III
  • Random Magnemite.
  • Shadow is less popular than Magnemite. lol
  • Mega Man Zero? When was that a thing?
  • Toon Ganon? (Well I guess people reeeeeely want that decloned Ganondorf.)

As a side note, I find it weird when someone says Yink or Tink. I know what it means, but I have a sister, so whenever I see Tink, I automatically think of Tinker Bell. And to me, I find Yink just to be a funny word. Not complaining or anything. Just my thoughts.

Honorable mentions are (in order): Prof. Layton, Tetra, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Krystal, Squirtle, Bayonetta, Ivysaur, Amaterasu, Captain Toad, Takamaru, Black Shadow, Skull Kid, Masked Link, Midna, Sceptile, Ray MK III, Black Mage, Chorus Kids, Viewtiful Joe, Eggman, Andy of Advance Wars, Hades and Ashley.

I'm personally surprised at Isaac surpassing K. Rool, or seeing Bomberman / Chibi-Robo up so high.
Glad to see she still has support. :)
Nintendo needs to buy Okami so Amaterasu can be first party.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
My thoughts on this ballot.
  • I am really surprised about Jibyanyan's placing. (Makes me want to get Yo-Kai watch even more.)
  • I have no idea what the heck Arle Nadja is.
  • PICHU IS TOP TWENTY!!!!!! YAY!!!!! :D
  • Who is Ray? Is it short for Ray MK III
  • Random Magnemite.
  • Shadow is less popular than Magnemite. lol
  • Mega Man Zero? When was that a thing?
  • Toon Ganon? (Well I guess people reeeeeely want that decloned Ganondorf.)

As a side note, I find it weird when someone says Yink or Tink. I know what it means, but I have a sister, so whenever I see Tink, I automatically think of Tinker Bell. And to me, I find Yink just to be a funny word. Not complaining or anything. Just my thoughts.

Glad to see she still has support. :)
Nintendo needs to buy Okami so Amaterasu can be first party.
Arle Nadja is the main protagonist of SEGA's Puyo Puyo games. This is her by the way:

Ray is considered as the Ray series in general for Custom Robo, but I believe @PushDustIn put Ray MK III as the Ray rep since he is the most recent Ray model of the series.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Arle Nadja is the main protagonist of SEGA's Puyo Puyo games. This is her by the way:

Ray is considered as the Ray series in general for Custom Robo, but I believe @PushDustIn put Ray MK III as the Ray rep since he is the most recent Ray model of the series.
Yes, and most of the people specifically stated Ray MK III. It's the same with Waddle Dee/ Bandanna Dee or Kaptain K. Rool/ K. Rool. I went with the more popular name.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yes, and most of the people specifically stated Ray MK III. It's the same with Waddle Dee/ Bandanna Dee or Kaptain K. Rool/ K. Rool. I went with the more popular name.
Oh, really? Thanks! I didn't even know!:) Funny thing, out of all the Ray models, I also support Ray MK III the most! Though, I'll definitely settle for ANY Ray model, though!

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
What about KI: Uprising? Also do they think that DKC, Metroid, WarioLand and post-Sakurai Kirby are underrepresented?
Viridi is the most requested Kid Icarus rep. I havent seen many claims that KI is underrepped. Same with Metroid and Wario Land. There is an anti-Sakurai group that does complain that DKC, Metroid, Wario Land and post-Sakurai Kirby being underepped, but only DKC has 'mainstream' acceptance.

Troykv

Smash Master
There is some, but not as much as in the West.
Lol, is impossible that doesn't exist the complains (I saw some things when I visited some japanese pages) , but is a lot less than in west.

Viridi is the most requested Kid Icarus rep. I havent seen many claims that KI is underrepped. Same with Metroid and Wario Land. There is an anti-Sakurai group that does complain that DKC, Metroid, Wario Land and post-Sakurai Kirby being underepped, but only DKC has 'mainstream' acceptance.
One day I visited a post talking about Micaiah... And some people was talking about BWD xD.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So, as I am ignorant here with the limited knowledge of playing a demo on the gamecube, can someone more in the know explain to me about what exactly is Custom Robo (for the factor of Ray series of robots?) and possibly how this compares to the upcoming but low-hype LBX?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
About the repping thing, it's a matter of perspective.

Remember, they've had releases from Fire Emblem since it's inception on the NES in Japan; so of course they won't say it's overrepresented, as it's a very old franchise there and thus has a large fanbase in Japan in contrast to the US, where we never even knew it existed until Marth and Roy were accidentally left in the international version of Melee. The massive popularity of the franchise's two representatives in America caused the series to become internationally released from then on.

As for Metroid, that series is sort of in the same situation as Punch-Out!; monstrously popular in the West, but not nearly as popular in Japan. Personally, I think it's because of the film's inspiration from the Alien series, which (to my recollection, anyways) has never had a theatrical release in Japan, as well as Japan's general disinterest in American science-fiction; which is likely because of the enormous popularity of the tokusatsu genre in the country, causing many people to be turned off from it. Other M was more popular in Japan than other titles, but it's unlikely they'll try to go that route again anytime soon.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I didn't claim you claimed that. I was just pointing out how your mentioning of Daisy being picked over Waluigi in Mario Kart 7 was irrelevant.
It wasn't really irrelevant when part of the discussion involved titles that Waluigi and Daisy appeared in.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So, as I am ignorant here with the limited knowledge of playing a demo on the gamecube, can someone more in the know explain to me about what exactly is Custom Robo (for the factor of Ray series of robots?) and possibly how this compares to the upcoming but low-hype LBX?
Here you go! A lot of VERY knowledgeable people here. Also LBX is totally different and the combat is significantly less intense than CR in a lot of CR fans's opinions.
http://smashboards.com/threads/support-ray-for-smash-custom-robo-discussion-thread.325155/

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Inkling, Wolf, King K. Rool with possibly some wild-card makes the most sense to me as a final set of DLC characters. The longer we go without hearing any DLC news the likelier we have some killer content when they do begin "Wave 2."

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Warning Received
There's a certain image posted by one of Smashfieds team members hinting at a character in the future, but I'm scared to post it so.....

Well at least the top half. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It wasn't really irrelevant when part of the discussion involved titles that Waluigi and Daisy appeared in.
Ok
Inkling, Wolf, King K. Rool with possibly some wild-card makes the most sense to me as a final set of DLC characters. The longer we go without hearing any DLC news the likelier we have some killer content when they do begin "Wave 2."
It'd be great if two characters that a lot of people thought were out of the running due to their Mii costumes managed to get in.
There's a certain image posted by one of Smashfieds team members hinting at a character in the future, but I'm scared to post it so.....
View attachment 73320
Well at least the top half. :p
I'm guessing that's for Bayonetta; who else would have such a defined ass? Other than Snake.

It's not going to be snake. They specifically said they aren't doing veterans for smashified. . .

Japan doesn't care for overrepping and Viridi is their most wanted KI character. They have good taste. Now if only they liked Wonder Red and RIdley

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Japan doesn't care for overrepping and Viridi is their most wanted KI character. They have good taste. Now if only they liked Wonder Red and RIdley
Ridley's doing surprisingly well for his status, actually; top 15 in votes is in no way bad. Maybe this'll bode well for the Space Pirate's future in Smash.

Wonder Red's chances kind of got blown to bits once W101 bombed, though, so I don't expect him to ever get in. :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know...
Come Smash 5, if Square finally loosens its deathgrip on their character enough to allow a FF character for Smash...
There's one assist trophy I want to see more than anything else.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, after some research, I looked into the SourceGaming polls answers and roughly got an answer as to "most popular character". I took the # of votes from the 4 and 5 section, and got a percentage out of the total votes in that specific section of the polls. For instance, let's say there's 100 votes for one poll, and 20 people said "Yes" to Wolf, then it'd be 20%.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised at what I saw. Now, keep in mind this is in no way official, and is just me investigating. The polls aren't done yet whatsoever, so there's still a chance for things to drastically change.
  1. Wolf (71.1%)
  2. Inkling (68.3%)
  3. Isaac / Ice Climbers (66.3%)
  4. King K. Rool (64.6%)
  5. Snake (63.8%)
  6. Bomberman / Banjo & Kazooie (56.5%)
  7. Dixie Kong (51.9%)
  8. Shovel Knight (51.5%)
  9. Chibi-Robo (49.9%)
  10. Impa (48.4%)
  11. Shantae (48.1%)
  12. Bandanna Dee / Rayman (45.2%)
  13. Wonder Red (45%)
  14. Ridley (44.2%)
  15. Phoenix Wright / Simon Belmont (43.2%)

Impa being up there definitely says she's a popular pick.

ARGUEMENT BUSTED!

Should I start tagging people for this next? I wonder...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That you didn't bring it up last time doesn't mean it didn't bother me untill this time though.
If you needed this specific poll to prove she's a common pick, then honestly, doesn't that mean Impa's niche outside Japan? Remember, Ridley's at 14 here, in almost every western poll, he gets to about 3. Regional popularity is also important

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you needed this specific poll to prove she's a common pick, then honestly, doesn't that mean Impa's niche outside Japan? Remember, Ridley's at 14 here, in almost every western poll, he gets to about 3. Regional popularity is also important
Luckily Japan's influence is bigger than influence from anywhere else. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom