• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
But at the same time, sometimes he doesn't care.
Like the fact there are two Marios, Links, and Samus's on the roster and in Brawl there can be two Blue Falcons at once (Captain Falcon's entrance/FS and the one on Big Blue).
So really the only way to know what Sakurai thinks of the idea is to ask him. Unfortunately, that is very difficult.
Whenever someone is playing as both Samuses I just like to thing the one with the armor on is SA-X and I'm just playing the sequel to Metroid Fusion...

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
But at the same time, sometimes he doesn't care.
Like the fact there are two Marios, Links, and Samus's on the roster and in Brawl there can be two Blue Falcons at once (Captain Falcon's entrance/FS and the one on Big Blue).
So really the only way to know what Sakurai thinks of the idea is to ask him. Unfortunately, that is very difficult.
Dr. Mario is described as Mario as he appeared in Dr. Mario.
Toon Link is described as Link as he appeared in Wind Waker.
Samus is described as Samus without her varia suit.

Magnus (for example) is Magnus, if Magnus was an assist trophy and a playable character there is no real "justifible" reason as to why he can be both. It really shouldn't matter, but since the game does these things where characters are removed from the background when they are in battle I think it makes sense that this trend would continue.

As for Brawl with Captain Falcon, that was Brawl. This is Smash For, ideals change over time. :4villager::4mii:

And yes, we don't know what he really thinks unless someone asks him. Till then, we can only speculate.

Calane

Smash Ace
Sakurai apparently cares enough to remove Toon Link / Dedede / Tom Nook (When Villager is being played) / etc. from stages so I can only imagine a similar situation would happen with Assist Trophies.
That's kind of pointless and a little strange, but if that's how Sakurai does things, who am I to question it? I think there's better ways to go about this sort of thing, but I'm not Sakurai, so what I say doesn't really matter.

Troykv

Smash Master
Voting for characters that you know won't get many votes is basically just like not voting in terms of the effect you have. I'm going to vote for a character I like that has a realistic chance. I'm not going to lower the chances of getting a character I like just for the ideal of voting for my favourite character. Doing that is basically just wasting a few clicks on a computer.

Not really. Requesting an iconic character from a major franchise that is vastly under--repped isn't greedy. That franchise and it's fans deserve rep. If it's a major franchise, then the character will likely be popular outside of that franchise's dedicated fans as long as they're not implemented as a clone. Asking for a non-iconic character from a from a tiny franchise that already has tons of rep to take that spot is greedy. It's greedy because the franchise does not warrant another character, and far less people would be happy than if a Nintendo icon from a massive series got in.
I just vote for the character that I love ;__;

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Medusa should be in the game, oh wait she's too big *Snicker

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
No, you are a greedy heartless monster who makes children cry at night because of your greed for something you like....according to Dre88 anyway...

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Mario is described as Mario as he appeared in Dr. Mario.
Toon Link is described as Link as he appeared in Wind Waker.
Samus is described as Samus without her varia suit.

Magnus (for example) is Magnus, if Magnus was an assist trophy and a playable character there is no real "justifible" reason as to why he can be both. It really shouldn't matter, but since the game does these things where characters are removed from the background when they are in battle I think it makes sense that this trend would continue.

As for Brawl with Captain Falcon, that was Brawl. This is Smash For, ideals change over time. :4villager::4mii:

And yes, we don't know what he really thinks unless someone asks him. Till then, we can only speculate.
I'm confused on what's actually being discussed right now. Are you saying that you don't think he will add assist trophies or are you saying you don't think he should?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Again, I think the Assist Trophy problem is solvable by palette swaps.
Either, give the character a ninth palette and the Assist Trophy 8 extras that they share interchangeably.
Or, give the Assist Trophy 1 more palette that they use when the default is being used.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Again, I think the Assist Trophy problem is solvable by palette swaps.
Either, give the character a ninth palette and the Assist Trophy 8 extras that they share interchangeably.
Or, give the Assist Trophy 1 more palette that they use when the default is being used.
I don't even think that would be necessary. You can play as Dark Samus via palette swaps, but you can still get the Assist Trophy of Dark Samus, which looks the exact same.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
When I think about how well my wanted characters would do in terms of sales(Don't worry, this business mindset didn't affect my votes) if they were DLC, I'd like to ask myself the following questions. You'll notice isn't a question asked about how well the character's franchise sells. Some of them are weak questions, but here goes:

• How would this character play in this game? Fun? Dominating?

• If I didn't know this character from his/her game(s), would I still be interested in him/her? What about people who didn't know him/her before he/she became DLC? What do they think?

• How many people would be interested in this character regardless of the quality or quantity of the represented franchise in this game?

• How well would the character do solely based on his/her visual design? (I assume the casual crowd is big on this, just like me...)

Er, these are the only questions I had in mind at the moment. You may share your questions to consider if you got some. Again, this "business mindset" isn't important to us.

If the character had a certain gimmick, how many people would be fond of it?
Whenever someone is playing as both Samuses I just like to thing the one with the armor on is SA-X and I'm just playing the sequel to Metroid Fusion...
Same, but mostly because I don't like Samus (Power Suit) in these later Smash Bros. games. Like, where my Ice Missiles at? Why can't I roll(crawl) indefinitely? Most importantly, why is the Power Suit not so fun to use here? Why is the user of that Power Suit such a dummy to play against? Where's the revamped moveset? Oh, it's because she's not really Samus, but an inferior version of SA-X. Yep. That's the reason.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
That's kind of pointless and a little strange, but if that's how Sakurai does things, who am I to question it? I think there's better ways to go about this sort of thing, but I'm not Sakurai, so what I say doesn't really matter.
Don't take what I'm saying too close to heart, lol. Say / Think what you want and vote for who you want. This is just my opinion with all things considered.
I'm confused on what's actually being discussed right now. Are you saying that you don't think he will add assist trophies or are you saying you don't think he should?
I don't think he will, it would be nice if he did though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As you should.
If you voice your opinion about something as harmless as a character in a video game I'm sure there's a chance someone will listen.
But you shouldn't just jump ship and vote for someone you don't really want just because the character you do want is unlikely.
I daresay that's a major factor in why Impa is where she is in votes.

Troykv

Smash Master
As you should.
If you voice your opinion about something as harmless as a character in a video game I'm sure there's a chance someone will listen.
But you shouldn't just jump ship and vote for someone you don't really want just because the character you do want is unlikely.
I daresay that's a major factor in why Impa is where she is in votes.
Yes! That is one of the reasons because I did a Twitter to Support Micaiah and share my opinion in websites like this :3

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't even think that would be necessary. You can play as Dark Samus via palette swaps, but you can still get the Assist Trophy of Dark Samus, which looks the exact same.
Oh believe me, I'd love to believe that we're all grossly overthinking this and Sakurai will see the demand for Takamaru or someone and go "lol I'll add Takamaru just to surprise the **** out of people cause he's an AT".

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
You may share your questions to consider if you got some. Again, this "business mindset" isn't important to us.
How much of a backlash will we get for making this character playable?
What kind of Mii-Costumes can we release with these guys in a bundle?
Stages with the bundle?
Does anyone else like saying the word bundle as much as I do?

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
How much of a backlash will we get for making this character playable?
What kind of Mii-Costumes can we release with these guys in a bundle?
Stages with the bundle?
Does anyone else like saying the word bundle as much as I do?
Huh, I'm going to use that word in the next question.

What if we released a bundle of Mii costumes of DLC characters with popular votes and THEN release the actual DLC characters two days later? :troll:

Can the character even get past the ESRB's E10+ rating barrier?

StormC

Smash Hero
No they don't. Their armors are differently built.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No they don't. Their armors are differently built.
Well, they don't look exactly the same, no. But it's still very easy to confuse them.
Of course, this is coming from someone that has
A. Confused Dark Pit for Pit
B. Confused Ike's Chrom palette for Chrom
C. Confused Luigi for Mario

So maybe I'm not one to judge.

samus's dark samus color is as much dark samus as luigi's purple color is waluigi :p

Why the hell did they have to end dark samus's story. I would love to play it in smash

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
samus's dark samus color is as much dark samus as luigi's purple color is waluigi :p

Why the hell did they have to end dark samus's story. I would love to play it in smash
Do people forget that Mario has a Waluigi alt as well making both him and Luigi have the same colour swaps?

During Dark Samus's RTC day I was bewildered that people were using Samus 'COLOUR SWAP' as an argument against her chances....WHAT? I get the Assist Trophy thing but a colour swap? I mean Pit and Dark Pit have colour swaps of each other for pete's sakes...

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Do people forget that Mario has a Waluigi alt as well making both him and Luigi have the same colour swaps?

During Dark Samus's RTC day I was bewildered that people were using Samus 'COLOUR SWAP' as an argument against her chances....WHAT? I get the Assist Trophy thing but a colour swap? I mean Pit and Dark Pit have colour swaps of each other for pete's sakes...
Don't forget the Mario/Wario combo, still there sense the days of 64

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Don't forget the Mario/Wario combo, still there sense the days of 64
actually I did initially right that but since both Mario and Wario differ greatly in appearance from each other, I decided not since it didn't really help my argument...
But yeah either way, alternate colours shouldn't make any difference unless they are full on alts like :4alph: for example...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just saw the 'greedy' vote thing. That's some of the most entitled **** I've seen. "Who do you want to see playable?" Is what Nintendo asked. What Dre is saying is "I don't want that character so you're not allowed to vote for him, it's a waste" because the fact it will affect future installments show that you can vote for NPCs too. Will they become DLC in this game? Probably not, but with enough fan support, whoever's in charge will look and think "Everyone really wanted Ridley, how about I put him in?" It works for every NPC. "They don't have a chance so it's a waste" it's only a waste if it's not a video game character

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think a key thing people are missing when it comes to the Ballot is that it's supposed to effect not only Smash 4 DLC but the next game too.
So for me, I voted for Midna for the next game and the slim chance she gets in now. I feel like she deserves to get the same treatment as Rosalina (another one of my favorite Nintendo characters), and Smash would pretty guarantee a future like that.

The ballot is less a contest and more a "hey Nintendo you should totally add this character to Smash at some point".
And I would say this anyway except now...they can actually see me say it.

Why wouldn't I vote?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's a shame people don't look at it that way...
It's almost like campaigning for an election...most votes by the public wins the election and guarantees a spot on the roster...As opposed to, 'suggesting' a possibly viable character that could be very well taken into consideration so long as there are good enough arguments for said character...sure the popular picks seem more likely to be chosen based on their volume, but at the same time not voting for characters that you truly desire just lessens their chances to begin with...

I'm just curious how everything would turn out if people 'actually' supported and voted for characters they truly genuinely want to be playable as opposed to bandwagoning to characters who have 'better chances'...not saying everyone does this, cuz I'm sure a vast majority of King K Rool and Wolf supporters truly want those characters but I can't help thinking that there are quite a few that simply support the more feasible characters simply because of better chances...

If the character has no chance and voting for them will not make a difference, then why would voting for the popular pick make any better difference to begin with? Since your one vote isn't going to say other people away from their popularity...It's almost disrespectful to the character if you think about...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's a shame people don't look at it that way...
It's almost like campaigning for an election...most votes by the public wins the election and guarantees a spot on the roster...As opposed to, 'suggesting' a possibly viable character that could be very well taken into consideration so long as there are good enough arguments for said character...sure the popular picks seem more likely to be chosen based on their volume, but at the same time not voting for characters that you truly desire just lessens their chances to begin with...

I'm just curious how everything would turn out if people 'actually' supported and voted for characters they truly genuinely want to be playable as opposed to bandwagoning to characters who have 'better chances'...not saying everyone does this, cuz I'm sure a vast majority of King K Rool and Wolf supporters truly want those characters but I can't help thinking that there are quite a few that simply support the more feasible characters simply because of better chances...

If the character has no chance and voting for them will not make a difference, then why would voting for the popular pick make any better difference to begin with? Since your one vote isn't going to say other people away from their popularity...It's almost disrespectful to the character if you think about...
What's better is the fact Dre has shown he doesn't like the fact FE got 5 characters and how he doesn't like Ridley. Who does he critisize and call 'waste of a vote'? Fire Emblem characters and Ridley.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
People are talking about characters as if they are real beings, as if they're family that you have to be loyal at all costs or something. They're video game characters.

If you guys want to waste your votes that's fine. I'd just personally prefer my vote count for something rather than it not just to maintain the ideal of character loyalty or something

What's better is the fact Dre has shown he doesn't like the fact FE got 5 characters and how he doesn't like Ridley. Who does he critisize and call 'waste of a vote'? Fire Emblem characters and Ridley.
Wtf I didn't say I don't like Ridley, I just realise he doesn't have the proportions to be a fighter, like Sakurai and everyone else did. That doesn't mean we don't like him why can't Ridley fans understand that...

Could you explain how getting a 6th character for a tiny franchise would be better than getting one for an underrepped series or for a new series all together?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Nintendo is very likely going to use the poll as a reference for future games, so I can't say any vote is a waste. Every vote counts.

:231:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
People are talking about characters as if they are real beings, as if they're family that you have to be loyal at all costs or something. They're video game characters.

If you guys want to waste your votes that's fine. I'd just personally prefer my vote count for something rather than it not just to maintain the ideal of character loyalty or something

Wtf I didn't say I don't like Ridley, I just realise he doesn't have the proportions to be a fighter, like Sakurai and everyone else did. That doesn't mean we don't like him why can't Ridley fans understand that...

Could you explain how getting a 6th character for a tiny franchise would be better than getting one for an underrepped series or for a new series all together?
And then there's you, who acts like a vote is a genie lamp,
If a vote with a fantastic write-up for an otherwise unvoted character won't be swaying Sakurai over or at least bring him on an idea, then a single vote on the heap with a write-up done 10 times before won't be much more effective.

Because the character is more fun to play?
Azura brings the three things I liked from other characters I support into one character.
She bends water, dances and sings and wields a spear.
Reps be damned, I voted for her.
I also voted for Dixie and K. Rool

Why?
Not to try to bring absolute equality and vengeful justice to a roster from a video game.
I voted for them because I want to play as them.

It's a video game, not the amount of representatives of each party in the parliament.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How do you even know if a vote is "wasted"?
For all you know, your vote could be the one that's wasted anyway.
If you voted for Marowak, you wasted your vote.

Voting for a character that you know got no other votes, or next to none is wasting a vote because you know they won't get into the game. You also know they won't be considered for the next game either if they got basically no votes. Voting for a character that has other restrictions like licensing or hardware issues is also pointless because you know they can't get in anyway.

The characters that are worth voting for are those types like Midna or Paper Mario, who aren't apparently topping the charts but still have large followings. Voting for those types of characters could count because even if they don't make it for this game, they might get enough votes to be noticed for the next one. But if you're voting for a character that no one else is voting for, then you might as well just have not voted.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

Voting for a character that you know got no other votes, or next to none is wasting a vote because you know they won't get into the game. You also know they won't be considered for the next game either if they got basically no votes. Voting for a character that has other restrictions like licensing or hardware issues is also pointless because you know they can't get in anyway.

The characters that are worth voting for are those types like Midna or Paper Mario, who aren't apparently topping the charts but still have large followings. Voting for those types of characters could count because even if they don't make it for this game, they might get enough votes to be noticed for the next one. But if you're voting for a character that no one else is voting for, then you might as well just have not voted.
Or, and here me out here, or people could act on their own free will without having people breathe down their necks because they didn't vote for a popular choice. Now excuse me whilst I submit a vote for Melia. Oh but wait that's apparently a waste of a vote because she doesn't have a large following isn't it?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
All I know is that I only voted for Tetra and Toon Zelda because the inclusion of either one would probably make me the happiest Smasher on Smashboards. That's all you have to do. Just think of the character/s that get you really excited when you imagine playing them in Smash and put in a vote for that character. It's a chance for you to share your opinion directly to Nintendo. The opportunity isn't going to last forever. Vote for who you genuinely want.

TheOneWithoutAFairy

Smash Rookie
NNID
CCP_07
3DS FC
0259-0672-3897
I don't really care about having any FE characters introduced. I just want Shovel Knight...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

BUT....how sure are you that you're the only one supporting said character?...For all we know there could be this underground (no pun intended) cult following of Marowak die hards casting boatloads of votes for the Bonemerang pokemon....just because there isn't a vocal support for these characters doesn't really mean there is none to begin with....you never really know for sure...unless you've got some level of clairvoyance that no one else has and can tell not only the future but what Sakurai's thinking...

The fact is....it doesn't matter whether or not the character you're voting for is popular or not...if you cast your vote for a character you have completed the first step...now they have a chance to be noticed when there was none before, and if that happens they have a chance to be considered, because the bottom line is...we still don't really know to much about the Ballot or the criteria that Sakurai and Nintendo are looking for in a fighter...for all we know every single character submitted, barring blatant jokes (which are the real wasted votes tbh), will get heavily considered for playability in smash...your under the assumption that the Ballot is nothing more than a numbers game...

Sometimes the only character people care about are the ones that have almost zero chance to begin with...Instead of casting a vote and letting Nintendo know how much they really care for said character and that they really want them in the game (which is pretty much the purpose of the fighter Ballot to begin with), they should just not bother or spend their vote somewhere else...because they'd be stupid to let nintendo know how much they care about said character in the game...because sometimes, it isn't just about the final outcome...
I only voted for the characters that I personally care about. :Y
I just want my voice heard.
^^because this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom