• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Yeah, we have had a game pretty much characterised by anime-esque human characters. Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Palutena, Shulk all fit that mold. Probably the only anime warrior I won't be disappointed in seeing is Isaac and that says more about his fans than any personal feelings for the character or design.

You know what we don't have any of? Crocodiles.

#Vote4Vector

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yeah, we have had a game pretty much characterised by anime-esque human characters. Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Palutena, Shulk all fit that mold. Probably the only anime warrior I won't be disappointed in seeing is Isaac and that says more about his fans than any personal feelings for the character or design.

You know what we don't have any of? Crocodiles.

#Vote4Vector
No Monkeys and wrestlers

#Rhythm Heaven That isn't Chorus Kids for Smash

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Agreed, I want to see Sakurai spread the love out better. I understand if FE fans want more characters, but not everybody is a FE fan. I want to see more characters appear from games I have actually played and enjoyed.

Out of curiosity would you be angry if Mallow got in but Geno didn't?
Kinda, but I would still be happy because seeing Geno and Mallow getting a future is what I want to see actually

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One thing I don't understand about Banjo-Kazooie getting in Smash...
Why does everyone think it would be a one-sided deal?

Could Nintendo not arrange for a deal where Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie are released for VC, Banjo gets into Smash, and the trade off is Mario characters appear in a couple Microsoft games?

I mean it's very unlikely since Nintendo is so protective of their IPs but they have been doing a lot of collaborations recently.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Could Nintendo not arrange for a deal where Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie are released for VC, Banjo gets into Smash, and the trade off is Mario characters appear in a couple Microsoft games?

I mean it's very unlikely since Nintendo is so protective of their IPs but they have been doing a lot of collaborations recently.
Last time Nintendo characters appeared on a non Nintendo console was CDI iirc. Do we REALLY want another CDI?

TallT

Smash Apprentice

Did you guy hear; Hell just froze over?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I don't want Mario on my Xbox just for B&K in Smash.

Now Killer Instinct back on a Nintendo console is something I can get behind

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes, sacrifices have to made for greater good.
In this instance, the greater good is Banjo-Kazooie for Smash.
I have never played a Banjo Kazooie game
Fine Microsoft can have the best selling video game character to this date and we get Banjo in Smash. Seems fair.:rolleyes::rotfl:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Really? Guest appearances by Mario are extremely expendable. Guest appearances from Banjo Kazooie are one in a million.
Not really. He was in a racing game starring :4sonic: and people rarely cared except for making a few dead franchises jokes

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
My opinion on another FE character in SSB4:

Maybe SSB5 but this game has enough.
So a total of 4 characters from one franchise (5 if you count Lucina) Is enough for you to stop asking for characters from that franchise that only know started to get popular?

In brawl FE only had two characters on the roster, but now suddenly two more is more than enough rep for the series?

So a total of 4 characters from one franchise (5 if you count Lucina) Is enough for you to stop asking for characters from that franchise that only know started to get popular?

In brawl FE only had two characters on the roster, but now suddenly two more is more than enough rep for the series?
For this game, yes, when it has gotten more love than bigger and more popular franchises like Zelda, Donkey Kong and Kirby. And that is three more if you count Roy.

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how many people would've said this about Sonic and Mario appearing in the same game?
When Sega and Nintendo were competing against each other I have to admit I would have laughed at the idea, but since Sega got out the console market I wouldn't say the idea was impossible. Mario won't be appearing on a competitors console unless Nintendo gets out of the console making business.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Well...Yeah.

I'm interested in how you would personally justify giving Fire Emblem 4 characters and Donkey Kong only 2 without bringing a biased personal preference into the mix. The latter franchise is much more of a household name especially to the older generations who had it on Arcade, isn't at a loss for iconic characters, consistently sells significantly better and performs better in the popularity polls.

I'm not entirely sure how to express how I feel about the fact people are voting for a 6th Fire Emblem character, especially the protagonists of whatever the new game is before it was even released when characters like Dixie Kong and King K Rool are still yet to appear. I have similar feelings towards the Inklings in all honesty, and towards Xenoblade.

The best explanation to me is that it feels like they have just barged to the front of the queue. It's almost disrespectful to my mind to the characters who I perceive as having waited patiently and deserve it more.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

When it comes to characters added in this game only one franchise matches that of Fire Emblem...Two newcomers and one returning veteran...that would be Mario...Fire Emblem now has 5 characters (not 4, 5 Lucina is still a separate character) which matches nintendo's third largest IP....one that received only one character between two games...one character that is not even that unique as opposed to Fire Emblem who has so far recieved at least one unique character in each game since melee....
These are reasonings behind why people think Fire Emblem has more than enough characters...

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You know something I don't get about the whole AT thing? If, say, an assist trophy did become playable, what would be the point of not having their assist trophy show up when they're being played? It's not like you can't play as 4 of the same character in a battle, so what's the big deal about assist trophies and such? It's possible to have 8 Mario's in the same battle, so it can't be a "but this character is already here!" thing, as that doesn't really matter. Just change the color of the assist trophy or something, I don't know. It really shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Sakurai apparently cares enough to remove Toon Link / Dedede / Tom Nook (When Villager is being played) / etc. from stages so I can only imagine a similar situation would happen with Assist Trophies.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I used to hate the idea of Castlevania in smash. Then I got gud and beat Dracula, I'm okay with it, would prefer Snake and Bomberman though
I'd agree with the Bomber....but Snake has had his turn in the sun. A Belmont would be such a great fit.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I disagree on Snake solely because he was fun in Brawl. First meteor smash I used, though I never used it off stage because I r teh kasul
I get bringing back classics, I just really want to see fresh faces on the roster....not any more "been-there-done-thats".

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I disagree on Snake solely because he was fun in Brawl. First meteor smash I used, though I never used it off stage because I r teh kasul
As much as it hurts me to say this, Snake is never coming back into the Smash scene. With the recent controversies with Kojima and Konami and the whole directional shift of the company as a whole (more mobile, less console) I doubt that Snake will ever see another console starlight any higher than an Easter egg in the upcoming Metal Gear game.

There is always hope for Big Boss....right?

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

Sakurai personally likes FE, that's why such a small franchise has 5 characters. We know Sakurai hugely biases franchises he likes. But seriously, requesting a 6th character for a franchise with sub 10 million sales is really silly and greedy when you have a franchise with over 50 million sales sitting on only two characters. FE characters are all pretty similar to non-FE fans, and I suppose it doesn't help that we have 3 Marths now.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I understand that it upsets some that their favorite franchise doesn't have fair representation in Smash. However, calling people who want another character who's franchise is "overrepped" silly and greedy, is pretty absurd as well.

Makes you sound about as biased as you call them.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I would prefer Simon Belmont over Solid Snake as a Konami representative. A moveset centered around the former's Vampire Killer whip and a selection of sub-weapons from the Castlevania series interests me more than the latter's firearms. Not that I would be against Snake returning, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I understand that it upsets some that their favorite franchise doesn't have fair representation in Smash. However, calling people who want another character who's franchise is "overrepped" silly and greedy, is pretty absurd as well.

Makes you sound about as biased as you call them.
People voting for FE characters in the ballot are basically asking for Sakurai to put in a 6th character for a tiny franchise over another possible character. Requesting something comes at someone else's expense. That's why I think it's greedy. I get that 3 of their characters are the same, but even then 3 unique characters for such a small franchise is already tons of rep. I don't understand why people can't just be satisfied with that. People supporting much larger franchises would be content with less characters than 5.

Oh, well then sit down boys, girls and in-betweens and shut your faces as I wrap you in the warm blanket of a story

Once upon a time a very wonderful man announced a special voting, but not just any voting, children, this was a wonderful voting for people all around this delightful world to vote who they wanted playable in the game of Smash Brothers.

Now of course every boy and every girl and every in-between had someone they wanted to see playable, but you see some of those characters had roles of their own to fulfill such as appearing for a special move or perhaps that one chap that inflates a balloon and flies away sometimes, always an interesting one that one.

But you see even these these roles, the boys girl and the inbetweens voted for them still, and do you know why this was children, why yes,, it's because those characters were their favourite characters and they wanted to play as them even if they already had a different role.

That's what that wonderful man wanted you see Children, he wanted people to vote for who THEY wanted to see playable not who everyone ELSE wanted and even if they didn't end up playable this time, perhaps the impact they made would improve their favourite characters NEXT time!

And that is the story boys, girls and inbetweens, even if what you do doesn't immediately change things, good things comes in time, you could have ended up making a big difference in the world after all and that's why we need you to stick around and help us out.

I could have voted for Chunky Kong , but then my vote would be absolutely pointless because I know he has no chance of getting in anyway. So I voted for a popular character with a realistic chance, so my vote might end up counting for something.

Minority votes are not going to effect who gets in next game. Voting for Chunky won't affect his chances for next game. The only character's whose chances will be affected will be the popular ones who didn't get into this game.

I don't see why people would bother waste votes on Ridley when Sakurai already knew he was popular. But like every non-biased Ridley fan he knew Ridley doesn't have the right body composition for Smash. So I don't see what voting will do for a character that Sakurai already knows is popular but doesn't fit Smash.

If you want to spend a moment doing a few clicks on a ballot page that you know will mean absolutely nothing I can't stop you. I just don't get the logic. Why waste your vote when you have the chance to vote for a character you like with realistic chances? The latter option is more likely to result in you getting you something you like, even if you don't like them as much as your original preference.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Why waste your vote when you have the chance to vote for a character you like with realistic chances? The latter option is more likely to result in you getting you like, even if you don't like them as much as your original preference.
Because first of all no vote is a waste if you GENUINELY want the character....and because if it ever does happen that just means its that much sweeter....
You're logic is just as flawed because it contradicts the purpose of the smash ballot...'Who do you want to see become a fighter?' 'I want to see Cranky Kong but since he has no chance I'll vote for someone else instead!'
Vote for who you WANT not who you THINK will become a fighter...

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Because first of all no vote is a waste if you GENUINELY want the character....and because if it ever does happen that just means its that much sweeter....
You're logic is just as flawed because it contradicts the purpose of the smash ballot...'Who do you want to see become a fighter?' 'I want to see Cranky Kong but since he has no chance I'll vote for someone else instead!'
Vote for who you WANT not who you THINK will become a fighter...
Voting for characters that you know won't get many votes is basically just like not voting in terms of the effect you have. I'm going to vote for a character I like that has a realistic chance. I'm not going to lower the chances of getting a character I like just for the ideal of voting for my favourite character. Doing that is basically just wasting a few clicks on a computer.

literally any vote is for this purpose though :/ every possible character will be at another's expense.

Not even going to bother responding to the ridley part.
Not really. Requesting an iconic character from a major franchise that is vastly under--repped isn't greedy. That franchise and it's fans deserve rep. If it's a major franchise, then the character will likely be popular outside of that franchise's dedicated fans as long as they're not implemented as a clone. Asking for a non-iconic character from a from a tiny franchise that already has tons of rep to take that spot is greedy. It's greedy because the franchise does not warrant another character, and far less people would be happy than if a Nintendo icon from a massive series got in.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sakurai apparently cares enough to remove Toon Link / Dedede / Tom Nook (When Villager is being played) / etc. from stages so I can only imagine a similar situation would happen with Assist Trophies.
But at the same time, sometimes he doesn't care.
Like the fact there are two Marios, Links, and Samus's on the roster and in Brawl there can be two Blue Falcons at once (Captain Falcon's entrance/FS and the one on Big Blue).
So really the only way to know what Sakurai thinks of the idea is to ask him. Unfortunately, that is very difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom