• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Match-up Discussion Thread REMOVE STICKY PLZ

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
with proper DI its usually 150 if not dimished

Ripple, just wondering, I know you didn't post the lucas guide because you disagree with it, but you don't seem to have a problem with the wario matchup, so why isn't that up there?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm lazy. but I only think that the difficulty is wrong with lucas because of some bias. I just don't think you took every attack into consideration, you just took what your friend did. I need complete analyzation of each character

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Great progress guys. This thread has come a long ways.

Wario, Watch out for Fart, SA on Fsmash and his NomNomNom, besides that I don't find that match anything... interesting. He's pretty predictable on recovering. No projectiles and you out range him on ground and Air. His DI is great but won;t win him the match.

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
I've faced a couple of very very talented Wario's and I would say he is underestimated even more so than DK sometimes. His bite/chomp/chew (whatever the hell it is) thing is incredibly annoying mindgame wise and has incredible priority. Another common thing ive noticed Wario's will do is they will play melee-jiggs style then change it up to an aggresive air dodge into a fsmash/grab. Its not a "hard" matchup per se, but he can be a tough cookie to deal with. His ftilt also KOs at 100 or so, and has really strange timing on it which can ruin you on a bad dodge/shield.

Oh, yeah, and he can chain grab with his down throw (I think its his dthrow). You can dodge out of it if you anticipate it, but it opens up a bunch of mindgame opportunities for him which can let a smart wario punish you easily.

ICEDTEA1325

Smash Apprentice
personally i find lucario a 6-7 on the scale. he has a projectile not the best but the up down motion makes it little bit harder to move around. hes over smash has weird timeing atleats to me. his counter doesn't help against dk's slow moves either.

Linguini

Smash Master
so whats up with wario, i know d3 has the infinite on DK, but i heard wario also has one?
is it escapable? please elaborate.
thanks.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
You can't escape it at very low % but it becomes easy to roll out of above 30%

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I just fought a Zelda on-line, It's pretty repetitious and definately a Din's Fire/Usmash strategy. It was the most boring /predictable match I've ever played. =/

Don't try and beat out her upB, just parry/shield and Dsmash to punish, Its tight timing but it does work. Additionally the first part of her upB isn't active for a WHILE, even while she has sparkles encasing her body, she can still eat Bairs. It reminds me of Zamus really, as her moves look active WAY before they are actually active.

I'd like to see this list in your 1st post somewhere, as the relationship between stages and opponents is too important to just be implemented individually.

Stage heights and Character vertical survival ratings. Additionally, DK is a BEAST with vertical kills, not very many moves do the vertical kill, but they are powerful.

New Pork City: 118 (Bottom)
Jungle Japes: 100/97/93
Summit: 94 (Bottom) 71 (Top)
Green Hill Zone: 89/80/74
Luigi's Mansion: 88/84/78/67
Mario Circuit: 88/81/73
Shadow Moses: 88/80/70
Onett: 88
Pirate Ship: 85
Skyworld: 85/80/76/70
Havenbow: 85
Pictochat: 84
Eldin: 83
Pokemon Stadium 2: 83/75
Battlefield: 82/75/68
FD: 82
Delfino: 82
Norfair: 82/74/67
Yoshi's Island: 82/75
Lylat Cruise: 82/74
Spear Pillar: 82
Castle Siege: 82-88-81
Distant Planet: 82
Smashville: 82/74
Frigate: 81-77
Brinstar: 81/74/68
Wario Ware: 79
Halberd: 77/75/68-73/65
Aero Dive: 77
FlatZone2: 77
Rainbow Ride: 75
Green Greens: 75
Yoshi's Island (Melee): 74
Corneria: 74/70/57
Mushroomy: 67

DeDeDe: 99
DK: 96
Snake: 96
Bowser: 93
Falcon: 92
Ike: 91
Ganondorf: 91
Link: 89
Charizard: 89
Wolf: 88
Wario: 88
Yoshi: 87
Samus: 86
ROB: 86
Ivysaur: 85
Lucario: 83
Mario: 82
Luigi: 82
Pit: 82
Sonic: 82
Ness: 81
Marth: 80
Diddy: 80
Lucas: 80
Toon Link: 80
Ice Climbers: 78
Falco: 77
Peach: 76
Pikachu: 75
Olimar: 75
Zamus: 74
Zelda: 74
Shiek: 74
Meta-Knight: 73
Kirby: 72
Fox: 72
G&W: 70
Squirtle: 68
Jigglypuff: 65

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
DK's a metaknight counter, and anyone who disagrees can go get *****, I've beaten the best metaknight in the west twice in two tourneys, in fact dk ***** everyone who isn't ice climbers, dedede, or bowser

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Any tips on fighting Olimar too. I know he's there in the guide, but can you elaborate a little more please? How do you deal with his side b and Usmash ._. He likes to dash usmash a lot. He also baits me with side b and i knock the pikmin away then he dashes Usmashes me ._.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Any tips on fighting Olimar too. I know he's there in the guide, but can you elaborate a little more please? How do you deal with his side b and Usmash ._. He likes to dash usmash a lot. He also baits me with side b and i knock the pikmin away then he dashes Usmashes me ._.
don't play DK. really, this is a match up that you need to avoid at all costs. I'll editmore in when I have time. I've had an *** load of stuff to do getting on to post for only 10 min. at a time.. plus Prom was this week and I haven't slept in about 28 hours so I'm going to bed right now

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Diddy, don't try to shieldgrab him out of his running attack, you can't. bair helps a lot, also, pick up his bananas and glide toss them. when you're recovering, do your upb at odd times so he doesn't expect it

I haven't played a good falco, so i couldn't tell you

olimar, grab him, and don't throw, just jab him a bunch of times, when he breaks out, dtilt, sets up a lot

the characters that have given me problems are bowser, dedede, IC, and peach, I haven't played a good fox, falco, or kirby though, so they might be trouble, don't know though

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
so this has finally been stickied, sweet. now its time to actually update this place with everybody

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i just thought it would be cool to note that once you get metaknight above 40~ish on the top of the fin on Corneria, you can grab -> cargo -> jump -> upthrow and he'll die

~The More You Know~

LOL

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
yeah, but no metaknights going to pick corneria, and if you lose to one and have to counterpick, you can go anywhere with platforms and win easy

and ripple, metaknight is not difficulty 6, I've beaten pretty much every metaknight in socal without a problem, he's easy

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
something without too many or low platforms, they help marth more than DK. PS2 and FD are good choices

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Watch out for counter too when fighting Marth. Its instantaneous his counter. But only time marth counter's you is when you're PREDICTABLE. So yea, don't be predictable and you won't have a DK punch get countered in your face killing you ^^ and Marth's will expect more deadly moves at higher percents. Smart ones at least. Sucks that you have to be physical with Marth so counter can always get you if you don't play smart.

Spacing is key as previously said. But i also recommend feints to trick a Counter happy marth to counter leaving him WIDE open for a DK punch in the face ^^ heck feints are good for anything just don't over do them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
updated with kyle's stage height and wario match up.

although could you please explain the stage height kyle I'm confused and I'm not sure if everyone who reads it will understand.

edit: bowser and DDD will be edited due to new research and development in the metagame

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Stage height was too much, your right. But the vertical survivability is good info to have.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
so now what do you think of ness Bigfoot?

HOHO420

Smash Apprentice
ZZS is cake dude, jus spot dodge then grab. I find mario and luigi the hardest matchups for me. And bowser for sum reason. Both mario and luigi can utilit u for a while since ur big. And their nair can throw you off because they can do it instantly. I HATE LUIGIS UPPER CUT, but its funny nonetheless.

Mario's cape can easyily send u the other way while ur trying to get back on the stage. Luigis misfire can KO you from the center of FD, i think like at 60-70% maybe. And their down grabs, utilt, nair, bair is a sik combo.

As for bowser, the dude i fight uses his Forward B alot. Which in turn leads to suicide. As for range, his fire has a decent range, and flying fortress. I think his dsmash sucks you in, im not sure on that. He can pull off many nairs, so watch out for those. Overall, DK out ranges bowser, but the kid i fight is sik with him. I'l ltry to get sum footage if he comes back to gamestop.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
how do you exactly play against wario with DK i know DK has the advantage right because he outranges wario right?

not really, wario has good control over DK because of his neutral b and your inabilty to shield grab

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
The more I play against talented warios, the more I feel like we do have a slight advantage. Remember, the b button is your friend guys. Spacing is easier than you think, and they are really limited in KO options.

Top Bottom