• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Frame Data *Throws Added*

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Wow. Lol I always assumed you couldn't get grabbed during the cargo. That's pretty dumb.

Anyways I got some results on the side b. The formula so far looks like its 96+D-5N= frames of pitfall stun for grounded headbutts. For aerial headbutts the formula is 114+D-5N= frames of pitfall stun. D is damage after the headbutt and N is the number of button inputs. Grounded headbutts have 8 frames of hitlag and aerial headbutts have 10 frames of hitlag so overall the aerial headbutt gives 20 more frames of hitstun after factoring in the extra damage and hitlag.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
You never seize to amaze me Big O with all your formulas and stuff.

So basically though, go for the air headbutt if you want them to stay stuck longer. :)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Alright I just did some cargo tests and here are the results so far. 100+5D-10N is the formula for cargo holds duration in frames. D is damage % and N is the number of button inputs. The cargo hold gets cargo armor on frame 1 (after pressing forwards so it's nigh instant) and you can start to move/throw on frame 21. Frame 21 is also when the formula starts. The secret method (which shall remain secret at least in here) reads as a constant button press every frame : (

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Wait what? A constant button press for each frame for what to happen?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Holding Up or Down counts as you pressing a button EVERY SINGLE FRAME.

So thats taking off 10 frames every input.

So for every 1 frame you take to do something, they take off 10 frames.

So after 10 frames, there went the original 100 frames you had from just having them

Then you get 5xD for the rest of the frames

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Ahhhh i see. So thats why holding up works so well.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Well it just means the secret automatically presses buttons really fast for you so you break out really fast.

Edit: Lol typing on the Wii ftl. I can see why you were confused since I didn't define the variables.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Big O is the man. About the cargo, I'm pretty sure DK gets grabbed if someone tries from his front, and the character on your back gets grabbed if they try to grab from behind.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Someone has got to try this.

If this is true, this is going to amazing to use in teams.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I've never really put it to use in teams but I've noticed it happen a few times.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Um... maybe it's character specific, but Mario doesn't grab Wario if DK is cargo holding him. (I even tried running through DK and grabbing lol)

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I would be down to test this, but i never have anyone to test anything with. :(

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I just tried everyone out in practice mode using controlled dittos. No character grabs their ditto out of cargo it would seem. Do you remember the circumstances that you saw it happen in, RagnarOk?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNND....

DER!

Give me a few minutes, I'll try again in regular match mode...

Edit: OK, I'm about a third of the way through the cast with the same result. I also tried out Kirby's, DeDeDe's, Yoshi's and Diddy's moves with "grab" properties and DK got grabbed every time. I'm gonna try it in team mode next to see if the result is the same. I might also try things like uneven ground. The thing that gets me, though, is that DeDeDe wasn't getting grabbed when he was clearly in front of DK in the Cargo. :(

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I need to get used to the heavy armor of the cargo. I used to do it all the time.

EDIT: DK's down throw can be used so that your partner can catch them when they bounce. I have tried this and do it sometimes during doubles.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I think you grab from behind. And slanted ground might effect it. I think it might have been on yoshi's or delfino, I play those stages a lot.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
OK, I just tried it with team attack off, DK and DeDeDe on a team vs. another DeDeDe. The only way DeDeDe was gatting the grab was from the cargo release. I've tried the b-grab moves, boosted pivots, regular pivots... I even tried having DK jump just below the opponent with the same result. :laugh:

I'll try the hill slants next. Thanks for the frame of reference, Rag.

Edit: hmm. I just tried it on Yoshi's (melee) to no avail, and I doubt that a smaller incline will make a difference. I'm out of time to test for now, but I'll get back on this later tonight. What characters were involved when it happened? All I can think of is that it's a character/location specific glitch.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Maybe it was just one of those random moments in Brawl that will never happen again?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I meant yoshi's brawl, sorry. I can't remember the characters really. If it doesn't work it might of been during the release.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I just tried out the cargo stuff and I think it's safe to say you can't grab whoever you're holding. Even aerial flame chokes just go right through whoever you are grabbing. It seems that whoever you are holding can't get knocked out of your grab either unless they hit you out of the grab too. Sadly down b can't hit the person you are carrying (imagines epic double DK combo that could have been).

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I thought that might be the case. :(

Oh well. This does give me an idea though. Has it already been tested whether or not a grab on a cargo released person by a partner is guaranteed if you use the turnaround trick?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ When you get Down B'd from another DK, wont the character being carried drop down and get hit too?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah they would drop and get hit too but my idea was like this. One DK would cargo and another DK on a platform would down b for massive damage and a hilarious beating. Down b hits people like Mario or taller when they are standing. I was hoping that the down b would hit whoever you are holding while not hitting DK since he bends over to carry them on his back.

You don't really need to do any fancy cargo tricks to pull off a double grab release infinite. Both the regular release and cargo release can be done infinitely as long as your partner has a fast enough pummel to force a ground break. Your partner just needs to not be too close to you since your pummel attack has pretty good reach. DK's cargo release just makes it easier to pull off since you can pummel to stall time if needed and then move towards your partner. Cargo releasing does 6 damage and if they are purposely taking forever to be released your partner can smack them a few times.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I added a section for throws. It is kind of interesting how throws take longer based on weight.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I like how you designated all the cargo throws as tosses. From now on that's what they should be called I think. Dtoss easier than saying cargo down throw.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if it effects the frame data but... I do believe it takes longer to dthrow heavier characters? IDK if it's technically hitlag or what, but I went into a game, dthrew G&W and then did it to Dedede, and it was noticeably longer for dedede.

I don't really expect to see frame data for everyone, honestly I don't care about it :p Just figured I'de make sure everyone else knows? =)

P.S. Big O you're a nut with all this frame data, I love it! :)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Lol I already mentioned that in the small paragraph right before the numbers. I even gave an example of how much of a difference it makes. It definitely isn't due to hitlag but if I didn't know that would be my guess.

I appreciate the good will though. Doing all of this has made me a better player and helps out a lot of fellow DK mains.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Haha, doh! I didn't read just checked out the data :( Sorry bout that.

Extra thanks for the info :)

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Do spotdodges have different numbers of frames? It seems that ROB's spotdodge has less frames than DK's but DK's spotdodge seems laggier after you do his. Is there really a difference between different character's spotdodges?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Do spotdodges have different numbers of frames? It seems that ROB's spotdodge has less frames than DK's but DK's spotdodge seems laggier after you do his. Is there really a difference between different character's spotdodges?
Most are the same, but a couple of characters have longer or shorter animations than the others. DK has one of the longer ones.

Edit: There was a thread with all the details, but I don't remember where I saw it.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Yea also air dodges have different durations based on characters as well.

Or at least Metaknight has the shortest in the game.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Really? Wow thats horrible.

I know for a few characters like Falcon, you cant attack right away when you jump in from the ledge.

For example, with DK if your grabbing the ledge if you jump in as soon as you land you can down smash, although with Falcon, when you jump in and try to do a move, you have about a second or two of lag where you just stand there.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Really? Wow thats horrible.

I know for a few characters like Falcon, you cant attack right away when you jump in from the ledge.

For example, with DK if your grabbing the ledge if you jump in as soon as you land you can down smash, although with Falcon, when you jump in and try to do a move, you have about a second or two of lag where you just stand there.
Ah, that's the recovery lag thing (don't know the exact name >.<). It happens if you grab the ledge with their upBs.

A few characters have this.

Luigi, Mario, Falcon, Ganondorf, Squirtle, Charizard, Marth, ... (not sure if those are all) there is a list of them in the tactical discussion forum.

Don't know if this is for all of them, but if Mario get's hit out of his upB and lands he will also have those few frames of landing lag... but you can "cancel" this by landing with an aerial (this is what those characters should do because it's safer).

Top Bottom