• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Some Dixie/DK themed cupcakes and popsicles for today!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Some Dixie/DK themed cupcakes and popsicles for today!

That's cool. I really like the Dixie one the most.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Dixie gets in Smash and we get the "NOOOOOOO FIRST PARTIES ARE NOT HYPEEEEEEEE NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO" (insert crying Wojack here) we should do a "Reject Third Parties, return to Nintendo" meme, based on the Return to Monkey meme.
I don't think Dixie would get that kind of reaction. She's a character who's been around for a while (unlike Min Min, Corrin, and Byleth), she's not being used to promote any upcoming games (unlike Corrin), and there seems to be demand for her to get in. (unlike Piranha Plant and Corrin) At the very least, it seems like she'd get a better reaction than the other first party DLC newcomers. (which, admittedly, isn't a high bar to clear, but the worst response that I could see her getting is where people think she's all right, but not super-exciting like Ridley or K. Rool because if we get another DK character, she's obviously the next choice)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think Dixie would get that kind of reaction. She's a character who's been around for a while (unlike Min Min, Corrin, and Byleth), she's not being used to promote any upcoming games (unlike Corrin), and there seems to be demand for her to get in. (unlike Piranha Plant and Corrin) At the very least, it seems like she'd get a better reaction than the other first party DLC newcomers.
I think Dixie's reaction would go pretty postive with the casual audience as well. Especially since there was some people who reacted to K. Rool's trailer saying "Where's Dixie?" or "Come on! Show Dixie!".

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I don't think Dixie would get that kind of reaction. She's a character who's been around for a while (unlike Min Min, Corrin, and Byleth), she's not being used to promote any upcoming games (unlike Corrin), and there seems to be demand for her to get in. (unlike Piranha Plant and Corrin) At the very least, it seems like she'd get a better reaction than the other first party DLC newcomers. (which, admittedly, isn't a high bar to clear, but the worst response that I could see her getting is where people think she's all right, but not super-exciting like Ridley or K. Rool because if we get another DK character, she's obviously the next choice)
I hope you are right regarding that, but the more characters like Steve and Joker and Sephiroth are added, it feels as choices like this wouldn't fly by the eyes of the audience that purchased this DLC.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Given how many people I've seen on Twitter explicitly say that first-party characters are boring, I can imagine a character like Dixie getting in would annoy more than a few people. Honestly though I feel like the majority are basically fine with whoever gets in, especially if their moveset is interesting (which tends to be a given with DLC characters).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Dixie's an odd one to predict in terms of reaction because her franchise is very familiar, and most would likely recognize her, but level of excitement would be hard to exactly know. She's about as well known as K Rool was, just with less outright hardcore Smash support. While she lacks the recent high profile appearances an Impa's had, DK's overall proximity to Mario would mean far less "literally who?" or "Hat Goomba" reactions to her that a Bandana Dee would (unfortunately) receive.

The other x factor is the status as a DLC specifically; there's many characters that would get a lot of hype in base game, but might have people feeling a bit more reticent if done as paid downloadable content. Dixie as a base game inclusion would be fairly popular across the board, but coming after the likes of a Steve or Sephiroth could potentially affect reactions. While Byleth was very much a different case, them coming after the four fighters before definitely brough about stronger antipathy than they would have gotten otherwise.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Dixie would still get a largely positive reception compared to most of the other 1st Parties we've gotten.

And for the few who would complain, well.......

View attachment 297564
Detractor/troll: NO! She wasn't suppose to be in the game and take my favorite character's slot. Damnit! They wasted a DLC pack on a girl Diddy clone. **** this game!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, about Dixie's possible victory theme, what would you think if it was her stage clear theme (with the guitar she plays) from Donkey Kong Country 2, with different variations of the theme depending on who she beat and what series the opponent is from, playing a different one randomly if the other opponents are from a different series from one another? The different variations being like these:

For example, the Klomp's Romp version plays if Mario characters are defeated while Kirby characters being defeated would have the lava themed levels version play, and so on and so forth. I realize that this would take a lot of work, but it is just an idea.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I'm of the belief that all Dixie would need is a good trailer. That generates hype and interest to people who otherwise would pass her right on by
This is why i don't want Dixie's trailer to be a repeat of Banjo and K.Rool. Banjo's trailer ended up being kinda boring and i see someone who doesn't care about Banjo Kazooie seeing it as lazy, especially compared to say Sephiroth's.

As someone who hates the One Winged Angel's guts and i can name 12 different characters that i would prefer over him (he is my least favorite Ultimate Newcomer), im not gonna deny he has had the best trailer in Smash so far, even above the Belmonts or Mega Man in 4. From presenting himself as a major threat over the main villain from World of Light, to showing his strength fighting multiple characters in CGI (Bayo, Greninja, Mario, Cloud) to using his theme song that perfectly showcases his final boss status, it's how you do a trailer right, and no trailer will ever top it.

Im not saying that Dixie needs to brutally murder Sephiroth on screen to showcase how good she is (even if i would love that), but she needs to be given her own scenario that allows her to shine, like a trailer where K.Rool and other villains capture the main Heroes (Link, Mario, Cloud, Sonic) and Dixie shows up to save them, perfectly showing her role as a heroine that saves the heroes and is up to the challenge, all while keeping an optimistic and encouraging personality.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This is why i don't want Dixie's trailer to be a repeat of Banjo and K.Rool. Banjo's trailer ended up being kinda boring and i see someone who doesn't care about Banjo Kazooie seeing it as lazy, especially compared to say Sephiroth's.

As someone who hates the One Winged Angel's guts and i can name 12 different characters that i would prefer over him (he is my least favorite Ultimate Newcomer), im not gonna deny he has had the best trailer in Smash so far, even above the Belmonts or Mega Man in 4. From presenting himself as a major threat over the main villain from World of Light, to showing his strength fighting multiple characters in CGI (Bayo, Greninja, Mario, Cloud) to using his theme song that perfectly showcases his final boss status, it's how you do a trailer right, and no trailer will ever top it.

Im not saying that Dixie needs to brutally murder Sephiroth on screen to showcase how good she is (even if i would love that), but she needs to be given her own scenario that allows her to shine, like a trailer where K.Rool and other villains capture the main Heroes (Link, Mario, Cloud, Sonic) and Dixie shows up to save them, perfectly showing her role as a heroine that saves the heroes and is up to the challenge, all while keeping an optimistic and encouraging personality.
I would love a trailer showcasing Dixie saving the heroes. I agree that we're better off having a cinematic that doesn't re-use the K. Rool trailer. Sure, comedy can be repeated but let's not wear out that "relaxing in the treehouse" theme unless it purposely derails quickly and on a level that's very unpredictable. It would help Dixie a lot to have a trailer that doesn't mimic another and has a distinct flair that she can call her own. One of her surface-level criticisms is that she's not that important and she's simply Diddy in drag; a trailer showing why she's a big deal for her series and has its own direction would shut down plenty of detractors, especially if that trailer is hype worthy.

Honestly though, looking back I realize Mega Man's trailer was such an amazing scene for its time and still is pretty exciting. It might be my favorite of that game personally, and Bowser Jr.'s isn't far behind for me. Isabelle's is my least favorite because it's deliberately quaint, and the badassery of K. Rool's had me entranced. I like Sephiroth's trailer as well, but I have no attachment to him so I'm not too hyped. Just had to ramble on lol

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Something tells me that Dixie by herself would not be a compelling option for a standalone fighter pack just because she'd inevitably be a semi-clone of Diddy and wouldn't have that special "gimmick" that each DLC character seems to have. While us fans would still find her a solid choice and worth the cost, Nintendo could see a business risk when she's sold for $5.99 for a similar fighter to Diddy Kong, compared to crazy unique additions like Steve and Sephiroth. Byleth was advertising a new game, something Dixie can't do, and was still received rather....lukewarm.

If they pulled an unexpected twist and announced that the next fighter's pass would include two fan favorite semi-clones instead of one unique 3rd party, I could see Dixie being a compelling option. Sakurai loves his fake outs and unexpected twists, so its not unbelievable to think he might launch two or three similar fighters to give fans one last nod. I don't expect it, but I also won't rule it out. Sakurai is a madman.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Something tells me that Dixie by herself would not be a compelling option for a standalone fighter pack just because she'd inevitably be a semi-clone of Diddy and wouldn't have that special "gimmick" that each DLC character seems to have. While us fans would still find her a solid choice and worth the cost, Nintendo could see a business risk when she's sold for $5.99 for a similar fighter to Diddy Kong, compared to crazy unique additions like Steve and Sephiroth. Byleth was advertising a new game, something Dixie can't do, and was still received rather....lukewarm.
Dixie does have the distinct difference of not being an 8th Donkey Kong character at least.

I've been replaying DKC3 on the Switch. And as much as I would rather have Dixie Kong as a standalone character, I can't deny that a Dixie/Kiddy tag team character would have a lot of potential. One idea that gets overlooked a lot with this arrangement: In DKC3, Dixie can throw Kiddy in the air and he lands with enough force to break weak floors and open trap doors. This could easily translate into a sort of quake move that stuns nearby enemies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

If they pulled an unexpected twist and announced that the next fighter's pass would include two fan favorite semi-clones instead of one unique 3rd party, I could see Dixie being a compelling option. Sakurai loves his fake outs and unexpected twists, so its not unbelievable to think he might launch two or three similar fighters to give fans one last nod. I don't expect it, but I also won't rule it out. Sakurai is a madman.
I think Dixie would sell a lot more than Corrin, Byleth, or Plant. If they could sell those characters, they certainly could sell Dixie even if she's a semi-clone.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The simulations of all of you reacting to Dixie's reception are hilarious. However, if it was Dixie AND Kiddy, I bet reactions would be much more viral, Kiddy would steal the thunder just because of how much of a love-to-hate character (And I hate to say it.... a meme) he is.
I don't want Dixie's spotlight to be stolen but I'm also a big fan of the pair mechanic of the Rare games and having that in Smash would be awesome. I'm torn out in deciding if the pair of Dixie and Kiddy would be worth it.

Also, I agree that re-using the Treehouse fake-out would get stale at this point (But Sephiroth would be in the villains intro, which would be very cool), at least they should progress the plot of the past trailer with K. Rool getting its revenge on Banjo & Kazooie, and then Dixie coming in to the rescue.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Time for another DK/Dixie question of the day! So we all know if Dixie gets added to Smash she will come with music. We all have wanted/speculated about DKC2/DKC3 music being added. But what about the lesser known games in the DK franchise? So I ask you guys if you had to choose one song from King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Jungle Beat (even if Dixie wasn't in this game), DKC3 (GBA), or Barrel Blast to add which one would it be?

As a seperate bonus one song from Diddy Kong Racing/DS you would add as well. I didnt included Diddy Kong Racing as part of the initial pool as I had a feeling everyone would just opt for it instead of the others.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I have to be completely honest, I've played basically none of the Paon-era games. The only one I'm really familiar with in that list is DKC3 GBA, and I'd say the Waterfall theme might be a good fit. Depends on the stage I guess.

For Diddy Kong Racing, I think Ancient Lake would be the obvious choice since it's the first track in the game. But I'm going with Darkmoon Caverns.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Any additional David Wise music is always a plus, so DKC3 all the way.

As far as Dixie, as I've said numerous times, there's plenty of mechanics that would make her stand withouout involving neither Kiddy nor being a semi-clone of Diddy. The Kong Pow meter could be utilized, an animal buddy system where her riding a one long enough spawns a no animal sign giving her a barrel to use against fighters, or even just incorporating a mine cart and/or rocket barrel into her moveset. There's so much potential with her when she's thought of in the Smash 4/Ultimate mold rather than a Melee/Brawl one.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
People wonder why Banjo and Kazooie didn't come with any Mii costumes related to their series or RARE in general, and I have theory they could be saving them for Dixie's reveal.

Give me Mumbo Jumbo, Joanna Dark, Fulgore, and Conker each with their own music to be played on the DK and Banjo stages. Bring in some DK costumes like Kiddy, Funky, Kremling, and a Snomad too.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Time for another DK/Dixie question of the day! So we all know if Dixie gets added to Smash she will come with music. We all have wanted/speculated about DKC2/DKC3 music being added. But what about the lesser known games in the DK franchise? So I ask you guys if you had to choose one song from King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Jungle Beat (even if Dixie wasn't in this game), DKC3 (GBA), or Barrel Blast to add which one would it be?

As a seperate bonus one song from Diddy Kong Racing/DS you would add as well. I didnt included Diddy Kong Racing as part of the initial pool as I had a feeling everyone would just opt for it instead of the others.
Let's see:
King of Swing: https://youtu.be/CqbFacCjWXo (Because it's the mode where Dixie is playable)
Jungle Climber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjBxeecTyeM (Fitting huh?)
Jungle Beat: https://youtu.be/1sKwg5s-8SY (Always sounded so Street Fighter to me)
DKC3 GBA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQzGKUdNNQ4 (Predictable but I love this song and I really want a HQ remix of it)
Barrel Blast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0WR27rE_00 (From all the themes from this game, this one sounds the most appropiated for a fight, gives me Tekken vibes at the beginning)
Diddy Kong Racing: https://youtu.be/rDmY89WASgM (This one had me headbanging when I was a kid)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
People wonder why Banjo and Kazooie didn't come with any Mii costumes related to their series or RARE in general, and I have theory they could be saving them for Dixie's reveal.

Give me Mumbo Jumbo, Joanna Dark, Fulgore, and Conker each with their own music to be played on the DK and Banjo stages. Bring in some DK costumes like Kiddy, Funky, Kremling, and a Snomad too.
I know some of you guys here don't believe in Fatman's words, but one of his sources have heard about a Joanna Dark Mii costume and I wouldn't be surprised if they're saving it for Dixie.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I know some of you guys here don't believe in Fatman's words, but one of his sources have heard about a Joanna Dark Mii costume and I wouldn't be surprised if they're saving it for Dixie.
Seeing how we didn't get a single RARE costume for Banjo, i don't believe this. If RARE costumes didn't come with a character that is A Hundred Percent Rareware, why would they come with Dixie? It doesn't seem to make sense to me, Rare's creation of Dixie notwithstanding.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seeing how we didn't get a single RARE costume for Banjo, i don't believe this. If RARE costumes didn't come with a character that is A Hundred Percent Rareware, why would they come with Dixie? It doesn't seem to make sense to me, Rare's creation of Dixie notwithstanding.
So? Cuphead came with Byleth and didn't come with Banjo or Steve despite being a 2nd party Microsoft IP.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
So? Cuphead came with Byleth and didn't come with Banjo or Steve despite being a 2nd party Microsoft IP.
Cuphead is owned by Microsoft true (and Microsoft is clearly more lax on Cuphead than other properties they own), but it is not exactly related to Banjo outside of being owned the same company, so it can be released afterwards if they want to. Perfect Dark? That is a Hundred Percent Rare pedigree. Rare loves to put their franchises together and cross them over (Banjo and Conker in DKR, Banjo cameo in BFD, ETC) and they had nothing of that sort for Banjo's Pack.

My problem is that Rare had NO cosutmes in Banjo's Pack at all. Not Microsoft Costumes (you should realize that just because a large company owns both IPS doesn't mean that all IPs operate the same or that easy to obtain, unless you want to tell me that Pokémon and Fire Emblem work the same just because they are both owned by Nintendo, never mind being completely developed by different developers and the like), RAREWARE costumes. If say, we got a Conker costume for Banjo's Pass i could see this happening because there would be a precedent, but the fact that Banjo had no Mii Costumes related to Rare seems to me that Rare Mii Costumes weren't and aren't high on priorities, and i don't see them all of the sudden changing their mind on Dixie.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Cuphead is owned by Microsoft true (and Microsoft is clearly more lax on Cuphead than other properties they own), but it is not exactly related to Banjo outside of being owned the same company, so it can be released afterwards if they want to. Perfect Dark? That is a Hundred Percent Rare pedigree. Rare loves to put their franchises together and cross them over (Banjo and Conker in DKR, Banjo cameo in BFD, ETC) and they had nothing of that sort for Banjo's Pack.

My problem is that Rare had NO cosutmes in Banjo's Pack at all. Not Microsoft Costumes (you should realize that just because a large company owns both IPS doesn't mean that all IPs operate the same or that easy to obtain, unless you want to tell me that Pokémon and Fire Emblem work the same just because they are both owned by Nintendo, never mind being completely developed by different developers and the like), RAREWARE costumes. If say, we got a Conker costume for Banjo's Pass i could see this happening because there would be a precedent, but the fact that Banjo had no Mii Costumes related to Rare seems to me that Rare Mii Costumes weren't and aren't high on priorities, and i don't see them all of the sudden changing their mind on Dixie.
That's why I called MDHR a 2nd party Microsoft studio. Did you even read my post?

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
That's why I called MDHR a 2nd party Microsoft studio. Did you even read my post?
Yes, i did, and it doesn't change my stance at all.

WHY would you just release NO Rare Mii Costumes for Banjo but release a few for Dixie? It's not like the costumes that came in that pack couldn't be shuffled around. If Banjo had Mii Costumes from Rare in his pack, i could see them double dipping again, but why Now? They didn't add them alongside the most iconic Full-on Rareware character ever, so the ship seems to have sailed for all im concerned.

As Stingy as Sqaure has been seen, even they released a Mii Costume to go alongside Cloud in 4 that were related to him in some form or fashoin: The Chocobo (same franchise) and Geno (same company, and FF was a huge influence for Super Mario RPG, where do you think Culex Comes from?) , Banjo can't even say that, and it's NOT because Microsoft or Rareware are stingy (if anything, they have been one of the most willing companies to work with in Smash)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Finished my annual playthrough of DKC2 via SNES online and two thoughts stuck out to me when finishing.

First, while Diddy's Kong Quest and Tropical Freeze are pretty evenly matched, one of the few weaknesses of the former is that the later levels make the bonus rooms just a bit too esoteric for access. K Rool's Keep use of the invisible gap in walls especially starts to feel like guesswork for the player in looking for things. Not that TF doesn't' have its search hidden collectibles but its typically better about giving visual cues for that sort of thing.

Secondly it struck me that the original DKC trilogy is a bit more ideal for quick playthroughs vs. Returns and Tropical Freeze because the level size is always fairly compact. Not that the latter two should have smaller stages, their depth and complexity is tied into having room to breath for their individual gimmicks; its just that one has to dedicate yourself a bit more to using them in a play session. It did have me thinking that there could be some real value in a future DKC game having the equivalent of a New Super Luigi U mode/DLC for it; where the levels are tighter in overall length but are much trickier to get through. Essentially a mode that would allow bite sized levels for skilled players, while still letting the main game focus on the longer and more advanced stages.

Top Bottom