• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well it's like I said on the Banjo thread, getting applauded by the guy who created the characters we're rooting for is an honor and a pretty big compliment. Mayles was awestruck by the K Rool support and greatly admired the movesets built by Banjo supporters. And this is coming from the guy who literally brought these characters to life.

The only big creation he talked about that didn't get a shout-out recognizing the fans in that interview was actually Dixie. Hey BirthNote BirthNote and @VeemonTamer , have you guys considered tweeting Steve your movesets, seeing as how much effort you put into them? If you haven't already of course. His Twitter is basically nothing but celebrating his characters and their fans. He even tweeted the letters he got from the Kutthroats thanking him. I bet he would retweet and acknowledge the hard work you guys put into his character. Getting a compliment from the man himself is well-deserved for you guys.
Sounds like a plan! I'll send him my set in a couple hours! Thanks VERY MUCH! It honestly never occurred to me!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Sounds like a plan! I'll send him my set in a couple hours! Thanks VERY MUCH! It honestly never occurred to me!
Yeah, go for it! Say something like "here's a set of moves I've created for Dixie in Smash! Myself and the other Dixie supporters at Smashboards.com send our greetings to the guy who designed her!" Make the dude feel appreciated and all that. He's been really receptive to all the smashers on Twitter talking about K Rool and stuff, he seems to be really enjoying the love everyone's been spreading around.

Edit: Oh joy, I just turned 27. I wonder when you become too old for smash speculation?

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Here’s a list of DKC music that should get in this smash:
Music Madness/Fear Factory medley
Treetop rock
Disco Train
Lockjaw’s saga
Jib Jig (remix)
Minecart Madness
Hot pursuit (remix)
Flight of the Zinger
Mining Melancholy
Funky’s Flight theme (remix)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
We've got some new members!
Aeon Lupin Aeon Lupin
Machete Machete
Ciro Blanco Ciro Blanco
Arymle Roseanne Arymle Roseanne
Cabbagehead Cabbagehead
Admiral Bobbery Admiral Bobbery

Welcome inside the ever-expanding Barrel! We're very close to 300; can you believe it?

I also have a wall of replies to respond to, but I'll do that later. In the meantime:
Yeah, go for it! Say something like "here's a set of moves I've created for Dixie in Smash! Myself and the other Dixie supporters at Smashboards.com send our greetings to the guy who designed her!" Make the dude feel appreciated and all that. He's been really receptive to all the smashers on Twitter talking about K Rool and stuff, he seems to be really enjoying the love everyone's been spreading around.

Edit: Oh joy, I just turned 27. I wonder when you become too old for smash speculation?
First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You're too old for Smash speculation around...5,000 years after you die, so I'd say we've got tons more to go.

As for twitter, I posted it before you replied so the wording's quite different. It's still very appreciative of the work he's done, but here's the tweet:
https://twitter.com/AndrewJCay1/status/1034961546584236034

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
We've got some new members!
Aeon Lupin Aeon Lupin
Machete Machete
Ciro Blanco Ciro Blanco
Arymle Roseanne Arymle Roseanne
Cabbagehead Cabbagehead
Admiral Bobbery Admiral Bobbery

Welcome inside the ever-expanding Barrel! We're very close to 300; can you believe it?

I also have a wall of replies to respond to, but I'll do that later. In the meantime:

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You're too old for Smash speculation around...5,000 years after you die, so I'd say we've got tons more to go.

As for twitter, I posted it before you replied so the wording's quite different. It's still very appreciative of the work he's done, but here's the tweet:
https://twitter.com/AndrewJCay1/status/1034961546584236034
Hey thanks, that's awesome though, I'd be really surprised if he didn't respond to it, I think he's just relented that his personal Twitter is going to be nothing but stuff about his creations for several months lol. If he was impressed with the Banjo movesets, I'm sure he'll like yours. As a creator, it's probably flattering for him to see people re-imagining his characters and putting so much thought into it. Shows what kind of impact they've had on gamers. Heck, I know I'd be pretty flattered.

SlayQueen

Smash Cadet
Grain of salt everyone but this image has been going around:

I don’t think anyone has been able to find the source renders yet...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Grain of salt everyone but this image has been going around:

I don’t think anyone has been able to find the source renders yet...
All of the renders in that leak look extremely bad imo, ken and isaac especially so I think it's fake. Sidenote, I didn't know dixie was part of this, was she listed as an echo fighter or not?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
these are actually the best of the bunch lmfaoView attachment 160577

I applaud the effort at least
Oh there's definitely no doubt that they look good. The Dixie+Banjo renders actually look like they could be part of Ultimate's CSS for one, unlike the rest. They just, especially Banjo, look a bit stiff.

Actually, where did the Dixie+Banjo ones come from? Were they from the same person who posted those?

(Because no lie, I'm not getting my hopes up that they're real but if they somehow were...oh man...)

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Oh there's definitely no doubt that they look good. The Dixie+Banjo renders actually look like they could be part of Ultimate's CSS for one, unlike the rest. They just, especially Banjo, look a bit stiff.

Actually, where did the Dixie+Banjo ones come from? Were they from the same person who posted those?

(Because no lie, I'm not getting my hopes up that they're real but if they somehow were...oh man...)
Seems like Banjo-Dixie were posted short after in 4chan. Dixie Looks fine but Banjo... Oh God... He's dead inside. That's why those two are not in the disscussion boards, Banjo seems fake.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Here’s a list of DKC music that should get in this smash:
Music Madness/Fear Factory medley
Treetop rock
Disco Train
Lockjaw’s saga
Jib Jig (remix)
Minecart Madness
Hot pursuit (remix)
Flight of the Zinger
Mining Melancholy
Funky’s Flight theme (remix)

So...many...good....songggggssss T_T

Disco Train is a BOP. So is Flight of the Zinger. Although I'd add Snakey Chantey to the mix. (even though its so similar to GangPlank Galleon)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Seems like Banjo-Dixie were posted short after in 4chan. Dixie Looks fine but Banjo... Oh God... He's dead inside. That's why those two are not in the disscussion boards, Banjo seems fake.
I don't even think he looks that bad myself. He's got the right face, it's just not very animated, which is probably why it's fake. The actual art looks fine, I think it just looks stiff, I don't think it's "horrifying" or anything.

I swear I've seen that Dixie before, but it might just be a standard pose.

SlayQueen

Smash Cadet

Dixie and Banjo came from a different person, I believe?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
im naturally leery of them but everybody also thought the renders in the ssb4 esrb leak looked bad/fake so its hard to tell just from that

that dixie one would be a great reaction image though

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Confession time, I bought the Switch when I saw that Tropical Freeze got a Switch port. Never got a Wii U so never played the game before. Still, probably the best decision I made regarding gaming.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
You know - that last 5 second clip of K. Rool stomping DK and Diddy seems suspiciously odd. It detracts from the theatric ending of the CG trailer for what? A bit of sub par slapstick comedy?

The more I think about it the more I'm of the opinion that this scene isn't finished. Unfortunately - I do think it likely means that Dixie is an echo - even if the gameplay scene segues into a trailer ala Richter.
I am on the same boat as you.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Please tell me if it's already been mentioned, as it easily coud've had, but I think Dixie could be an echo so long as her side-b move on the ground involve her hair, and in the air is or leads to gliding with her hair like in the game, with a hitbox too so it can be an attack.

I was also thinking that since side-b with Diddy is so good for being a command grab, Dixie's could also have something similar, and have decent speed and range and be a command grab if you press again (the opposite of Diddy, where you press to hit rather than the grab.)

Last edited:

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
You know - that last 5 second clip of K. Rool stomping DK and Diddy seems suspiciously odd. It detracts from the theatric ending of the CG trailer for what? A bit of sub par slapstick comedy?

I whole heartedly agree.

IDK if I am influenced - but i read rumors before K.Rool's reveal saying Dixie was revealed AFTER K-Rool in the same trailer.

I had a dream that at the start of the next direct they play the same clip (ending of the KRool trailer), but it continues with Dixie coming in and attacking K.Rool, taunting with her hair guitar, and then Sakurai appears to discuss.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie better get in, the evidence is mounting:

- Diddy's tail whip is removed
- Diddy's final smash hasn't been shown, maybe he and Dixie will share a new final Smash
- Echoes are shown to have unique animations and different moves
- Sakurai planned Dixie since Brawl
- Dixie is the same height/frame/weight as Diddy
- When Sakurai decided to make K. Rool, no way didn't Dixie come up in his mind
- She's quite literally the last big Nintendo all-star from the 90's who hasn't gotten in

I expect her to have the most unique animations too.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I like Dixie's look and I'm not familiar with that pic, but I'll play it safe. I'm not impressed with Banjo's though; he seems off.

Can confirm Dixie Kong is an echo for Diddy Kong in Smash Brothers Ultimate
And your proof is where?

Please tell me if it's already been mentioned, as it easily coud've had, but I think Dixie could be an echo so long as her side-b move on the ground involve her hair, and in the air is or leads to gliding with her hair like in the game, with a hitbox too so it can be an attack.

I was also thinking that since side-b with Diddy is so good for being a command grab, Dixie's could also have something similar, and have decent speed and range and be a command grab if you press again (the opposite of Diddy, where you press to hit rather than the grab.)
It's been discussed since Daisy was confirmed and again thanks to Chrom. In fact it comes up at least once every page, but don't fret because as someone who doesn't want an Echo whether it's Chrom-level or not, I'm used to seeing it brought up, and there are people who are in favor of it.

However, I strongly want Dixie to be unique and I'm completely happy with Wolf-Level "Clone"; some of us see that Dixie can do more with her hair than imitate DK and Diddy with it, like grab stuff, use it like an extra limb and fight as if she has an arm growing out the back of her head. I recommend checking out some moveset posts in the OP. I thought up a creative moveset but I'm definitely not the only one and each user has interesting takes on Dixie to showcase what someone with prehensile hair can do. Welcome to the thread!

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Dixie better get in, the evidence is mounting:

- Diddy's tail whip is removed
- Diddy's final smash hasn't been shown, maybe he and Dixie will share a new final Smash
- Echoes are shown to have unique animations and different moves
- Sakurai planned Dixie since Brawl
- Dixie is the same height/frame/weight as Diddy
- When Sakurai decided to make K. Rool, no way didn't Dixie come up in his mind
- She's quite literally the last big Nintendo all-star from the 90's who hasn't gotten in

I expect her to have the most unique animations too.
She also was referenced by Diddy's pink costume in previous games and like Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus who were also costume colors that became Echoes(though Chrom was an interesting case that he was an color for Ike before becoming Roy's echo) I feel like Dixie might follow the same route as well.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
lately i've had the feeling that they wouldn't make dixie an echo. maybe i'm just projecting my own wants onto the development team but for some reason i just don't see them doing that, i feel like if they were going to implement dixie she would be somewhere in the semi-clone/pseudo-unique realm.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
lately i've had the feeling that they wouldn't make dixie an echo. maybe i'm just projecting my own wants onto the development team but for some reason i just don't see them doing that, i feel like if they were going to implement dixie she would be somewhere in the semi-clone/pseudo-unique realm.
I agree, maybe I'm biased but I just think there's so much you'd have to change that it would take way more time than the standard echo. I mean you need new moves to replace the tail attacks, you need to include her dash attack, you need her hair spin, and hair grabs are pretty necessary too. And I know people like to say "you can just take stuff from DK" but I really don't think it works that way, they'd need to be brand new moves for the most part since their proportions are so different. None of the echoes so far have brand new moves, the only different move period is chrom's which is borrowed from ike.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I agree, maybe I'm biased but I just think there's so much you'd have to change that it would take way more time than the standard echo. I mean you need new moves to replace the tail attacks, you need to include her dash attack, you need her hair spin, and hair grabs are pretty necessary too. And I know people like to say "you can just take stuff from DK" but I really don't think it works that way, they'd need to be brand new moves for the most part since their proportions are so different. None of the echoes so far have brand new moves, the only different move period is chrom's which is borrowed from ike.
Not to mention all the FE fighters have similar proportions. DK and Dixie have very different builds, so a lot of work needs to go into copy/pasting his spinning Kong. Also bear in mind that as of Smash 4, DK spins at an angle when on the ground; his arms don't just stick straight out, he nearly windmills them so that one is closer to the ground in the rotation.

BirthNote BirthNote Can we get a note in the OP about this so we can easily quote why this is unknown whenever someone brings it up?
I'll get on that soon.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Not to mention all the FE fighters have similar proportions. DK and Dixie have very different builds, so a lot of work needs to go into copy/pasting his spinning Kong. Also bear in mind that as of Smash 4, DK spins at an angle when on the ground; his arms don't just stick straight out, he nearly windmills them so that one is closer to the ground in the rotation.

I'll get on that soon.
Fr, like I get the feeling that even if dixie is planned to be an echo that that could change later down the line as more and more changes are given to her

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
lmao You know Dixie has made it when she starts popping up in fake picture leaks. Wtf is up with that expression? It's like the awesome face from 2008 came back from the dead.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I read something about that in the big dicussion thread. It don't seems a big problem.
Someone saw that kind of videos with a moveset changed to another character? 'All characters doing the Bayonetta taunts' and things like that. Some programming/animation tool make it possible and and the bizarre animations can be corrected in a reasonable short time. Porting a DK move for Dixie is not a very big problem.
And I really think that the Smash Team uses something like that. Look at Pichu, the 3 Links or the rest of 'clonesque' fighters. Do you really think that all of them were created from a single scratch? They are modified versions of another fighters, some of them with different proportions.

Top Bottom